Dyson V8
4.4 from 1,205 reviews

See the Best Stick Vacuum Cleaners in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

P. Evans

P. EvansMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Used everyday

Good lil stock vacuum for all flooring types- we use on floating floor, tiles & carpet with good results. The “normal” suction is a bit weak but ok for hard floors, “high” suction drains the battery pretty quickly. Good attachments and overall happy with product.

Floor Type Carpet, Tiles and Wood

Lee-Lee J.

Lee-Lee J.Sydney, NSW

Battery dies quickly

I have had my Dyson v8 absolute for nearly two years. It was great when it was new but now the battery dies really quickly, only lasting about ten minutes when it’s supposed to last for 40! It’s so annoying having to vacuum in small areas and then having to wait for it to recharge. It’s handy for cleaning spills etc but not for doing the whole house.

Purchased at Myer Retail Stores for $899.00.

Floor Type Carpet, Tiles and Wood
Martin

MartinSydney, NSW

2 batteries under 4 years - not worth the price it is asking

Purchased at David Jones Retail Stores for $750.00.

Floor Type Wood
Sandy

SandySydney, NSW

Great customer service.

Tile and carpet. Performs very well. Rarely bring out the Meile vac. When the battery failed, I rang customer service who looked up my warranty and sent me a brand new battery!

Purchased in January 2016 at Bing Lee Physical store for $700.00.

Suzanne34

Suzanne34Southwest, VIC

Mine as well as a friends stopped charging after a year or so. Disgraceful given the cost

I bought one of these and so did a friend at different times. Mine stopped completely just out of warranty and a friends stopped in warranty. Disgraceful given the cost. Theyve gone downhill. Avoid

Purchased in July 2014 at The Good Guys Physical store for $900.00.

Floor Type Tiles

Liss R

Liss RSouth East Queensland, QLD

A great vacuum

I use it multiple times a day and find it so easy to use and clean out. Dyson are amazing with customer service if you encounter problems (we needed a new battery and they sent it asap for free). Sometimes I have to go over crumbs etc a few times to pick them up but overall I love this vacuum. Only thing I don’t like is when battery runs out you can’t use it for a while. I wish you could plug it into the charge cable and keep using it.

Purchased in November 2016 at Harvey Norman for $900.00.

Floor Type Tiles and Wood

Belinda

BelindaPerth, WA

Love the double heads

With a border collie who constantly sheds hair this vacuum cleaner is a god send, the suction is great. Love the fact that it has the 2 heads which both work well, the carpet one picks up all of her hair with a breeze. The only things that do bother me are the dog hair easily gets caught around the roller as well as the smaller roller. I did take this up with Dyson and they sent me 2 replacement heads as one has worn the rubber away from the actual head. Also i dont like the battery life, it does fade very quickly.

Purchased in August 2018 at The Good Guys for $850.00.

Maureen

MaureenIllawarra, NSW

Perfect vacuum love love love my new Dyson

Wonderful vacuum cleaner easy to use simple to set up ready to go at any time no cords no hassels should have bought it a long time ago happy housewife

Purchased in August 2019.

FreshGal

FreshGal

Not worth it

I bought this thinking it was gonna be a game changer but unfortunately the battery, suction and overall quality really let me down. I’m now considering a Kmart model as it’s cheaper

Purchased in January 2017 at Harvey Norman for $900.00.

Floor Type Carpet and Wood
Dyson Team ..Dyson

We are sorry to hear you are unhappy with your Dyson V8 machine.

Our Dyson Experts are available and happy to discuss your concerns. Please just email auaskdyson@dyson.com and we will be in touch.

DJ21

DJ21South East Queensland, QLD

My fur baby & clean home are both very important to me & the V8 Animal has been the best gift I've ever bought myself!

Life as a dog mum and domestic goddess doesn't always go hand in hand but thanks to the Dyson V8 Animal I am able to have the best of both and it truly is the best gift I've ever bought myself! It was worth the money and reasonably priced! Lightweight, compact, great design and I love everything it does. I've already recommended it to family and friends too because it's that good.

Purchased in June 2019 at The Good Guys for $699.00.

Floor Type Carpet and Tiles

Excellent product from an excellent brand.

I have had a Dyson V8 Absolute for about three months now and it has definitely been one of the better purchases I've made (!). It is easy to use and easy to install. It has enough power to run for 15-30 minutes and I have yet to run out of battery during use (and I use it a lot!). It is has many different attachments to use for hard floor, smaller areas etc - they all work quite well.

