3FiSHAW Urban

FiSHAW Urban Questions & Answers

Ella · UB400

Is Fishaw E-Bike UB400 a peddle assist, or throttle? Thank you Ella

FiSHAW   DM

The UB400 model has been upgraded and is now the UB420 model. All of our electric bikes are pedelecs and are fully road compliant in line with Australian E-Bike legislation which states that all e-bikes with more than a 200-watt motor must be pedelec e-bikes, which means that the motor will not engage until the pedals move. Any e-bikes that are not pedelecs and have throttles and do not use the pedals to engage the motor, can only have a motor that is 200 watts or less. Pedelecs cannot legally have a motor that is more than 250 watts and must be speed limited to 25 kph. Any electric bike that does not meet the requirements in this legislation are not legally able to be ridden anywhere except on private property. They cannot be ridden anywhere in public, either on or off the road. The authorities are really starting to enforce these laws recently and the fines are hefty.
As the FiSHAW UB420 Urban E-Bike has a mid-drive system (motor), with 80 Nm of maximum torque available, a throttle has not been added to this model. FiSHAW has some of the most powerful urban mid-drive pedelec e-bikes on the Australian market that while still be fully compliant with Australian legislation, have a very generous 80 nm of torque, which translates to a lot more power available to you. This has made them very popular with our customers who live in very hilly areas who have found that the rear hub e-bikes and less powerful mid-drive motors have struggled compared to our urban models.

Australian legislation states that on a pedelec e-bike, with a 250-watt motor, you can only legally have a throttle that is speed limited to 6 km.

Throttles can be necessary on rear hub e-bikes as the time it takes for the motor to switch on can be delayed and they do not have as much power as mid-drive models and often need the assistance of a throttle for greater power assistance for hills etc.

For the extra expense and another electronic component, you will need to maintain and only be able to go 6 kph; FiSHAW did not consider this a necessary addition. The use of a throttle uses considerably more battery power and will greatly decrease the range of the battery.

This model does have a walk assist function that you can operate from a button on the control panel on the handlebars, which you can use to start off while riding the bike, if you wish to. The walk assist speed of the drive system in the UB420, which is operated from the display is set at 6 km/h.

Our customers have found that the power assistance on our mid-drive systems consistently starts after about 1/2 to one turn of the pedals.

I hope this information helps to answer your question? If you have any questions or would like to know more about this model or e-bikes in general, please contact us directly and one of our customer service team will be more than happy to assist you. We have a contact form on our website or you can contact us directly at info@fishaw.com.

FiSHAW Team

Ella

A very thorough explanation. Thank you very much.

Theo
Theo · UB400

Is it possible to fit a throttle to EB 400 bike

FiSHAW   DM

Hi Theo Thank you for your question regarding our UB400 Urban model. Unfortunately it is not possible to fit a throttle to our mid-drive e-bikes.

Regards, FiSHAW TEAM

Dewdrop
Dewdrop · Urban

I was wanting some feedback please on the F30 folding bike does anyone have this one and how is the range and performance etc?
I currently have two ebikes one of them is a folding cheapie but has performed very well, but I always find the batteries really start to go on me at the two year mark I ride probably six days a week have any of you had your bikes long-term does the battery seem to hold up for a good while?
Thank you.

Andrew
Andrew · Urban

G'day, have trouble with your website. Do you have a contact number.

Andrew

Melb 03 4108 9906
Bris/Gold Coast 07 3053 5060

FiSHAW   DM

Hi Andrew The company's phone contact details are as Rick as posted above. Thank you Rick! Or you can contact us by email at info@fishaw.com and one of our customer service team will be happy to answer any and all questions you may have.

Steve T · Urban

Hi, I have a heart condition and find it difficult to get started when pulling away from traffic lights etc. Do your bikes have motor assistance available without me having to pedal much from a standing start? Also hills, I need something that I assist to get up not, not something that assists me if you know what I mean?

Tim G.

I have a heart condition as well. These bikes take all the hard work out of cycling. Once the power is on, and you have the pedal at 45 degrees, it is very easy to get going from a standing start. We have a steep hill near us when we go whale watching and we just select the right gear, which is just at the touch of a button and we sail up the hill. I cannot recommend the bikes highly enough. I am will be 80 years old next year if that helps!

rick t.

I’ve just had a triple bypass operation,all you need to do do is make sure you stop in the correct gear ,and have power assist working ,and in 1/2 to one turn of the pedals you will be away .
I just recently rode up a hill that was over 13 % gradient.it was steep,but bike and person peddling just made it.
These are lovely good bikes for the money.
Cheers rick

FiSHAW   DM

Hi Steve If you can let us know if you are looking at the mid-drive urban e-bikes or the UB200 rear-hub drive urban e-bike, as there is a big difference in the assistance and when the assistance kicks in. Thank you to Tim and Rick for answering with their own experiences after riding their mid-drive Urban E-Bikes.

Steve T

Hi, I don’t know which drive system I need. I would appreciate if you could read my original question and advise the better option given my requirements from that.

