Dyson V8

Buying the best vacuum cleaner

Read now
Buying Guide Banner

Pros

• Lightweight build

• Easy to use

• Product is used
  • Pet OwnerYes (17) · No (14)
  • Battery Life

Donna

DonnaSydney, NSW

Battery crap

Battery does not last long. It died in less than 2 years. I can't find my receipt so I end up calling them after 2 years which is out of warranty already. I have to pay for battery. I am not happy to pay so I refused. I will never buy Dyson anymore unless they fix the issue with battery.

Purchased in January 2019 at JB Hi-Fi Retail Stores for $540.00.

Poor battery life and one year battery warranty

Works well however battery stopped charging after 2yrs10 months. Dyson said I hadn’t ‘looked after’ the battery properly..all I have done is vacuum. New battery only has 1 year warranty. Should be better for $800

Purchased for $800.00.

MarinaGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Not Happy

I bought a very well recommended product and after 3 and half years of use, the battery does not last more than 5 mins on max mode, the small motorised head has fallen apart and I can't use it and the carpet floor cleaner has bits of plastic breaking off. I have a small house at 14 sqaures and most of it is tiles and floor boards. At $800 I was expecting this to last a bit longer. I have had other brands of cleaners and have never had issues like this. I originally bought this to make vacuuming easier with a cordless product. Not sure if I will buy another one if I can get cheaper cleaners out there with same specifications.

Purchased in September 2016 at JB Hi-Fi for $799.00.

Michael M.Greater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

On my 4th battery in 4 years

We have the vacuum cleaner for 4 years and we are about to get our 4th battery, roughly a battery per year. And looking at the Dyson web site the battery price has jumped from $79 to $109 since last year.

Purchased in August 2016.

Michael M.

Cool, so I will get my most recent battery purchase replaced? will do that now.

DysonDyson

Apologies, however we can't comment on individual circumstances here, however please do get in touch with our Dyson Experts as everything is assessed case by case.

LeeCanberra 2600, ACT

Wait until the warranty runs out

Initially this was the best vacuum we have ever had. It has powerful suction and is easy to charge on the wall and swap out the attachments. After 13 months it started pulsating with the Direct Drive cleaner head and the Mini motorised head. It worked fine with the static attachments. I figured out it was because both these heads have metal pins that are meant to connect to the motor however this connection no longer works. We now have paid $600 for a years worth of vacuuming. Very disappointing, probably not a good investment.

Purchased in April 2019 at Bing Lee Online store for $600.00.

DysonDyson

The best kitchen appliances in 2020!

Nathan S.1 Nov 2019
the-best-kitchen-appliances-in-2020

Best Fridges and Dishwashers in 2020!

Wendy Z.12 Nov 2019
best-fridges-and-dishwashers-in-2020
PaulyR

PaulyRSydney, NSW

Does the job - poor on bathroom tiles

Purchased in December 2019 at ALDI for $399.00.

Lucie B.

Lucie B.

Good but hard to clean

Vacuums perfectly but it only lats for a short period of time in terms of battery life and it is very hard to clean and has small dust container. Overall 4/5

Purchased in December 2019.

Raegan M.

Raegan M.Hunter Region, NSW

Good but battery life is poor

If I could have my time over I would invest in the new model with longer battery life and larger barrel. It does have good suction power, but I can not clean my kitchen, dining and lounge room without having to charge it.

Purchased at JB Hi-Fi.

Jelly

JellySouth East Queensland, QLD

Battery life an issue. Expensive replacement.

Works well until about 18 months but it takes you until the warranty is expired to realise how quickly the battery runs down. Then very expensive replacement - not sure that 1/6 original cost of vacuum every 2 years is worth it.

Michael_Moch

Michael_MochMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Battery Life???

Great when it's working but strange battery life. When in Turbo it stops after about a minute, I then place it on the charging cradle for about 5 seconds and use it again for about a minute. I can do this about 5 times without a problem. But that doesn't make sense. Why does it stop in the first place if it's not really flat?

Purchased in August 2018 at Harvey Norman for $800.00.

DysonDyson

We would encourage emailing auaskdyson@dyson.com as our Dyson Experts will be happy to help run through diagnostics to find out what is happening with your machine and assist with a resolution.

We hope to hear from you and look forward to assisting.

DemonSouth East Queensland, QLD

Battery Problems en counted; less than 2 years

Purchased V8 machine in June 2018 so still under warranty (just). Has been performing OK. Found it good on carpet but not so good on wood floor. Have to use it on maximum power to pickup dirty from wood floor. It is certainly very handy and convenient to use. I now have a battery issue. I recharge until all 3 blue lights are solid. I switch it on and it stops in less than a minute. Not very pleased considering the initial cost. There seems to be a widespread problem with their batteries.
I have been in touch with Dyson via email and am awaiting a response. I am requesting a replacement battery.
Will advise further.

