Engel MT45

Pros

• Energy efficiency

• Study, durable steel-casing

• Digital temperature display and readout.

Cons

• Lacks tie-down points beyond the handles

• Some reviewers said it was louder than other portable fridges

Colin55

Colin55Darling Downs, QLD

Colin55

Purchased in February 2009 for $1,399.00.

ShaneGold Coast

Impressive gear - very functional with the separate fridge / freezer

Purchased in June 2018 at EWarehouse for $1,290.00.

Angry19

Angry19

Superb Fridge

I’ve have had my Engel close on 19 years now and it’s really been the best investment I have made for camping. It has never failed me except for a trip to Cape York which was a fuse failure after a dunking in one of the rivers. New fuse and a dry out and away it went. This fridge has has survived some of the worst roads in Australia. Many times I have seen other popular brands fail on corrugations but this thing just powers through. If I had one gripe with this fridge, it would be that the handles are a little weak for tying down.
Worlds best camping fridge without doubt.

Purchased in March 2001 for $1,199.00.

Zhivan

ZhivanSydney

Love my Engel fridge

My Engel fridge never gets turned off. I use it in the house as a spare fridge, plus on fourwheel drive and camping trips. You can set the temperature and forget about it. It is convenient to put perishable items in it when shopping too. Never going back to an icebox again. The only small thing i don't like is that it is a little loud when the compressor cycles on when sleeping nearby.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017
Troy Kenny Aitkenhead

Troy Kenny AitkenheadAgnus Waters

still works like new

in my 4wd 83 Nissan patrol for 9 years on dirt roads not tied down, in qld,had fire wood on top of it in dust, and in floods & exposed to salt water close to the ocean every day, the 4wd rusted out but the fridge is a bit dinted and damaged bit of surface rust around the lid where the paint chipped off but still snap freezes and cold as new! just the battery went flat for the temp gauge after a year other wise it works really well draws 2.5 amps on max turbo freeze and idles about .03 of a amp after every things cold depending on how many times you open the lid

Date PurchasedJan 2008

The best kitchen appliances in 2020!

Nathan S.1 Nov 2019
the-best-kitchen-appliances-in-2020

Best Fridges and Dishwashers in 2020!

Wendy Z.12 Nov 2019
best-fridges-and-dishwashers-in-2020
Dave

DaveWodonga

Excellent Fridge, Well worth the money but shop around

I've not long purchased my third Engel and the latest model is a ripper. With it's inbuilt LED light, Digital Temperature display and inbuilt low voltage cutoff it represent great value in price and design. If I have one grip it is the quality of the outside cover. It is not made with heavy duty canvas as the older models used to be and I question its durability especially if left outside on the back of a ute in the sunshine. The big positive is it uses less power to achieve a better result, 2.5amps an hour on freeze. Still a good fridge with a large backup and worth buying!

Date PurchasedDec 2016
Brad

BradNewcastle

The best camping fridge

The best camping fridge on the market. Yes, it it expensive - but you pay for what you get. I have had my Engel for years now, and there has never been any problems of any kind. It is a solid as a brick. Freezes stuff even in sweltering heat. There is a reason they are so popular. I can carry my myself (to load into the trailer) when it is empty, but need a second person to help carry it when it is full of food/drinks. Easily accessible handles let you tie it down easily in your vehicle.

Date PurchasedMar 2013
iShopNreview

iShopNreview

Without a fault when you need it the most. Priceless

I have had my engel for 4 years it's been all over Australia in that time, into the dusty deserts of Western Australia mostly, and it has never skipped a beat, I even get to have ice cream in the middle of the desert, keeps drinks ice cold, meats stay perfectly cold, and milk and dairy has never gone bad. They have easy access and a light inside so you can see what your doing at night time. Thanks engel best fridges ever made.

Date PurchasedFeb 2014

cant beat it

brought in 2004 been across the simpson flinders top end plus to many camping trips to name.
only advice is once its turned on for the first time don't turn it off except to move from the house to the car.
they dont like being used then turned off and put away till next time.

Date PurchasedJune 2004

andykGemfields Central Queensland, Qld

Good unit ...hasnt missed a beat

Purchased in 2011 (to replace an earlier model that I fried the power board on with a quick charger and needed a quick replacement) The unit has run continuously in the back of the Cruiser ever since. These are great reliable units that are generally bullet proof and can take a few knocks . Temperature control is precise and the beer is always at the set temp of 0.3 C deg . By the way the original MT45F purchased in 2001 still works perfectly today after a $400 repair that was my fault anyway not the units. Thanks Engel

Date PurchasedDec 2011
andyk

Just a follow up ...another 2.25 years on and its still going as good as the day I bought it, thanks engel !!!

Good thing

Brought the mt45 a year ago and it has been faultless so far have done numerous weekend hunting trips and day trips also a 5 week trip throughout the gulf and nt without missing a beat. Had a waeco cf50 which had an extremely hard life and died after 9 years my in laws got it fixed for $80 and are currently 6 months travelling oz without a fault!!! I have noticed the engel appears to use a lot less power than the waeco and cools quicker I also top the batteries with a solar panel and get many days out of the 100ah battery.Im hoping to get a long life out of this one fingers crossed as friends have had theirs for 20 odd years

Date PurchasedJan 2016

Best fridge/freezer around

Cant fault it, never misses a beat. Have used it from the Outback to the Snowies, would never leave home without it

faded

fadedPerth

Wouldn't leave home without it

Had it for coming up on 6 years now without any drama's, Dad's is coming up on 25 years old with no drama's,
Been on plenty of trips with other people with Waeco's and similar and all have had faults at some point in time, sure they are extremely expensive for what they are but they should last a life time.
reliability, simplicity,
expensive

TDI42GU

TDI42GU

How good are engel fringes!!

