Dyson V8

Buying the best vacuum cleaner

Read now
Buying Guide Banner

Pros

• Lightweight build

• Easy to use

Donna

DonnaSydney, NSW

Battery crap

Battery does not last long. It died in less than 2 years. I can't find my receipt so I end up calling them after 2 years which is out of warranty already. I have to pay for battery. I am not happy to pay so I refused. I will never buy Dyson anymore unless they fix the issue with battery.

Purchased in January 2019 at JB Hi-Fi Retail Stores for $540.00.

Floor TypeTiles

Was good but now battery only lasts less then 8 minutes and soft head faulty

This has started to die after only 8 minutes of use and soft roller head stopped working so I need to use the direct drive head on my wooden floors for $900 I expected a bit more..
Very unimpressed!!

Purchased in January 2020 for $900.00.

Floor TypeWood
Beema41

Beema41South-Eastern Region, NSW

Cracked body. Weak construction.

The body of this vacuum is weak and will crack over time. No help from Dyson. $120 for a new part. It is a shame as the machine works well, just unsafe with this crack.

Purchased in February 2016.

Floor TypeTiles

Find out how Dyson V8 compares to other Stick & Cordless Vacuum Cleaners

Works well until the battery started to die after a year

Purchased in November 2018 at Bing Lee Online store.

Floor TypeCarpet and Wood
AMAN

AMANSydney

Use it just about everyday

I use everyday to do a quick vacuum on tiles and loop carpet but wouldn't recommend as my only vacuum, as getting in to small areas such as window sills is quicker with my miele vacuum and battery doesn't last long enough to vacuum the whole house properly, but great for a quick tidy up.
Marked down 1 star cause you have to hold the the power button on continuously and at times get a blister on my finger from it.

Floor TypeCarpet and Tiles

The best kitchen appliances in 2020!

Nathan S.1 Nov 2019
the-best-kitchen-appliances-in-2020

Best Fridges and Dishwashers in 2020!

Wendy Z.12 Nov 2019
best-fridges-and-dishwashers-in-2020

Poor battery life and one year battery warranty

Works well however battery stopped charging after 2yrs10 months. Dyson said I hadn’t ‘looked after’ the battery properly..all I have done is vacuum. New battery only has 1 year warranty. Should be better for $800

Purchased for $800.00.

Alan

AlanSydney, NSW

Battery Disappointment - had <3 years and needs a 3rd battery

When the vacuum works it is pretty good but the batteries are diabolically bad in just over 2 years, I have had two and both just died leaving me with a machine that just flashes red lights, useful as a Christmas ornament maybe but useless for its purpose as a vacuum. After speaking to Dyson I was told I would need a 3rd battery @ $109. If the battery needs to be replace this frequently it is just not an economical machine to own. I think I will save my money and look for an alternative as the "consumable" battery makes this machine a very expensive Christmas light.

Purchased in February 2018.

SCC

SCCMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Absolutely useless

Pet vacuum they say - well the damn thing has so many blockages because it will not suck up pet fur to save itself. Absolutely useless and a waste of money. The battery will NOT run on max any longer, that died before the warranty ran out and Dyson wanted absolutely nothing to do with it - claiming it was a consumable - which is fair, but who expects their battery to die a year and a half after purchase? At this point, it’s effectively a paperweight and Dyson customer service was an absolute joke to deal with. Buyer be warned.

Purchased at David Jones Retail Stores.

Floor TypeCarpet and Wood
Violetta

ViolettaWestern District, VIC

Love stain but .......

I bought the v8 two years ago and mine hasn’t worked well. It starts and stops even though it’s charged and thourouly cleaned. I rang and was told to wash my filter but I can’t open it?
I’m disappointed.... thinking vac would be easier for me.......

Floor TypeCarpet

MarinaGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Not Happy

I bought a very well recommended product and after 3 and half years of use, the battery does not last more than 5 mins on max mode, the small motorised head has fallen apart and I can't use it and the carpet floor cleaner has bits of plastic breaking off. I have a small house at 14 sqaures and most of it is tiles and floor boards. At $800 I was expecting this to last a bit longer. I have had other brands of cleaners and have never had issues like this. I originally bought this to make vacuuming easier with a cordless product. Not sure if I will buy another one if I can get cheaper cleaners out there with same specifications.

Purchased in September 2016 at JB Hi-Fi for $799.00.

Charlie

Charlie

Died only 6 months in and Dyson have been horrible to deal with

We used this stick vac as a secondary vacuum for our house. Died only 6 months in- doesn't seem to hold a charge. Dyson make it incredibly difficult to deal with any warranty claim and the retailer are reluctant to take the product back as Dyson insist consumers go through them for warranty. Horrible experience and wouldn't do a Dyson again. All marketing spin.

Purchased in May 2020 at The Good Guys for $1,099.00.

DysonDyson

We are sorry to hear this is the experience you have had, it certainly isn't our aim and we are keen to find out what went wrong and get this sorted.

If you could please forward your review and details to auaskdyson@dyson.com we are keen to help.