FiSHAW   DM

Hi Steve Thank you for your reply. Out of the different Urban E-Bikes that we sell, the mid-drive e-bikes would suit someone with a heart condition that needs to be able to have the motor engage as soon as possible after turning the pedals and to have ample power to assist with hills and headwinds etc. The UB400 and UB600 Urban models are our mid motor urban e-bikes, they are a hybrid style of bike and are suitable for riding on and off road on most maintained trails and tracks that have compacted surfaces.

These 2 models have the M400 Bafang 250-watt mid-drive motor which is fully compliant with Australian legislation regarding e-bikes, while offering a very generous 80 Nm of maximum torque. This makes these models, some of the most powerful road legal urban e-bikes and they are able to be ridden anywhere in public that a conventional bicycle can be ridden.

The Bafang motor is monitored by a very sophisticated motor management system which means that the level of power assistance chosen by the rider is available to you, within 1 second after turning the pedals.

We do have a 2 week after purchase trial on offer to all interstate customers outside of Queensland so that you can try the e-bike for yourself to determine that it is suitable for your needs if you are not able to test ride one of our demonstration models in Queensland or Victoria. If you live in Perth, Hobart, or Adelaide, we do have a 50% discount on delivery fees for all of May, and we pay for the return shipping costs, if you choose to send the e-bike back at the end of the trial period. We have not had one bike returned so far!

If you would like more information on any of our models and or their components, please feel free to contact us via our website contact form or at our email address at: info@fishaw.com.

Regards,

Steve T

Sounds good. Is it possible to get a test ride in Brisbane? I can’t easily get to the Gold Coast as I’m not allowed to drive for medical reasons

FiSHAW   DM

Hi Steve If you contact us directly at info@fishaw.com, we will see what we can organise to accommodate your need for a test ride in Brisbane.

Bruce M. · Urban

How do you remove the battery on U 400 and U 600 is the key for this of an ignition key

Tim G.

Turn key and insert finger under lip and move sideways

FiSHAW   DM

Hi Bruce The key locks the battery into place and unlocks the battery, so that you can remove it. Once you lock the battery into place no one can remove it from the bike when you leave it while you are away from it. Please make sure you don't leave your keys in the bike when you are out with the bike and always keep them in a safe place, as they are made to work for your battery only and are expensive to replace, if lost. Please make note of the code that came attached to your keys when you received the e-bikes, as you will need this if they are ever lost in the future.

When the key is turned one way, the battery is locked onto the bike and you cannot remove it. Please make sure that the battery is locked into place properly before riding the bike and definitely before leaving your bike unattended.

When it is turned the other way, you are able to pull the battery off the frame for charging away from the bike.

You need to pull the battery towards you out of the frame to remove it. If it is locked, you will be unable to pull it away from the frame.

I will email you a photo of the battery being removed, for your reference. If you still have problems, please let me know and I will get our manager to phone you and troubleshoot it with you.

We have found it is easier sometimes to hold the actual battery and pull it across towards you than just to pull it from the black finger hold on the side of the battery.

To replace the battery you need to do so on an angle with the bottom of the battery lined up with the connection points on the bottom of the battery and the frame and then push the battery firmly into the frame, so that it is firmly in the frame and can be locked into place again with the battery.

The removal and replacement of the battery becomes easier with practice. As the battery is part of the frame, it has to be a very snug fit into the frame. It can take a bit of force to pull the battery towards you the first few times.

If you need any further assistance or have any more questions regarding your e-bike, please do not hesitate to contact me at info@fishaw.com. We are here to help for the life of your e-bike.

Bruce M. · Urban

Thinking of buying a his and hers bike in the urban range wife would like a basket for luggage rack
Are tyres good enough for bush tracks not jumps but just tracks that are not tar or concrete
with usual rougher ride a lose surface
Regards Bruce

FiSHAW   DM

Hi Bruce Thank you for considering our Urban mid-drive e-bikes. They have been purchased by a lot of couples who ride together. These models are hybrid models, which means that the components, including the tyres, have been designed for riding on the road and on off-road tracks. As long as the bush tracks are well maintained walking and riding tracks with no large holes, ruts or rocks. The tyres on these bikes are a wider tyre than most hybrid road bikes for this reason.

If you would like anymore information, please let me know. We have a contact form on our website and our email address is info@fishaw.com if you have a comprehensive list of questions that you would like answered.

Regards FiSHAW TEAM

Bruce,
My ex bought a basket for the front from Kmart and it fitted perfectly. Probably wouldn't hold a large shopping though. You would have to make your own arrangement for the back but it shouldn't be too difficult, just keep it away a bit from the seat so it doesn't interfere with riding. A permanent piece of ply with sides would do it, depending on how you feel about the aesthetics.

Bruce M.

I’ve rarely read a product that has such positive feedback
Thanks again

Hi Bruce
My partner and I have Urban Fishaw bikes and they are just wonderful. Consider a pannier on the back. They have a big compartment and side zip up sections as well as room for a drink bottle. Leaves the front clear too.

