Not loving it. Not as good as my old one
Purchased to replace old Dyson that still worked but was time for an upgrade.
the turbo head does a great job on my carpet
The cord is longer than the old one
The dust bin is supposed to be no touch, everytime I empty I have to reach in to pull debris out or it would stay in there, even if I shake it.
Clip on the base of dust bin is very flimsy and I doubt will last long. It doesn't close and latch easily.
Emptying is a messy process. The old way of removing the dust bin and up ending into a bin much easier, quicker and cleaner
Power and cord wind buttons are very flimsy
The tangle head is a great idea but very impractical as it is very small.
If I'd known about these things I would not have purchased.
DO NOT recommend!!
Having had a dc29 for nearly 10 years i excitedly purchased the cordless v10, which is amazing.
Then, due to the size of our house and the frequent vacuuming we purchased a big ball pro.
Mistake! Worst things about it:
1. It’s build quality is poor. The power button and the cord retract button are flimsy plastic just waiting to break.
2. The dust cannistee does not easily seal and the clip is very flimsy, several times now I have removed the dust canister to empty it and it has opened all over the clean floor! Crazy!
3. The handle is flimsy and actually hurts to use - I simply cannot see how this is human friendly.
4. Several times when extending the hose, the connections have pinched my skin and left a decent bruise!!
5. The accceasory attachment that goes on the hose doesn’t stay out and ends up at floor level bashing on everything.
6. It should come with some kind of bag to store the accessories in like the v10 does.
7. The blurb says the connections are “quick release”. They are most definitely not.
8. The auction is average at best. On a hard floor with the correct hard floor tool it spits crumbs and sort out the back so you can really only vacuum forwards.
9. Carpet auction is also average even with the turbine head. I vacuum with this model and then went over it with the v10 and almost filled the canister. I was told by the salesperson that the suction between models was on par. It definitely is not.
10. No thought has been given to storage. It has to be taken apart just to fit it in the cupboard. The hose doesn’t wrap around the body or clip on anywhere. Why would they remove that feature?!
Overall extremely disappointed. Partly my fault for trusting Dyson based on experience, as it seems a lot of people have, but this is nothing like the quality of any previous models.
2/10 - the best positive I can think of is that you don’t have to wash filters
Two main weaknesses - the clip that stops the dirty contents falling out the bottom of the barrel (as used to empty the cleaner) comes loose very easily as it's so flimsy - many times this has happened when carrying the barrel to the outside bin and contents of barrel end up all over the floor. Secondly, when vacuuming carpet, carpet fluff builds up around nozzle head and inside the connection cylinders which has to be removed manually quite frequently and is not easy to do.
We bought this to replace an old Dyson which had served us well for 15 years. As I expected it vacuums well with strong suction. The unit is lightweight and moves around easily.
Some of the parts appear to be flimsier than the old machine- the power button, the cord rewind button and the stand to hold the head up when not in use. It feels like they will not be long lasting, but nothing has happened yet.
The lady at Good Guys was very kind and showed me this model compared to the other Dyson models without the spinning head. This one moves easily across the carpet because of the head. On the models without the spinning head, it is hard to move as the suction on the carpet is too strong. I wouldn't have noticed this myself and was originally planning to get the Multifloor. I thought the only difference was the accessories. I am grateful she was honest with me and I got this model.
The storage position for the head and cord is not very good. It's hard to find the latch to hold the cord and it falls off quite a bit.
Overall, a decent machine that does the job well, but some of the finer details have been missed, which I would expect a brand like Dyson to have everything perfect.
Love Dyson but so disappointed in this vacuum cleaner
I found it very heavy to use, the suction head was impossible to push through the carpet, so, after my initial very expensive purchase, I then had to pay over $100 more to buy the turbinehead, which works well but the barrel holding the dust is so small I am having to empty at least three times during each vacuum of my house otherwise the powerhead will not suck up the dust.
I loved my old vacuum cleaner, again a Dyson and the only reason I bought a new one was because they have stopped making the filters for my old cleaner.
To answer the question, it does tip over if it comes into contact will large objects but rights itself, so no, no problem with tipping.
