2ExpressVPN

1.5

96 reviews · Statistics

10% · 1083 · 86%
Rates and Fees
Brand Manager for ExpressVPN? Claim your listing.
Best VPN Providers
See the Best VPN Providers in 2024 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Trebreh
TrebrehNSWSydney, NSW2 posts

ExpressVPN Mainland China Experience

It has been category stated in their website that ExpressVPN works in mainland China. No, it is not getting connected in any of ExpressVPN channels. My December 2022 trip to the following cities: Chengdu; Chongqing; Shanghai has proven it is not working and getting connected. At first it is getting connected but after a few seconds, it is disconnected. Then you try to connect again but it never get connected. Attached are the screenshots to prove my facts.
Mohammad K.
Mohammad K.

Scammers

Just read their advertisement and then go to payment. You will realize such a big liars they are.
Nat B.
Nat B.NSWRichmond-Tweed, NSW2 posts

Don't even consider expressVPN as a option

Terrible service, Constant dropouts, need to chase up activation codes nearly every time you want to use it. It's 2022 the ability to update from the app should be achievable. I can't wait for my subscription to expire so I can change.
Clare
ClareNSWSydney, NSW4 posts

Does not enable access to BBC i player

If you have purchased a VPN Express so you can access the BBC i player then you have wasted your money. You are better off using Brit Box and waiting a little longer. It is also extremely unstable with the ITV hub.
Victor
VictorNSWSydney, NSW3 posts

Auto renew turning off does not work

Tried cancelling after not using the service (was okay when I used it, most servers are low speed). After cancelling miraculous gets charged again one month later. Tried cancelling again today. Fingers crossed it actually works.
Jan a.
Jan a.
trinayj
trinayjNSWSydney, NSW5 posts

Auto renew scam

They make it so hard to cancel your plan.. it looks like you have but there are hidden steps. Absolute scam of a business.
Simon M.
Simon M.QLDSouth East Queensland, QLD

Just cancelled my subscription

I have used to like express VPN, but for the last couple of months getting captchas on multiple websites and google searches on multiple devices and multiple browsers. Lodged a ticket and was to sign into my google account, which of course I was already. Then told to try different servers, but I have tried all the Aus servers to the same effect. Subscription cancelled, they simply don't care.
matt
matt5 posts

Killed my network card

This product killed my onboard network card after making changes and it never worked again not only that they just auto renewed this after telling them last year to cancel and refund the money.

Complete Rubbish of a product.

Fred
FredSAMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Steven S.
Steven S.WAPerth, WA2 posts

Auto renew scam. Doesn’t allow multi region Netflix

Having read other reviews I can confirm this is nothing short of a scam to get funds via auto renew. As others have identified cancelling auto renew is very difficult and a maze to navigate, it also sets up an auto renew in PayPal if you pay that way which you also have to cancel. Apart from that it doesn’t do what it says, kills download speeds and is nightmare to use. Stay away
Peter
PeterVICGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Ian G.
Ian G.Victoria33 posts

WORST VPN I HAVE EVER USED

Was only ok to begin with but has steadily deteriorated. No command line interface to terminate the program, you have to sneak at it via the taskbar. Takes several minutes to start up and despite their claims, IT DOES NOT ALLOW YOU TO ACCESS NETFLIX AT ALL, NOT EVEN IN YOUR OWN COUNTRY. THIS PROGRAM IS TOTALLY BOGUS.
prg
prg

worked well but tricky to unsubscribe

Was very happy with this VPN but when I went to unsubscribe after my holiday it was tricky . First to find the right button. - found that eventually , called something like cancel automatic renewal . But having tried several times I figured that was it and I was done. But guess what the next months payment came out! I used the help line and after 3 more attempts the cancellation went through . I was up for an extra months payment for a service I no longer needed . Nice apology , but no refund ! Its always easy to subscribe to these things , but never easy to unsubscribe.
Rusty ManneVictoria2 posts

Using overseas ip locations claiming to be in Australia

Regularly getting captcha, verify self on FB, Skype, eBay, as think am in Germany yet using Australian servers, same for Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne, Brisbane, multiple screenshots verify ip location

