Ford Falcon

Ford Falcon (page 2 of 15)

AU, BA, BF, EL, FG and FG X

See the Best Cars in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Best car i have ever owned..

My 1999 AU Fairmont is the best car i have ever owned.I have owned 27 cars in 19 years, various makes and models, but the most reliable, cheap maintenance cost, comfortable, smooth, car i will never sell is my Fairmont. It truly is an amazing car, and 100% reliable, with very minor mechanical issues, and in 10 years of ownership i consider it a honour to have such a amazing car, now 220,000 on the clock and i know it will last another 500,000 km.

BadgeForte
Date PurchasedJun 1999

Best car ever except for Ford not warranting the diff

Diff started to whine between 76-83 kph less than 15,000 k complained about the noise the service people advised to learn to live with it as the next diff could be worse asked for a replacement, went through a major illness and went back to the dealer nothing had been done drove until the 30,000 k service eventually had the new diff fitted at 43,000 k this diff lasted less than 3000k with noises from 92-98 kph complained to he dealer, today received call from Ford who advised that this is normal. I have had most models of Falcons from the XD and only the BA had a diff problem which was fixed most of my Falcons had over 200,000k with no issues my current FG has over 200,000 no noise the FGX only has the diff problem because Ford repair with reconditioned parts with the gear sets made in India not Australia.
Up until this vehicle I have never had an issue with Ford warranties this car has been the worst I have had the misfortune to own never again time for a new brand.
After a lot of research apparently there are two issues one a structural the other knowledge. The 2.73 diff ratio has a larger pinion and reduced thickness crown it is this that causes all of the 2.73 ratio issues they have to be set up correctly and torqued up correctly and you still need to pray, Ford has also lost access to the experienced staff as the factory has been moved to Thailand.
I have found a Ford IRS diff specialist and will have him fix the diff soon then complete a root cause analysis on the failure and present this to Ford.

BadgeXR6 Turbo
Date PurchasedMar 2016

Loads of electrical faults

Comfortable.
Fuel efficiency 700km around town on a full tank $90
Easy to drive
Stereo could be better
Electronics have gremlins galore with constant faults ALL the time which really lets this car down.
Climate control is fantastic.
Servicing yourself is easy on thus car.
Safety features great
Worth a drive before buy

BadgeXT EcoLPi
Engine Size5.0
Date PurchasedMay 2011

Won't start

Recently changed a brake line (has the 3 line set up From the booster) sat for about a week.
Chucked a battery in it, went to start it and nothing, first time turning the key to (starting position) comes up with a Code on dash that reads (base) then goes away once you turn key of to try again. Also when the key is in the firing position to start a brake symbol comes up.

Checked all relays, fuses ect ect
Battery is fully charged, I have disconnected the abs (was running fine after that)
Also used to be gas
Cheers guys

Date PurchasedMay 2015

I wish they still made the Aussie built Falcon

Picked up a Nov 2014 built XR6 from a Ford dealer in March this year. Immaculate example in every way only 18000km on clock mostly highway one owner vehicle. The old guy that had it before me is a Blue Oval man just like me. Great car effortless power. Just eats up the highway miles. This is the 2nd Falcon I've owned they both have been great.
This is easily the best Falcon yet. I'm not sure why some of the review's aren't always glowing. To bad they don't make them anymore.

Date PurchasedMar 2018

FGX G6E- The Best was saved til last!

This car is quite simply the best I have ever owned. I have owned all sorts of makes and models - BMW, VW, Toyota and this has all the luxury, power, comfort, looks and most all reliability you could want. I have the G6E which has electric everything, sat nav, digital radio and heaps of other goodies that give even most Euro cars of its era a run for the money. Super reliable and bulletproof engine; the inline 6 cylinder has been a staple for years by Ford Australia and has been further refined. Furthermore parts and servicing is cheap. It’s a shame that the FG X Falcon fell into obscurity - I have people say “nice car, what is it?” To which when I tell them it is a Falcon, they seem a little bewildered!!

Overall- do yourself a favour- they look great, are super comfy and reliable and you can pick them up for a fraction of anything else remotely similar in specifications.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

The best Tickford enhanced XR8

I have always owned Ford's, mostly Falcons. The AUII XR8 sedan I currently drive is one of the sweetest cars I have owned. Iv'e always loved the design & the 220kw Windsor in the last series 2 & in all series 3. The steering & handling is excellent, many say better than B & F series Falcons. The brakes are adequate but for those wanting more, later model big brake packages bolt straight on. Whilst the adaptive shift auto does the job, purests will prefer the 5 speed manual which really gets the little Windsor singing nicely. I strongly suggest upgrading the exhaust system if the car your looking at has the original factory system. For those looking for something a bit special, check out the T series from the same era.

