Love, love, love this car.

I absolutely adore this car. It's a 1998 gLi EL. Bought him used at 198,000Ks. Have run him up to 207,000Ks over the last three years. He has been regularly serviced and I've never had a problem with him (though these days I'm wondering if he was even serviced properly, given my recent mistrust of the mechanics I used). Anyway. After a service in Jan 2016, it seemed like maybe the mechanics were negligent as I ended up with no coolant and a cracked radiator, which lead to a leaking water pump. All those issues are fixed ($680 later) and the car still drives like a dream. The cooling system (radiator, water pump, etc) is even more efficient than before with an aluminium radiator replacing the stock copper one. Interior is dated these days but is easy to use and functional and I'm sure looked fine in its release period/year.

Has a tow bar unfortunately and was warned that there's a bit of rust underneath, likely caused by the car being used near the ocean (that was where the previous owner had him), but I'll get that fixed when I need to. The power for such an old car is absolutely amazing. I'm a sensible driver but it's nice to know that when I need to gun it, that gorgeous engine will get me where I need to be in such a short space of time. Leaves most of the cars around me in the dust (I only zoom up to the speed limit - like I said, sensible driver :P ) I've only ever put Unleaded in the car and I've never had an issue with it. Handling is smooth, turning radius is good, he's a surprisingly LONG car so he doesn't fit completely into all parking spaces but that doesn't bother me at all (It just makes me slightly nervous about other careless drivers who might hit him). Seats are comfortable and adjustable, and the suspension is beautifully smooth. I was recently in a 50th Anniversary Holden Astra loaner car whilst my Falcon was getting fixed (the water pump - previously explained problem) and that car was really no comparison in every area.

The suspension was tight and unforgiving, the seats weren't as plush, and it felt very restrictive (though could be because it's a hatchback and naturally those cars are smaller than full-sized sedans). Not knocking the Astra - I just much, much prefer my Falcon. If I could find another 1998 with under 100Ks and no rust, I'd be buying it quick smart. Currently saving up for an XR6, or just another, newer Falcon in general. The newer, the less kilometres (usually), and the less chance for rust. Reliability is practically 100% if you can find trustworthy mechanics who give honest feedback and do proper services, and cost of upkeep is actually not that bad (again depending on the mechanic). Fuel consumption is surprisingly low, and for the most part depends on how you drive it. As stated before, I'm a sensible driver so I can easily run $50 worth of petrol over two weeks driving at least 7K every day. Very, super impressed with my 1998 EL. I hope to keep him for a very long time. :)

BadgeGLi
Engine Size4.0L

Best car ever!!!

What a fantastic car. Straight off the bat I am a life long Holden fan and also own a V6 VE Commodore dual fuel ute and a 2005 CV8 Monaro but this is the most comfortable car ever. We were looking for car to tow our caravan as the Holden utes (as we later found out) are only rated to tow 1600Kg and the Falcon suited the job requirements best and here's why..
We wanted a car's ride and handling when not towing so a dual cab was out. We didn't want a 4WD platform either so our choices were limited to Commodore or Falcon as none of the Japanese or Euro cars had the towing capacity required. LPG was a priority as well, but the LPG Holden only has 325N/m of torque where as the LPG Falcon has 410N/m a difference in torque which I really notice with the van on the back. The Holden V6 sounds much more thrashy compared to the smooth straight 6 in the Falcon. We purchased an XR6 Falcon brand new in Canberra with floor mats, mud flaps and HD tow bar for $36,000 drive away. Bargain!!! We could have saved another $2000 and had leather seats if we went to Melbourne but that's another story.
I find it hard to believe that these cars are not selling and Ford and Holden are closing down. I guess that eventually we will be forced into some kind of SUV as well. Pity.
Pros:
I really like the handling. Sticks like glue to the road. Would out handle the Monaro I think.
Steering is light and direct.
Ride is beautifully smooth and supple.
It's very quiet inside.
Engine is smooth, quiet and has plenty of pulling power.
Transmission is smooth and decisive.
LPG option.
Large perfectly flat boot floor due to LPG tank underneath.
Black roof lining looks good.
Plenty of leg room. I'm 2 meters tall.
Seats are comfortable on long trips.
Love the front end styling and LED DRL's
Doors will allow decent ratcheting style towing mirrors to be fitted. Commodore won't.
Cons:
No dual fuel option. Just petrol or LPG. Can cause range anxiety.
No spare wheel, just a pump and sealant. Not good enough in rural Australia. It won't fix a blow out.
Some kind of spare in the boot on a mount should be optional! I carry a full size spare, etc. but can't fix it down.
Drink bottle holders in the doors are pathetic. I can't find a bottle that will fit. Take a look at VE/ VF Commodore.
No GPS as standard. Standard on the 2016 XR6 models though.
When using the sports shift mode the transmission handle feel backwards. That's my opinion anyway.
Except for the spare wheel issue, these are only minor problems for a car I would recommend to anyone.
It's a world quality vehicle at a bargain price.