I have not had any problems with this Dyson V8 Absolute model. I'd recommend this product to friends and family!

Purchased in April 2019 at Dyson for $350.00.

Floor Type Carpet, Linoleum, Tiles and Wood

Jelena

JelenaGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Efficiency and great quality

Dyson vaccum V8 Animal using on carpet and tiles recently started using the product in my car as well. Amazing less dust in house since using this product. Great performance!!!

Purchased in April 2019 at Dyson for $799.00.

Tingroove

TingrooveCentral Queensland, QLD

Battery Quality is Ordinary for the Price

We bought three on the same day (Mothers day and good price compared to other shops). Two of the units batteries have failed under two years. Battery is poor quality for the price of the unit. Other than that it does a good job.

Purchased in May 2017 at Harvey Norman Appliances Physical Store for $600.00.

Floor Type Tiles

Glen Busby

Glen BusbyWide Bay-Burnett, QLD

Great appliance can’t do without

Used frequently on carpets and tiles. On carpet, picks up copious quantity of cat fur. On tiles works just as well but can be noisy at times. The wife suffers allergies and find the appliance very helpful

Purchased in January 2018.

Floor Type Carpet
john l

john lSydney, NSW

GREAT ON ALL SURFACES

Works well on carpet and tiles. The beauty is the unit is cordless and i do not have to have power points ready available to plug in.
Pet hair is gone in a flash as is the dirt bought in by visitors.
It is very easy to clean the unit which is a plus.
Would not fault the unit and can give Dyson a big plus

Purchased in June 2018.

Master of pepper

Master of pepperCentral Highlands and Goldfields, VIC

wifes new lover

I brought this ode vacuum the Dyson v8 animal on special at Harvey Norman for $699 if i remember correctly what more can i say but she loves it (beginning to think more than me) she tried my sisters a v6 model i think and wanted one so much i got sick of hearing about it and surprised her with the v8 animal modal (got this model because the man/child in me liked the name im also a rev head and small dog owner that hates fur everywhere) our house has never been cleaner my garage now has a Dyson dc 3 to use in it happy wife and a happy life thanks Dyson awesome product

Purchased in June 2019 at Harvey Norman for $699.00.

Floor Type Carpet, Linoleum and Tiles

Anne-Maree Gillies

Anne-Maree GilliesSydney, NSW

Cat owners need this in their lives

Purchased in March 2017 at Harvey Norman for $800.00.

Peeb

PeebPerth, WA

Perfect! Best product ever bought.

I use the V8 Absolute on carpet and wood flooring and it is the best. Both floor types get cleaned really well without a hassle. It works really well on the carpet and wood floor and cannot believe the powerful suction.

Purchased in December 2018 at Myer.

Floor Type Carpet and Wood

John Scott

John ScottTIMBOON

A must have for the busy families

I just love this and have had it for just over two years now. We use it for all our vacuuming, carpets and tiled floors. The vacuum works a treat on all surfaces and I would never buy anything else. I recently, rang about a problem, and thought I was in warranty. It was six weeks out. The customer service represensative worked out it was the battery. But Dyson gave me the battery free of charge as I had not made a claim in the two years. I also use the big Dyson, but it comes out only for the heavy cleaning, like spring cleaning.

Purchased in April 2017 at Appliances Online for $849.00.

Barbara Aldridge

Barbara AldridgeSouth East Queensland, QLD

Best Vacuum Ever

Will not buy any other brand. Great on tiles and carpet. After sales service is great. Eady to use. I have two dogs and this was why I bought a Dyson.

Purchased in September 2016.

jim

jimasked

V8 Animal

From the very first day using our V8 Animal, it left marks on the hardwood floor. The marks come up but not without extra time and effort. Since the machine was marketed for carpet and hardwood, I think the company should supply a solution w/o cost. I requested help from Dyson and they sent new wheels which do the same thing. I know many users experience the same marks. Will Dyson give a free solution so that I can feel good about purchasing from the company again? Jim Cochran jimcochran123@gmail.com

Brickwood

Brickwoodasked

We have had our Dyson V8 for nearly two years and we find that the suction isnt as good as it used to be. We have cleaned it to ensure there are no blockages but hasnt made a difference. Please help

Dyson Team ..Dyson

We are sorry to hear about this. Understanding you have gone through some troubleshooting, we would kindly suggest checking the troubleshooting tool below to ensure all areas of the machine have been checked:

This should help solve the problem, however if not or if we can assist with any further queries, please email auaskdyson@dyson.com and our Dyson Experts will be in touch very shortly to help.