Purchased in June 2018 at Harvey Norman.

Demon

Dyson have responded to my warranty claim with a new battery. Customer service were very quick and courteous. A positive experience. Thankyou.

Bateup

BateupSouth East Queensland, QLD

Good While It Lasts

Purchased in January 2018 at Myer for $699.00.

emilyobyrne006

emilyobyrne006Sydney, NSW

Not the best

I use it on carpet and tiles it’s good on tiles not carpet it broke a month after I bought it as well! Never again will I buy a Dyson

Purchased in February 2020 at Harvey Norman.

DysonDyson

If you haven't already been in touch with our Dyson Experts, we would encourage emailing your details through to auaskdyson@dyson.com as we are only happy to help.

We hope to hear from you and look forward to getting this sorted.

Cosgrove

CosgroveGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

I expected better for $600

Purchased in February 2020 at Dyson for $597.00.

DISAPPOINTEDMid North Coast, NSW

Battery usage time short when new.

We bought the Dyson V8 from Harvey Norman because of the advertised 20 minutes operation time with full suction.The sales person insisted it lasts at least twice as long as our V6 (which is about 9 minutes)
It never lasted more than the V6 when brand new and we were very disappointed from the beginning.
Now after 18 Months the Battery lasts less than 3 minutes which is not good enough for a price tag of $800. We have (in total) 4 Dyson Appliances 2 Mains power and 2 battery powered.
Now we are Disappointed Dyson customers and doubt that we fall for the sales hype again.

Purchased in September 2018 at Harvey Norman for $799.00.

Eliseb

Elisebasked

V8 Absolute

My Dyson V8 gets really hot at the back while I’m using it, too hot to continue using

DysonDyson

While the Dyson V8 can get warm during use, we certainly wouldn't expect it to get hot.

Please get in touch with our Dyson Experts via phone, live chat or Facebook Messenger and we will be happy to help. You can find our contact details here: https://www.dyson.com.au/support/contact-us

We hope to hear from you and look forward to assisting.

Raymond

Raymondasked

my name is Raymond
why Dyson charger cable have filter. what the function.

Michael
Michael

It doesn't have filter.

DysonDyson

The charger of your Dyson cord-free machine has a transformer on the plug. This is to ensure the correct power is provided to your machine.

If we can assist further, our Dyson Experts are happy to help. Ways to get in touch can be found here: https://www.dyson.com.au/support/contact-us

Pam

Pam asked

V8 Absolute

I have a Dyson v8 Motörhead in my winter home. I’m leaving for 6 months. Should I leave it plugged in or not?

DysonDyson

To maximise battery health, We would encourage fully charging the machine and unplugging it while not in use. Upon your return, charge your machine fully prior to first use.

If we can assist further, our Dyson Experts are happy to help. Please don't hesitate to get in touch. Our contact details can be found here: https://www.dyson.com.au/support/contact-us

Get an answer from our members and Dyson representatives

Dyson V8

As of December 2020, the Dyson V8 is the highest-rated cordless and stick vacuum cleaner on ProductReview. As well as being the highest rated, the V8 is also more afordable than other Dyson cordless and stick vacuum cleaners - such as the V11, which is around $300 more expensive.

Features:

• The V8 series includes 4 different vacuum cleaners, with a $100 difference in price
  • Two power options: Max Mode for extra power, which is good for tough clumps of dirt or pet hair; and Powerful Mode, which allows for longer usage, but may provide a slighlty weaker suction
  • A 5-hour charge provides up to 40 minutes of use

Points of praise:

• Some reviewers purchased the Dyson V8 after owning the V6 and reported noticing an improvement. Although they didn’t claim to be unhappy with the V6, many said that the V8 was more powerful and picked up a larger quantity of dirt and dust.
  • The highest power setting (Max Mode) latest longer than expected. One reviewer was pleased that they could vacuum their whole apartment while still having plenty of battery life left.
  • The vacuum was lightweight and easy to manoeuvre, meaning that people could clean hard-to-reach crevices and corners of the house.
  • Three large, shedding dogs proved to be no match for this vacuum cleaner. A happy reviewer mentioned that they could finally remove the mess their dogs had left behind.
Compare all 4 Dyson V8

4.4
Dyson V8 Animal

Dyson V8 Animal

4.2
CategoryStick & Cordless Vacuum CleanersStick & Cordless Vacuum CleanersStick & Cordless Vacuum CleanersStick & Cordless Vacuum Cleaners
Price (RRP) $799.00$699.00$799.00$749.00
TypeCordlessCordlessCordlessCordless
Charging Time5 hours5 hours5 hours5 hours
Running Time 40 min40 min40 min40 min
Suction (Air Watts)115 AW115 AW115 AW115 AW
Manufacturer Warranty2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)
Release dateAug 2016Aug 2016Aug 2016Aug 2016