Not as good as expected
The rotating head is not as good anticipated. It does not pick up visible dirt easily. Often it will blow items away from vaccuum. I have to keep going over the area several times before I am satisfied. The rotating head is useless on hard floors for the same reasons.
I bought a hard floor head (unfortunately this was not standard) but this also blows waste away from the head.
I purchased this because of its reputation. It is an expensive machine which I saved for. I am unlikely to recommend it to any one.
Don't buy it!
I've never broken a vacuum cleaner until this one. I snagged it on a door frame and popped the wheel off. So much for no snagging! It couldn't be put back on as its attached to the main frame with a small bit of plastic. It is unstable on carpet and tips going over its own cord. Suction is good but the hard floor head is small and takes ages on a big floor space. Very overrated for the price.
I used to have a DC29. I adored it from day one. then it died and i bought this. It sucks ok, but the head on it is horrible. It has a swivel up and down action that may have seemed like a good idea but every time you pull the head backwards, it lifts, and every time you push if forward again, it slams down, jarring the wrist. I had to buy an adaptor and switch to my old head, which I had luckily kept. I found the new one an absolute nightmare to use before that, both painful and so annoying I would curse the whole time i was vacuuming and have an aching wrist and elbow afterwards. Emptying it is a pain too. If you don't hold the bottom of the collector as you lift it out, it can open suddenly and drop dirt all over your vacuum, which you can't vacuum up because it is all over where the tub should go! The bottom is also very hard to get to close again after the catch runs down its track. After two years I have still found no reliably easy way to do this. Also, he catches on the different fittings of the handle, hose and pipe move apart a little as it move, and if you get a bit of skin in there when it is open then pinch it when it closes, you end up with weals. Sometimes i wonder if companies test their new equipment in household conditions at al! So, two points for suction, and for having a fitting I could buy to use my old head. Meh.
Love my Dyson!
Love the Dyson Big Ball vac! It’s easy and light weight to maneuver and just as easy to empty! The suction power is like no other I have ever used and cleaning is thorough. I find all the connections that come with the vacuum useful for different areas of cleaning. The adjustable stick is also great for getting into hard to reach places and also convenient to suit the user’s height!
I also love that it takes a few sessions before the barrel needs to be emptied!! The floor head works a treat on tiles too!
I have had my cleaner for just under two years and it has continuously had a high pitch squeal. I have had it in at Dyson and they told me that there is nothing wrong with it. As I reported this after 30 days it was basically too bad you are stuck with it. Also it doesn’t vacuum up the dog hair and I have been told I need to buy a different head. I would not recommend this vacuum. Buy another brand if you want your floors cleaned properly because they are very overrated.
Dyson maybe great engineers but have forgotten about the ergonomics for users.
Ok here goes..the carpet head is very noisy..the barrel is constantly getting stuck on corners and tips over.
They have changed the design of the attachments so you can’t use the ones from older machines..the new design has too many guides which makes changing the heads harder..you have to line up slots on the pipe with attachment slots...our major bug bear is that it now stinks of dog when we use it as there is no removable filter to clean. Also the handle material is too hard on your hands..a curved design would be much better..
I feel like the designers have forgotten about the end user.
Perfect, can't live without it
No just be careful when going around corners or upstairs. Easy to use and has its own dust bag which I like as you don't have to buy new bags all the time. I wouldn't have any other vacuum cleaner other than a Dyson which I had before so this is my second one.
I have not had one fault with mine! From day one to now it hasn’t missed a beat.
Absolutely perfect for my floors! Two kids can get pretty darn messy and this makes cleaning a breeze. The suction is perfect for both tiles and carpet. I highly recommend getting one!
not worth the additional cost
Brought a Dyson 7 years ago and the machine all of a sudden stopped working after only 6 years of use.
Went and brought a new cinetic big ball to try the and give the brand one more chance and yesterday the plastic housing all of a sudden broke off. Good suction but not worth the premuim cost. Should be more durable.
