Push Mowers Buying Guide

Our buying guide will explain which type of push mower would suit you most, how much you can expect to pay for one, and which features are worth looking out for.

MurrayMelbourne

Same problem, cheap plastic components

I also had the plastic height adjust or knob just break while mowing the lawn. Rediculously priced replacement parts, a third of the cost of the mower for one plastic adjuster knob! It would be a great project for one of the kids doing product design engineering to redesign with more durable parts!

Date PurchasedMar 2015

Generally good, but some cheap plastic components limit its durability

Initially very impressed - cuts well and lightweight but solidly-built frame at a good price. However, one of the plastic spring adjuster knobs broke off after a couple of months, rendering it useless without a $50+ replacement part. It's a shame they didn't just make this a metal part as the mower would otherwise be top-grade. The knob will continue to be a design flaw; I've bought additional replacement knobs for when I inevitably have to switch them again.

Date PurchasedDec 2017

ykat

ykatBrisbane

Easy to use, environmentally friendly

I switched from a petrol mower to Flymo about a month ago and very happy about it.
    It is so easy to use. It is not heavy at all. It cuts the lawn reasonably well -- good enough for my small level yard. It is better to rake the area to remove small tree branches or any other hard objects that can get stuck between the blades, prior to starting mowing. Lawn mowing feels more peaceful when you don't need to hear the engine noise.

Date PurchasedSep 2017
    Harry.L

Harry.LMelbourne

It's ok as a backup

It's ok as a backup lawn mower if your petrol lawn mower broke down. But it doesn't seem to be sturdy enough and grass get caught around the pivot rotating bit and the whole mower gets jammed unless you clear the tangled grass.
    would have thought that this machine would be easier to maintain but it actually requires more frequent maintenance then any other mower.

Date PurchasedNov 2016

Qurratu R.

Qurratu R.TAS, 7248

very satisfied and quiet!

very quiet for early morning used. good for exercise and environmental friendly as it did not need electricity or petrol. simply use your own sweat to run over the grass. easy to adjust depends on how high you want to cut your lawn. bought it in Bunnings after we moved into the new house with wide backyard.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

aitcho

aitchoNorth Queensland, QLD

It's outlasted two of my petrol mowers, still cuts nicely.

Date PurchasedJun 2006

frecs

frecsDunedin

Falls apart

Flymo H40 cuts well and it is easy to adjust preferred grass length. However... all this is negated by handles coming loose and wheels/blades falling off when being lifted or carried. This happens 7 times out of 10 no matter how carefully lifted. Handles are properly installed and feel secure... spend 20 minutes mowing... lift mower to place in shed and 'bang' wheels/blades hit the deck and I'm left holding only handles!

Date PurchasedOct 2016

Knob breakage

It's a very smooth and quiet mower but after just one mow, one of the two plastic knobs broke. Bunnings replaced it. Hope it's a one off faulty knob. Best feature is its relative light weight and the speed of the blades is pretty good. Price is relatively inexpensive too.

michshelly

michshellyBrisbane

Parts break

I had one of these. The first one a part broke 2 weeks after using it. Bunnings replaced it and the same thing happened. It's a shame !
    I also bought the grass catcher with it and the clip broke too.
    What a shame they can't take a bit more care with the design and use stronger materials than plastic !

Ramani

RamaniColombo

Gives a much smoother finish than its hovering cousin

MsFixIt

MsFixItWhyalla Stuart

Like a hot knife through butter!

I have a medium lawn space, and was looking for an environmentally friendly alternative. This is my first manual mower and it is wonderful! My lawn was over grown (lower to mid shin height) when I used this mower for the first time. It worked wonderfully on the smaller height areas (ankle and below height), but I was even more surprised that with a little patience and slowly easing the mower to and fro it actually faired well in the longer thicker areas! I wouldn't recommend making it a habit of letting the lawn get that long, as the longer grass did get stuck in between the blades and wheels from time to time. But at that ankle height range it works like a gem with hardly any effort!

Greg Psinas

Greg PsinasCabuyao, Laguna, Philippines

What a wonderful grass cutter.

Just found these grass cutters yesterday in Paseo,Laguna , Philippines at an outlet store called HMR. They had 2 units. The one I wanted to buy the salesman said was "broke" and tried to get me to take the other. I stubbornly bought the first unit as it was quiet versus the other. Then when I got home the next day I found out how to manually adjust the blade/cutter. Works wonderful !~~!

Sarzie Mac

Sarzie MacSydney

Good for smaller lawns

I bought my Flymo second hand, so it was well used before I got it. I found that it was easy to use, although it did require a bit of energy to do a larger area. Parts of my lawn were a bit too long, making it harder to use. I think it works better on thicker grass, like Buffalo, and my lawn is a bit too patchy for it with some of the finer blades of grass not being cut easily. Also it doesn't handle bumps in the lawn very well, so you will need a smooth surface for best results.

annakeee

annakeeeBrisbane

Great Alternative to Electric and Petrol Mowers

redcane

redcane

Cannot kill it, works well

mean machine

This thing can cut wonderfully its like a motor powered cylinder mower,but there is a problem with twigs.The catcher is sold separately, it doesn't like tall lush grass,the back roller doesn't stripe the grass its just basically a rear wheel,but it is one of the best hand mowers around. simply professional.
    very reliable
    no catcher

RussGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Flymo H40

I had one off these and abused it mercilessly. Mitre 10 were great with replacement parts. It was easy to repair but It eventually I let it die.. I have a much better lawn these days which is easier on mowers. I have an Ozito which is OK but does not cut as wide a path.
    Wide Cut. Easy to push.
    Unsuitable for heavy work

Russ

Just got another Flymo H40. Secondhand but in excellent condition. It was a pleasure to cut the grass after putting up with the Ozito. I will be more gentle on this one so it will last for years.

The Rose
    The Rose

Scott7392

Scott7392AU

Great for small lawn areas

Purchased 7 years ago after seeing my neighbours machine. No fuel required and quality of finish to the lawn is superb. Must recommend getting the optional catcher. Works well on couch and buffalo turf. I don't recommend letting your lawn get too tall between mows as this will cause difficulties. If this happens you have to start back at the highest setting first. Can also be used early morning or late at night without bothering the neighbours. Also pick up any twigs or stones before you mow. Perfect for small to medium lawns.
    Quiet, green, no running costs, an eye turner when mowing the nature strip.
    You must mow regularly and clear stones and twigs first.

SHANT-L

SHANT-LWaikato, NZ

Awesome hand mower.

Failed after 2.5 Years

OK until the roller failed. Warranty 2 years.
    Extreme disappointment Husqvarna would not replace it ex gratia.
    $149 mower plus replacement roller is now about a $200 mower.
    Anyone owning one should check the ends of the roller before the two (2) year warranty expires.
    Agent said they had never seen such a failure before! makes it all the worse a free replacement was not offered.
    Husqvarna/Flymo brand reputation fails in this instance.
    Light and cut well.
    Roller failed after 2.5 years

carer1
    carer1

I just got one , what a waste of money, it couldn't cut butter. blades don't go low enough.