Dyson V8
4.5 from 1,087 reviews

Be prepared to buy a new battery every 1-2 years, other than that it's good

I have my machine for 2.5 years. I am now on my second battery change. The first time it died entirely, now it only runs for 34 seconds on Max mode, and 22 minutes on normal mode.

Currently the battery costs $85 (if I recall correctly it was $79 last year). Here is the official response, via email, from the company:

"We do not have an expected lifespan of a battery as they are a consumable part and the lifespan depends on several different factors such as how often they are used or extreme temperatures.
Your machine's guarantee has expired and batteries are not covered by a warranty as outline in the terms and conditions of the guarantee:

My other fear is that in a few years we will be told that the battery is either too expensive or does not exist anymore. Which makes this very expensive product very expensive to maintain, and possibly gives it a short lifespan.

Other than that the machine itself is pretty good. The only other downside I have heard of is it's flimsiness, and it's tendency to break easily (not my experience, I am extremely careful with it). I assume it's the price to pay for light-weight.

Purchased for $850.00.

Product is used: Several times a week
Floor Type Carpet and Wood
Another heads-up: I initially liked the machine a lot, so I was about to buy one as a present to my mother who lives in another country. Based on my battery experience, I am glad I did not.

last 20 mins

The vacuum cleaner only last for 20 mins for every charge. It makes difficult to vacuum a big house. Have to do it in multiple sessions and there is air blowing out from the handle end which makes me feel the dust is actually blowing into my face. I would definitely go back to traditional vacuum cleaner next time.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Amazing

This product was so worth the money. We use this almost daily as we have little kids. Strong suction. Very easy to use and has a good sized drum. Pretty easy to clean. One of those purchases that changed my homelife

Purchased .

Product is used: Several times a week

Can’t live without it.

I have both carpet,tiles & bamboo flooring. This vacuum cleaner adjusts easily across all surfaces.
I use this vacuum everyday to do a quick clean up.
The attachments are all very useful & easily adjusted.

Purchased for $550.00.

Floor Type Wood

Dyson not as great as it seems - if I had known this 18 months ago, I would not have spent $1000 on it

I bought the Dyson Cordless Vacuum V8 18 months ago and although the cordless feature is one of the best vacuum inventions ever, for $990 AUD (full accessories), I expected much, much, more from this vacuum cleaner. If I knew 18 months ago what I know now, I would not have bought it.

Battery life too short:
On proper (max power) mode it only lasts for 7 minutes which interrupts your vacuuming several times as you have to do other things and wait ages for it to charge. I rang Dyson and they said to use less suction but that is so weak, you can manually feel the difference. I want max power and a good clean. They also told me the new V10 model only lasts for 7 minutes also, so there is no point buying the newer version as that is no improvement.

Battery dies:
The battery has already died and whilst Dyson will replace it under warranty, my warranty is about to expire so it seems I will have to fork out an additional $85 or more every year or so, for the life of the machine.

Can't recharge multiple batteries at one:
-They will not sell me a separate motor/battery unit so I can charge multiple batteries at once and vacuum my whole place in one go. They told me its against "policy".

Conclusions:
-Cordless is great but in reality the housework will take longer as you can't do it all in one go and charging takes longer and longer as the battery slowly weakens and dies over the months.

-For $1000 machine I would expect to be able to cordlessly vacuum an apartment with no interruptions and/or at the very least, not have to pay for short-lived replacement batteries forever more, at almost 10% the price of the machine. Its a good deal for Dyson - its easier for them to sell 10-12 batteries than one new expensive dyson.
-They do not really highlight the 7 minute hassle when selling it - its more or less glossed over.
-They do not at all tell you about the battery dying problem when selling it. This was never mentioned.

I would advise looking closely at all options before deciding to spend this kind of money as quite frankly, for $1000, its overrated.

I bought Dyson because its the "best" but for $1000, I would think twice before investing in one.

