Ford Falcon BA

See the Best Wagons in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Great car with a few small little issues

The BA Ford is a very reliable vehicle, very poor fuel economy I am currently getting 14.7L/100km
The shifter has had to be replaced as well as several ignition coils, these are the only issues I have had in 2-3 years of owning this vehicle. It has a nice 182kw of power along with a high quality traction system and a nice modern interior. It is a shame there is no AUX or USB option for audio.

Purchased in September 2016 for $3,100.00.

Noise Level
Boot Size
Features
Comfort

Great cat

Having just lost my vy commodore in a accident so got written off , was sad to see it go , anyway shopped a round for another came across a 2004 ba which i wasnt planning on buying but now so glad i did . Only 220 ks on it , feel like im nearlly driving around in a new car , interior is way better than the vy , absolutely love it ,, only problem is the roof lining but happy to spend $300 getting ghat done , anyway absolutely over the moon with it .

BadgeXT
Date PurchasedOct 2018

aussie transport at its finest

Falcons are a good car, this model had some good upgrades on the safety. Other than a bit more refined interior its pretty much your standard sedan. Nothing too fancy, reliable transport, they also have a bit of power too if you are into speeding or getting the kids to school early.

Had problems with the windows and the airconditioning too was not the best.

Date PurchasedFeb 2005

Great Reliable Sedan with a few small issues

The Ford Falcon BA is a great overall family sedan, a highly reliable 4.0L inline 6 fuel injected petrol engine. the car performs well at speed and with a stock exhaust it is very quiet. it has a well designed dashboard with many button functions. The issues I have had since owning the vehicle, have been the typical ford power windows, very slow and seemingly on their way out. Also I think the petrol consumption is nothing short of ridiculous and the standard brakes don't seem very high quality as with the wheel bearings. overall a great sedan with a some small and bearable issues.

BadgeXT
Date PurchasedSep 2016

Best car I have ever owned

Extremely reliable with little maintenance required. My BA Fairmont is a excellent veh with zero rust. I will be keeping it for a long time to come.
It has little road noise and is not too bad on the juice. Mechanically very little has gone wrong. It has plenty of leg room and the interior finish is good.

Badge(No Badge)
Date PurchasedJul 2003

Reliable car and cheap to maintain

Good car for someone who is on a tight budget and needs to get around in a reliable and relatively safe vehicle. Comfy car to drive due to its big motor. Interior is a bit cheap with a lot of plastic with some things breaking off such as the bonnet lever. Cheap to fix if something goes wrong with it. This car will do the job that you want it to do without any fuss. It loves its petrol but that’s to be expected of a vehicle this size. I recommend this car to anyone who needs a cheap and reliable vehicle to get from a to b without hassles.

Date PurchasedAug 2017

Amazing A+++

Ok so my car is not typical, I bought it with a lot of work done to it. This review is based on my 04' XR6 turbo with the stage 3 cobra build, full xforce exhaust and a grw3884r turbo with 500rwkw. Drives like a champ and faster than any NA V8 around.

TransmissionManual
Date PurchasedJan 2014

Great car, with a few little issues.

My 2005 BA MKII is a great car, is dual fuel and has power when needed.

Has just over 225,000km and still strong .
Automatic shifts excellent.

Issues:
The rear left brake hose failed, easy fix.
Water pump gasket started to leak.
Slight misfire. Does not affect the performance.
And that's all I can think of.

All and all, a great car definitely recommend this vehicle, despite what others say. Extremly reliable.

Date PurchasedJan 2017

Absolute Junk

So many problem with my BA - where to begin?
Purchased with 170,000 km on the clock for $5,500
Owned it for 1 year, in that time:
-Wheel bearings began whirring and needed replacement
-Roof lining collapsed on me
-Rear door locks failed and refused to lock - worse still, when opened from the outside, the rear doors would unlock the entire car - so I had to disconnect the rear doors (eg: inoperable)
-Headlights repeatedly failed - 3 times in one year.
-Random shaking at idle
-Radio would randomly freeze and bashing it with my fist was the only way to fix it
-Basically all trim that could snap, break or fade did so
-Throttle controls were dubious at best
-Transmission failed spectacularly - which seems to happen to all BA falcons, I then had it towed away for free.
-Fuel consumption wasn't great either - about 11-13 l per 100km mixed driving

On the plus side, the 4.0 litre engine was faster than most other cars on the road, and I'd always win at the lights.