BadgeXR8
Engine Size5.0
Date PurchasedOct 2001

Great Reliable Sedan with a few small issues

The Ford Falcon BA is a great overall family sedan, a highly reliable 4.0L inline 6 fuel injected petrol engine. the car performs well at speed and with a stock exhaust it is very quiet. it has a well designed dashboard with many button functions. The issues I have had since owning the vehicle, have been the typical ford power windows, very slow and seemingly on their way out. Also I think the petrol consumption is nothing short of ridiculous and the standard brakes don't seem very high quality as with the wheel bearings. overall a great sedan with a some small and bearable issues.

BadgeXT
Date PurchasedSep 2016

It’s okay

My experience driving this car has been pretty good, it is nice and smooth. I like the interior, it is nice and roomy. The only thing I dislike about this car is it’s fuel efficiency, it is just really bad and I find myself having to fill up multiple times a week with e10 as it’s the cheaper alternative.

Date PurchasedApr 2016

Good to have this the car.

The car is awesome I only ever have owned fords.
But I must say the fg is the best car I have ever driven..
power handling looks ... it’s got it all
I will never buy another brand .
I think in the near future I will be the proud owner of the new mustang

BadgeXR8
Engine Size5.4
Date PurchasedMay 2018

Best car I have ever owned

Extremely reliable with little maintenance required. My BA Fairmont is a excellent veh with zero rust. I will be keeping it for a long time to come.
It has little road noise and is not too bad on the juice. Mechanically very little has gone wrong. It has plenty of leg room and the interior finish is good.

Date PurchasedJul 2003

nice car

i have a 2008 ford g6e, it's a comfortable car to drive, it handle ok could be better, i have loved these cars for a long time but when it comes to owning one you really see the problems they have, the diff bushes like to go a lot, which you think ford would have resolved the problem with their new falcons before they discontinued them, they drink a lot of fuel too! They are very spacious and too many people they're plain however i love the interior!

Date PurchasedApr 2017

Reliable car and cheap to maintain

Good car for someone who is on a tight budget and needs to get around in a reliable and relatively safe vehicle. Comfy car to drive due to its big motor. Interior is a bit cheap with a lot of plastic with some things breaking off such as the bonnet lever. Cheap to fix if something goes wrong with it. This car will do the job that you want it to do without any fuss. It loves its petrol but that’s to be expected of a vehicle this size. I recommend this car to anyone who needs a cheap and reliable vehicle to get from a to b without hassles.

BadgeClassic XT
Date PurchasedAug 2017

Amazing A+++

Ok so my car is not typical, I bought it with a lot of work done to it. This review is based on my 04' XR6 turbo with the stage 3 cobra build, full xforce exhaust and a grw3884r turbo with 500rwkw. Drives like a champ and faster than any NA V8 around.

BadgeXR6 Turbo
TransmissionManual
Date PurchasedJan 2014

One of the best sedans ever made.

Silky smooth 6 speed transmission, very quiet with virtually no road noise, responsive motor, well built suspension, abs and tractiion control work very well.

I have been in many situations where other drivers have pulled out directly in front of me, nearly side swiping me when they have changed lanes without looking etc, and this car has gotten me out of those dangerous situations without a single scratch.

It is good to hear that Ford's Australian engineering team is still going even though the factory is now closed down, here is hoping that they bring out a new falcon sedan soon.

Date PurchasedJan 2016

She clocked over 1 million kms and never missed a bet

To the beach to Vic and back to WA paper runs taxi she was the best flagon ever. to school to work camping to fishing , crabbing . 3 kid 2 dogs 3 boogie boards 8 flippers 2 eskys, 2 water contains blankets, umbrella , cups , plates, hats sunscreen, dog water , dog ball ,dogs towels, wine ,salad,thongs 4 pairs. dog bowels, tennis balls and a car full of sand and laughter. I miss it so much.

BodyWagon
Engine Size5.4
Date PurchasedJun 1998

automatic 1998 AU falcon low revs when in gear

when putting the car into drive or reverse the revs drop rapidly including when sometimes when stopping it also drops revs but it fine when driving at speed limits. i have checked the spark plugs and have changed the spark plug leads it still occurs, how would this be fixed and what causes it?

