Feast Watson

2.4

Follow instructions - works

I use it to finish guitars. They have woods ranging from maple to ash to mahogany. I find if you follow drying instructions they work fine. Wipe on poly is no different. It is easy clean up, very economical. You have to wipe it on thin and be patient. It starts going off straight away which is good. Don't keep going over it and don't rework an area that's partly dry. The quick flash off means less dust and debris settles and it doesn't show fingerprints and incidental touches.

Stain and varnish - rubbish

Extremely difficult to get a good finish from this product. Bubbles easily, goes tacky very quickly, but takes 12 hours before recoat so takes forever to complete a project. Never again..

AndrewSydney Surrounds, NSW

Decent epoxy resin

Been using this for a number of years with no real issues.
Finish is a little 'softer' then other brands and can scratch easily, but generally comes up really nice.
Curing time can vary massively with weather, some pours i've done have taken 24 hours, others have taken 7 days to harden. So do when warm, and be sure to mix thoroughly, and when you think its mixed, mix some more.
The 5:3 ratio is a pain, and most epoxy measuring cups won't have this ratio.
All in all, happy with how it turns out, but will use other brands for higher quality jobs or larger pours.

Store LocationBunnings Narellan

Sanding Sealer - excellent

Gives a perfect surface. Reduces contrast with pine. It’s not just dilute clear coat, there are solids in it so mix it PROPERLY every time you open the can. Can be a bit thick in cold weather. Turps based.

Bill v

Bill vIllawarra, NSW

Too soft a finish marks very easily

Half way through coating a cedar deck which I spent many hours on preparing.
Thought I’d bought a good product spar varnish . Third and fourth coats on parts of the deck .24hours and light sand between coats . It’s been four days since the last coat. Lovely weather for drying.
The stuff is too soft , you can scratch it with lightly using you finger nail. It marks easily have to redcoat with something else. Lots of time and dollars wasted

Store LocationNowra Bunnings
Dave G.

Dave G.South East Queensland, QLD

Terrible

What a horrible product
I best describe applying FW Stain nVarnish like using a two tone paint
I applied with a brush and a sponge,with below average results
Bubbly even after only stirring,leaves thick patches of stain next too thin glossy parts "in 1 brushstroke"
Sticky takes forever too dry
Has really made a mess of my dining room table which I spent hrs preping,$60 a litre as well
NEVER again Feastwatson,binning product and back too a few hrs prep again sanding all off.

Store LocationBunnings Burleigh

Garbage

Tried using this for the first time when finishing a piece of furniture. Does not wipe nicely and tends to be very sticky but also very runny which leads to an ugly finish unless extreme care is used, which just leads to a mediocre finish instead.

Stripped the piece and tried again with spray varnish method this time, again a disaster - despite instructions on the can claiming that the stain can be mixed with varnish, this does not work correctly as the stain seems to isolate itself from the varnish leaving tiny black 'globules' of stain in addition to the main pigmentation.

Would not recommend ever using prooftint especially as there are far more reliable stains from Cabbots available for less than half the price!

356nut

356nutGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Good but bad Pooftint

Store LocationBunnings mentone
Frank M

Frank MGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Faulty product an they won't admit

Feast Watson 10L Taman Merbau Decking Stain have never had an Issue in the past. This year I bought a new tin did the prep as per other years an this time the product will not dry, it is tacky, Rang Feast & Watson and was told to apply Mineral Turps to a cloth so it will dry ..... That tells me the Product is FAULTY .. Why not admit to the Faulty product.. NEVER ever going to use this product again.
I even tried a sample on Raw timber an the results were the same did not dry remained tacky eventually it dried nearly 2 weeks later.

Shocking

4 times and a fortune later and still cant get a good finish after following instructions perfectly!!! This product is definitely not worth the hassle!!!

Sque

SqueLismore

Dishonest product

Three times I have tried using it . First time a year ago on a bench, next two times in a kitchen. I tried using the recommended sealer on two of these uses. Once direct onto timber. Each time the results were the same a very uneven and pitted finish. Regardless of using a torch. This product is not fit for purpose and expensive. I see other have wtitten articles of praise. Maybe its possible some of the product is contaminated. My experience , steer well clear, and buy a two pack fibreglass clearcoat instead. More reliable

squibcakes

squibcakesQLD, 4154

Amazingly simple to use - really nice finish

We bought this product to finish a soft piece of cedar mounted on knee wall in the entrance to office.

The instructions were easy to follow - seal timber with clear varnish, then clean properly with metho to remove finger prints etc. Mix both bottles and stir well for few minutes.

Applied to timber and used blow torch to remove bubbles.

The resin set hard overnight and finish is just like glass - so smooth and clear. Perhaps some very minor ripples in finish if you look across the surface at low angle. It doesn't add any colour tint to the final finish either.

Very happy with the finish - so I don't know why so many people have issue with their finish.

Follow the instructions

I used Glass Finish on some small wood slices to make two trophies. Absolutely thrilled with the result - came out as good as I hoped it would. All I can say is follow instructions carefully and measure accurately. I sealed my surface prior to application with Proof Coat and then placed the emblem/decoration in place on the wood then applied glass finish.
Professional finish first time.
What more can I say?

