Engel MT45
See the Best Portable Fridges / Freezers in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for Engel? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

Pros

• Energy efficiency

• Study, durable steel-casing

• Digital temperature display and readout.

Cons

• Lacks tie-down points beyond the handles

• Some reviewers said it was louder than other portable fridges

NOT HAPPY
NOT HAPPYGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Peeling paint and rust.

Not happy. Yes it keeps food cold, but paint is peeling from side, top and bottom, and it is rusting. I have had 2 other Engel fridge's with not a problem. From Ray's outdoors now Macpac.

Purchased in September 2014 at Ray's Outdoors for $1,228.58.

Baz
BazCentral Queensland, QLD

disappointed about ruggedness and reliability

Gold edition 45l only gets moved for occasional defrost/clean.
Stopped getting cold, compressor still works.Told by service agent to replace cooling unit at half the cost of a new fridge.
Contacted Engel Australia,they wrote back and said how disappointing it must be for me.
Placed fridge on ground , inverted with compressor end upwards and left for a day in that position.
Fridge now working again, (thanks not, service guy and Engel Australia)

Purchased in January 2015 for $1,400.00.

JackADELAIDE

New Compressor

My Engel worked well for about 4 years then suddenly stopped cooling.
Took it in to an authorised service centre and was told the "compressor wasn't working efficiently" and a replacement would cost over $600!
The fridge has only ever been used in my house, from the back of a normal passenger station wagon or carried inside accommodation during trips. It has never been mistreated, dropped or bashed.
Sure you see them in all types of condition on the back of utes etc but since asking around there are more compressor failures than I expected, especially considering Engel make a big deal of the reliability of their fridges.

Date PurchasedJan 2012
Poppygoose
Poppygoose

Great when working

I've had my engel for 8 years and have bad to replace the cooling system twice at a cost of $625 each time due to a blockage in the cooling unit which they tell me is a sealed unit. Not happy i could have bought 2 fridges for what I've spent

Portable Fridges / Freezers

Find out how Engel MT45 compares to other Portable Fridges / Freezers

rampy
rampy

Cooling Unit Failure at 7 years

I have used it off and on for seven years now with relatively little usage. In fact you could say it has had a very easy life. Turned it on the other day to stick some drinks in it only to discover that it doesn't cool. Authorised servicing agent has advised me that the cooling unit has failed due to a 'blockage' ~$625 AUD to repair and replace entire unit. So, not so bullet proof.

Excellent but way too money

Three years ago I traveled to South Africa to buy a 4X4 and travel around southern Africa. I purchased a Engel MT45FP with digital readout and inerior light for $500 Au dollars from Makro. The fridge came with an Australian box, power plug and paper work. I see that today the same fridge is $700 in South Africa and $1400 in Australia. I had no problems with the fridge and love the power consumption but not the price of the Australian importer. looking at importing one from South Africa.
Low power usage
Price

scooter3
scooter3sydney

It was good for a few years.

The top-rated kitchen appliances for 2020!

Nathan S.1 Nov 2019
the-top-rated-kitchen-appliances-for-2020
Fridge and Dishwasher Awards for 2020!

Wendy Z.12 Nov 2019
fridge-and-dishwasher-awards-for-2020

Avleen M.
Avleen M.23 July 2021

Jeanniemac
Jeanniemacasked
MT45

My 40litre Engel fridge freezer works fine .My question is if I set the freezer to -10c when it reaches temperature and shuts off ,what temperature should it switch on again .?

Shane

Hi, that's what I set mine to also when touring around. It will maintain the -10 generally to -1 deg..ish.
Meaning as it slightly drops it will start again. If your out in the sun on Fraser for example or in a cold area at night that will mean it will drop slower or faster etc. But the answer is "slight" drop and it will start again to try and maintain the -10. A good little device to get is a Kings fridge monitor. They are about $20. You place the receiver in the freezer & the monitor sits in the 4WD (I Velcro mine to the dash) so I can keep a eye on the temp.

Cary x
Cary xasked
MT45

My 40ltr engel fridge/freezer has recently started to drain most of my battery flat over night, seems to be running quite often. Have replaced my 100ah agm with a new 135ah agm and the problem is still on going. What could it be, on our way to the Cape and will need to have it sorted. Running engel as freezer at -11 which I've done for the past 6years.

Shane

G'day Cary, I'm not sure if its the same issue -but I had a similar event while on Fraser a while ago. I run an Optima battery ( as the dual / 2nd battery) I would drive a few hours a day without topping it up on a solar panel. Thinking this would be enough to keep it charged. It is but not for a few days, the battery was slowly using more power than I was putting in. When it gets down to 10.5 to 11 volts while running the fridge it needs a good charge to get it up to speed again. Your freezer will draw a max of 2.5 a/h's per hour for memory. I thought I would fully charge my battery with a hour of driving, this is not the case I've been told it can take 4-5 hours of driving. A good quality 120a/h battery will drain to about 50%-60% meaning you'll get about 50 hours at 1 a/h , 25 hours at 2 a/h ( ballpark) . But that's draining it to the max.
The solution is not to let it drain that far down and try to recover by driving a few hours a day. Solar is needed as soon as you stop to keep it 80% charged plus at all times. I'm also off to the Cape again in June , can't wait.
So charge it up fully ( volt meter will be 12.8 / 13 v) and maintain a charge via solar ( or 240v) and see how that goes. And try not to discharge it to the max to often, they can struggle to recover - I could be wrong but that sounds that could be the situation in your case. Cheers Shane 0406 787473

Jeannie D.
Jeannie D.asked
MT45

We can buy a thermostat for $90. Is it able to replace our thermostat which is unable to turn itself off when it reaches temperature

Engel MT45

The Engel MT45 is a dedicated fridge and freezer combo, known for its durability and energy efficiency. It's able to be powered by 12V/24V and mains electricity. It has a sturdy, steel casing, an interior LED light, and a digital temperature readout and thermostat.

Reviewers appreciate the Engel MT45's strong build, and its ability to run in high temperatures and survive rugged roads. The digital thermostat is widely praised, as is its energy efficiency. Some reviewers considered it a little louder than other fridges, and saw its hefty price as a potential flaw.

Compare all 4 Engel MT45
Engel MT45FL
  • Discontinued

Engel MT45FL

No reviews yet
CategoryPortable Fridges / FreezersPortable Fridges / FreezersPortable Fridges / FreezersPortable Fridges / Freezers
Price (RRP) $1,299.00$1,399.00$1,449.00
Type Dedicated Fridge + Freezer ComboDedicated Fridge + Freezer ComboDual Zone Fridge + Freezer
Capacity40L40L40L
Can Capacity60 Cans60 Cans
Power SourceCar (Cigarette Lighter) and Wall OutletCar (Cigarette Lighter) and Wall OutletBattery and Wall Outlet
FeaturesDigital Display Panel and Interior LightDigital Display Panel, Removable compartment divider and Thermometer
Weight24 kg24 kg24 kg
Dimensions 508 x 648 x 364 mm508 x 648 x 364 mm508 x 648 x 364 mm
Manufacturer Warranty3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)
Construction MaterialSteelStainless Steel