Tim G.

Hi Bruce. My wife and I both have Fishaw Urban 400 bikes and have put Panniers on the back which work really well for a light shop. Great bikes.

Tu N. · Urban

Can I carry my kids on the electric bike on a child bike seat or a trailer in QLD?

Leigh Whitman

No problem..we carry a 10 kg dog in a dog seat attached to the seat. Bike takes the extra weight , no problem. Both a seat on the back or a trailer will work well with this bike.

Tu N.

Thanks for your reply. With a dog is fine. I’m just afraid that it’s illegal to carry a baby/toddler on the child bike seat on the e-bike...

Geoff

I presume so. All street bikes in Australia are limited to 25 kph and the urban Fishaw is rated to 120 kilos. And it has a rack at the back for a seat.

Geoff

That's all street ebikes.

FiSHAW   DM

Hi Tu N All of our electric bikes comply with the Australian legislation for pedalec e-bikes, which makes them all able to be ridden anywhere in public that a conventional bicycle is allowed.

The legislation for Queensland for Bicycle riders applies to all of our electric bikes. They are as follows:

Queensland Government – Queensland Legislation –
Transport Operations (Road Use Management—Road Rules)

Carrying People on a Bicycle and Bicycle Trailer Laws:

• the bicycle is designed to carry more than 1 person and has a passenger seat
• each person is wearing a helmet.

• Riding with a person on a bicycle trailer:

• (1)The rider of a bicycle must not tow a bicycle trailer with a person in or on the bicycle trailer, unless—
• (a)the rider is 16 years old, or older; and
• (b)the person in or on the bicycle trailer is under 10 years old; and
• (c)the bicycle trailer can safely carry the person; and
• (d)the person in or on the bicycle trailer is wearing an approved bicycle helmet securely fitted and fastened on the person’s head.
• Maximum penalty—20 penalty units.

• Carrying people on a bicycle:

• (1)The rider of a bicycle must not carry more persons on the bicycle than the bicycle is designed to carry.
• Example—
• A single-seat bicycle with a child’s seat attached is designed to carry 2 people, 1 on the bicycle seat and 1 on the attached child’s seat.
• (2)A passenger on a bicycle that is moving, or is stationary but not parked, must sit in the seat designed for the passenger.
• Maximum penalty—20 penalty units.
• (3)The rider of a bicycle must not ride with a passenger unless the passenger complies with subsection (2).
• Maximum penalty—20 penalty units.

So to summarize and to answer your question, yes it is legal in Queensland to carry a child on our bicycles or in a bicycle trailer if you comply with all of the above laws.

Our electric bikes are able to carry a combined total weight of 120 kg.

If you would like more information please contact us directly at info@fishaw.com and our customer service team would be more than happy to assist you further.

Tu N.

Thanks so much for your reply!

Simon T.
Simon T. · Urban

What are the frames made from specifically UB400?

Michael B
Michael B

To the best of my knowledge, steel.

Hi Michael our frames are made out of 6061 aluminum alloy. FiSHAW TEAM

FiSHAW   DM

Hi Simon All of our models frames are made out of 6061 aluminium alloy. If you have any more questions we are happy to help.

Ian P.
Ian P. · Urban

Can the Urban handle bars be Flatbar type instead of old style 4 bend type as photographed.? Ian P

rick t.

Yes you can fit a flat type bar to the bike quite easily, but I’m not to sure then what happens to the warranty of the bike.
Maybe FiShaw team will answer re modified handlebars.
But if you see my original review of the bike ,it was one of my recommendations for a better bike and ride
Cheers rick

Ken J.
Ken J. · Urban

Can you say how long the battery will travel on a full charge

Jackie
Jackie

I got all my information from Team at Fishaw.

FiSHAW   DM

Hi Ken Thank you for your question. The batteries on the Urban mid-drive system E-Bikes, the UB400 and UB600 will last for approximately 60 km on one charge. The total range is dependent on a number of factors. The amount of hills, head winds, weight of rider and luggage and the way that the bike is ridden.

The mid-drive motor systems have a much better regulation of the assistance needed and adjusts to the riders style and the demands on the motor at the time, this translates to meaning that mid-drive systems are much more efficient in the use of the battery power and we have found them superior in every way to the range available from a road legal rear hub motor system.

As we have chosen the M400 motors for the Urban models, which have a huge 80 Nm of torque, these models have more than enough power to handle even the steepest of hills with ease and when used in combination with the right gears for the riding situation, the battery is conserved even further. The average amount of maximum torque available from the entry model mid-drive bosch motors is only about 40-50 Nm of torque. We have found that we have been getting between 50-60 km of range in regards to distance available on one battery charge.

If you have any more specific questions or require any more detailed information on any of our models, or their components, please email us on: info@fishaw.com and we will be more than happy to help.

FiSHAW CUSTOMER SERVICE TEAM

Get an answer from our members and FiSHAW representatives

Select a listing for your question
FiSHAW Urban