But stay away - a terrible pile of junk

BadgeClassic Futura
Date PurchasedMay 2015

RELIABLE, SPACIOUS, COMFORTABLE, POWERFUL, ECONOMICAL & BUILT FOR AUSTRALIAN CONDITIONS !!

2005 Ford Falcon Futura MKII Wagon Petrol - Best 2nd hand vehicle purchase at 20,000kms only 6mths old (ex-Government)!!Serviced regularly at Ford Dealership due to computer diagnostics and drives like it did when purchased. Now at 245,000kms, Alloys,Plastics A1 with TenderLovingCare! Wheel Alignments/Tyre Checking, like footwear- PRIORITY! Friends LOVE Comfort and Ride, Airconditioning and Spaciousness! Has Removable Cargo Barrior and Cover for EXTRA CARGO and SAFETY!Power when required-SPOT ON! Parking EXCELLENT with turning circle precise and visibility EXCELLENT! Ground clearance EXCELLENT! Genuine Parts are bullet proof - New Brake Pads at 220000kms:-) and plentiful, therefore economical in the long term! Original Transmission is-SPOT ON:-) TOWING IS A WHOPPING 1.6 TONNES!! Looking to purchase new vehicle but will hold on to this RARE FIND!! Owner of a Bullet Proof Toyota Corolla as well!! Performance, Comfortable, HASSLE FREE MOTORING!!

Date PurchasedJun 2005

Budget car for now

Seeing that this 2004 sedan family car at present is running smoothly, even though regular 6 monthly service with Kmart & Auto service is a must to lessen the chances of a breakdown miles away from home. As long as repairs are small and costing no more $300 on average annually, especially if you are working part time or casual as I have to stop work every 12 working. days so that my boss can pay me sooner so that I. can save and put several hundred in my credit card in case of service and repair costs. Engine oil must be flushed and replaced with clean oil by your mechanic because if it becomes dirty, all sorts of problems can occur. Interesting to know, even though I didn't bother to ask the mechanic, that Ford parts from newer models up to 2016, could be used for the old model since most of parts are the same, barely any difference in design structure.

Engine Size2.0
Date PurchasedSep 2014

Surprisingly reliable serviceable and smooth for a high mileage clunker.

I bought my 2005 BA Mk II as a betweener for a few months until my car arrived here from the UK. It was an ex-locksmith company car and before that an ex- pathology lab transport car. This BA had done 338000 Kms but had complete service records from dealer delivery to now. I paid the locksmith $1500 with 11 months rego included. This car is a champion. I have already done 5000 kms and changed it oil, filter and coolant. It runs like a beauty, Still handles OK, starts first time and every electrical feature works.Its comfortable and has tons of seating and cargo space. The only downsides are: the hard plastic dash sections and the bonnet latch handle have cracked and failed. The hood lining has sagged. There is rust along the roof seams, in the engine bay, the front grill and some of the door seals. I have not seen that in a Falcon for a very long time. The transmission, when you select reverse, takes a bit of time before it engages. Other wise the 4 speed box is very adequate indeed. I have audited the market for the usual consumable parts like brake rotors, pads, radiators, drive belts, alternators and sensors etc. Prices are very reasonable and easy enough for professionals or the DIY owner to install for the most part. The BA MkII as a reasonably priced, high-mileage second hand conveyance is a big and pleasant surprise.

Date PurchasedMay 2017

2004 Xr6 turbo mark2

Best car we have ever owned! Brought with 70000km on clock. Flash tuned at 75000km 300kw. Has 195000 on it now. Just one issue, cd stacker failed. Other then that just regular maintenance, no problems at all! Think backend needs rebuilding now, clunky at times. Very fast, comfortable, cheap to run, tows boat and caravan well, both about 1.5 ton. Fuel economy 12.7 commuting urban mainly.

