Dyson V8

Vacuum Cleaners Buying Guide

4.4

1,295 reviews
  • Product is used
  • Pet OwnerYes (128) · No (96)
  • Battery Life

Very disappointed

Work good for 2 years, after that the battery last 7 minutes only i had to buy a new battery for $109 and 2 filters for $50 because of the poor suction i have extended warranty but all these are not covered very disappointing

Purchased in December 2016 at Harvey Norman for A$1,050.00.

Floor Type Tiles
K&K

K&KGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Not worth the price tag

Dyson has always been our first choice of brand when comes to vacuum. This is our second Dyson vacuum, we feel with such strong brand the quality should back its reputation. We had a good experience with our first Dyson and still working after 6 years. However, our second V8 stick is very problematic after 2.5 years, brush head stopped spinning, max mode only last two seconds then it dies and have to charge two minutes re-enable the battery before use again on the low power mode and suction power is no longer strong. Disappointed with only 2.5 years of longevity, definitely expecting more from Dyson’s price tag!

Purchased in November 2017.

Product is used Weekly
Floor Type Carpet
Raegan M.

Raegan M.Hunter Region, NSW

Good but battery life is poor

If I could have my time over I would invest in the new model with longer battery life and larger barrel. It does have good suction power, but I can not clean my kitchen, dining and lounge room without having to charge it.

Purchased at JB Hi-Fi.

Jelly

JellySouth East Queensland, QLD

Battery life an issue. Expensive replacement.

Works well until about 18 months but it takes you until the warranty is expired to realise how quickly the battery runs down. Then very expensive replacement - not sure that 1/6 original cost of vacuum every 2 years is worth it.

Don’t buy lasted 2 years

2 years old, 6 year pro duct care but does not cover batteries, Dyson want $130 to replace as the machine sucks more juice and I should be happy with that..

Purchased in March 2018 at Harvey Norman for A$1,299.00.

Floor Type Linoleum
Nel

NelGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Love it

I have been vacuuming a lot more now due to the ease of use. No heavy lifting of old vacuum machine anymore which helps with my back pain. My wrist was a a bit sore using the Dyson initially but it didn't take me long to get used to it.

Purchased in September 2019 at The Good Guys for A$599.00.

leontt9

leontt9Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Rubbish

I never spend so much money on Vacuum before. This is my first time I spend that much money on a Dyson Brand. I bought a V8 animal it fail after 4 months of use. I call up Dyson customer care they said it the charger problem so they send me a new charger. OK! Been waiting for 10 days the charger arrived plug in still doesn’t work ok call up again and now they said it must be a battery. Still doesn’t work and now the filter problem. Now I have to wait for the filter. OMG! 3 week without a vacuum to vac my house. My friend have a $200 cordless vacuum from Godfrey and it been 2 years still going strong. For a $600 Dyson? Just rubbish. Waste of money.

This will be my first Dyson I own and will be my last!

Purchased in December 2019 at Stan Cash for A$600.00.

Floor Type Carpet and Tiles
Michael_Moch

Michael_MochMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Battery Life???

Great when it's working but strange battery life. When in Turbo it stops after about a minute, I then place it on the charging cradle for about 5 seconds and use it again for about a minute. I can do this about 5 times without a problem. But that doesn't make sense. Why does it stop in the first place if it's not really flat?

Purchased in August 2018 at Harvey Norman for A$800.00.

Dyson Team ..Dyson

We would encourage emailing auaskdyson@dyson.com as our Dyson Experts will be happy to help run through diagnostics to find out what is happening with your machine and assist with a resolution.

We hope to hear from you and look forward to assisting.

tandt

tandtGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Waste of money- doesn't hold charge for long enough.

This vacuum doesn't hold the charge for long enough to even vacuum under the lounge cushions. I have had many Dyson vacuums in the past and have been extremely happy with them. This is definitely the worst one! and it's Expensive!

Hayden L

Hayden LGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Good cordless vacuum!

I brought my Dyson V8 near late Christmas. It works better than V6 which I had before. I use it for both tile and wooden floor. It can clean the surface quite good. The battery is last longer and more powerful than my V6.

Purchased in December 2019 at eBay for A$749.00.

Floor Type Tiles and Wood
stayxtrue

stayxtrueGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Terrible Battery Life

We bought this vacuum a couple of years ago and it was good at first however the battery is now not lasting anywhere near as long as it should be. We purchased this when it was more torward the $799 end and I can honestly say that having to buy a new vacuum every 2 years just to have some sort of Battery life is terrible! We have had nothing but issues iwth our Barrel Vacuum as things like clips were breaking on it yet dyson was saying it was due to being rough when this was not the case.

Now we have a stick vacuum that used to vacuum our whole house and now it barely lasts 15 minutes and on max mode you get around 45 seconds of use out of it which is horrible. Its safe to say that I dont think I will be buying anymore dysons.

Purchased at Harvey Norman for A$799.00.