BadgeXR6 EcoLPi
Engine Size4.0L

A good solid car with some minor irritations

I'd always liked the look and package that the FG XR6 offers, and was lucky to buy a near mint 2008 XR6 about 6 months ago with 130,000 km on the clock. The previous owner was a mature-aged lady CEO and it had obviously been serviced and garaged. It was as stock as a rock, with no factory options above the already good XR6 list of standard goodies. I could afford it as it was a very early Mk 1, and it had the less desirable 5 speed auto instead of the ZF 6 speed. (BTW, I've read a lot on how much better the 6-speeder is, but from my experience, the 5-speed is fine. Luckily for me, the previous owner had fitted a reconditioned exchange box about a year before I bought the car).

I wanted a good, solid full-sized sedan with a bit of sporting presence, but didn't need the uber-performance of a Turbo model. My wife wasn't too sure about the turquoise "Breeze" paint job, but at least it's not hard to find in the car park!

First, for the good points
It has proved to be solid, reliable and enjoyable to drive, and great for trips. It's the first auto I've owned and the 5-speed does all I ask of it. It changes very smoothly. (I have no doubt that the 6-speed is better on paper and on the road, but those who have called the 5-speed "rubbish" are not being fair, IMO.) Despite Ford's claims that this transmission is "sealed for life", every mechanic has told me that it should have its fluid changed at intervals. (BTW, Nulon now makes an excellent new generation all-rounder fluid that can be used instead of the expensive Mercon V specified by Ford.)

The more I drive the car, the more I like it. Whenever I drive it, I feel like I'm driving something a bit special. I've outlived my boy-racer days, and appreciate the car's quietness and economy when driven smoothly. On a long trip at a steady pace on cruise control, it's easy to get 9.1L/100 km or better. On a return trip from Sydney to Bowral, admittedly with light traffic on the freeway, I got 8.4 l/100 which is a tad better than 33 mpg in the old money. Not bad for a four-litre 200 kilowatt engine pushing a big sedan. On a run from Como to Albion Park (about 80 km), I even got 8.0 l/100km. All I'm saying is that if you go easy on the loud pedal and drive smoothly, it will reward you with great economy for a large car.

The steering has great road feel, similar to some Mercs I've driven, although it's a tad heavier than most power steering systems I've used. It's a compromise as the steering effort is non-adjustable as in the latest hi-tech cars. It's a bit too heavy at low speeds but the positive trade off is that it gives tons of feel at speed. You'll certainly know if your tyres need pumping up because the steering gets quite heavy if they are under-inflated. I have around 35 p.s.i. all round, and it makes a big difference to the roadholding as well as reduced steering effort.

The engine feels very strong and smooth and with its Barra DOHC head, is worlds away from the pushrod 170 cubic inch donk in my late dad's XP Falcon. Power delivery is smooth and consistent, and if you need to give it the whip, it kicks down, responds quickly and keeps revving. The Barra 4.0 litre enjoys a reputation for being almost bullet-proof. With regular servicing and good oil, I can't see why car shouldn't be just as good well after 200,000+ km.

In fact, the whole car feels very solidly built, with no rattles or bits falling off. It's a great package, with just the right blend of equipment and sportiness, without being too "boy-racer", depending on the colour of course! (Some Ford XR colours can be pretty brash.) The performance is effortless, and you seldom have to give the throttle a shove. In hilly or twisty terrain, selecting "Performance Mode" means that 5th gear is not selected, and it stays in lower gears longer. I seldom feel the need to select gears manually via the sport shift function.

The handling seems quite neutral, and the standard Dunlop Sports hang on well in the corners without any squealing or drama. At sane speeds, it corners like it's on rails.The XR6 suspension is a bit firmer than other models, but still gives a comfortable ride. It points well with little body roll, having anti-sway bars front and rear. The independent rear end also combats skittishness on uneven surfaces. In short, very competent handling.

The standard brakes feel good and inspire confidence, although they may not please those who want to drive at ten-tenths down a twisting mountain road. (The Turbo has upgraded brakes as standard.) I've recently replaced the stock rotors with DBA T2 Street Series slotted rotors front and rear. They, together with Brembo pads, have made a significant improvement on braking, with better feel and bite. I ditched the so-called brake "dust shields" while I was at it as they do little apart from restricting brake cooling.

