17Ford Mondeo

Ford Mondeo Questions & Answers (page 3)

Michael K.
Michael K. · Mondeo MC (2010-2014)

My 2013 Mondeo 2.0 diesel (136000km) needs auto gearbox replacement or repaired; apparently not service at 120k by previous owner and now none of the gears work. Does anyone know what are the suitable gearboxes for this model

Sergio D.
Sergio D. · Mondeo MC (2010-2014)

Does anyone know if the transmission limited function is also just a “safe limp home” mode due to other issues. I don’t think the gearbox is misbehaving. My obd2 scanner didn’t identify any codes but digging down deeper I found 4 codes all related to switches.
C1513 - Brake switch circuit error
C1702 - Variant coding error
C1102 - Battery Voltage Low
C1283 - Yaw rate & G sensor-signal
Would any of these switches lead to a limp home mode

Mark L.

Hi Sergio dont know the answer to that but often with modern cars if the Battery is suspect it will cause the computer to play up. Seeming there is a code for low battery check the condition of the battery with a tester to see if that is the problem.

Sergio D.

Thanks for that Mark. I should have added that the battery was changed about 12 months ago by the RACV. Next to all the codes it says “current” so I assume these codes are not historic and never cleared

Sergio D.

Thanks Mark, I should have said that battery was replaced within past 12 months. Next to the code, it says current so I don’t think it was code has been there since before replacing battery.

Review_AU
Review_AU

Sounds like the trans hasn't been serviced properly or at all. MUST service them every 60,000klm. The sensors in them are magnetic and accumulate metal particles (common auto wear) and throw off the sensors signals to the ECU hence the limp mode. Most common issue with them. No one wants to service them, they think engine oil is good servicing. No, its not enough with most modern cars. Especially automated Manuals like Mondeo, Focus & many VW's (DSG's) and the like. I read so many of the same problems and almost always relate to poor trans servicing. Human error most of the time...

Sergio D.

Thanks for the response. Where are the magnetic sensors located?
I had the transmission serviced but I personally did it again recently. I found that the oil I took out was less than it needed. It was done 20K earlier.
Obviously the mechanic didn’t know about the process of filling then running motor and going through the gears etc. It took about 1 litre more. However the “limited transmission function” still comes up. I now believe the issue might be dirty solenoids and I have ordered them to replace rather than try cleaning them.
But another unusual thing started happening. A few times as I’m coming to a stop or slowing down, the revs stay high at the same revs as before I applied the brakes. The car usually fixes itself and I don’t get the “limited transmission” problem. But, I lose reverse gear when I stop later. I turn engine off and then on again and the reverse gear problem disappears. Checked online for an answer but I found nothing. I’m changing solenoids as I was able to read the code as the “transmission limited” light was on on 2 occasions and the scanner code indicated solenoid D being stuck off.

Tracey H.
Tracey H. · MC (Wagon) (2010-2014)

Hi
I have 2010 Mondeo Diesel 6 speed auto I was driving on highway this morning and warning came up " transmission hot touch brake" I pulled over turned if off only for about 2 mins then continued on my way kept leaver in Drive and warning did not appear again, Does any1 know why this warning may have appeared ?

Mark L.

Hi Tracey sounds like transmission has gotten too hot for some reason and computer has told you to put the brakes on and slow down so it can cool down. Hopefully transmission is only due for an oil and filter change. Check log book to see when this was last done. Needs to be done every 60000klms max!!! When this is done get mechanic to check computer with scan tool to see if any error codes were logged.

Mark L.

Tracey put some newspaper on the ground under the engine gearbox and see if there are any leaks overnight from the transmission as it could be low on fluid. Topping up or changing the transmission fluid is a bit of a fiddly process. If its leaking definitely a problem and will cause transmission to overheat as will overdue for a change transmission fluid service.

Peter C.
Peter C. · Mondeo MB (2009-2010)

car was running fine i was trying to do oul chance but the sump plug could not come out so i took the cor of the ramps and now the car wont start the dash board reads engane malfuion

Mark L.

yeah a friend done an oil change on ramps on a nissan pulsar and a similar thing happened. Guessing got something to do with excessive oil flowing down past the valves and getting sucked into the engine through valve stem seals because of the angle of the car on the ramps when he refilled the engine with oil. Think it fouled the Maf sensor causing error code. Might have to reset error code with scan tool and clean egr system if error reoccurs. I assume engine is running ok? I am not a mechanic and only know what Ive picked up from doing.

Ryan L.
Ryan L. · Mondeo MC (2010-2014)

Been looking to buy a new car, went today to test drive an auto 2010 Ford mondeo wagon. When taking off from stopped the car kinda jolts a bit but once you get going it’s fine. I can’t take it to look at a mechanic due to covid, any idea of what it is and how much it could cost to fix?

Mark L.

Yeah they can be a bit jerky sometimes when slowing then accelerating etc.Good test is to drive up a steep hill and just note if tacho is fluctuating once in top gear i.e 100 or 200rpm which indicates clutches are slipping.Tacho should be steady when cruising under load with constant throttle.Also make sure gearbox has been serviced at minimum 60klm intervals as keeping trans fluid clean in these is critical.Changes on the go under acceleration should be fairly seamless.Im not a mechanic and only speaking from experience.