Duledeasked

Have a V8 with a D version battery. Today it started up itself and I had to remove battery to turn off. If I get the battery partially in it starts immediately. Power button does nothing. Won't stop machine. But when you press the power button you get the lights on battery while no LEDs without depression. Immediately as you try to insert battery though you still have a running vacuum with no LEDs as soon as some contact is made in motor housing handle. Is this a short or something in the motor housing or has the battery got a short meaning power is going through without need of power button being pressed?

Nerdy
Nerdy

I have not come across that problem before but l would imagine it would be in tthe motor housing handle so l would recommend to contact Dyson and see about getting it repaired. Is it undrr warranty? If not ask if they can quote you a price for repair. Ihope this helps thanks

Dyson Team ..Dyson

This certainly doesn't sound right.

We would kindly ask you to remove the battery from your machine and email auaskdyson@dyson.com with your details. Our Dyson Experts will be in touch with you ASAP to assist.

Hi Nerdy & Dyson Team

In September I bought a Dyson V8 from Dyson Outlet in the UK. I'm not in Australasia. Unfortunately, what I had hoped to do was to have a single main purchase and then buy a motor housing and battery which is fine due to the ease of removal and fitting of bin and filter unit to motor housing.

The additional motor housing I bought is not the D version as on the Absolute Pro that I'd purchased so I then had to find the second type of battery.

I bought a Vanon battery which had a good review and plenty of power. Apparently it is Chinese. I spoke to the person I bought the motor housing off after I had the problem, which has taken two months to occur, and he said it is likely the battery has burnt the housing out. Bought both in September 2019.

Ultimately, I have now bought a new battery (Dyson) and a new housing as I needed to replace asap.

That said, if you suspect a certain problem has been caused it probably still won't be worth my having it serviced as even though the unit was legitimately Dyson the battery wasn't and this will void any warranty on motor housing.

Purchase of the new housing was equivalent to $105AUS and battery $115AUS and a service in Dyson UK would be minimum of $190AUS to sort out what would either be a housing or battery problem. Battery and housing are actually both capable of running but won't risk running anything again on the Chinese battery just in case. As said it is as if the housing or battery have now set themselves up for permanent running as soon as battery placed in housing. Can't stop it running.

Probably safer assuming all is a big boo boo on my part. It appears to be a case of buy cheap / more powerful, buy twice. My own stupidity. I hope others may glean some awareness that this can happen and because there was a smoke smell when I eventually got to stop the unit by removing screws and battery, that a cost saving could have ended up causing a fire and past that I'd rather not think. Where there's smoke there will eventually be fire and I was just lucky I was in to stop it proceeding down that route.

So the issue is not down to a faulty Dyson motor but looks like a potential issue when using a non Dyson battery.
I have always used upright Hoovers but they never last long without becoming extremely noisy over time, The Numatic Henry and James cleaners I've had have been great and are easily so much easier to use than any upright I've used and have a decent length wire so one change of plug does whole house. Most recently I bought a Shark Lift-away which is excellent too and the only disappointment I have with that is that within a week of buying it for approximately $470AUS that I'd decided to try out a Dyson and this has caused me to let the Shark sit unused.

I had never liked maneuvering the older upright Dysons or the pull arounds so avoided buying my own. As I am getting older and wanted lighter vacuums, 2 being necessary for upstairs and down, I thought I'd take a gamble on Dyson V8.

It may not have the punch of the Numatics or a full power upright but I think it is perfectly strong enough for most use and does a fine job in my home. Only rarely do I punch it into Max mode as Min is fine. But it does it so much easier than having to drag a wire around, all the while not having to worry about the motorhead cutting into outer coating of the machines own cable. I love the independence a cord free gives. The V8 Absolute Pro; which was affordable for me; is absolutely brilliant.

Many thanks BTW for answering.

Get an answer from our members and Dyson representatives

Dyson V8 Absolute Plus

Power SourceBatteryBatteryBattery
Charging Time5 hours5 hours5 hours
Running Time 40 min40 min40 min
Suction (Air Watts) 115 AW115 AW115 AW
Manufacturer Warranty2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)
Release dateAug 2016Aug 2016Aug 2016