Battery life

I have been using my Dyson V8 animal for over 2 years and I started noticing battery run time decreasing a few months back. Now once I start vacuuming it stops in a few mins.
When I put back on charge blue light illuminates but goes off after some time. So basically saying it doesn't hold the charge. So I called Dyson and was advised it is out of warranty and I have to pay $85 for the battery. In the beginning, I thought I will just order it but it didn't feel right as the machine was not cheap, and battery not even to last more than 2 years was a bit disappointing. Then I went to research more about the battery and noticed many people have a similar problem.
I am really disappointed with the Dyson product as they charge a premium price for their products, and in return as a customer, we expect the product to be premium quality.
This is my suggestion to all the new buyer if you planning to buy Dyson cordless vacuum be prepared to buy a new battery every 2 year which is just outside the manufacturer warranty.

Purchased in November 2016.

Floor Type Wood

USE IT EVERYDAY

I use this for everything, hard floors, carpet, rugs, bathroom. So easy and use and clean. I love the different attachments and it can get into hard to reach place like my car.

Purchased in February 2018 at The Good Guys for $650.00.

Outstanding

An excellent product for hardwood floor, leaves with no scratch. Very light weight that makes the easy to carry option whenever needed. One single chord is enough for all types of floor, carpet and car. 100% recommended.

Purchased in January 2019.

No more stress in vacuuming

Easy, fast and not at all tiring with really good quality cleaning. Perfect for small or big homes. Will always recommend this product without any doubts. All the attachments are well designed and really good quality product.

Purchased in December 2017 at Myer Online Store for $899.00.

Terrible battery!

Product was a waste of money. Always had battery issues and is now being tossed and replaced by a good old, wont-die-on-me broom.
When it worked, it did a great job. Too bad it only held its charge for 30 seconds.

Purchased in May 2017.

Floor Type Tiles
Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your Dyson V8 machine. We can understand this would be frustrating and are only happy to help get this sorted for you. Please forward your details to auaskdyson@dyson.com (including your machine's serial number) and our Dyson Experts will be in touch and happy to help.

The Best Vacuum cleaner!

The Dyson V8 animal is the first "Dyson vacuum cleaner" my family and I have ever bought and also the very best we have ever used. It is amazing how it is so compact and has better suction power than any of the other vacuum's we have had before where they are actually plugged into the power point.

It has a high suction mode as well that really does a thorough job. No other vacuum compares to how this performs, even though some people might think they are a bit too high priced they really are worth every cent.

Purchased in October 2018 for $605.99.

Floor Type Carpet, Linoleum and Tiles

Use this vacuum on tiles and carpet, works very well. The battery life is really rather very good, and we consider it to be a good upgrade from our last vacuum.

Purchased in January 2019.

OK vacuum cleaner but appalling support

For 2+ years the Dyson V8 it did a good job but the battery run time never matched the Dyson claims.
And now like many others, my battery does not hold charge: shows 100% charged but stops after less than 1 minute of use.
Put it back on charge and it shows fully charged again within minutes just to use it for another minute, absolutely useless...
By the way, the charge indicator is a gimmick that never worked properly, from full charge it would go straight into a full stop, a smart machine excelling at telling me why it can't do the job...

So I want to buy a new battery but Dyson's website says:
$85 'No stock - call for assistance' calling the 1800 number advises waiting time of 137 minutes. Their other options (new V11) wait time was 126 minutes.
The 1800 number is the only phone for everything Dyson in Australia, every state has branches but no phone numbers to check for local stock for anything other than walk in.
Retailers selling Dyson products don't bother with spares either.
eBay is full of non genuine Dyson battery listings and I found only one scalper claiming to sell a genuine Dyson battery for $150, but how can I know it is still genuine???

Why is Dyson creating such problems?
Why is the call center eternally overwhelmed?
Instead of excuses, why not get more people to support their products?
Dyson says it wants to go 100% cordless, what's the point if they refuse to sell spare batteries?

Dyson makes fancy looking overpriced products with 0 support enticing people to new models by deliberately not selling major spare parts like batteries.
Avoid anything Dyson!

Purchased in January 2017 at David Jones Perth.

Floor Type Carpet and Tiles
We do apologise for the delay you have experienced in getting in touch with us. We are working to reduce the wait times and assist every Dyson Owner who gets in touch with us. I trust we have been able to get this sorted for you, however if not, please email your details to auaskdyson@dyson.com and our Dyson Experts will be in touch very shortly and happy to help.What is the point of your standard copy/paste apologies, stop saying what you try to do and DO it now. You have not sorted anything for me as I could never talk to anybody and your website indicates NO battery stock, so what do you think was sorted? Your lack of service forced me to eBay to buy a non genuine battery which arrives in a couple of days and if that fails to perform then this Dyson goes in the rubbish bin where your products belong. To all potential buyers: don't get sucked by Dyson's claims, look elsewhere as you'll end up right here after the warranty expires.