The quality of finish and materials is also good. I have black cloth trim on seats and doors, and despite being seven years old, still look new. Critics may say that the interior betrays its family car heritage but at least there's no try-hard attempt to look like a race car: you know, fake carbon fibre and faux turned metal. It is what it is, a sporty sedan, functional but quietly impressive, if a little dated considering it first saw light of day in mid-2008. The sports type pedals are a nice touch.

My sound system is the stock four-speaker set up, not the optional premium package. Admittedly, I'm no audiophile, but I find the radio/CD stacker set up and reception more than adequate. The megadecibel boom-tish brigade might be disappointed. Being an early and stock XR6, I have the monochrome display panel with no iPhone USB input (only a single round 3.5mm jack inlet for phone/MP3 etc.), let alone inbuilt Bluetooth or GPS. But I can live with that considering the price I paid. If I need satvav, I whip out my Tom-Tom from the console.

The stock climate control air conditioning is adequate rather than brilliant. If you're the type who expects your interior to feel like an icebox instantly even in a heat wave, you might be disappointed. However, for most situations, I find it gets the job done. It heats nicely and quickly in cold weather. The one-touch windscreen demist function is quick and effective, and easy to use. No more mucking about with fan speeds and an air direction dial.

The front seats are very comfortable and hold you snugly in place when cornering. (Only the driver's seat has electric adjustment.) The back seat is comfy too, and has a generously-sized fold down central armrest. I like the 60/40 split fold rear seats. So much more practical than the pathetic "ski hatch" in many cars.

The headlights are excellent and give very good coverage and penetration at night. The standard XR6 fog lights are the icing on the cake. If you want to upgrade to LED / DRL headlights, there are plenty of aftermarket upgrade headlights on the market for around $400. The standard LED brake lights in the rear spoiler are both practical and stylish. The standard electronic stability control and ABS / Brake Assist brakes are a big plus too.

There is a ton of space in the boot, with no space-robbing intrusions, and access to the spare wheel is dead easy. The console storage is deep and practical.

The driver's controls are generally well positioned and there is a proper lever-type handbrake. The Command Module lets you set up the car's functions and displays as you prefer, such as brightness of instruments and audio balance.There are lots of practical warning chimes and dash texts, such as someone not having their seat belt on, not engaging Park after turning off the ignition or having the hand brake partially on when underway. The horn will sound a beep if you inadvertently try to lock it with the boot or a door open. Helpful but never annoying.

Now, for the minor but often annoying traits:
I use glasses to read, and find the small and over-styled, more-show-than-go blue XR6 "sports" instruments very hard to read in the daytime and only a bit easier at night. Form has triumphed over function here. To me, "sports instruments" should be quick and easy to read, not just look sporty. Thank God for the optional digital speed read-out setting! As I keep it in auto mode nearly all the time, thankfully I don't have to rely on the tacho with its little numbers. This was never a problem on my TS and TF Magnas, with their classic large numeral, black on white cockpit type instruments that were just so easy to read. Also, the small fuel gauge on my FG is tucked into a dark corner that I find almost impossible to read in daylight. The temperature gauge is better, although it could also be a bit bigger. (Incidentally, I was surprised that the fuel gauge returns to zero when the ignition is turned off instead of staying on the present tank level as nearly all cars do these days.) However, if you have 20/20 vision, this readability issue would not be an issue.

Some of the silver dash trim can cause glare in very sunny weather. At times, I've found myself putting a cloth over it so it doesn't dazzle me, even with sunglasses on. However, most of the time, it's no problem.

The driving position takes some getting used to. So many road testers have said the same thing, namely that the the seat can't be adjusted low enough and the steering wheel can't be adjusted high enough. It's true, and it's odd how that can be designed into such a large car. The steering wheel itself is great and adjusts for both up/down and in/out but the FG Falcon is definitely not the sort of car you jump into and feel at home instantly. (No kidding, when I first sat in my car at the dealer's, I thought I couldn't fit into it at all, which gobsmacked me for such a large car.) All I can say is this: if you're over average height and/or size, don't panic if at first it appears you can't fit comfortably behind the wheel. Be patient and be prepared to spend time experimenting with the electric and manual seat settings, and co-ordinate that with the steering wheel settings to find the best driving position. (I have the seat on maximum down and the wheel on maximum up.) A lot of road testers have mentioned the "compromised" driving position and I can see why. It takes a lot of trial and error to find the sweet spot, in my experience. Even then, I find it more difficult getting into and out of my Falcon than many other cars. (Never had to think about this in my Magna.) However, if you're more of a small to medium build, I can't see a problem. If you are very short, the seat can be adjusted pretty high. The bottom line is that most people will find that getting in and out of the car will be a minor hassle, but once you're in, the driving position is okay even if it's not as good as a last generation Commodore.