Geraldine P.
Geraldine P. · Mondeo MA (2007-2008)

Mondeo XR5 turbo 2008 2.5 L. Car is “chugging” every now and then. Feels like a temp starvation of petrol. Would it be the fuel pump? Where is the pump located?

Dieseldel
Dieseldel · Mondeo MD (2015-2024)

How do you disable tailgate chimes permanently on a 2019 ford mondeo?

Mark L.

Sorry dont know mine is an MC hatchback.There is a good site called Talkford. You might find the answer there if it is possoble.

Hi
Thanks for your reply. I’m already an active member on talkford. But had no replies as yet on this topic
But thanks again for trying to help.

Aqeel M.
Aqeel M. · Mondeo

I am thinking about buying 2014 FM. It's got 194k km. Price is $6000, have service logs. Will it be a good to buy?? Need a opinion/suggestions. Thanks in advance

Barry
Barry · MC (Hatchback) (2010-2014)

Hi there
I have a 2014 Mondeo MC diesel hatch 102000km.
How often do I need to change the Camshaft drive belt, (if at all). Is this chain driven?
I think I need to change the auxiliary drive belts every 180000km or 10 years though.

Mark L.

Hi Barry mc tdci has a timing belt that ford recommend be changed at 200k or 10 years.The water pump and idler and guides are changed as well hence 10 year coolant change from new as well.They also have a chain that should last the life of the engine if the correct oil is used. Going to get mine done in next year or so and go to ford as my mechanic hasnt got the tool to lock the cams while the belt etc are replaced.

no n.
no n. · Mondeo MA (2007-2008)

my Ford Mondeo2008 2.3 Automatic has 180.000kms when I should change the timing belt ? how much can cost ? thanks

Luke w.
Luke w. · Mondeo MC (2010-2014)

Hi I would like to know if the mk3 mondeo gearbox could bolt up to a mk4 engine?
Cheers.

Nishad H.
Nishad H. · Mondeo MC (2010-2014)

Hi My Ford MC Mondeo LX Turbo Diesel transmission fault. The 5th gear and reverse gear are faulty, doesn't allow me to reverse my car. Any suggestions for 2013 model and 185k kms?
Better to get off the car or replace a second hand transmission?
Nishad

Laurie P

Get off the car, see if you can trade it in!

Yes I sold it.....Thanks

Ron C.
Ron C. · Mondeo MC (2010-2014)

2012 ford mondeo diesel has slight clutch shudder on takeoff and revs up aprox 500 revs on gear change has had oil changed as per service schedule every time .is there a control module or is it the gearbox?

Laurie P

Sounds like the gearbox, trade it in quick!

mehmod r.
mehmod r. · Mondeo MC (2010-2014)

Hi I have 2012 Ford Mondeo Hatch 2.0 ecoboost petrol my car transmission light is on it says limited function and transmission malfunction and When these sign appears car doesn’t change shifts I have taken to my regular mechanic and he had referred me to transmission specialist because mechanic couldn’t find any oil leakage from transmission or from engine, transmission service was done on time , but when went to see the transmission specialist he found through his computer that both manual mode n auto mode are stuck because of rockers and it will cost me $1200 please advise me what to do thanks

7empest
7empest

I’m not a real doctor mate

G40rce
G40rce · Mondeo MD (2015-2024)

Hi,I’ve got a 2015 wagon and it’s a known fact the rear self leveling shocks crap out early and you can’t use lowering springs with them,can anyone recommend some replacement ones?thanks

Gee
Gee

I can’t find any aftermarket rear shocks for the wagon. Ford rear shocks are $1200 each. Did you have any luck?

Eddy
Eddy

Sydney Australia, 2016 Mondeo Wagon...purchased a set of H & R 30mm lowering springs and found this out the hard way. Front came down 30mm as expected. Rear will not sit full weight on the springs and sits with its back in the air 30mm due to the standard rear shock holding it up. Suspension specialist removed the rear shocks, allowed the car just to sit on her springs, and the car sits perfect 30mm lowered front and rear....$1400 later, and I’ve just been informed there are none, zero, aftermarket shocks available or made for this vehicle that would in turn overcome this issue. I’m upset...well upset these are sold without being advised of this issue...please people, know this, unless the suspension companies produce an aftermarket shock, you cannot lower the rear of a Mk5 wagon...be warned...now I’m going after a refund and labour costs due to the lack of R & D done, and being sold a kit that cannot do the job as advertised and described on this vehicle...

AlanM
AlanM

There are aftermarket shocks available. In fact just replacing the self levelling shocks with normal gas shocks will lower the rear of the car considerably.

I've got the opposite problem. I have KYB gas shocks to replace the self levelling ones which are a ridiculous price, but the rear of the car will be too low for my usage. I'm looking at either airbags inside the coils, or raised coils.