Non existent customer service if you have a problem

I cannot recommend a Dyson Vacuums and would never buy one again! We've had our Dyson V8 animal for less than 6 months. It hasn't worked for over a month of that time. Dyson are dreadful to deal with, you never get the same person twice. They have sent us this part and that part to replace and still the machine doesn't work. At this point you would think that (with a machine that is less than 6 months old) they would simply do the right thing replace the entire machine through Harvey Norman where we bought it. But not so. We are told we have to package it up and send it off for repair and it will be gone at least two weeks. So now 2 months of 6 months ownership without a vacuum. Then they start texting me on my phone and so I reply but every new text is from a different Dyson person who doesn't know what the last person said. We were told by one person, 'take it to Harvey Norman to replace it,' so we do but then Dyson won't give Harvey Norman the RA number they need to replace the machine and won't believe we were sent text messages and so the poor Harvey Norman girl takes photos and emails the texts to Dyson who still refuse to budge and now the V8 goes off to Sydney. Dreadful dreadful dreadful customer service!!! In fact non existent customer service. Considering you need a 2nd mortgage to buy these machines the customer service should be exemplary. Dyson seriously need to change their corporate culture and attitude towards customers as word will spread. Isn't it against the law in Australia Consumer Law to not replace a faulty product!!!!!

Purchased at Harvey Norman for $699.00.

Product is used: Weekly
Floor Type Wood
Hi there, I am sorry to hear about this. We certainly wouldn't expect you to take a four hour trip to our service providers as we can send parts and also provide mail in options at our cost during the guarantee period in addition to any resolutions offered by the retailer. We would value the opportunity to look into this and assist if you could kindly email your review and details to auaskdyson@dyson.com. Once recieved, we will be in touch to assist. We look forward to hearing from you and assisting. Best wishes, ShanDear Dyson we have already changed all the parts sent to us and still it doesn't work. It shouldn't be this hard to get a working unit when it is only 4 months old We will email you as suggested :(So I contacted Dyson as per the suggestion above and basically Dyson washed their hands of it and said to take it back to Harvey Norman. Last time we buy a Dyson! They have offered to send it via Australia Post to a service repairer but we have to find a box and package it all up and there is no mention of how it will come back to us And we will be without a vacuum for a number of weeks. So basically this stupid thing has been not working as long as its been working which is dreadful considering you need to take out a second mortgage to buy the thing.

Love it to bits

Great vacuum cleaner and the after service was super good even though warranty has run out. I would not hesitate to recommend. The service staff were brilliant and helpful. It died and I was given a new body and then another battery. Now working again

Purchased at Harvey Norman.

Makes life easier

Who would of thought that a small extension hose would make life so much easier. We use it with our V8 animal stick, so the hand held vacuum can now be used in the car and in all nooks and crannies. A must have accessory.

Great machine

The motor may be small, but the suction power is incredible. Perfect for cleaning up around the house. the cordless machine is super convenient and very practical for anyone. I use this on a near daily basis and love it.

Purchased .

Floor Type Carpet and Tiles

Perfect for everyday use

I use the v8 Dyson on carpet rugs, tiles & wooden floors perfect on all conditions, I use it everyday as I have small children always dropping things on the floor & its so easy & convenient to use I literally plug it in to charge & it charges to last for 20 mins

Fantastic

I recently bought a Dyson V8, after doing a lot of research i was still a bit concerned about the battery life but i have been pleasantly surprised, i have a 2 story house with four bedrooms and timber floor and carpet in the bed rooms and i can vacuum all my carpets on level 3 and all timber floors on level 2 and still have battery charge to do the lounges as well, i am very happy with my Dyson and would highly recommend it

Date PurchasedJan 2019

Not good value for money

I have puchaced the Dyson V8 absolute + for my 2 bed unit and although the product is good it has some bad flaws. Firstly you have to hold the trigger on the whole time you are vacuming so after 20min vacuum your finger is numb and secondly I would expect that for the $ you have to purchase a Dyson the battery life should be much longer. I can barely get my small unit or car finished before it runs out, I find the extremely frustrating. A second battery would make all the difference in this great product.

Great product but now I am experiencing some issues

I thought this product was a great improvement to the earlier models. I am now experiencing intermittent power although I charged it fully. It barely lasts 2 minutes and then it stops. I charge it and remove it from the charger after 30 seconds then it goes for another 2 minutes the process repeats.

Annoying. Help !!!!

