Dyson V8

Buying the best vacuum cleaner

Read now
Buying Guide Banner

Pros

• Lightweight build

• Easy to use

• Product is used
  • Pet OwnerYes (166) · No
  • Battery Life

Sarah C.

Sarah C.Sydney, NSW

Not worth your money.

After upgrading from the V6 Dyson to the V8 I found it was pretty much the same.

Max suction still doesn’t pick up anything bigger than dust or fur. You have to go over and over the same spot for anything bigger.

Attachments options are helpful with most jobs in the house but would just pay the extra for a new model of Dyson given the battery time.

Battery time on this machine is poor and I find I still have more cleaning to do after one session of charging.

This vacuum catch’s on mats and pulls up threads.

Tile cleaning is fine but carpet cleaning to collect dust means u need it on MAX suction and it is hard to push along giving u tired arms.

Purchased in December 2019 for $599.00.

CountryLass

CountryLassSouth East Queensland, QLD

DO NOT buy this Dyson stick vacuum!

I bought the Dyson V8 Absolute + in late 2017 and have just had to order my third battery. The quality is terrible and for a battery to last so little time is shocking. Dyson service is absolutely no help whatsoever. I will never buy another Dyson product again.

Purchased in October 2017 at The Good Guys for $850.00.

Floor TypeTiles
Beema41

Beema41South-Eastern Region, NSW

Cracked body. Weak construction.

The body of this vacuum is weak and will crack over time. No help from Dyson. $120 for a new part. It is a shame as the machine works well, just unsafe with this crack.

Purchased in February 2016.

Floor TypeTiles

Val.Emma

Val.EmmaGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Very Disappointed....

Purchased at David Jones Retail Stores.

Jeff C - Australia

Jeff C - AustraliaSouth East Queensland, QLD

Battery life very poor and a "very dumb" battery charger

Purchased in June 2019 at JB Hi-Fi Online Store for $699.00.

Product is usedWeekly
Floor TypeCarpet and Wood

The best kitchen appliances in 2020!

Nathan S.1 Nov 2019
the-best-kitchen-appliances-in-2020

Best Fridges and Dishwashers in 2020!

Wendy Z.12 Nov 2019
best-fridges-and-dishwashers-in-2020
JAMES P

JAMES PGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Battery life shocking from new told to run on low speed - not acceptable

Battery life is not acceptable at all, when speaking to customer service when unit was new I was advised not to use it on High as this will drain the battery faster, however on slow speed it does not clean as well especially on carpet with dog hairs this means it is not fit for purpose.
Unit is just out of warranty and battery lasts a total of 1.5 minutes and Dyson will not consider a warranty or goodwill on battery even though I had issues from the start and especially when family members purchased same units same day and they have experienced same issues, however Dyson replaced their batteries.
Would never buy a Dyson battery operated device again never had an issue with Electrolux in the past and their customer service.

Product is usedRarely
Jean

JeanSydney, NSW

The best investment ever

Having children and pets this Dyson is easily my favourite home appliance. My floors are mostly hardwood with some carpet areas. Cordless and super powered, it's a dream to use! Dyson for life.

Purchased at Myer.

Product is usedWeekly
Manaaki H.

Manaaki H.South East Queensland, QLD

Very efficient without cord but battery is a major let down over time

Purchased in January 2017 at JB Hi-Fi for $599.00.

AMAN

AMANSydney

Use it just about everyday

I use everyday to do a quick vacuum on tiles and loop carpet but wouldn't recommend as my only vacuum, as getting in to small areas such as window sills is quicker with my miele vacuum and battery doesn't last long enough to vacuum the whole house properly, but great for a quick tidy up.
Marked down 1 star cause you have to hold the the power button on continuously and at times get a blister on my finger from it.

Poor battery life

We have had our Dyson for 18 months. The battery now dies while vacuuming after about five minutes, this is on wooden floors.
I have been meticulous in cleaning the filters, and also charging the battery.
We will not be purchasing another Dyson.

Purchased in October 2019 for $700.00.

Floor TypeWood
Alan

AlanSydney, NSW

Battery Disappointment - had <3 years and needs a 3rd battery

When the vacuum works it is pretty good but the batteries are diabolically bad in just over 2 years, I have had two and both just died leaving me with a machine that just flashes red lights, useful as a Christmas ornament maybe but useless for its purpose as a vacuum. After speaking to Dyson I was told I would need a 3rd battery @ $109. If the battery needs to be replace this frequently it is just not an economical machine to own. I think I will save my money and look for an alternative as the "consumable" battery makes this machine a very expensive Christmas light.

Purchased in February 2018.

Floor TypeCarpet, Tiles and Wood
SCC

SCCMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Absolutely useless

Pet vacuum they say - well the damn thing has so many blockages because it will not suck up pet fur to save itself. Absolutely useless and a waste of money. The battery will NOT run on max any longer, that died before the warranty ran out and Dyson wanted absolutely nothing to do with it - claiming it was a consumable - which is fair, but who expects their battery to die a year and a half after purchase? At this point, it’s effectively a paperweight and Dyson customer service was an absolute joke to deal with. Buyer be warned.