Kmj.customs.

Kmj.customs.Newcastle

Absolutely superb product

Box

BoxPerth

Absolute Garbage

Bought this to finish a lighter but nicely figured piece of wood. Spent ages preparing wood before applying this. Used high quality brush. This stuff goes on like tar, uneven finish and colour. A complete waste of my time and effort. Avoid this garbage at all costs. I'd give it no stars if I could

Find out how Feast Watson compares to other Home Care Shops

Awful purple-pink tinge in walnut wood stain

Awful, horrible, waste of money. Patch tested and seemed okay so used on a larger part of my project. Turned the cabinet a horrible puce (think browny- purple-pink) colour. Tried to remove with metho most of the brown came away, left the cabinet pinky coloured. Have to sand off and retain with something else. I hope what ever I buy next can cover it up.

Glass Finish - Epoxy is an ok product if you prepare properly

It's always easy to blame the product. I do a lot of woodcraft including redgum natural edge desks, coffee tables and other various items. I have used this product many times and have had no issues. I live in Ballarat - Victoria where the temperature can be all over the place - hot, cold and that's usually a factor when setting up to apply epoxy. I have never has issues with this product - as my preparation and application were done correctly. Jack from Ballarat.
Looks good when applied correctly
Doesn't come in larger volumes.

Very dissapointing

Was advised by 2 different bunnings stores to use this product to apply onto travertine table,was skeptical but trusted them , applied to perfectly clean and sanded italian travetine dining table .I stood around with small blowtorch to [suffocate ] the ridiculous amont of bubbles forming on the surface ,needless to say was not succesfull ! will have to strip and redo with something else , do not waste your money on this [censored word removed]!!! I have used many 2 part epoxy and urethane finishes in the past with success ,this stuff is no good

Constantly bubbling ,would not tack off for ages ,then all of a sudden just skinned of will all these huge bubbles in it

bonbon1977

bonbon1977Perth, WA

Dont buy Feast Watson Glass Finish Varnish

Gary G.asked

I have a piece of timber... it has a hole in it that I am hoping will fill up when i use the glass finish. any hints on that would be helpful, (I have sealed the bottom so that it forms a well etc) I wanted the wood to be a tad darker. What kind of sealing stuff (product) do i use before the Glass finish ? and can that be coloured slightly ?
finally, is this a once of pour of the Glass Finish or do I have to do it a few times ?

Andrew

I generally clean out holes then seal with FW proofseal. If if you want it darker you can add a few drops of the FW Spirit based stains to the part A of the resin before mixing. Fill the hole First, let set then sand back to the surface before applying the glass coat over everything.

Jeff7

An oil based polyurethane will darken it slightly but you will have to make sure it is really hard before you do the resin pour. There are tinted versions if you want it darker. I sealed my tabletop with poly first. Tips - Resin finds the tiniest hole in the bottom of your seal so double check it. The glass finish will run off the edge so sit your wood on blocks so it doesn’t stick to your workbench. Pour it in one go so there are no extra layers. Use a little gas torch or your wife’s kitchen creme brûlée torch to lightly flame the glass finish after a few minutes - it gets rid of the tiny bubbles that form. Do it twice (carefully). Clean the wife’s torch with acetone before she finds out. This will be messier than you expect, be organised and have rags and paper towels ready.

Gary G.

Thanks for your help... so... I have put the sealer on and strangely this piece of timber has come up looking a little strange. One raw edge is lighter than the Other raw edge.
If anyone has any advice before i pour resin over it, I would appreciate some guidance

Kerrellasked

Can I put Feast Watson Glass finish over FW French Polish? Really want a high gloss on dining table.

Jeff7

Yes if it is a genuine french polish that uses only shellac. Shellac is used as a traditional wood sealer that will work under anything. If it is some modern fake French polish that is solvent based there is a chance the epoxy won’t stick to it. Some risk here, I’d probably try to do a test but that Glass Finish is expensive to experiment with.

Kerrell

Thanks it is the Feast Watson French Polish. So suspect yes a modern version and spirit based

Andrew

Yep. As long as it's not a wax based polish. From memory the FW French polish is spirit based shellac. So should be fine.

John C.asked

Hi I have stained my pine bar top with one of your stainers and it has come out well. I would like to put your epoxy resin mix on top, but I want to make sure first that the stainer will not leech into the resin. Could you confirm please if this is the way to go? Cheers

Jeff7

Completely different solvents and technology so it should be fine. But I have to say that applying epoxy as a top coat isn’t easy. It doesn’t brush well and it doesn’t go perfectly clear unless you buy a specific pouring / casting epoxy which mainstream hardware stores don’t sell. I’d use polyurethane. Much easier and just as hard if you buy a proper flooring-grade poly which resists scratching better.

John C.

cheers Jeff, I was planning on using the same brand as the stainer Feast Watson, so hopefully that works well together

Get an answer from our members and Feast Watson representatives