Sydney + Sydney 2 only ip locations in Australia, these regularly get blocked

Aled
Aled

Sneaky practices keeping customers on Auto renew

You have to go through 3 layers to cancel auto renew with unclear messaging through the process and dark UX meaning I hadn't realised I didn't fully cancel auto-renew only to realise months later.

warren
warren5 posts

Speed issues

Totally ruins my nbn speed used to be great not any more. Doesn't matter what location is select makes no difference. Support can't really order much help either. Choose another provider
John
John17 posts

Was good, turned bad

I've had this service for about 18 months now. my max internet speed is 100, ExpressVPN slowed it down to about 80 - I can live with that, until about 2 months ago it started slowing speed down to 6-7. Totally unusable. Spent countless hours on their tech support chat with no fix. So I've cancelled my 'auto-renew' and won't use it anymore. Beware, they might make it work for you when you first purchase it, but then slow it down to be completely unusable. I would avoid ExpressVPN.
Jet B
Jet B23 posts

UNRELIABLE and OVERRATED

Hopelessly unreliable VPN, definitely wont be continuing my subscription at renewal. Continual drop outs (not my wifi connection as have tested with & without VPN connected - without VPN my wifi NEVER drops). Useless for sites such as Formula 1 and international You Tube videos (wont connect at all - disconnect VPN and boom, connected instantly). Want a new tab? Click new tab and every single time have to do the stupid time consuming google test - without VPN new tab with no tests. The drop out of connection is the biggest pain in the butt - JUST USELESS. Way to many headaches for the apparent benefits. By the way, have approached support several times and they cannot fix ANY of the above.
Alaska52127
Alaska52127

Average

I started using VPNs maybe 6months ago and I did a trial test of a couple different. Express works, but it's also annoying at times. It kept dropping out and giving me no internet connection maybe once every hour and this would last for 1-3 minutes. It would say the VPN is still connected but then at the end of the time period it would briefly say disconnected then reconnect, so kinda shady there. Overall other than this it worked pr well. I wouldn't use it as my chosen VPN but it does okay
Ms G
Ms GSouth Australia67 posts

Jeremy P
Jeremy PVICGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Not To Be Trusted!

See attached photos.
I had gone onto Express VPN for a trial basis, which then they started charging (fine).
I hadn't renewed, however I've been getting emails (with no unsubscribe function) on an on-going basis.
I then submitted a chat enquiry on the 23rd Jan 2022 to stop this. I had got a confirmation that the service is no longer active (see attached images), but to my surprise, ExpressVPN started charging me again on the 25th Jan 2022!
Started another chat enquiry, which there was no explanation as to why, and a subpar response.
Don't think any company should be able to operate with such unethical standards.
O .G
O .GNSWSydney, NSW8 posts

Stop ruining YouTube

Stop infiltrating YouTubers with your slimey advertising. Ruining the integrity of YouTube and the independents there. It seems like you point a gun to every youtubers head making them read your ad script.
1977.bart
1977.bart
MLJ
MLJVICGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

ExpressVPN working perfectly

I purchased my subscription a couple of weeks ago - I can't fault it whatsoever. My sole reason to sign up was to stream BBC iPlayer or Channel 4. I haven't had a single hickup either accessing via my mobile phone or laptop - works perfectly and no buffering whatsoever. The subscription is a bit on the expensive side but the previous VPN I used was a lot cheaper but I regularly encountered issues accessing iPlayer. So, I highly recommend.
Not happy
Not happy4 posts

Quality and service has rapidly declined

Used to be a great service
Over the years it has declined and the customer service for any issues which used to be brilliant basically tells you to rack off when you reach out
So sad too bad was basically their last reply when I explained the issue I am having
Was easy to use if you were not to tech savvy now online help expects you to be a coder as your day job.
Renewed this year against my better judgement and now regret it
Will be sourcing an alternative
Really disappointed after years of great service

Gireesh R.
Gireesh R.