I like the turn and let go ignition start. You don't have to keep the key engaged to crank and start the car. Once the starter motor is engaged, you let go the key and the engine starts itself automatically. However, you have to put in the key by feel because it goes in sideways out of sight parallel to the dash. Even now, I sometimes have to bend my head down down and peek to make sure the key blade is going in squarely. (Wouldn't like to be chased my zombies in case they smashed the window before I managed to get the key in the ignition!) On the positive side, the flip keys are attractive and practical. Incidentally, if you need spare keys supplied, cut and programmed but are unwilling to pay the rip-off price asked by dealers and some locksmiths, look on eBay for Amalgamated Locksmiths in Brisbane. Just like OEM without the heart attack inducing price.

The rearward vision is a bit restrictive and at times reversing can make me feel more anxious than I have been in other large sedans. A bit cocoon like, even for a four-door sedan. I don't have the rear parking beeper, but would welcome one. The passenger seat and surprisingly thick B-pillars are quite restrictive when looking for traffic coming at you from the left too. (Not a problem in my TF Magna.) I don't know how taxi drivers manage in cut-and-thrust city traffic, especially with a front seat passenger. If I'm driving alone,and I remember, I adjust the passenger seat back so it aligns with the B pillar so it reduces the blind spot. I only hope there is some compensation for those thick B-pillars like improved survivability from a side impact or roll-over.

I wish the remote boot release unlocked and released the boot lid (like my TF Magna does) without also having to press the release button above the number plate. Incidentally, the boot lid in my car was very heavy when lifting, and fell with a loud crash if you weren't careful when closing. It was a real pain, until someone pointed out that the struts needed replacing. I replaced them recently with some aftermarkets struts from eBay (only $30 a pair) and now the boot lifts and closes easily. OEM struts are at least $110 a pair. There are two types for the FG: with and without a spoiler. The with-spoiler model has more gas pressure to cope with the extra weight.

In all other cars I have driven, when selecting the windscreen washer function, the screen is washed BEFORE the wipers go into action, preventing the glass from being scratched by road grit. On the FG, the wiper blades go into action BEFORE the washers do their bit. Not good if there is sand and grit on the windscreen. (Incidentally, I bought a pair of frameless wiper arms from a local eBay seller for around $22. Not only do they look great, but wipe cleanly with no noise via wind or friction. The flexible rubber arm under even tension means that the rubber wiper has 100% contact with the screen: IMO much better than the standard steel frame jobs, and only take a minute to fit.)

Normally, the car is very quiet. The Ford engineers decided to go with a standard single outlet exhaust system, which means that power is felt, rather than heard. So don't expect an exciting exhaust note like a Charger R/T E38 or E49 Six Pack! There is some wind noise from the driver's door. Not a big deal, but it should be as quiet as the other side. I did notice a slight split in the top door seal and hopefully some black silicon will do the trick. Rough road surfaces create a surprisingly high level of road rumble/roar, but disappears once you hit smooth tarmac. All the same, I wouldn't want to drive my XR6 a long distance on gravel or rough surfaced roads unless I had ear muffs! It may be the standard Dunlop tyres, but I doubt it. Maybe the XR6 has less sound deadening than the G6 models. Some penny-pinching perhaps from the NVH budget?

The driver's controls on the central command module and around the instrument panel seem a bit confusing at first, but with the help of the Owner's Handbook, they don't take a long time to work out. I wouldn't call them intuitive, that's for sure. Make sure your car comes with the Owner's Handbook. Without it, you'll be playing a long game of trial and error. Incidentally, it's not the most clearly written or well-set out handbook I've ever used. At times more opaque than transparent. The index can be unhelpful, forcing you to play detective to find what you want, such as how to adjust the clock. Also, some steps are not mentioned in various processes, forcing you to find out by trial and error.

Glove box door warping seems common in FG Falcons. The top corners come proud of the surrounds over time. I bought a second-hand replacement lid but it wasn't a lot better than the original. Not a big deal, but looks a little unsightly.

Changing a brake, blinker or reverse bulb is a pain. You have to take out the entire tail light assembly to do that. It's not a big job once you've done it once or twice, but a bit unnecessary IMO. Also, don't believe the handbook about changing headlight bulbs. It's not the quick, easy and straightforward procedure it leads you to believe. My mechanic ended up having to take out the air filter box and battery to gain access behind the bulbs. (There are some handy DIY tutorials on Youtube.) Even then, there was little room to work and refitting the flimsy and fiddly retaining clips blind proved next to impossible, even with dentist's mirrors. So off came the plastic front bumper so he could take out the headlight assemblies to do a proper job on his bench. And this in a "big" car! Poor design, Henry! I couldn't imagine Mitsubishi or Toyota making a routine procedure like this such a Chinese puzzle. You shouldn't have to dismantle the front end body panels to fit new headlight bulbs!