Michael M.Greater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

On my 4th battery in 4 years

We have the vacuum cleaner for 4 years and we are about to get our 4th battery, roughly a battery per year. And looking at the Dyson web site the battery price has jumped from $79 to $109 since last year.

Purchased in August 2016.

Michael M.

Cool, so I will get my most recent battery purchase replaced? will do that now.

DysonDyson

Apologies, however we can't comment on individual circumstances here, however please do get in touch with our Dyson Experts as everything is assessed case by case.

Eve

Eve

Battery lasts less than a year

The battery doesn't last. I had 2 replacement batteries in the last 2 years and it would work well for a few months and the same thing will occur again. I would be lucky if it last 3 mins on max power. With the low power, it will go on for up to 15 mins but it is basically blowing all the dust/dirt around and not sucking. It is a let down for the amount of money spent on this product and the time wasted getting a replacement battery each time.

Purchased in July 2017 for $782.00.

Floor TypeWood
Geof

GeofVictoria

Batteries don't last

This Dyson is our second stick Dyson. With the first one the battery died and it was replaced under warranty. The second one didn't last long either. The vacuum was very good so we bought an absolute V8 but the battery lasted about a year again. A new one was supplied under warranty and it has lasted about 18 months - it is now dying (lucky to get 6 minutes ). The vacuum cleaner is very good but the battery problem seems unique to Dyson. Time to try another make!

Purchased in May 2017 for $850.00.

Joto

Joto

Suction is excellent on carpet. Hard floor works perfectly on low mode

Live beachside and first machine I've used that actually lifts sand with no problem. Very tidy wall mount system so it is always recharged when you need it. Very easy to empty and don't have to worry about bags.

Purchased in May 2020 at Dyson for $599.00.

Eliseb

Elisebasked

V8 Absolute

My Dyson V8 gets really hot at the back while I’m using it, too hot to continue using

DysonDyson

While the Dyson V8 can get warm during use, we certainly wouldn't expect it to get hot.

Please get in touch with our Dyson Experts via phone, live chat or Facebook Messenger and we will be happy to help. You can find our contact details here: https://www.dyson.com.au/support/contact-us

We hope to hear from you and look forward to assisting.

Raymond

Raymondasked

my name is Raymond
why Dyson charger cable have filter. what the function.

Michael
Michael

It doesn't have filter.

DysonDyson

The charger of your Dyson cord-free machine has a transformer on the plug. This is to ensure the correct power is provided to your machine.

If we can assist further, our Dyson Experts are happy to help. Ways to get in touch can be found here: https://www.dyson.com.au/support/contact-us

Pam

Pam asked

V8 Absolute

I have a Dyson v8 Motörhead in my winter home. I’m leaving for 6 months. Should I leave it plugged in or not?

DysonDyson

To maximise battery health, We would encourage fully charging the machine and unplugging it while not in use. Upon your return, charge your machine fully prior to first use.

If we can assist further, our Dyson Experts are happy to help. Please don't hesitate to get in touch. Our contact details can be found here: https://www.dyson.com.au/support/contact-us

Get an answer from our members and Dyson representatives

Dyson V8

As of December 2020, the Dyson V8 is the highest-rated cordless and stick vacuum cleaner on ProductReview. As well as being the highest rated, the V8 is also more afordable than other Dyson cordless and stick vacuum cleaners - such as the V11, which is around $300 more expensive.

Features:

• The V8 series includes 4 different vacuum cleaners, with a $100 difference in price
  • Two power options: Max Mode for extra power, which is good for tough clumps of dirt or pet hair; and Powerful Mode, which allows for longer usage, but may provide a slighlty weaker suction
  • A 5-hour charge provides up to 40 minutes of use

Points of praise:

• Some reviewers purchased the Dyson V8 after owning the V6 and reported noticing an improvement. Although they didn’t claim to be unhappy with the V6, many said that the V8 was more powerful and picked up a larger quantity of dirt and dust.
  • The highest power setting (Max Mode) latest longer than expected. One reviewer was pleased that they could vacuum their whole apartment while still having plenty of battery life left.
  • The vacuum was lightweight and easy to manoeuvre, meaning that people could clean hard-to-reach crevices and corners of the house.
  • Three large, shedding dogs proved to be no match for this vacuum cleaner. A happy reviewer mentioned that they could finally remove the mess their dogs had left behind.
Compare all 4 Dyson V8

4.4
Dyson V8 Animal

Dyson V8 Animal

4.2
CategoryStick & Cordless Vacuum CleanersStick & Cordless Vacuum CleanersStick & Cordless Vacuum CleanersStick & Cordless Vacuum Cleaners
Price (RRP) $799.00$699.00$799.00$749.00
TypeCordlessCordlessCordlessCordless
Charging Time5 hours5 hours5 hours5 hours
Running Time 40 min40 min40 min40 min
Suction (Air Watts)115 AW115 AW115 AW115 AW
Manufacturer Warranty2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)
Release dateAug 2016Aug 2016Aug 2016Aug 2016