Date PurchasedJun 2018
Hi Jude, Thank you for reviewing your machine. I am sorry to hear your machine isn't running for as long as it should, we will be happy to help get this sorted. So we can best assist we would kindly ask you to email auaskdyson@dyson.com with your details and our Dyson Experts will be in touch and happy to help. We look forward to hearing from you and assisting. Best wishes, ShanThanks Shan. Happy that you resolved the issue right away. Great & prompt service. I am very impressed. A replacement battery pack was sent within a day. I am looking forward to receiving it. Will update when I receive it. Thanks.Got the replacement battery yesterday. Charged it overnight. It lasted 10 mins on HIGH vacuum. I thought it lasts longer. Shan can you please verify. Thanks.

Makes me want to clean!!

I love this product.

I am, by my own admission, an awful housekeeper, and the state of my house is not helped by my large and hairy dog.

I didn’t think stick vacuums were for whole-house cleaning, but after my Mum bought one and I had a little try I took the plunge and turned my back on my old pull-along.

I admit, the battery life is short. My house is small, and I only just get the whole place done (with the machine set to turbo) before the battery goes flat. I kind of like that though.. it means I can tell myself ‘you only have to vacuum for 10 minutes max!’

My house is largely carpet, with a bit of tile and a bit of lino, and it performs well on all surfaces. The power head works super well and gets around and under furniture with ease.

the package I got came with all kinds of extra doodads for cleaning specific things. The mini power head is great for the carpets in the car, and the upholstery head gets the car seats looking great, and was really handy when I decided it was time I cleaned my blinds. The little corner tool gets everywhere you’d expect it to. I like that the one machine works as a little hand vac as well as being able to put many of the attachments onto the longer nozzle or the bendy nozzle.

The filters are easy to remove for cleaning, and the actual process of cleaning them is simple.

I did initially struggle to work out how to empty the canister. I think maybe the problem was me though, now I know how it’s actually really easy and I wonder what my problem was.

The only issue I have (and it’s not really an issue as much as an ‘is it just me?’) is that the little port to charge it is in the handle, and when I’ve been working away and my hand gets s little sweaty u get little zaps from it. nothing major, just a little buzz. I asked my mother if it ever happens to her, since I had it happen when I was using her machine too, and she said no! maybe I’m imagining it..

Date PurchasedApr 2018
Hi Jol, Thank you for taking the time to review your machine. We are so pleased to hear the the V8 is working well for you in your home. In regards from the zaps received from the machine, Although what you experienced was unpleasant, we assure you that this kind of static shock is harmless and is not associated with the main supply. Static electricity can occur in many ways and does build up in plastics quite easily. In a vacuum cleaner, static build up is due to the rubbing of fast moving particles against its plastic and metal surfaces. If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact our Dyson Experts via auaskdyson@dyson.com and we will be happy to help. Best wishes, Shan

Waste of money GARBAGE!

LOL I had to put that there, I paid $700 for a “state of the art” piece of technology that turned out to be utter JUNK! Ok so firstly, dealing with Dyson, ha! My previous experience wasn’t great because my upright died just after warranty ran out add some miscommunication and it almost cost me more to fix something then to replace it. ANYWAY, on the other note, I had a problem with a part on this particular machine and they replace it straight away in the mail.

Ok, so I can vacuum my whole house (up and down) and my lounge on min power. Max power I have to pick one then charge it for 5 hours which I don’t have 2 days to clean my house.
So min power, I think by the time I’m done I’ve vacuumed my house 3 times. Oh and don’t get me started in tiny specs of food, or rocks, or anything that packs a bit of weight, I have to position it in the middle and place the vacuum carefully down so much so not to blow the piece in reference out of the way, just to suck it up. So suction is crap. There is no blockage! I clean and service it once a month or when needed, so it’s not that. That’s just in tiles lol. And once a day so it isn’t THAT dirty.

Now carpet, again I find myself going over the same spots to pick up tiny little specks of paint or food.

Anyway on a lighter note, it’s light, it’s awesome now having a cord. But I can’t think of anything positive that is actually useful.

I have kids, I have pets, so I think I might need the v10 or maybe like the v30... we will see. Means paying another $900!!! To do the job that the original one is supposed to.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

First time user of a Dyson, amazing unit, light,simple to use extremely efficient, recommend to anyo

This is the ultimate vacuum cleaner for the average size home, works just great on carpet,vinyl, tiles and upholstery,lightweight and so easy to use and clean.The two level suction facility is amazing, ideal for hard to reach corners and under furniture. Have also used it in the car as it converts to a handheld. Would recommend it to anyone.