Purchased at David Jones Retail Stores.

Violetta

ViolettaWestern District, VIC

Love stain but .......

I bought the v8 two years ago and mine hasn’t worked well. It starts and stops even though it’s charged and thourouly cleaned. I rang and was told to wash my filter but I can’t open it?
I’m disappointed.... thinking vac would be easier for me.......

Floor TypeCarpet
Wendy D

Wendy D

Big Improvement on the V6

Bought this as an upgrade to the V6 Absolute. Got it $250 off RRP from Dyson in the Black Friday sale. Canister release is far easier, hard floor brush handles leaves and larger dirt more easily. Very happy with my purchase. :) Only downside is that the wall mounted V6 dock has to be changed out for a new dock (provided).

Purchased in November 2020 at Dyson.

MarinaGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Not Happy

I bought a very well recommended product and after 3 and half years of use, the battery does not last more than 5 mins on max mode, the small motorised head has fallen apart and I can't use it and the carpet floor cleaner has bits of plastic breaking off. I have a small house at 14 sqaures and most of it is tiles and floor boards. At $800 I was expecting this to last a bit longer. I have had other brands of cleaners and have never had issues like this. I originally bought this to make vacuuming easier with a cordless product. Not sure if I will buy another one if I can get cheaper cleaners out there with same specifications.

Purchased in September 2016 at JB Hi-Fi for $799.00.

Floor TypeCarpet, Tiles and Wood

Eliseb

Elisebasked

V8 Absolute

My Dyson V8 gets really hot at the back while I’m using it, too hot to continue using

DysonDyson

While the Dyson V8 can get warm during use, we certainly wouldn't expect it to get hot.

Please get in touch with our Dyson Experts via phone, live chat or Facebook Messenger and we will be happy to help. You can find our contact details here: https://www.dyson.com.au/support/contact-us

We hope to hear from you and look forward to assisting.

Raymond

Raymondasked

my name is Raymond
why Dyson charger cable have filter. what the function.

Michael
Michael

It doesn't have filter.

DysonDyson

The charger of your Dyson cord-free machine has a transformer on the plug. This is to ensure the correct power is provided to your machine.

If we can assist further, our Dyson Experts are happy to help. Ways to get in touch can be found here: https://www.dyson.com.au/support/contact-us

Pam

Pam asked

V8 Absolute

I have a Dyson v8 Motörhead in my winter home. I’m leaving for 6 months. Should I leave it plugged in or not?

DysonDyson

To maximise battery health, We would encourage fully charging the machine and unplugging it while not in use. Upon your return, charge your machine fully prior to first use.

If we can assist further, our Dyson Experts are happy to help. Please don't hesitate to get in touch. Our contact details can be found here: https://www.dyson.com.au/support/contact-us

Get an answer from our members and Dyson representatives

Dyson V8

As of December 2020, the Dyson V8 is the highest-rated cordless and stick vacuum cleaner on ProductReview. As well as being the highest rated, the V8 is also more afordable than other Dyson cordless and stick vacuum cleaners - such as the V11, which is around $300 more expensive.

Features:

• The V8 series includes 4 different vacuum cleaners, with a $100 difference in price
  • Two power options: Max Mode for extra power, which is good for tough clumps of dirt or pet hair; and Powerful Mode, which allows for longer usage, but may provide a slighlty weaker suction
  • A 5-hour charge provides up to 40 minutes of use

Points of praise:

• Some reviewers purchased the Dyson V8 after owning the V6 and reported noticing an improvement. Although they didn’t claim to be unhappy with the V6, many said that the V8 was more powerful and picked up a larger quantity of dirt and dust.
  • The highest power setting (Max Mode) latest longer than expected. One reviewer was pleased that they could vacuum their whole apartment while still having plenty of battery life left.
  • The vacuum was lightweight and easy to manoeuvre, meaning that people could clean hard-to-reach crevices and corners of the house.
  • Three large, shedding dogs proved to be no match for this vacuum cleaner. A happy reviewer mentioned that they could finally remove the mess their dogs had left behind.
Compare all 4 Dyson V8

4.4
Dyson V8 Animal

Dyson V8 Animal

4.2
CategoryStick & Cordless Vacuum CleanersStick & Cordless Vacuum CleanersStick & Cordless Vacuum CleanersStick & Cordless Vacuum Cleaners
Price (RRP) $799.00$699.00$799.00$749.00
TypeCordlessCordlessCordlessCordless
Charging Time5 hours5 hours5 hours5 hours
Running Time 40 min40 min40 min40 min
Suction (Air Watts)115 AW115 AW115 AW115 AW
Manufacturer Warranty2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)
Release dateAug 2016Aug 2016Aug 2016Aug 2016