Energy Trade Questions & Answers

adam m.

Why is it that our bills are constantly late? Happened a few months ago when you had trouble with your system, late again because of a new system. With all the money you are making with the highest rates going around. You would think it would be sorted without any hiccups.

Energy Trade   DM

Hi adam, I apologise for the inconvenience that any delays have caused you.
We always endeavor to have bills issued within the first 10 business days of each month and we are hopeful your current bill will be out by the end of this week too. We were physically unable to get meter data in a billable format for the month of April, meaning there was a double bill in May. This is the first time, in my nearly 5 years as Customer Service Manager we have been unable to bill for one month.
Currently the bills have been delayed by new regulations covering the way bills are displayed. The Better Bill Guidelines required major changes in the way we display and issue our invoices. Your bills are currently online, but we are still conducting live testing before they are issued.
You can see your current bill in MyAccount online, but there may be changes before you receive your actual emailed bill.
With our new pricing, I can send you an email with a lower rate than you are currently on. Our lowest rate will always be associated with direct debit, but I can send you the rates with and without direct debit.
I am pretty sure I am looking at your account, but can you please confirm your customer number or name and address.
Regards,
Customer Service Manager

Yeah, they're incompetent.

adam m.

Honestly they are the worst company I’ve ever had to deal with. Everyone I know that have used them have all said the same thing.

Hi everyone,
I was with EnergyTrade in my previous unit for electricity only, the bills seemed somewhat expensive but I didn't think much about it. Now, I moved to a new unit and here it's EnergyTrade for everything (electricity+gas+"HOT WATER"). The idea of charging for hot water per litre seems like a scam to me. I haven't got my first bill yet but after reading all these reviews I fear that I'm in for the worst (Guys! Please don't laugh...)

Now, my questions are
1. What can be done about this (EnergyTrade) legally? Apart from moving out which doesn't solve it.

2. Did anyone made complaints to the Energy & Water Ombudsman NSW (https://www.ewon.com.au/page/making-a-complaint/complaint-forms), If yes, what was their response?

3. If this many customers are unhappy with something, then I definitely think that should be solved. Should we all sign a petition against EnergyTrade? Would it achieve anything?

4. How does this kind of company is allowed to prosper (charge per litre hot water) ? No regulation, and compliance. Who allowed it to happen? Who can change it?

5. Why don't they charge per Mj instead by calulating a standard such as how many Mj is used to heat one litre or comparing to normal standards around the country. I guess this would make more sense because we are getting charged twice for water.

And finally, I will provide a review once I get my first bill. In the meantime, everyone please provide your opinions. I very much appreciate your time.

Energy Trade   DM

Hi Prasanna, Thank you for posting your questions online. My apologies there has been a delay in responding but I had not noticed any comments in Q&A.
With your new property, your electricity is charged the same as it was previously and our rates for electricity daily supply and consumption reduced on 1 September 2020 and we are competitive with the big 4 retailers.
1. Energy Trade is partnered with Energy Locals, an authorised electricity retailer. Together we look after your energy supply including delivering energy to your home/business, connections and disconnections, billing and payments and supporting customers who need assistance. This arrangement will provide you with greater customer protection in line with the AER's energy market rules.
2. Energy Trade is held to all AER guidelines and energy market rules; allowing any of our customers to complain if they feel we have not met their expectations in some way. The Ombudsman will want to know that we’ve worked together to try and resolve the issue as best as possible and will refer you to our customer service team if we have not been contacted us before.
3. Energy Trade has 1000’s of happy customers but we have never paid or incentivised customers to leave comments online.
4. We understand that a community energy network is something most residents have never been part of in previous properties. We are regulated and follow strict compliance guidelines in line with AER’s energy market rules.
5. While you receive a water bill from your water supplier (Sydney Water), it does not include hot water supply and usage charges. Your building’s Energy Trade community hot water & gas network heats and supplies the water to your apartment.
Prasanna, I encourage you to contact me to discuss your concerns. Please email billing@energytrade.com.au with the subject heading Att Kathy or call 1300 001 255 and ask for me.
Kind regards,

PrasannaC

I am okay with the EnergyTrade's electricity service in my previous unit and current unit. But, the hot water, that is a whole different issue which I'm definitely not liking so far and all my comments, questions are regrading only the hot water service and billing. You mentioned that Energy Trade has 1000's of happy customers, I bet none of them are getting "hot water" bill from EnergyTrade.