Shelley

ShelleyWide Bay-Burnett, QLD

Disappointing Dyson

This is the third Dyson Stick - incredibly disappointing. Minimal use maybe once a fortnight for 2 years. Does not hold a charge - 30 seconds and it dies. The first stick I actually bought a genuine battery to replace that, same thing. When it works it was amazing but short half life means the big $'s you pay for it. I use to be a Dyson die hard fan but I want something that lasts that is quality.

Purchased at Harvey Norman for A$899.00.

Product is used Monthly
Floor Type Tiles

Very good one!

Dyson always the best choice, I am using it every day! Save a lot of time, can be use for all type of flooring. Convenience, all purposes uses and absolutely love it!

Purchased in June 2019 at Myer for A$499.00.

Floor Type Carpet

DemonSouth East Queensland, QLD

Battery Problems en counted; less than 2 years

Purchased V8 machine in June 2018 so still under warranty (just). Has been performing OK. Found it good on carpet but not so good on wood floor. Have to use it on maximum power to pickup dirty from wood floor. It is certainly very handy and convenient to use. I now have a battery issue. I recharge until all 3 blue lights are solid. I switch it on and it stops in less than a minute. Not very pleased considering the initial cost. There seems to be a widespread problem with their batteries.
I have been in touch with Dyson via email and am awaiting a response. I am requesting a replacement battery.
Will advise further.

Purchased in June 2018 at Harvey Norman.

Demon

Dyson have responded to my warranty claim with a new battery. Customer service were very quick and courteous. A positive experience. Thankyou.

Bateup

BateupSouth East Queensland, QLD

Good While It Lasts

Purchased in January 2018 at Myer for A$699.00.

Floor Type Carpet and Tiles

Hustler73

Hustler73Sydney, NSW

Didn't last 2 years

Battery life was horrible. Recharge time was excessively long for the amount of run time you got. Plastic pieces were super fragile. Went in our council throw out last week and will never buy a Dyson again.

Purchased in May 2018 at Harvey Norman for A$897.00.

Damien Z.

Damien Z.Greater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Great portable vacuum, but ergonomics needs to improve

I am vacuuming on hard wood and a lounge rug. 3 bedroom apartment. I use the higher suction on the rug, so much better than my old vacuum (Miele), sucks up everything, doesn't look that dirty but you actually can see what was in the rug. Use the lower suction on the hardwood. Love the portability aspect, vacuum can really get quite low under beds. Attachments are great but, the ergonomics of the handle needs to be improved. On the bottom bone on my thumb, as i'm holding the vacuum, if i vacuumed the whole apartment everyday, I'd develop a blister, or a callus, not comfortable at all. That is the reason for losing a star. Everything else, cannot complain about.

Purchased in March 2020 at Dyson for A$499.00.

joy

joyRichmond-Tweed, NSW

the life of a battery is 2.5 years with little use, cost $100 to replace on a 800dollar vacum?

Purchased in June 2018 at The Good Guys for A$789.00.

Product is used Weekly
Darren Kelly

Darren Kelly

Will Never use anything else again

Such a quality product, easy and light cleaning option, pricey but worth the extra dollars for the convenience and power of this unit. Will definitely upgrade when this unit is done.

Purchased at The Good Guys for A$799.00.

Floor Type Carpet, Tiles and Wood
Jie Yan

Jie YanGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Battery died by fantastic customer service

The battery died a month after the two year ownership period. Although outside their 2-year battery replacement guarantee, they were great in honouring a free replacement battery, shipped and received within a few days of the call. Runs great again, and look forward to another year or two of excellent service out of it before another battery swap.

Corey P.

Corey P.asked

V8

My v8 dyson sucks fine on both modes but the power head tends to cut out and not work, not pulsating, the roller and all connections are clean, i even connected my v6 to it and does the same thing, could this be a battery issue?

charlie

charlieasked

V8

Hi, my Dyson V8 total clean cuts out after a minute or so of use. If I then put it back on charge for even a second, it works for another minute and this can be repeated. When charging it only charges to 2 out 3 of the blue lights and then all the blue lights go off. Any ideas? New battery or problem with the charging dock?

Dyson Team ..Dyson

This sounds like the battery could be coming towards the end of it's useful life, however we would encourage getting in touch with our Dyson Experts to confirm this.

Our helpline is open Monday - Friday 8am - 7pm and Saturday - Sunday 8:30am - 4pm AEST. Please just give us a call at your convenience with your machine handy.

If you are not in Australia, please visit www.dyson.com and press "Contact Us" for the local contact information of the Dyson helpline in your area.

We look forward to hearing from you and assisting.

MarioD

MarioDasked

V8

Does the charger gets warm by the touch when charging?

Dyson Team ..Dyson

When the machine is charging, it isn't abnormal for the charger to feel slightly warm to the touch.

That being said, if you feel something isn't quite right or are concerned, please unplug your machine and give our Dyson Experts a call on 1800 239 766 with it handy. Our helpline is open Monday - Friday 8am - 7pm and Saturday - Sunday 8:30am - 4pm AEST.

Get an answer from our members and Dyson representatives