Date PurchasedNov 2018

Charge is really bad

My dyson is mounted on the wall on charge all day however when I use it the charge is only lasting less than 4 minutes. I cannot even finish vacuuming my living room which is tiled, the charge runs out even quicker on carpet. Have had the product a year and it has been taken care of. Not happy that my housework is taking me so long now that I have to wait for it to charge again only to get another few minutes

Date PurchasedOct 2017

run time/ battery/ hard floor tool

I bought this model thinking it may have stronger suction and longer run time than my previous V6, however yes it did to begin with but 3 months down the track it lasts no longer than the V6. the problem is the battery wears down after such time therefore rendering it no better than any other brand out there except your throwing away $$$ for nothing in comparison to any other brand that's cordless. Also their hardfloor tool is so small it takes twice as long to do the job in comparison to the other brands that allows you to buy a generic brand floor tool that's twice as big and covers a bigger area getting the job done in no time and not using all the battery power in 5 minutes like the dyson. Wouldn't buy another one certainly not worth the money.

Date PurchasedOct 2018
Hi there, Thank you for taking the time to review your Dyson V8. I am sorry to hear you are unhappy with your Dyson machine and experiencing difficulties, we are happy to assist. So we can best assist we would kindly ask you to email auaskdyson@dyson.com and our Dyson Experts will be in touch and happy to help. We look forward to hearing from you. Best wishes, Shan

Great vac

This vac is just so powerful compared to the last piece of rubbish I had. The battery lasts and lasts. It's strong enough to do all the carpet in my house, although it is a small house. The charge time is quick and even my young son can use it it is so easy

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Heavy, split out playdoh

Heavy and it designed for tall
If your less than 170cm, think about it.
I am such a trouble, stick is not adjustable so too long for me.
But the issues with me becoz I am short. Maybe okey for other.
If the stick is adjustable will be great.

Not powerful as imagined, little bit disappointed. But okey not as much price.

Scratch very easily, i was really carefully used at first day, but it scratched few in one day.

Date PurchasedJan 2019

Problem with dyson video. The spinning tools are not rotating at low or high speed but it collets dust and hairs where is the problem of not spinning?
Hi Boodhun, Thank you for your query. Sorry to hear about this, we are happy to help. We would kindly ask you to run through the troubleshooting outlined here: https://www.dyson.com.au/support/v8_sv10/dyson-v8-absolute/my-machine-is-not-working/my-brushbar-is-not-rotating This should help get your machine back up and running, however if we can assist further please email auaskdyson@dyson.com and our Dyson Experts will be in touch and happy to assist.

Hi - my V8 only lasts a few seconds when I use it on the max setting. It doesn't seem to have a reduced duration when it's just on the regular setting. Please advise?
I have this same issue. Filters cleaned and no blockages. Is it the battery?Hi Louise, Thank you for your query. We are sorry to hear about this, we are happy to help. We would kindly ask you to check your machine for blockages as outlined here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpxRl17N03E. On occasions, a short run time on MAX mode while working normally on high power mode can indicate a blockage. If these checks have been completed with no success, please email auaskdyson@dyson.com and our Dyson Experts will be in touch and happy to help.

The brush in my V8 animal is only doing a half a spin when you press the trigger to start vacuuming get then stops spinning. It does this every time you press the trigger
Hi Murray, Thank you for your question. Sorry to hear about this, we are happy to help. We would kindly encourage you to check the brushbar, and the connections at each end of the brushbar as shown here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XILxd1SRbSQ This should help get the head on your machine spinning as normal, however if we can assist further please email auaskdyson@dyson.com and our Dyson Experts will be in touch and happy to help.

V8 Absolute PlusV8 AbsoluteV8 Animal
Power SourceBatteryBatteryBattery
Charging Time5 hours5 hours5 hours
Running Time 40 min40 min40 min
Suction (Air Watts) 115 AW115 AW115 AW
Manufacturer Warranty2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)
Release dateAug 2016Aug 2016Aug 2016