Graham Hall
Graham Hall · Mondeo

what changed after the MA models

Greg

Obviously as models went mechanicals and the body changed.
Due to work I was always a falcon supporter, great kms and reliability, but I think the Mondeo is similar but surpassing it in design and reliablity in peripherals the the same is in motor design reliability.
When I was a kid we bought holdens because fords were a little more expensive.
Every Weekend I worked on the Holden,HG,HT,HX ect to fix something,but once I saved enough for an old XP falcon Ute I never looked back and bought fords from then on.

Greg

Sorry if I am off on a tangent.

Loris B
Loris B · MD (Hatchback) Titanium (2015-2024)

I have MD Titanium Petrol Hatchback and for the 2nd time, driver seat memory settings do not work, so seat and column stuck in default position. Lumbar settings still working. I thought Id look at fuse 2 in the passenger compartment fuse panel, but this seems good esp. as panoramic sunshade also working. Ford did not advise which fuse had blown first time. Any ideas?

Greg

The only thing I can think of is unplugging all the cables under the seat and plug them back in, I did hear this worked for one person.

Loris B

Thanks Greg, may give that a try.

Joe.A.N
Joe.A.N · Mondeo MC (2010-2014)

Any problems with 6 speed auto, timing belt. 2011,TDCI

JD Qld
JD Qld · Mondeo MC (2010-2014)

Hi, I have a 2013 MC diesel wagon with approx 112 klms.
I've read a few forums about people having trouble with their auto trans shuddering and jolting whilst going UP through the gears and on take-off etc, but has anyone had any jolting/jerking/harsh gear changes occurring whilst stopping or when the trans is changing DOWN through the gears to a halt, or close to stopping, or even when just slowing right down to turn left or right etc? It seems to be when the trans is changing down from 3rd to 2nd and then to 1st, all the rest seem ok.
It does this on occasion at first, and then does it more the warmer the motor gets. But can also do it at unexpected times as well?? And it doesn't seem to matter if i pull up nice and slowly and gently, or apply the brakes to stop a bit more quickly, it still does it.
Anyone else have this happening or able to tell me what the problem might be?
It's an ex sales rep car so the books are very good, plus I had a mechanic check the car before I bought it.
He mentioned at the time that 60,000klm service had been done, and there was evidence of this as he noticed that the bolts had all been removed/taken off etc at 'some stage' as well..
So any ideas..?
Thanks, and Much Appreciated :)

Garrys
Garrys

Hi - I have the same car - MC diesel wagon. It's a really great car. Transmission started doing the same thing at 152000km and got progressively worse over a month or so. Eventually failed (google "ford mondeo dual clutch issues") and needed a transmission rebuild - $4400.00. 30000 kms later and all good (touch wood). Work ws done in Tullamarine Melb if you want their details.

Hi Garry,
Thanks for your reply.
Damn and Ouch! Touch wood that doesn't happen!
I was driving it again yesterday and it was pretty good, didn't do it much at all. It was an overcast day, so maybe the oil gets a bit thin on really hot days and makes the transmission play up a bit? Low on oil possibly/maybe??
I'm up at the Sunshine Coast so can't see the same mechanic as you. Thanks anyway :)
So does anyone know a good transmission place who won't rip me off, up here?

Music I.
Music I.

My 2012 turbo diesel was doing the same thing. The other day, my wife was driving and she had to do an emergency stop. She got a Limited function light on the dash and a box full of neutrals! Took it to an auto specialist, he hooked up his computer and performed a hard reset. It worked and I have drive again. He suggested servicing the trans, replacing the filter and selling it! Apparently m it's something to do with a small, internal filter becoming partially blocked and reducing fluid flow. The problem is, replacing the filter is a transmission out job...about $3000! This is why regular trans service and fluid change is so important in these cars :/

JD Qld

Thankyou for your reply 'Music'. Your problem sounds more like the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter. Only diesels have one!) and it was blocked up due to driving in too much stop start traffic, only doing short/around town runs, and not taking the car for a regular good run on a highway (for 20mins/half an hour). The filter should then clear it's own throat of any buildup of 'gunk' in the DPF, and you should then be good to go. If that doesn't work, yes, it's probably time to see a mechanic..?!

JD Qld

From driving my car around a lot of late (I use it for uber and didi) and only very recently buying the car, I think it was just the transmission getting used to the way I drive..?? It doesn't go down into 1st gear as violently as it was now, but sometimes it DOES still change down a little early (1st and 2nd gears) and not where and when I would necessarily change a manual gearbox down to, or expecting. All round though, i reckon it's a great car except for the above, as well as it's 'turbo lag' when taking off from a stand still..!

Greg C.
Greg C.

Hi Garrys
Do you have the contact details for the transmission rebuild in Tullamarine
Thanks in advance

Mark s
Mark s · Mondeo MC (2010-2014)

Will an auto transmission from a 2013 petrol wagon fit a 2013 auto diesel wagon, thankyou Mark from australia.

Get an answer from our members and Ford representatives

Select a listing for your question
Ford Mondeo