Engel MT45

Engel MT45 (page 2 of 2)

MT45FP, MT45F-S, MT45FCP, MT45FL

Pros

• Energy efficiency

• Study, durable steel-casing

• Digital temperature display and readout.

Cons

• Lacks tie-down points beyond the handles

• Some reviewers said it was louder than other portable fridges

Good thing

Brought the mt45 a year ago and it has been faultless so far have done numerous weekend hunting trips and day trips also a 5 week trip throughout the gulf and nt without missing a beat. Had a waeco cf50 which had an extremely hard life and died after 9 years my in laws got it fixed for $80 and are currently 6 months travelling oz without a fault!!! I have noticed the engel appears to use a lot less power than the waeco and cools quicker I also top the batteries with a solar panel and get many days out of the 100ah battery.Im hoping to get a long life out of this one fingers crossed as friends have had theirs for 20 odd years

Date PurchasedJan 2016

New cooling system!

The fridge worked well when it was working but after owning it for 4 years and only doing 3 trips away with it it stopped cooling and now I'm told it needs the cooling system replaced! The cooling system has a blockage and it can't be fixed. The fridge was always run on 240v when not in the car as per the manual. I contacted Engel but got no response.

Date PurchasedAug 2012
Alex47
Alex47Geelong

are these reviews genuine

Fridge just out of warranty had to be repaired. It required a whole new cooling system at a cost of half the original purchase price. Had it back for a month and now has to be repaired again. Am I unlucky or are there others out there. I would like to know?

Portable Fridges / Freezers

Find out how Engel MT45 compares to other Portable Fridges / Freezers

Poppygoose
Poppygoose

Great when working

I've had my engel for 8 years and have bad to replace the cooling system twice at a cost of $625 each time due to a blockage in the cooling unit which they tell me is a sealed unit. Not happy i could have bought 2 fridges for what I've spent

rampy
rampy

Cooling Unit Failure at 7 years

I have used it off and on for seven years now with relatively little usage. In fact you could say it has had a very easy life. Turned it on the other day to stick some drinks in it only to discover that it doesn't cool. Authorised servicing agent has advised me that the cooling unit has failed due to a 'blockage' ~$625 AUD to repair and replace entire unit. So, not so bullet proof.

The best kitchen appliances in 2020!

Nathan S.1 Nov 2019
the-best-kitchen-appliances-in-2020

Best Fridges and Dishwashers in 2020!

Wendy Z.12 Nov 2019
best-fridges-and-dishwashers-in-2020

Best fridge/freezer around

Cant fault it, never misses a beat. Have used it from the Outback to the Snowies, would never leave home without it

Excellent but way too money

Three years ago I traveled to South Africa to buy a 4X4 and travel around southern Africa. I purchased a Engel MT45FP with digital readout and inerior light for $500 Au dollars from Makro. The fridge came with an Australian box, power plug and paper work. I see that today the same fridge is $700 in South Africa and $1400 in Australia. I had no problems with the fridge and love the power consumption but not the price of the Australian importer. looking at importing one from South Africa.
Low power usage
Price

faded
fadedPerth

Wouldn't leave home without it

Had it for coming up on 6 years now without any drama's, Dad's is coming up on 25 years old with no drama's,
Been on plenty of trips with other people with Waeco's and similar and all have had faults at some point in time, sure they are extremely expensive for what they are but they should last a life time.
reliability, simplicity,
expensive

TDI42GU
TDI42GU

How good are engel fringes!!

I looked at the cheapies, the no names, the waeco, and settled on just forking out the coin to get the real deal. Glad I did, it is great. Doesn't seem to draw a lot of power, never flattened my batteries, and I run it all the time when I'm away.
Sturdiness, good travel cover, cold cold rum.
Lacks factory fitted tie down points bar the handles and they will bend?

Portable Fridges / Freezers

Find out how Engel MT45 compares to other Portable Fridges / Freezers

JMD71South East Queensland, QLD

Nothing beats it

Purchased 4 years ago ,absolute bullet proof ,reliable,cant fault it.Use at as second fridge at home has been drowed on one occasion,thought that was the end of it.Left it for a day to dry out pluged it back in and it works like new.Been in 4wd over some pretty bad conditions and has never failed.You buy this fridge as an investment as it just keeps going
Ultra reliable,tough as they come.
Cant fault it in 4 years

JMD71

Just a quick follow up,fridge still going strong no problems at all ,been to cape over Tele track etc twice never let me down ,

scooter3
scooter3sydney

It was good for a few years.