The standard car has that pathetic get-you-home spare with an 80 km/h max rating. I bought a full-size matching Ford 17" alloy and tyre on Ebay for only $70, and a factory rubberised boot lining designed for a full-sized spare. It cuts down slightly on boot space by raising the spare tyre recess, but there's so much practical bootspace, that it's a minor trade-off. And, BTW, the spare tyre is very easy to get at and take out. Good design there, Henry.

SUMMARY
Despite those annoyances, I really like driving my FG XR6. It is a great touring car with impressive grip and has presence on the road and has all the standard fruit I could wish for. (It's all about the pleasure of driving, and isn't hankering after all the latest and "must have" gadgets an exercise in tail-chasing anyway?) It eats the miles with ease and has all the acceleration I want. It's an excellent package even in stock standard no options form. (Later marks have more, such as standard Bluetooth, iPod connectivity and sat-nav.)

I still think a manual would be more engaging to drive despite what the "you'll never want to go back to a manual" brigade tells me. Motoring journos say that the automatics are quicker than manuals over the standing quarter, but so what? Isn't it all about the enjoyment of driving and feeling part of the machine? Do you always want to take the freeway because it's faster rather than a good windy country road? However, manual XR6s are relatively hard to find, in any condition, and some say that although the manual 6-speed gearbox is robust, it's a bit truck-like. Maybe the auto is the best choice.

Some have called the styling "conservative". I call it simple, sharp and elegant, and sporty without looking overly aggressive. I really like its lines, especially the scallop near the sill line, the tail-lights, and the front headlights and grill. In white, grey or silver, it's a real Q-ship, if you prefer to be more discreet. I agree that it doesn't look different enough from the earlier BA/BF models, but it still looks good: evolutionary rather than revolutionary. I can understand why some people prefer the VE Commodores but to my eyes, it looks too blokey, with those exaggerated wheel flares looking like it's overdosed on steroids. And the back and front still look to me like they've been designed by two different committees. IMO, the Falcon's styling is more integrated and timeless. (Incidentally, I'm not a one-eyed Ford fan; I've owned and enjoyed driving many different makes of cars, including Holden.)

Of course, I'm lucky that I found a car that had been owned and looked after by just one mature, careful driver. (No tow bar either, another good sign.) If anyone asked me whether an FG XR6 is a good buy, I'd definitely say yes, as long as you know the history of the car and you can put up with those little annoyances described above. You'll be getting a safe, solid and powerful touring car that handles extremely well. With sane driving, it delivers quite surprising fuel economy for an engine that generates 200 kilowatts on 98 premium fuel. Parts are abundant (both genuine and aftermarket) and reasonably priced and the conventional layout means it isn't as difficult to work on as many FWD models. It would make a great family car, or a very competent sports tourer for a driver who wants practicality, room and ease of service. The Barra in-line six is bullet-proof, assuming it receives regular servicing.

Sure, by now, the FG and even the last hurrah FG-X is showing its age and is not as cutting edge as the newest designs. To be honest, if I had a lazy $40-50 thousand, there would be no way I'd buy a brand new FG-X XR6 when there are so many fresher designs to choose from, like a VF SS Commodore Redline or even Kia Stinger. Only if I were a rusted-on Ford fanatic. However, IMO, that doesn't detract from the fact that the FG, especially in XR6 form, is still a great second-hand buy option: it's got character, form and function and value, and a reminder of the great heritage behind the now-extinct Australian designed and built car.

Even if you don't want or can't afford an FG XR6 Turbo, a standard XR6 won't disappoint, especially if it's a later mark with the ZF 6-speed auto and extra fruit like Bluetooth, colour screen and Satvav. You see a lot of well-cared for FG XR6s being driven sanely by men and sometimes women "of a certain age", and IMO, these non-thrashed, unmodified TLC examples would be the best value ones to get.

Date PurchasedSep 2015

Great

my xr6 is fast, fuel efficient but a pain in the bum the icc is giving me grief at the moment which I'm not happy about and I've had to replace all the suspension on it has it was all just about stuffed and had to replace a few other things

Just keeps going,800,000km!n

Series two AU Falcon 16 years old now and put 800,000km on original six cylinder motor and auto transmission. Still drives and rides quietly, comfortably and economically. Only problem is the silver paint on roof and bonnet is starting to peel from a crash repairer who didn't do a good job to last for many more driving years. Afraid to replace or update it soon, I just love it though others hate the shape of an AU.