Excellent product - easy to use and cleans well

We use the Dyson on wood and carpet. It picks up more than the wired vacuum cleaner and it's quite easy to do the house on a charge. We use the standard setting. I'm not sure why you'd use the very powerful setting given that the battery will only last 7 minutes instead of 40.

Purchased in March 2019 at The Good Guys Physical store for $660.00.

Floor Type Carpet, Tiles and Wood

Since buying this vacum 23 months ago I have had nothing but trouble it has now died completley

I use this Dyson on my floor boards as well as the carpet, I have only ever been able to get 15 min max out of the fully charged battery, it has now died, I have been trying to ring Dyson for the last 2 days with no luck time expediency keeps going up today 19 min I am still on the phone it has now been 43.47 min expected wait time is 37 min, then it hangs up on you after 120 min press option 1 for call back does not work Very bad on Dyson’s behalf

Purchased in May 2017 at The Good Guys Physical store for $850.00.

Floor Type Carpet and Wood
We do apologise for the delay you experienced. Please be assured we are aware of this delay and working to bring our service levels back to normal. We would kindly ask you to email your details to auaskdyson@dyson.com and we will be in touch with you very shortly and happy to help assist with your machine.Hi [Name Removed] rang me last week and has ordered a new replacement battery, however he did say that he was going to ring me back this Monday gone 6th May I still haven't heard back from him this was in regards to my attachments being very loose and in regards to what was happening when the unit was put onto chargeWe are sorry to hear about this Donna, please forward your details to auaskdyson@dyson.com and we will be happy to follow this up for you.

Good suction but wished the battery life lasted longer

I've always been interested in buying a Dyson vacuum and when I finally did, I wasn't disappointed. The suction was very good and I use this mostly on floorboards and around small corners in the house. However, the battery life only lasts 15-20 minutes each time and it is so frustrating that it runs out of battery so fast and it needs to be charged so often.

Purchased in November 2018.

Battery needed replacement

Our Dyson v8 battery did not hold its charge and needed replacement in less than 2 years . Very frustrating only having less than a minute to vacuum the house on Max setting .

Purchased in May 2017.

Wish it had longer battery life

I’m new to Dyson - I do enjoy the ease of the Dyson however I do wish it had a longer battery life. It runs out at times when I most need it. Great for emergency and quick use but I will probably have to invest in another vacuum that I can rely on for longer .

Purchased in August 2018 at Harvey Norman for $673.00.

Product is used: Daily
Floor Type Tiles and Wood

Battery deteriorated and stopped working

Purchased brand new for over $900 when released. Only have small apartment so hasn't been used too much. Battery lasted less and less each time used and now lasts less than 30 seconds. I emailed Dyson last month and they advised the battery needs replacing for $85. I am only just outside of warranty and Consumer Guarantees Act may help due to the high value of the vacuum, but awaiting response from Dyson on this. Tried calling today and was on hold for over 1 hours even though automated voice advised wait time was '0 mins, 1 second'. Eventually the call dropped out, as could not be answered before the call centre had closed. I was going to upgrade to a V11, but now I am thinking why should I reward a company with poor experience so far on V8 resolution.

Purchased in September 2016 at David Jones Retail Stores.

Floor Type Carpet and Wood
Sorry to hear you are had trouble getting in touch with us, please be assured we are happy to help and respect your rights under consumer law. That being said, as the battery is a consumable item, outside of the inital Dyson Guarantee, batteries may be chargable. We hope you have been able to get in touch with us, however if not, please email auaskdyson@dyson.com and we will be happy to help.I was able to get through to call centre recently when selecting V11 enquiry option 1 instead of other option 3. I guess sales high priority to answer than other calls for call centre. Agent wasn't overly friendly, but I have ordered replacement battery now as cannot be bothered to try consumer affairs / ACCC. I will be sure to check my battery before 2 year warranty ends next time rather than waiting for it to completely die.

Wouldn't buy it again

My sister has an earlier model and loves it so I decided to purchase the V8. While I do find that the suction is good and you can definitely tell where you've been, particularly on tile and wood floors, I have found things that I'm not happy about.

Firstly, if you have arthritic fingers, forget it. I am not arthritic in the fingers, but I find it tiring to have to hold my finger on the button all the time in order to make the machine work. I believe an on/off switch would be much better.

I also find the machine to be quite heavy. I thought that it would be better for my back, and perhaps it is, slightly, but still too heavy for me.

