Dyson DC39
See the Best Barrel Vacuum Cleaners in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Listing monitored by Dyson

• Product is used
  • Pet OwnerYes (3) · No (3)
  • Clogging Issues Yes (1) · No (5)
OckamuraSoutheast, SA

Found in hard rubbish. Removed the blockage. Works brilliant. Best machine ever

So much suction on carpet and tiles that the vacuum head sticks to the floor. Blockages can happen in the small hose at the canister. As long as only dust and fluff is vacuumed it is brilliant

Mark
MarkBrisbane

Was excellent

This was a great cleaner,
Exceptional performance but didn’t last long and now it’s ready to be thrown out,
Don’t think I’ll buy another when other brands perform the same and last longer

Purchased in July 2016 for $499.00.

Monica Q.
Monica Q.Victoria

Durable products

Very powerful. The original turbine head is not good so upgraded a few replacement attachments over the year. The motor finally gave up after 6 years of service. Generally happy with the quality.

Purchased for $600.00.

MikNesmit
MikNesmitGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Poor design and poor quality

Besides the fact that the design for this unit takes 50% of suction to run the carpet brush, that triggerhead unit has had to be replaced twice in five years.

Purchased in December 2013 at Noel Leeming for $800.00.

DysonDyson

We are sorry to hear you are having difficulties with your Dyson DC39. Routine replacement parts are certainly not something we would expect.

If you could please forward your details to auaskdyson@dyson.com, we will be happy to help.

Motor just blown up

Use the vacuum mostly on tiles and wooden floor, after about 5 years having it the motor blow up. My old vacuum, not Dyson, was working for about 20 years. Don’t think I’m going to buy Dyson again, cost fortune and is worst than other brands

Purchased in January 2014.

DysonDyson

Disappointed in the brunch head

I’m happy with the overall performance of the vacuum cleaner, but very disappointed in the rotating brush head. I had one replaced free of charge 3 years after the original purchase as it was just out of warranty. That one has now given up the ghost but is again out of warranty and will cost over $100 to replace. I religiously clean the filter and brush head and don’t know what else I can do to extend the life of the head. The vacuum cleaner was expensive and having to replace the rotating brush head every 3 years seems excessive. Probably won’t buy a Dyson again.

Date PurchasedFeb 2013

Very Disappointed

I have had my vacuum for less than 5 years and now the motor has blown up and tripped the fuses in the house. I was vacuuming carpet for 5 minutes so it's not like it was working hard. Very surprised as I thought I get a few more years given it's infrequent use. For over $1000.00 I can't see me buying another Dyson product..

Date PurchasedDec 2013
DysonDyson

Smart shopping tips to help you make the most of Black Friday sales

Clara V.
Clara V.15 Nov 2021
smart-shopping-tips-to-help-you-make-the-most-of-black-friday-sales
The top-rated kitchen appliances for 2020!

Nathan S.1 Nov 2019
the-top-rated-kitchen-appliances-for-2020
How to be more eco-friendly when you're gifting this Christmas

Clara V.
Clara V.30 Nov 2021
how-to-be-more-eco-friendly-when-youre-gifting-this-christmas

I paid 700 for a vacuum that breaks

The dyson works great but the hose connector clips and attachment connector clips keep breaking cause they’re thin cheap plastic you think as expensive they are it wouldn’t be cheap plastic on the things you use the most the clips to take everything on and off lucky I have an old one that clips the same and I used those but I can’t use my old one now it sucks

Date PurchasedAug 2016
Chris
ChrisWangaratta

Disappointed

I have had my vacuum for 5 years and now the motor has blown up and tripped the fuses in the house. I was vacuuming carpet for 5 minutes so it's not like it was working hard. Very surprised as I thought I get a few more years given it's infrequent use. For $900.00 I can't see me buying another one.

Date PurchasedJuly 2013

danny
dannySydney

Probably the worst Dyson i've had

So this we the worst Dyson i've ever had.

I had upgraded from the older model and i ended up selling this one to someonw on gumtree.

The motor head would spin so fast that once i went to use it to pick up a broken glass and it ended up spreading the glass even further around the floor into smaller smaller pieces.

Is also would fall over all the time.