BadgeForte
Engine Size4litre

don't ever buy this car lemon.

This is the worst car I have ever owned. Constant problems from day 1. I will never own a ford again after this car. Only owned the car for 1year and spent over $3000 on just maintaining it. Front door lock actuator went so car couldn't lock, radiator needed replacing, diff mount cracked, new ball joints and boots, some thing with the engine that two different mechanics had to do. All new ford bolts and gaskets for engine. If u want a lemon buy a ford. Even Henry Ford was quoted saying he didn't get rich off selling cars he got rich off selling parts for the cars. So what does that say. Made to break.

TransmissionAutomatic

Towed our caravan almost 10,000kms!

Our car never let us down on our caravan trip. Still own the car and can't bring ourselves to sell it, if we did the next would be an XR6. Fuel consumption was huge though but still saved a lot of money versus purchasing a 4wd. Our van was just under 2,000kg. Should have gotten the wagon which has the leaf springs so the rear end didn't sag so much.

BadgeFutura
Engine Size4.0L V6

Awesome car!!

The Mark I is very similar to the Mark II the only let down is the stereo in the Mark I. The Mark II is definitely worth the extra money for the stereo system and reverse camera. Around town is about 12l/100km with a heavy foot and on long trips on highways can get it down to low 7s.

Engine Size4.0l

Great car for carrying stuff

I bought a 2004 BA wagon and had it for 9 months then stupidly sold it too soon. It had plenty of power from the twin cam barra motor if a bit thirsty around town. On long trips the cruise control is fantastic! It was a bit hard to see when reversing and the front seat had a sag to the right. The electric window master switch needed replacing and 2 door locks failed. If you keep the fluids topped up and use good oil and 98 petrol it won't let you down. Paint faded on the front bumper also the clearance was a problem for putting the front up on ramps (had to make extensions).
Don't take it off road as you will get bogged! Otherwise I would get another one if I had lots of stuff to haul around.

BodyWagon
BadgeSR XT

Crusiey class

Purchased a second hand G6 with standard 4.0l six. Great car to drive with instant grunt, enormous torque and does everything well and surprising economy, used 7.4l/100km on 600km round trip to Busselton. Surprisingly potent sound system and sufficiently quiet to enjoy it.
Only has the 5 speed auto but this still the best auto i have ever had.
Ours is navy blue- very sexy machine.

BadgeG6

The ultimate sleeper

My 2013 G6E Turbo is a now a bit over 2 years old and has done 45,000kms, about half country and half city. I have owned Falcons/Fairlanes for 35 years (as well as other cars at the same time). Now is about the time when build quality, the bits you can't see in the showroom, begins to become apparent. But the car is still virtually indistinguishable from new, the maroon paintwork still looks the same as when it left the showroom as does the interior. Not a single thing has gone wrong with it, not a squeak not a rattle, nothing.

What do I like best about the car? Same as everyone else; the engine. Who'd a thought that the coarse but reliable 250/6 that has powered Falcons since the 1960s should become one of the world's best engines. Power all over the rev range, no perceptable turbo lag and able to propel a well appointed four door saloon to 100 km/h in 5.1 seconds, there is a lot to like. I love the way you can just bomb along in the commuter traffic with the faint whine of the turbo in the background whispering I'm here if you need me. Other things I like about the car, the Bishop steering. You can place the car to the millimetre, just kissing the edge of a roundabout if you're punting. I also like the suspension. Ford have done a great job especially at the back. I am sure most people would be amazed how well the car handles at the limit, it can certainly generate some pretty amazing g forces. Long gone are the luxo barge handling of the old x series Falcons. With their engines, accurate steering and taut, well set up suspension there aren't a lot of production line four door cars that would go around G6ETs when pushed (this does not include M series Beemers, AMGs, HSVs and the like).

What don't I like about it? Its a dumb car in the sense that it doesn't have the electonics of the Calais Vs. I especially miss the brilliant Heads Up Display of the Holden. The other thing I don't like is the tyre roar from the 19s. In a car that is as fast as this I know you need them but they sure are noisy especially when cold.

Having said that, I still love this car. Still beautiful to look at, still looking new and still a lot of fun to drive and it seems odd to say it but the car seems to love being punted.

BadgeG6E Turbo
TransmissionAutomatic

I loose my breath, each and everytime.

I own a FORD AU FAIRMONT, 2000 series 2. DUEL FUEL

Now as an 18 Year-old female.

This would be the best car I could possibly own. It's done 300,000ks now and taken me half way around Australia and still drives like a beaut. You can thrash the living hell out of it and it won't even hesitate to go further. I've owned it for nearly 4 years and it's literally been my dream car. Yes it's an AU and they aren't much pleasing for ''looks'' but one drive will change all of that. To me this car is a dream come true. It's comfy, lovely wooden interior, and so much room!

