Ford Fiesta

• Comfort
  • Features

No_longer_a_Ford_fan

No_longer_a_Ford_fanFar North Queensland, QLD

Great to drive, awful to own

Purchased in April 2015 for $13,000.00.

Stevo GJ

Stevo GJNSW, 2340

Don'y buy the Automatic

Purchased in August 2015 at Ford Dealers for $13,000.00.

Tommy

TommyMelbourne

Trouble with transmission

Purchased this car brand new. Good enough drive/easy to maneuver, but the transmission they use has a fault that Ford do not seem able to fix.

Quite often when accelerating, the car will shudder a bit. First few times I mentioned to the service dept, they said they updated the software. Eventually had to get replaced and still had issues.

BadgeCL
Date PurchasedNov 2012
Hatchbacks

Find out how Ford Fiesta compares to other Hatchbacks

Grant

GrantMelbourne

Watch for Crook Clutches / Faulty / Noisy Gearbox

Had for 2 years and then traded after clutches replaced due to shuddering (known Ford DSG / clutch issue) , and the surfacing of gearbox noises. Dealer advised that gearbox would be repaired / replaced under warrantee if it fails. Had to wait for month for clutch replacement as there was a large queue ahead of us. Very comfortable car just let down by clutch / gearbox issues. Traded in on VW Polo after wife refused to drive Fiesta again. The Polo has a similar DSG gearbox to Fiesta but VW does not appear to suffer from DSB / clutch problems in past few years.

BadgeZetec

Good small compact car but POOR TRANSMISSION

Powershift transmission is terrible. It often shudders and have issues with shifting on lower gears (especially on road humps). Sent it to Ford to fix the issue, but after a few days issue was back. Every time I bring it in for it's annual service, issue is fixed but after a few days it always comes back. I've had the car close to 5 years now and it's getting worse. Although its fuel efficient and easy to park, the transmission is very bad. If I had known that it's a common issue with Ford Fiesta cars, we probably wouldn't have purchased the car.

BadgeLX
Vince R

Vince RSydney

What a lemon

Our 2009 Fiesta CL has gone through 2 sets of brake pads and rotors. Now at 90,000 km our timing belt has failed. It was due to be changed at 150,000. The warranty for Ford is nowhere near any of the other car brands. We will never buy another Ford again - EVER.

BadgeCL
BodyHatch

No spare tyre and not warned

Am so cheesed off with this car as a single woman. I got no discount on the new car, no trade in for my old Ford and ripped off on the window tinting. Thanks Ford Maddington never again. Had I known there was but a tyre filer in the boot I would never have bought it. I've had two flat tyres and each time has been a nightmare to get them fixed.

Falling apart

I have a 2009 automatic Ford Fiesta and it is falling apart. Also is now underivable as it will not select a gear. Just want to burn it!!

BodyHatch

Low gears are trouble in any language

With a new gearbox it would be a great little car. I have driven Ford cars since 1958 not all new, in U.K.

Hatchbacks

Find out how Ford Fiesta compares to other Hatchbacks

steveMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

No spare wheel is a safety issue

While I like our new Fiesta, where we bought it from in Mt Barker, SA, we were not told that it did not have a spare wheel. We only found out when we got a puncture out in the country, out of mobile phone range. It is a good car about from that, and the lights. With the internal dashboard light coming on when you start up, at night it gives you the impression that your main lights are on.
A nice drive
The lack of a spare wheel, and not being told about it. The dashboards lights being on when the main lights are not. The switch is on the dashboard instead of the steering wheel.

TransmissionManual
heaf
heaf
imolator
imolator

the fiesta doesn't have auto headlights, so no setting to change. the dash lights are on all the time independent of the headlight switch.

Original poster is correct, but when I had my Zetec it never bothered me.

Roy O.

Roy O.asked

Fiesta

As a fiesta eco boost 1000cc got a cam belt or time omg chain?

Nico

Nicoasked

Fiesta WP (2004-2005)

I am considering purchasing a 2005 Ford Festiva. Are there any common issues associated with this model?

Rach

Rachasked

Fiesta

Hi, I'm looking at buying a 2010 Ford Fiesta LX that's done 90,000ks. It just had its 90k service.
I've had it RAA checked and they've said it's due for timing belt change (10 years/150,000ks). How much would this cost? And are there any other issues I should consider? Thanks

Kristie
Kristie

Pretty sure I never changed my timing belt and I’m at 180k

Fred

I purchased a 2009 WS Fiesta Zetec last October and found it required the timing belt change when I read the manual. Given the previous owner's attitude to servicing, there was no way it would have been done. I did this: I bought the required parts online. I could get them cheaper than my mechanic could. Change the water pump at the same time. Be aware that "timing belt kits" often come with camshaft seals, and if your mechanic goes ahead and does them, you'll then need new bolts for the sprocket(s) they have to remove to get at the seals. They are once only usage "torque to yield" bolts. I'd suggest not to do the seals unless they obviously need replacement- and get the bolts in first. I'd also advise to have a new accessory belt on hand, mine started disintegrating within days of the timing belt work because they're stretch fit and not really designed to be reused. If the car runs like a hairy goat after the work, the cam timing's out. This happened to me, there were 3 bolts supplied to "lock" the camshaft and the workshop used the wrong one. All up cost for me was $1200, but that included a service with oil filter and 5W-20 oil (the recommended grade), a new driveshaft seal plus fitting, a wheel balance and a few other odds and sods. If no other work is required and you don't change the cam seals it might be in the $700 to $800 region. My mechanic has reasonable hourly rates, but charged me $104 for "special tools hire" which annoyed me. Presumably that wouldn't happen at a Ford dealership but they'd undoubtedly find other parts "needing" replacement.

Fred

It's likely to be in the region of $700-800 although my service was ~$1200 including parts. I had the gearbox end drive shaft seal replaced, a wheel balance and other odds and sods. I also supplied many of the parts as I could get them cheaper online than the workshop could get them in. Be aware that many "timing belt kits" come with cam seals, and if the workshop goes ahead and changes them, you'll need new sprocket bolts as they're single use only "torgue to yield". In my case that caused a delay of a week while they were ordered in and fitted. Also, the accessory belt on my car nearly disintegrated within days of getting it back: it's stretch to fit and not really designed for reuse, so get a new one of those as well as a water pump kit. You may also need a new thermostat, or at least it's sensible to have the extra parts fitted as so much has to be dismantled to do the timing belt. If you avoid the cam seals (i.e. they look fine) you might save up to $100 or possibly more in costs.

Compare all 8 Ford Fiesta
Extra Features
  • Automatic Wipers
  • Keyless Entry
  • Voice Control
Manufacturer Warranty3 year(s)5 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)
Release dateJan 2013Jan 2013Jan 2013Jan 2013