I went back to my old dyson and then got a cordless dyson and it's amazing
Don't buy this second hand

Date PurchasedFeb 2017
Vicki B
Vicki BSA, 5155

Can't believe all the negative reviews

I have had this appliance for over 6 years and have not had a problem with it. I use the hard floor attachment for our floating floors and the turbo head for the carpets. I have taken this vacuum up the river to our shack and sucked all the sand and grit out of my carpets and never had a problem. Just recently had a full service done on this appliance and expect it to last a good few years yet.

Date PurchasedDec 2011
Auntysooty
AuntysootyRichmond-Tweed, NSW

Sensational!

Date PurchasedJune 2013

BackstageRebel
BackstageRebelHunter Region, NSW

Good, but sick of replacing broken parts!

Date PurchasedJune 2012

All right cleaner, poor design.

Cleaner worked well from new but the DC39 has an internal air cleaner/filter that cannot be accessed unless the owner has the unusual shaped tool to undo the screws that hold the two halves of the body together. Therefore unless the owner has some practical skills the machine needs to be taken to a service person to be cleaned properly. Also the motor bearings are a single shield bearing instead of a double shield meaning they are more prone to ingress of dust and therefore wearing out. I have had the machine for four years and have already had to replace the motor bearings once.

Date PurchasedOct 2014
Sam J
Sam JMelbourne

It's ok but not work the money

We've had this for about 7 years now and it started fantastic but has really lost suction quickly. It's heavy and bulky and not worth the money. I would have rather spent a 1/3 on a vacuum and got to change more frequently. Will not purchase a dyson ever again.

Date PurchasedDec 2012

Jamie E.asked

I have a DC39.

Lately the animal turbine head is spinning on hard floor but does not want to turn on when on low pile carpet.
It is now also making a noise which sounds like a "sigh" but only when I turn it off.

I have stripped the turbine head down and cleaned it and it all seems fine.
There are no cracks in any hoses or in the body where I thought it may have been losing suction.

The suction seems okay but I actually have no idea how to tell if it is operating on full suction, or not.

Any ideas on what else I should check would be welcome

Many thanks

DysonDyson

If the suction at the end of the wand of your machine is strong, this can indicate the Triggerhead of your machine may need replacing. A new Triggerhead can be purchased online here: https://www.dyson.com.au/triggerhead-923181-03

If you'd like to run through diagnostics with us to confirm prior to purchase, we are only happy to help. Our Dyson Experts are available via phone, live chat or Facebook Messenger, you can find our contact details here: https://www.dyson.com.au/support/contact-us

Jamie E.

Hi, thank you for your reply.I took the barrel and filter out and cleaned it and it is now turning on short pile carpet. However; the machine is now making a noise like a "sigh" when I turn it off. I am thinking that could be related to suction.If you are familiar with this issue, please let me know. Many thanks

DysonDyson

So we can further assist, we would kindly encourage reaching out to our Dyson Experts directly and we'll be happy to help with this.

We look forward to hearing from you and assisting.

Ian
Ianasked
DC39

Does the Dyson DC39 have any visible spinning components?

Hi Ian,

Thank you for your question.

Some models do come with a Turbine head which is a spinning floor tool.

You may also find sometimes the dust will spin around the clear plastic bin.

Pam
Pamasked
DC39

I have an ongoing issue with the Dyson 39 continually shutting off. I have taken it apart, there are no clogs and I have cleaned the filter. I leave it sit - it turns on - and then shuts off again after a minute or 3 of use.

Hi Pam,

Thank you for your question and we are sorry to hear that you are experiencing an issue with your machine.

If after cleaning the filter and making sure there are no blockages there is still an issue we'd recommend reaching out to our helpline so we can run through some checks together in real time. Please contact our helpline via phone or live chat through https://www.dyson.com.au/support/contact-us and one of our experts will be able to help resolve this for you.

Ockamura

Hi Pam. There is a small flat tube behind the rotating cleaning brush head. It is not very noticeable and quite hard to get at but when I had trouble this had a few obstructions in it and was full of fluff. Since clearing that small tube I have not had a problem and the suction has been incredible and it has not shut of since. The vacuum also made a horrible noise like the electric motor brushes were on their way out but once this tube was cleared it was end of the alarming sound. Good luck.

Get an answer from our members and Dyson representatives

Dyson DC39