It's taken me to every life changing event a Teenager would have to go through and everywhere I've needed to go and it's been the same outstanding performance every time. It's been there without a drama. This car has never had a problem and from looking at the service book, it still hasn't.

Now to be harmful, this car hasn't had a service for 4 years either. Except the maintenance I do myself, (OIL, COOLANT, FILTERS etc).

It's a car that I simply can't kill. I've taken care of it, as it's definitely taken care of me. And as they say, best mates die together.

Badge0

this car is amazing!

I am a person who gets bored with cars so i buy and sell quite frequently, one of my favorites which i dont have not was the BA XR6, this car is amazing to drive, this one is a 4 speed sports auto, the car may be a bit heavy on fuel ibut my heavy foot doesnt help that, you wouldnt buy an xr6 for fuel efficiency! this car is a dream to drive, it has the power when you need to overtake people, it looks sexy, and the leather interior makes it so much better, there is so much room, you can fit 5 adults and have plenty of room! being a bigger bloke i had heaps of room when sitting in the car, lots of head room (being tall makes it hard to sit in some cars)the turning circle is a bit of a shocker but you get used to it! the only issues this car has had is the brakes, it went through a hell of alot break fluid in a short time frame but that problem got fixed by a family mechanic!
i dont have the car now cos ive sold it on but i do miss it! its so smooth, it goes round corners really nice!
i have no negatives about this car!

love this car

I purchased my new BF Mk 11 eurosport in 2007, it is the best falcon so far, (this is now the 6th falcon , XY,XB,XC,XF,XD,AU), build quality is quite good no squeaks or rattles, only replaced tyres, brakes, and a couple of minor things. Great on fuel averages less than 10 ltrs per hundred ks around town, on a recent rush trip into the wheatbelt of WA, she averaged 8.2ltrs per 100ks, sitting on the limit with cruise, and 1200kms straight through, the mighty 4 litre six just loping along happily.
I find the falcon very comfortable, quite and a pleasure to drive, ok sometimes a little big to park, but try it with a landcruiser or similar that people drive, and keeping the fuel companies in business.
It will be a sad day when the last of the falcon's roll off the line

BadgeES
Engine Size4.0 litre

Good Ol Falcon

I've considered trading the Falcon many times. But I live in a country town and all my miles are cruising at 110kph - 9l/100km. I have a busted backbone, but shes superbly comfortable - even with bloody harsh 18" tyres. Fast?.. hell yeh with the 250hp leaving most for dead and overtaking a pleasure. Tippy auto gear-shift is especially good at holding cruise control speeds on steep downhill descents. And uphill also. I love the cruise control on the steering wheel.. LOVE!.. This is a big country.. She's typically Ford.. low maintenance and supreme reliability.
My car has a noisy IRS diff. It became WAY more noticable when shifting from 16" rims to 18". So i'm gonna drop the rear cradle. This decision came about after talking to a taxi driver who's done it - "leave the front arms attached and swing it down rather than remove it". A recon diff is $450 on eBay. And this sums up a BA Falcon. Everyone knows how to fix it - spares are 10c each. The taxi driver told me my car will be perfect until 600,000km at least as long as I do the servicing. That's after i'm dead. I was afraid of the VVT, but in the end it's just an oil pump so keep changing oil properly.
It pulls my trailer, caravan and boat with no effort. It's not too fond of corrugated roads, but tolerates them. Letting down the tyres gets you out of sand even without an LSD.

While many go to SUV options, I note that most are piezo electric direct injection. Those things are stuffed at 100,000km and cost $1000 each. The BA Falcon uses indirect fuel injection that last as long as the vehicle.

If I ever get bored with 250hp, I can chip or turbo. Or bolt in a 260kw (350hp) V8. But really why would I? The BA Falcon is the car you own until you die. The cheapest TKO ( total cost of ownership ) of them all. And with 18" low profile tyres she gets as loose as a [censored word removed] at speed in the Adelaide Hills.

Get one.

BadgeXT

Disappointed!

let me begin by saying I love this car. I traded it in for my ba falcon which I was unsure about because I loved driving that too - but was looking to have a later model so I won't have car problems....and initially was super impressed with the handling, braking and improvement in fuel economy. However when the car was 3 years old I had this problem with the ABS brakes. After talking to the super unhelpful dealership I ended up with an independent mechanic who told me the ABS braking system would need to be replaced. This would be $6000 for a new system and furthermore he also told me that several of the other car manufacturers who had used this ABS system had recalled it as they knew it was creating problems.... Whether or not that is true I couldn't confirm but that certainly added some fuel to my anger. Eventually the mechanic managed to find me a secondhand system (phew) which was considerably cheaper but still $2000 and fixed it. One year down the track and now I'm having problems with the immobilisation system.... Much as I love this car it has certainly put me off ever buying a ford again. Is it just me or did I get a dog?