I looked at the cheapies, the no names, the waeco, and settled on just forking out the coin to get the real deal. Glad I did, it is great. Doesn't seem to draw a lot of power, never flattened my batteries, and I run it all the time when I'm away.
Sturdiness, good travel cover, cold cold rum.
Lacks factory fitted tie down points bar the handles and they will bend?

JMD71South East Queensland, QLD

Nothing beats it

Purchased 4 years ago ,absolute bullet proof ,reliable,cant fault it.Use at as second fridge at home has been drowed on one occasion,thought that was the end of it.Left it for a day to dry out pluged it back in and it works like new.Been in 4wd over some pretty bad conditions and has never failed.You buy this fridge as an investment as it just keeps going
Ultra reliable,tough as they come.
Cant fault it in 4 years

JMD71

Just a quick follow up,fridge still going strong no problems at all ,been to cape over Tele track etc twice never let me down ,

Cary x

Cary xasked

MT45

My 40ltr engel fridge/freezer has recently started to drain most of my battery flat over night, seems to be running quite often. Have replaced my 100ah agm with a new 135ah agm and the problem is still on going. What could it be, on our way to the Cape and will need to have it sorted. Running engel as freezer at -11 which I've done for the past 6years.

Shane

G'day Cary, I'm not sure if its the same issue -but I had a similar event while on Fraser a while ago. I run an Optima battery ( as the dual / 2nd battery) I would drive a few hours a day without topping it up on a solar panel. Thinking this would be enough to keep it charged. It is but not for a few days, the battery was slowly using more power than I was putting in. When it gets down to 10.5 to 11 volts while running the fridge it needs a good charge to get it up to speed again. Your freezer will draw a max of 2.5 a/h's per hour for memory. I thought I would fully charge my battery with a hour of driving, this is not the case I've been told it can take 4-5 hours of driving. A good quality 120a/h battery will drain to about 50%-60% meaning you'll get about 50 hours at 1 a/h , 25 hours at 2 a/h ( ballpark) . But that's draining it to the max.
The solution is not to let it drain that far down and try to recover by driving a few hours a day. Solar is needed as soon as you stop to keep it 80% charged plus at all times. I'm also off to the Cape again in June , can't wait.
So charge it up fully ( volt meter will be 12.8 / 13 v) and maintain a charge via solar ( or 240v) and see how that goes. And try not to discharge it to the max to often, they can struggle to recover - I could be wrong but that sounds that could be the situation in your case. Cheers Shane 0406 787473

Jeannie D.

Jeannie D.asked

MT45

We can buy a thermostat for $90. Is it able to replace our thermostat which is unable to turn itself off when it reaches temperature

Russellasked

MT45F-S

My Engel cycles on for 4 seconds then off for 4 seconds and repeats this for as long as it is turned on.
It starts doing this as soon as it is turned on.

G'day Russell,

Some thing wrong there, if you have set on ? say -5 , it will run for a while and turn off for short periods. After 24 hours or so it'll run less and be off longer as the fridge has achieved its desired temp.
It sounds like a thermostat or control setting issue. You'll need to get it to a Engel service agent to have it checked/ fixed. Might still be under warranty ? Cheers
Shane.

Russell

It short cycles as soon as you turn it on , it never achieves temperature - it does not matter what number you set the thermostat to.

Engel MT45

The Engel MT45 is a dedicated fridge and freezer combo, known for its durability and energy efficiency. It's able to be powered by 12V/24V and mains electricity. It has a sturdy, steel casing, an interior LED light, and a digital temperature readout and thermostat.

Reviewers appreciate the Engel MT45's strong build, and its ability to run in high temperatures and survive rugged roads. The digital thermostat is widely praised, as is its energy efficiency. Some reviewers considered it a little louder than other fridges, and saw its hefty price as a potential flaw.

Compare all 4 Engel MT45
Engel MT45FL
  • Discontinued

Engel MT45FL

No reviews yet
CategoryPortable Fridges / FreezersPortable Fridges / FreezersPortable Fridges / FreezersPortable Fridges / Freezers
Price (RRP) $1,299.00$1,399.00$1,449.00
Type Dedicated Fridge + Freezer ComboDedicated Fridge + Freezer ComboDual Zone Fridge + Freezer
Capacity40L40L40L
Can Capacity60 Cans60 Cans
Power SourceCar (Cigarette Lighter) and Wall OutletCar (Cigarette Lighter) and Wall OutletBattery and Wall Outlet
FeaturesDigital Display Panel and Interior LightDigital Display Panel, Removable compartment divider and Thermometer
Weight24 kg24 kg24 kg
Dimensions 508 x 648 x 364 mm508 x 648 x 364 mm508 x 648 x 364 mm
Manufacturer Warranty3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)
Construction MaterialSteelStainless Steel