Dyson V8

Buying the best vacuum cleaner

Read now
Buying Guide Banner

Pros

• Lightweight build

• Easy to use

2.2

Lexus Lizzie

Lexus LizzieMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Poor battery life

Excellent when it works. Have had this only a few years and it's not used often but the battery has died already. I don't have enough confidence in this product to put out another $109 for a battery that does not last long. II bought the Dyson believing it was a top quality product but I would not buy a Dyson ever again.

Purchased in January 2017 for $899.00.

Pet OwnerNo
Floor TypeCarpet and Wood
Shelley

ShelleyWide Bay-Burnett, QLD

Disappointing Dyson

This is the third Dyson Stick - incredibly disappointing. Minimal use maybe once a fortnight for 2 years. Does not hold a charge - 30 seconds and it dies. The first stick I actually bought a genuine battery to replace that, same thing. When it works it was amazing but short half life means the big $'s you pay for it. I use to be a Dyson die hard fan but I want something that lasts that is quality.

Purchased at Harvey Norman for $899.00.

Floor TypeTiles
Sue W

Sue WSydney, NSW

Disappointing

Purchased in October 2016 for $840.00.

Pet OwnerNo
Floor TypeWood
Stick & Cordless Vacuum Cleaners

Find out how Dyson V8 compares to other Stick & Cordless Vacuum Cleaners

Gayle Kassey

Gayle KasseySouth East Queensland, QLD

Battery dies

Had 1 yr battery has died, very disappointed especially with the price you pay. Would not recommend. Only use every now and again, so the battery just died, also if you use on max it drains the battery.

Purchased in February 2018 at Harvey Norman for $800.00.

Floor TypeWood

ShadowCentral Highlands and Goldfields, VIC

So far so good!

Being cordless makes it really maneuverable - I'm glad I got this one over the V6 though (because of the extra battery life). I was able to do my full house on one battery (~5 carpeted rooms + hallway + 2 lino rooms). It has a smaller capacity than my previous one (I had to empty it maybe 6 or more times) but it's very easy to empty (again, cordless!), so that wasn't much of a problem.

For me, the make or break for whether it stands the test of time - a test which my previous (non-dyson) vacuum failed at with only a 2-3 year life.

EDIT: 4 years on, still going strong.

Purchased in December 2016.

Floor TypeCarpet, Linoleum and Tiles
Shadow

For what it's worth - this vacuum did have to go back to Dyson for servicing at one point (which they did for free). However, it came back to me in reasonable time.

Review collected in partnership with Dyson

The best kitchen appliances in 2020!

Nathan S.1 Nov 2019
the-best-kitchen-appliances-in-2020

Best Fridges and Dishwashers in 2020!

Wendy Z.12 Nov 2019
best-fridges-and-dishwashers-in-2020

Eliseb

Elisebasked

V8 Absolute

My Dyson V8 gets really hot at the back while I’m using it, too hot to continue using

DysonDyson

While the Dyson V8 can get warm during use, we certainly wouldn't expect it to get hot.

Please get in touch with our Dyson Experts via phone, live chat or Facebook Messenger and we will be happy to help. You can find our contact details here: https://www.dyson.com.au/support/contact-us

We hope to hear from you and look forward to assisting.

Raymond

Raymondasked

my name is Raymond
why Dyson charger cable have filter. what the function.

Michael
Michael

It doesn't have filter.

DysonDyson

The charger of your Dyson cord-free machine has a transformer on the plug. This is to ensure the correct power is provided to your machine.

If we can assist further, our Dyson Experts are happy to help. Ways to get in touch can be found here: https://www.dyson.com.au/support/contact-us

Pam

Pam asked

V8 Absolute

I have a Dyson v8 Motörhead in my winter home. I’m leaving for 6 months. Should I leave it plugged in or not?

DysonDyson

To maximise battery health, We would encourage fully charging the machine and unplugging it while not in use. Upon your return, charge your machine fully prior to first use.

If we can assist further, our Dyson Experts are happy to help. Please don't hesitate to get in touch. Our contact details can be found here: https://www.dyson.com.au/support/contact-us

Get an answer from our members and Dyson representatives

Dyson V8

As of December 2020, the Dyson V8 is the highest-rated cordless and stick vacuum cleaner on ProductReview. As well as being the highest rated, the V8 is also more afordable than other Dyson cordless and stick vacuum cleaners - such as the V11, which is around $300 more expensive.

Features:

• The V8 series includes 4 different vacuum cleaners, with a $100 difference in price
  • Two power options: Max Mode for extra power, which is good for tough clumps of dirt or pet hair; and Powerful Mode, which allows for longer usage, but may provide a slighlty weaker suction
  • A 5-hour charge provides up to 40 minutes of use

Points of praise:

• Some reviewers purchased the Dyson V8 after owning the V6 and reported noticing an improvement. Although they didn’t claim to be unhappy with the V6, many said that the V8 was more powerful and picked up a larger quantity of dirt and dust.
  • The highest power setting (Max Mode) latest longer than expected. One reviewer was pleased that they could vacuum their whole apartment while still having plenty of battery life left.
  • The vacuum was lightweight and easy to manoeuvre, meaning that people could clean hard-to-reach crevices and corners of the house.
  • Three large, shedding dogs proved to be no match for this vacuum cleaner. A happy reviewer mentioned that they could finally remove the mess their dogs had left behind.
Compare all 4 Dyson V8

4.4
Dyson V8 Animal

Dyson V8 Animal

4.2
CategoryStick & Cordless Vacuum CleanersStick & Cordless Vacuum CleanersStick & Cordless Vacuum CleanersStick & Cordless Vacuum Cleaners
Price (RRP) $799.00$699.00$799.00$749.00
TypeCordlessCordlessCordlessCordless
Charging Time5 hours5 hours5 hours5 hours
Running Time 40 min40 min40 min40 min
Suction (Air Watts)115 AW115 AW115 AW115 AW
Manufacturer Warranty2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)
Release dateAug 2016Aug 2016Aug 2016Aug 2016