Best Vaccum Cleaner
It is definitely the best. I have two cats, so naturally I would have hair everywhere and the vaccum cleaner gets everything. I have to empty it after about 5 uses so I know it picks up a lot of things. Through I dont think its the easiest to clean.
I think this vacuume is amazing super high powered and if you purchase the power head it is just unbeatable . I find it so easy to clean the filters also it is easy to tow around the house with out it tipping over like other brands . I highly recommend this product .
Excellent all round! Highly recommended!
These are great machines, it NEVER tips over, it might lean over if you bump into something (for me its door frames) but it just rolls back upright and doesn't damage what its knocked.
It has really good suction and gets right into the carpet for a deep clean.
The only thing you do need to beware of is if something gets stuck in the small hole between the head and the hose then the 'bits' you normally vacuum up might just get flicked around... but as soon as you clear it (it has only happened to me once) then it is as good as new!
I think I have only had to clean the brush once since I have had it.
I LOVE LOVE LOVE the long crevice tool with the soft bristled brush as it makes dusting so EASY! I use it on window sills, blinds, roof, walls, and any general surfaces... dusting without the scratches!!
Best thing that ever happened to vacuuming
This vacuum cleaner is the best thing that ever happened to cleaning! I have a lot of hair in my workspace and this has made cleaning such a joy. I find it a bit hard to manoeuvre on carpet but when it goes over it picks up everything! Easy to clean and so worth the purchase!
I purchased this product a month ago ND started using it 2 weeks ago when I moved into my new place. It took a while to get used to as I had a backpack vacuum before. This vacuum suckes really well and manoeuvres easily into smaller places. Happy so far!
Disappointed. I want my 10-year old DC08 back
I am disappointed in this product, which we purchased to replace a 10 year-old Turbo DC08 only because the attachments eventually disintegrated and Dyson was no longer making new ones. I have used the Big Ball for four months before posting this review (sorry, but reviews posted after just one use are not terribly helpful).
As an existing user, I received a discount from Dyson and I am grateful for that because these things are not cheap. "Oh, the Cinetic Big Ball is a wonderful machine," gushed the Dyson sales person over the phone. Happy with my previous DC08, I believed her. But I feel let down.
1) Compared to our Turbo DC08, the overall build of the Cinetic Big Ball Animal - both the vacuum cleaner body and the attachments - is cheap and plasticky. One gets the distinct impression Dyson has tried to economize on materials and pocket the difference as its profit margin at the expense of the customer.
2) Seriously, whose idea was it to replace the on/off and cord retraction buttons (recessed in the body of the DC08) with toggles that protrude from the body? I fully expect these toggles to snap off at any time.
3) The machine rolls over too easily. If you tug on the handle and move sideways, it will tip over. This won't damage it, but it's a nuisance to stop your vacuuming and stand it upright again.
4) Emptying the bin is a HUGE pain. I have taken as much care as possible to correctly remove the bin for emptying by pushing down on the red release button as directed by Dyson, but on more than one occasion, the bin base has flipped open before I can lift the bin clear of the vacuum cleaner, spilling a bin-load of dust all over the floor and the vacuum. My message: MAKE SURE you keep one hand underneath the bin base when you release the bin from the body of the vacuum to prevent it opening unexpectedly.
5) When you open the bottom lid of the bin, any dust or hair trapped at the top of the top of the barrel will usually not fall out. You must therefore manually detach the lower section of the barrel and pull the trapped debris from the upper section of the barrel with your hand. Yuk.
6) The DC08 featured a handle with a retractable/extendable tube, which was useful when you needed to retract the head of the vacuum cleaner and get into awkward places. The Cinetic Big Ball features a long (45 cm) rigid handle which is difficult - if not impossible - to get into tight places.
7) The Cinetic Big Ball comes with a range of head attachments. I have no idea what some of them are intended for. There was no information booklet in the box to explain what the various attachments are designed for. I have experimented with some of them but others just baffle me.
I am disappointed. Compared to the DC08 of a decade ago, I feel Dyson has sacrificed functionality and convenience. I can only assume the design changes made over ten years were in pursuit of fatter margins, because they absolutely do NOT make for a better vacuum cleaner.
I want my DC08 back.