Great Car

Love my falcons I have a Ba gtp a Ba Turbo and have had our Bf XR6 for 8 years. Had 11000 on it when I bought it its now done 225000. Great car only issues starter motor died, alternator died warped rotors and did the pump seal in the tranny. Overall this has been a great car suspension wise she is starting to get a few squeaks but it still drives awesome the B series was a beautiful shape just thinking of trading this in for a 50th anniversary FG

TransmissionAutomatic

BF XR6, ZF Trans. Much better than I could have imagined.

After owning Subaru's for years I finally got one that everyone warns about, so I replaced it with an XR6 because they are reasonably cheap second hand and I just wanted an appliance to clock up lots of open road KM,

My expectations were pretty low, but I can honestly say this is the best car I have owned.

Purchased in 2011 with 140,000km on the clock, now has 240,000km and still going well.

The ZF transmission makes the car what it is really, very intelligent smooth transmission. The suspension holds the road better than my old 2005 GT legacy.

Get around 8.5-10 km/l open road - although I do have a heavy foot. Around 11km/l around town.
Typically get around 620KM tank.

Maintenance costs are low, service every 15,000KM (versus Turbo Subaru 8000).

Faults:
Rotors needed replacing following a social race day on a race track. No surprise there.
Ball joints, again probably related to treatment.
Wires in headlight switch breaking, easy fix but annoying.
Bushes in rear suspension, Cost around $1200 to fix. Common fault apparently.
Catalytic converter not meeting efficiency, would have cost $2500 new but got one from wreckers for $200

Pros:
Surprising fuel economy for a large car
Great size for a family, get more in the boot than the old station wagon stacked to the roof.
Handling.
Probably the best transmission I have ever used.

Negatives:
Driver seat position too high.
No isofix for the kids seats.
No rear window wiper
No bluetooth and can't easily replace stereo.

Considering the mileage and lack of respect I have given, it has been a very good and reliable car.

Perfect Car For Business & Pleasure

I have only had my new FG X XR6 Turbo Falcon with a Manual box in silver for 1 month and done approximately 1500 km, and to date have not experienced a single problem (only time will tell) not even a rattle or a squeak. Having previously owned 9 Commodores many of which I purchased new and all of which were pretty good cars and some of them excellent (particularly VT Commodore Olympic, VZ SV6 & VE SV6 Sportwagon SIDI of which I still own)
I wanted a large family sporty sedan with a bit of grunt I could use for business and pleasure on the weekend (I also considered VF sv6, VF SS, Chrysler 300s, Subaru WRX and Jeep Grand Cherokee)
In the end I narrowed it down to SS & the XR6 Turbo and I'm sure I would have been happy with either vehicle but decided on the Falcon because I have always wanted one (Turbo) as there a little more unique and I was able to get a great deal on the Ford.
I almost ruled the Falcon out based on what the media reviews state as poor driving position (seat to high - steering wheel to low), I have had no issues with this at all and immediately felt at home, comfortable and regularly swap from the Sportwagon and back Falcon with no problems.
The Sportwagon now feels a little under powered and a little soft in the suspension compared to Falcon although still a great family car with a lot of luggage space.
Any way I am very please with the car so far and really enjoy the way it looks, power delivery, the way it drives and the Sync 2 navigation, voice control etc.
I'm also so enjoying going back to manual box after many years of driving autos and being more evolved in driving experience and extra control over the car.
Fuel consumption at this early stage is a little more than Commodore, but I haven't done any longer trips as yet.
Will update this review in a few months time

TransmissionManual
Date PurchasedApr 2015

Can't bet a old ford compared to a new xr6turbo

Owned a au falcon put over 200thou on her and hard km I will add trade her in on a new xr6tubo ute what a huge mistake most noisy tyer wereing pore visablity peice of nuts and bolts I ever Owened sold it a at $7000 plus loss what did ford do wrong the good point was the engine and gear box we'll just now I bought a 2005 boss and it heaven to drive with power and comfort stick with these models between AU & BF you can't go wrong parts cheep and reliable ford have to offer road side asstince these days cause thay are a peice of scrap tin plate thay completely stuff up after the BF and I would never buy of the maroochydore ford dealer get 19inch rims pay for the Bonnas pack the spare is a mag pick it up get a flat find out thay swap it for a 16 inch real handy glad I payed that extra on RACQ Woulda cost me a bit other wise crap.

BodyUte