bm68
bm68AU

Very happy with my Engel

Very reliable fridge. Have not had any trouble at all. A good size for short camping trips or day trips into the bush. On a long camping trip would be better to have a larger fridge. Uses very little power once down to temperature. Temperature control is very good. Cools down very quickly. Not cheap but definately worth paying a little extra for this sort of quality. The canvas cover help insulate the fridge and protects it too.
Easilly detachable lid. Very low power consumption. Handy led light inside. Good temperature control.

dino2000_au
dino2000_au

fantastic

an excellent performer in refridgerating or freezing and has a low current draw on both 240v or 12v power.we generally use this unit as a fridge and we have 14 litre engel which we use as a freezer on trips away.can definately recommend this brand to consumers.Would be the best brand on the market,but the most expensive
reliable, rugged and will work well on an angle,does not need to be level.
expensive,but you get what you pay for

Cary x
Cary xasked
MT45

My 40ltr engel fridge/freezer has recently started to drain most of my battery flat over night, seems to be running quite often. Have replaced my 100ah agm with a new 135ah agm and the problem is still on going. What could it be, on our way to the Cape and will need to have it sorted. Running engel as freezer at -11 which I've done for the past 6years.

Shane

G'day Cary, I'm not sure if its the same issue -but I had a similar event while on Fraser a while ago. I run an Optima battery ( as the dual / 2nd battery) I would drive a few hours a day without topping it up on a solar panel. Thinking this would be enough to keep it charged. It is but not for a few days, the battery was slowly using more power than I was putting in. When it gets down to 10.5 to 11 volts while running the fridge it needs a good charge to get it up to speed again. Your freezer will draw a max of 2.5 a/h's per hour for memory. I thought I would fully charge my battery with a hour of driving, this is not the case I've been told it can take 4-5 hours of driving. A good quality 120a/h battery will drain to about 50%-60% meaning you'll get about 50 hours at 1 a/h , 25 hours at 2 a/h ( ballpark) . But that's draining it to the max.
The solution is not to let it drain that far down and try to recover by driving a few hours a day. Solar is needed as soon as you stop to keep it 80% charged plus at all times. I'm also off to the Cape again in June , can't wait.
So charge it up fully ( volt meter will be 12.8 / 13 v) and maintain a charge via solar ( or 240v) and see how that goes. And try not to discharge it to the max to often, they can struggle to recover - I could be wrong but that sounds that could be the situation in your case. Cheers Shane 0406 787473

Jeannie D.
Jeannie D.asked
MT45

We can buy a thermostat for $90. Is it able to replace our thermostat which is unable to turn itself off when it reaches temperature

Russellasked
MT45F-S

My Engel cycles on for 4 seconds then off for 4 seconds and repeats this for as long as it is turned on.
It starts doing this as soon as it is turned on.

G'day Russell,

Some thing wrong there, if you have set on ? say -5 , it will run for a while and turn off for short periods. After 24 hours or so it'll run less and be off longer as the fridge has achieved its desired temp.
It sounds like a thermostat or control setting issue. You'll need to get it to a Engel service agent to have it checked/ fixed. Might still be under warranty ? Cheers
Shane.

Russell

It short cycles as soon as you turn it on , it never achieves temperature - it does not matter what number you set the thermostat to.

Engel MT45

The Engel MT45 is a dedicated fridge and freezer combo, known for its durability and energy efficiency. It's able to be powered by 12V/24V and mains electricity. It has a sturdy, steel casing, an interior LED light, and a digital temperature readout and thermostat.

Reviewers appreciate the Engel MT45's strong build, and its ability to run in high temperatures and survive rugged roads. The digital thermostat is widely praised, as is its energy efficiency. Some reviewers considered it a little louder than other fridges, and saw its hefty price as a potential flaw.

Compare all 4 Engel MT45
Engel MT45FL
  • Discontinued

Engel MT45FL

No reviews yet
CategoryPortable Fridges / FreezersPortable Fridges / FreezersPortable Fridges / FreezersPortable Fridges / Freezers
Price (RRP) $1,299.00$1,399.00$1,449.00
Type Dedicated Fridge + Freezer ComboDedicated Fridge + Freezer ComboDual Zone Fridge + Freezer
Capacity40L40L40L
Can Capacity60 Cans60 Cans
Power SourceCar (Cigarette Lighter) and Wall OutletCar (Cigarette Lighter) and Wall OutletBattery and Wall Outlet
FeaturesDigital Display Panel and Interior LightDigital Display Panel, Removable compartment divider and Thermometer
Weight24 kg24 kg24 kg
Dimensions 508 x 648 x 364 mm508 x 648 x 364 mm508 x 648 x 364 mm
Manufacturer Warranty3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)
Construction MaterialSteelStainless Steel