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Wonderful car and so underated

I've owned my G6E for eight years now and have driven it over a variety of roads. No dust sealing problems and no rattles or squeaks. Every electronic item on it still works. Have used the car for local round town work and also interstate trips and it handles it all with finesse. Round town fuel usage is 9.5L/100km and country driving fuel usage is 7.0L/100km. Only consumables have been replaced like tyres and battery. The car is serviced by a local independent mechanic. The dealer I bought the car from has now gone out of business. I suppose one day I'll have to part with it but heaven knows what I'll replace it with. Nothing out there seems to be as good an all rounder as my G6E.

Date PurchasedAug 2009

Best Ford I have ever driven.

Bought new Oct 2016. Standard xr6 heavy duty tow bar. Can tow caravan with ease. Great performance and trouble free. 38,000 klms done and one warranty claim for washer motor. Can't blame Ford. The company that supplied them can take that one. Great car . Reliable love it. Great dealership. One of the rare ones that know how to treat a customer. This last of the falcon is a true Aussie and yes I do know where the auto gearbox is made. The engine is a ripper and suits my needs. Service is cheap compared to a four wheel drive . You don't leave the dealership with your hands around your ankles. Fuel consumption is very good and with my driving I get between 8.5 to 10.5. My wife averages about 8.5..If someone considers one as a used purchase I reckon you will have a smile on your dial these things are that good even in base spec. Test drive one and you will see what I mean.

Date PurchasedOct 2016

Great car, with a few little issues.

My 2005 BA MKII is a great car, is dual fuel and has power when needed.

Has just over 225,000km and still strong .
Automatic shifts excellent.

Issues:
The rear left brake hose failed, easy fix.
Water pump gasket started to leak.
Slight misfire. Does not affect the performance.
And that's all I can think of.

All and all, a great car definitely recommend this vehicle, despite what others say. Extremly reliable.

BadgeClassic XT
Date PurchasedJan 2017

why are my rear brake lights flashing when my headlights are on ford au fairlane

rear brake lights flashing when heag lights ar on

What will be the problem in the morning it will drive good for abit when I get to a stop sign or lights it will putt like it's running out of petrol if I don't keep the revs up it will cut out. Then when I try to start it again Il put it in drive or reverse it will just cut out ??

Ford Falcon EL (1996-1998)Ford Falcon FG (2008-2014)Ford Falcon FG X (2014-2016)Ford Falcon BF (2005-2010)Ford Falcon AU (1998-2002)Ford Falcon BA (2002-2005)
CategoryWagons, Cars and SedansCars and SedansCars and SedansWagons, Cars and SedansWagons, Cars and SedansWagons, Cars and Sedans
Starting Price $29,950$39,990$35,900$46,405$30,690$50,130
TransmissionAutomaticAutomatic and ManualAutomaticAutomatic and ManualAutomatic and ManualAutomatic and Manual
Drive TypeRear Wheel Drive (RWD)Rear Wheel Drive (RWD)Rear Wheel Drive (RWD)Rear Wheel Drive (RWD)Rear Wheel Drive (RWD)Rear Wheel Drive (RWD)
Fuel TypePetrolLPG and PetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrol
Wheels15" Alloy17" Alloy16" Alloy17" Alloy15" Steel17" Alloy
ANCAP Safety Rating4 Stars5 Stars4 Stars
Doors444444
Seats555555
Fuel Consumption7.4 L/100km14.9 L/100km9 L/100km12.9 L/100km7.4 L/100km9 L/100km
Fuel Tank Capacity 68 L93 L68 L68 L68 L68 L
Engine6 Cylinder 2L6 Cylinder 4L6 Cylinder 4L6 Cylinder 4L6 Cylinder 4L8 Cylinder 5.4L
Max Power157kW @ 4900rpm156kW @ 4750rpm195kW @ 6000rpm245kW @ 5250rpm157kW @ 4900rpm260kW @ 5250rpm
Max Torque357Nm @ 3000rpm371Nm @ 3750rpm353Nm @ 5500rpm480Nm @ 2000-4500rpm357Nm @ 4900rpm500Nm @ 4250rpm
Country of ManufactureAustraliaAustraliaAustraliaAustraliaAustraliaAustralia
Manufacturer Warranty3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)
Release dateJan 1996Jan 2008Jan 2014Jan 2005Jan 1998Jan 2002