Also some of the attachments are difficult to release.

Finally, the biggest bug bear of all for me is that I am unable to empty the container of dust/hair unless I do it manually by putting my fingers in and pulling the hair/dirt out. It appears that the hair/dirt congregates at one side of the container and will not fall out when I release the lever.

In summing up, I think that this vacuum cleaner is o.k. for 'in between' jobs, but I'll be going back to a corded barrel model sooner than later.

Purchased in February 2018.

Floor Type Carpet, Tiles and Wood

Great machine and easy to use

I was disappointed when the battery died 2 weeks out of warranty. I took it to Godfreys to be repaired and was told by the gentleman that the batteries in these machines could not be replaced so I rang Dyson and was told that this was not correct. The lady there sent me a new battery no charge. I can certainly recommend their after sales service

Purchased in March 2017 at The Good Guys Physical store for $850.00.

Love my Dyson!

I love this piece of machinery. I use it so many times a day. It’s so handy and has strong suction. Easy to clean. Recharges well. I use it on all surfaces.

Purchased in January 2018 at The Good Guys for $599.00.

Product is used: Daily

Great idea, poor execution

These machines have such a terrible battery life! With the price point they are at it has been nothing short of totally disappointing, I’ll never purchase Dyson again - what a waste of money!

Purchased in January 2018 for $1,000.00.

Floor Type Carpet and Wood
Sorry to hear you are unhappy with your Dyson V8 Absolute. Just to confirm, the V8 has two modes of suction; Max and high power. With the motorised head attached the machine will provide 25-30 minutes on high power mode. Without using a motorised tool it can run up to 40 minutes on high power mode. On Max mode, the machine will run for 7 minutes regardless of the tool in use. If your machine is not achieving these run times, please email auaskdyson@dyson.com with your details and our Dyson Experts will be happy to help.

Great Vac

We use this mostly on timber floors and carpet in the bedrooms - it lasts about 15min on high power or 20mins on lower
Works perfectly just wished I had a powerpoint in the cupboard!!!

Purchased in February 2019 at Kogan.com for $551.00.

I love vacuuming now

This vacuum is brilliant. I vacuumed with my old vacuum then straight away used the dyson. The amount of dirt, dust and dog hair the dyson picked up that my old vacuum didnt suck up was a big surprise. I love that you dont have to lug around a big vacuum that bangs in to walls and gets stuck on furniture. The cordless stick design makes vacuuming so easy!

Purchased in June 2017 at JB Hi-Fi.

Floor Type Carpet and Tiles

How are the chargers attached to the wall?
Thank you for your query. The charger is secured into the dock, with the dock then being screwed to the wall. You can see how to install it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fu-wm-8Bmw If we can be of any further assistance please email auaskdyson@dyson.com and our Dyson Experts will be in touch and happy to help.

Why has my battery on my Dyson V8 died after only 18 months since new? Surely they should last longer than that. The battery has been replaced under warranty. Do I get 2 yr warranty on the replacement battery or only the remaining 6 months? The store I bought it could not tell me.
Sorry to hear you needed a battery replacement, however we are pleased to hear this was sorted for you. As the battery is a consumable item, it doesn't come with a Dyson guarantee. We have every confidence this battery will provide you reliable performance for years to come, however if you have any further queries (regardless of Dyson Guarantee status), please don't hesitate to get in touch with us via auaskdyson@dyson.com. We are happy to help.

My Dyson V8 vacuum drains the battery in Max mode in 30 seconds. However, if you plug it in for 5 seconds and then take it off charge, the lights say it is fully charged and will then run the max mode for 30 seconds. And the scenario is repeated. The vacuum still operates in Normal mode with no issues.
Sounds like your battery needs to be replaced, mine was doing the same Dyson are sending me out a new battery as it is under warranty (2yrs) when I got home I checked the unit when on charge and it had 2 full blue lights and only 1 was charging, which says that the battery to me only has a third of a life when charged hence 30 seconds of use,, Very very frustratingSorry to hear you are experiencing a short run time with your Dyson V8 machine, we are happy to help diagnose this and assist with getting your machine up and running. We kindly ask for you to email auaskdyson@dyson.com with your details and one of our Dyson Experts will be in touch and happy to help get this sorted.Can I get same advice I'm having same problems

V8 Absolute PlusV8 AbsoluteV8 Animal
Power SourceBatteryBatteryBattery
Charging Time5 hours5 hours5 hours
Running Time 40 min40 min40 min
Suction (Air Watts) 115 AW115 AW115 AW
Manufacturer Warranty2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)
Release dateAug 2016Aug 2016Aug 2016