I don't think any of the large energy retailers charge per litre of hot water for the centralized hot water service. for example, as for Origin and AGL, I found out that they only charge for the amount of gas used to heat the water. Do you still think this is in line with the AER? I would never think that AER would allow something like this. Is EnergyTrade a member of Energy & Water Ombudsman NSW?

Is the hot water metering in line with the metering standards followed nationwide? How does the hot water billing works when the consumer using tepid, slightly warm, and hot water? the amount of gas consumed is not same for all temperatures.

I specifically searched in my friends circles in the same area to find a reasonably comparable usage in everything (electricity, gas, hot water). I compared my energy bills with them and guess what, their three month (gas) bill equals my one month (gas+hot water). Do you still think this is competitive?

This system is disadvantageous if someone needs to claim gas rebates as the billing is not in Mj. Why should someone lose out on energy rebates, especially during present COVID-19 situation.

As I mentioned earlier, I have not received my first bill yet but I calculated the bill using the consumption data. I will comment once I get the bill

Energy Trade   DM

Hi Prasanna, *Almost twice as many of our sites have gas, electricity & hot water.
*You are correct that most companies do not charge in litres; this tends to be a feature of embedded networks.
*Energy Trade is partnered with Energy Locals, an authorised electricity retailer. Together we look after your energy supply including delivering energy to your home/business, connections and disconnections, billing and payments and supporting customers who need assistance. This arrangement will provide you with greater customer protection in line with the AER's energy market rules. We are answerable to the AER and EWON as with other retailers and all of our customers are afforded the same protections.
*If your hot water is mixed with cold water, it will use less hot water. If you had a mixer tap set to the middle; you would use roughly 50% hot and 50% cold water so one litre of warm water in this instance would use only 500ml of hot water. With a Gas or Electricity heated hot water system, you use more heated water, the hotter the water is; the principle is the same.
*Are you calculating consumption through My Account?
*Unfortunately, you are right and it is not possible to claim the gas rebate. We are always pushing for changes in the guidelines to afford our customers the same benefits as they may have enjoyed previously.
Warm regards,

Gary
Gary

kathy stop going in circles, u have to admit energy trade is a rip off, your hot water billing structure has failed to receive any happy customer feedback. Every one is having this issue, why don't u fix it instead of writing an essay. plz open your mind and reach out to your superiors. It's sickening the way you handle the situation.

Hi Prasana,

I just left Energytrade but I can’t leave hot water and gas and it’s still so expensive.

They are charging daily charge for appliances like stovetop even if you don’t use it. Ridiculous!!!

I have made 2 complaints to Ewon and I find them biased and lazy they keep telling me to get an answer from Energy provider when I’m making a complaint.

We bought the unit so we are in a dead end.

Let me know any suggestions to this problem

Sanz
Sanz

I'm in the same boat. Billed twice for water usage by Sydney water n then hot water separately by Energytrade. I'm in a deadend as well since I bought a unit in a building managed by Energytrade. Monthly bills are coming out higher than what I was paying over a quarter for Origin previously.. I think it's highly unfair to be billed twice and having to pay monthly without flexibility to choose your billing frequency. Same additional gas appliance daily charge. I feel like EnergyTrade is not willing to assist n listen to the customers since I'm writing this in June 2023 and this thread is 3yr old!

Energy Trade   DM

Hi Sanz, Please email me on kathy.liebke@energylocals.com.au so I can look at your account and see if there is anything we can do.
Regards,

Dis V.

Your scepticism is warranted. This company is the worst. Theyre scum.

Dis V.

My Bills have tripled since using energy trade too.

Bhargavi T.
Bhargavi T.

Did anybody changed their service provider from energy trade to other?

Richard C
Richard C

No. The only way to change is to move to another place, unless you or the owner is prepared to pay for a new meter, you are locked in.

Try AGL although it took 9 months to move

Get an answer from our members and Energy Trade representatives

NEW SERVICEFind the right energy provider

Compare, switch and save all in one place

Start Now