Date PurchasedMar 2011

Have oil leak at top front of engine running down the side of block

Hi all i just bought ba xr6 ute 2005 model it has a oil leak looks like its coming from the head but not sure. The oils running down towards alternator any ideas what it is or could it be the head?? If so roughly how much to replace as im in sydney n.s.w also the main belt looks a bit warn like its rubbing on the pulley is that the drive belt or timing belt as all the adds i have read say they have a timing chain? The ute has roughly 160,000 ks also the engine light came on also lol think i may have got a lemon...any help would be greatly appreaciated cheers

BodyUte
BadgeXR6
TransmissionManual
Date PurchasedFeb 2017

Great car!

I have a 2005 Mk II Futura, and I couldn't be happier. I'm it's third owner, and it's still going strong (currently 140000kms). For its age, it's pretty quiet, performance from a vehicle this size is good enough to really get moving without compromising fuel economy (unless you're a 'leadfoot driver' or 'spirited driver', in which case, it's a pretty good guzzler). It's quite comfortable, and the adjustable pedals make a surprising difference, and are especially handy for short drivers like me (5"3'). The handling for a car this size is amazing, as I have driven other cars and they just don't steer like this, smaller or larger. You turn the wheel and the car goes there. My only issue (pettiness really), is that it the 4spd gearbox is very feisty on a cold morning when the car hasn't been warmed up. Reliability is great, and the running costs are quite good for a vehicle this size.

Date PurchasedNov 2016

Mixed Bag

2003 build.Bought it at the auctions in Nov 2004 with 14000ks. It had an intermittent fuel/ electrical system issue that no one could resolve from when I picked it up. I owned it until June 2013. From about 2007 it started to let go and parts had to be replaced regularly. It had great aircon and the auto transmission never was a problem. It was heavy on fuel around town. Quite a comfortable car especially on long trips. Like most things built these days you shouldn't expect it to be trouble free especially after the warranty period is over.

Engine Size4L

Great

my xr6 is fast, fuel efficient but a pain in the bum the icc is giving me grief at the moment which I'm not happy about and I've had to replace all the suspension on it has it was all just about stuffed and had to replace a few other things

BadgeXR6
TransmissionAutomatic

don't ever buy this car lemon.

This is the worst car I have ever owned. Constant problems from day 1. I will never own a ford again after this car. Only owned the car for 1year and spent over $3000 on just maintaining it. Front door lock actuator went so car couldn't lock, radiator needed replacing, diff mount cracked, new ball joints and boots, some thing with the engine that two different mechanics had to do. All new ford bolts and gaskets for engine. If u want a lemon buy a ford. Even Henry Ford was quoted saying he didn't get rich off selling cars he got rich off selling parts for the cars. So what does that say. Made to break.

TransmissionAutomatic

Towed our caravan almost 10,000kms!

Our car never let us down on our caravan trip. Still own the car and can't bring ourselves to sell it, if we did the next would be an XR6. Fuel consumption was huge though but still saved a lot of money versus purchasing a 4wd. Our van was just under 2,000kg. Should have gotten the wagon which has the leaf springs so the rear end didn't sag so much.

Engine Size4.0L V6

Great car for carrying stuff

I bought a 2004 BA wagon and had it for 9 months then stupidly sold it too soon. It had plenty of power from the twin cam barra motor if a bit thirsty around town. On long trips the cruise control is fantastic! It was a bit hard to see when reversing and the front seat had a sag to the right. The electric window master switch needed replacing and 2 door locks failed. If you keep the fluids topped up and use good oil and 98 petrol it won't let you down. Paint faded on the front bumper also the clearance was a problem for putting the front up on ramps (had to make extensions).
Don't take it off road as you will get bogged! Otherwise I would get another one if I had lots of stuff to haul around.

BadgeSR XT