Perfect expensive piece of crap

It is the worst vpn , never recommend it to anyone . I got mad because i have spent money for this crap.
Please do not buy and regret about it. It is slow and not secure.
whatever i.
whatever i.4 posts

rubbish

It would not turn off and many apps wouldnt run with it on. Tried settings,wanted to only turn on when I wanted it,but no,thats not how it works.I've uninstalled even though Im paid up until May next year,but the icon is still on my taskbar,so god only knows if its gone. Good luck if you buy this.
BIG G.
BIG G.VICGippsland, VIC4 posts

Has Issues

They claim it will allow you to access Netflix and other content from overseas streaming services but this is simply not true. Nearly all streaming sites block VPN access. The other gripe I have is that if you close it, it just stays running in the system tray, it needs an option to totally shut it down from the main interface.
seen9408
seen9408

Works very poorly on Netflix

It only works sporadically on Netflix, it markets itself as a very easy product to use where you can just choose where you wanna be and thats it but that is clearly a lie. I contacted the support and they just gave excuses and wasn't even willing to give compensation.
Ashley
AshleyQLDSouth East Queensland, QLD2 posts

Poor account management

Turned off auto renewal last year in June, come February, renewal switched back on without permission. After the attached card expired, withdrawals still were made? There are other providers, use a VPN that can be cancelled online without customer service representatives.
Matthew W
Matthew WVICGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC11 posts

Took my money after I requested 30 day money back guarantee

I used the Vpn for only few days and found it was to slow but when I applied for the 30 day money back guarantee, I was only given half my cash back.
Tony8029
Tony8029VICGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC134 posts

Doesnt work for Neflix

This service simply doesnt work.

I tried for a couple of weeks and couldn't connect to US Netflix.

Each time support told me they were aware of the issue and their "engineers" were working in it - for two weeks?

So essentially i wasted $20 to find this out.

CFJackie
CFJackieNSWSydney, NSW14 posts

WOW - Very Impressed

It has taken me sometime to decide on which VPN to purchase. I was a little intimidated by the product itself. Having said that, I my IT skills are excellent.

What impressed me the most was the Customer Service. I did have some difficulty putting in three devices, however was helped and guided through.

Yet to do the smart TV.

Have received several followup emails to see if all is working with real contact details.

Colin52
Colin52WAPerth, WA237 posts

Dreadful service

Speeds are a few kb/sec and often does not work.
Worst still is if you don't want to sign up for another year is they have your credit card details and no options to remove credit card details so you keep getting billed.
I'll have to cancel my credit card and get a new one so I can be free of them.
They used to be good but not in 2021 they are quite dreadful and very slow.
LTN
LTNVICGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Buyer beware - turning off automatic cancellations needs multiple confirmations

Product: works less than half the time in China. May take forever to connect and then will randomly disconnect for no reason. Completely useless at times.
Service: when you click "cancel", it looks like confirmation was successful but you need to click twice. Borderline deceptive.
Bottom line: do not believe all those 4-5 star reviews they paid for to rank high on Google.

Globetrotting Steve
Globetrotting SteveSAMetropolitan Adelaide, SA52 posts

Doesn't connect to servers 90% of the time

I have had this for a year - it worked at first. I live in Australia choose Melbourne as a smart selection and 2 Sydney hubs too - none of them ever connect automatically - locks me out won't stop, cannot quit - really overrated product. Can't wait for it to expire in September - pointless if the product does not do its primary job - ergo we are left exposed - US$99 so AU$130 is a high price for a poor product.
Unhappy
UnhappyQLDSouth East Queensland, QLD5 posts

Stole my money, then gave me no access to the VPN

Took my money quickly then proceeded to give me no access whatsoever. It keeps asking me to sign up despite the money having been paid already. How do I get a refund when in their eyes I’m bot even subscribed?
Jill M.
Jill M.5 posts

Tommy A.
Tommy A.NSWSydney, NSW6 posts

I can't access Netflix outside of Australia

The main reason I chose this is that they claim you can access Netflix and other streaming libraries from around the world. COMPLETELY FALSE. Their support team is only available via chat and there seems to be a bug as I keep getting errors...anyway it's a complete of waste of time. Also when I connect to other countries, my internet speed is slow. I've chatted with 4 different support members but none could help me so I ended up cancelling thank god it's within the 30-day trial period so I was able to get full refund.