Ford Ranger PJ (2007-2009)

Ford Ranger PJ (2007-2009)

See the Best Utes in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Paul M.

Paul M.Central, SA

Great value allrounder

I have the super cab, 3.0L TDi, 5 speed manual, 4x2 Hi-Rider 2008 model. Never owned a diesel vehicle before & I can't believe how smooth & punchy this engine is, especially considering the ute weighs over 1700 kg & can tow 3 tonne. I'm getting 8.8 to 9.5 L/100km regularly in the country depending how I drive it. Probably can't expect much better from an 11 year old vehicle with similar load carrying & towing capabilities. From the research I've done, sounds like the 3.0L motor may have been one of the best in the range.

Purchased in March 2019 for $7,000.00.

Noise Level
Interior Design
Boot Size
Features
Comfort

my ranger wont start, am using quick start, and its definitely over-fueling, black smoke on accelera

Family transport, used daily, serviced 6 monthly. When it didn't want to start i used quick start. However, the black smoke had started before that. Diagnostics in Kokstad said it was injectors but I'm failing to understand why it wont start without quick start?
About a year ago i had the problem of it not starting and the problem was related to the key remote but there was no black smoke. The rough idling or miss only comes in between 1800 - 2000 rpm then it goes away, still has power!

Engine Size0
Date PurchasedMar 2010

Great ute

Wen very Reliable. Fuel economy not good but not terrible. Engine has been great. Got a glow plug problem that ford refuse to recognize. Transmission is about to give up again first time was at 85000 now at 234000 would not recommend it to anyone. All in all the ute has been brilliant. Very strong Engine and Gearbox but the box can't handle it for to long. I think it may be time for a New Ranger. Or a turbo Diesel Landcruiser

Date PurchasedMay 2007
Timf001

Timf001Sydney

Nice reliable car

Smooth drive, reliable and smooth. Like to drive a lot so enjoy travelling in this vehicle. Interior is well appointed and it has a USB port which is a good feature. Fuel economy is ok but not great. Would recommend for off the road trips as well but can be a bit bumpy

CabSingle
Date PurchasedJul 2014

Frank

Frank

Good

Good car, great model, it that good in the long run, hope it doesn't come back Yano, kinda scary n Stuff, got better things to be doing. Let me finish this please she said she was like a good time to go back and I don't want you to know that you

Date PurchasedMay 2006

Steeleydan7

Steeleydan7

Not perfect! But pretty darn good!

BadgeXL Plus
Engine Size3 liter
Date PurchasedJun 2008

Willma.77

Willma.77Turill

The best truck I've owned heaps of power mines the 2wd high rider love it

The ranger rides so comfy i hop in the wifes pajero so uncomfortable feel every bump.
My ranger is ok on diesel but ive orderd a power chip . And doing the egr value. Cause the engine light come on thru the egr code up think it was 401. Ill be putting the 3 inch exhurst on it. May be ordering the idrive. Should go like a power house

Date PurchasedJan 2016
Engine Size3.0

Peto

PetoPoint fortin

No regret buying this ranger

Holds the road great, added some adjustable shocks changes the ride completely.
Could have done with more leg room.
Not too hard to maintain cause parts last really long. It's a great buy will encourage anyone to purchase this, too bad they don't make these anymore. T D C I

Engine Size2.5l
Trevor S.

Trevor S.Adelaide

Best ute I've had

Bought my 2007 PJ Ranger second hand: 97,000km - 3 years old. Great tow vehicle good economy. Just sold it, never missed a beat.

BodyUte

a great vehicle have not had any major problems apart from the 4WD shift motor that was eventualy re

First of I had a lot of trouble with 4WD would not engage even though I told them the problem (the Dealer) said they had years of knowledge and after spending a large amount of money on sensor's they finally contacted ford and were told it was the shift motor that I had told them months before and apparently 40 replacements were on route to Aussi so eventually problem fixed.
On service cost I to also gave ford the dealer the flick as a lot of the items in the service sheet were missed ,never done even wheels were never rotated a basic requirement

Engine Size3.0 diesel

Top Ute

Engine Size3.0L

Caro

CaroJimboomba

Beware the Auto Transmission

Engine Size3Lt

Except for the amount of repairs and faults this is a great vehicle

Engine Size3.0

terratree

terratree

Good ute but don't count on the warranty

Over 150,000ks in my 2007 PJ Ranger, mostly without drama except for a new clutch at about 50,000. Clearly the original clutch was only good for running around town, not towing or other hard work. Ford refused to come to the party despite many other clutch failures being reported on various forums. Replacement under warranty seemed to depend on how big a client the owner was. Being told I might not have driven the manual vehicle appropriately was a bit rich; I'd only been doing it for 50 years!
Comfortable cruising and towing vehicle and also great around town.
50,000 ks out of a clutch is really poor. The replacement is obviously heavier duty and has done 100,000 ks plus including plenty of towing with no problems at all.

Engine Size3.0L Turbo

Ford Ranger 2007

KillaWhat

Agreed, very rarely would I take my ranger back to ford for any type of work. It's like any mechanics. Find a good one and stick with them.

sinclear
sinclear

08 PJ TurboDiesel Auto

Great! Has great fuel economy and tows so easily, never missed a beat and have done some long trips in it. Have owned 2 utes before (Rodeo and Hilux) and this is the best by a long shot. The ride is a little stiff and the interior can be harder to clean.
Fuel Eco, Power, Reliability
Suspension a little stiff

Danny

DannyAtherton

Bit of a Let Down

My 2007 XLT Auto Ranger only done 135,000 needed a new drive shaft, the spline was apparently flogged out, and when I contacted Ford was told basically stiff [word removed]. Over $800 dollars to replace, it has hardly been off-road and been serviced regularly. Not sure which I am more annoyed about, the fact that something I have never had occur in my life or their attitude, a BT50 with only 98,000 was getting the same thing fixed, so tell me??? I am currently looking for another ute and because of Ford's attitude am going to get an Isuzu, last Ford I ever buy.

Lynne Harley
Lynne Harley

Had my 2013 ranger for 6 week back in the shop for the forth time with the some electrical problem, they can't fine what the problem is.

LINDSAY ROSS
LINDSAY ROSS

I had my ranger in shop for 3 weeks the first time and even told them where to look but they wouldnt listen and when they did bingo there it was a cracked ring gear flexplate.But it did take 3 weeks for them to look there

KillaWhat

I just bought a Ranger 08 the gearbox is worrying. What's the diff between XL and XLT

Gearbox plays up most times especially with air con on. What's the diff between XL and XLT? Not the best on fuel for a diesel. Airs not the best takes its time to cool. A lot of front tyre wear even after alignment. The truck only done 80000km.
Not bad for an automatic.
Only getting 500km on full tank long drive, tyre wear front nose in when full hook to park

Engine Size3.0 TDCi
poiter
poiter

Thats better economy than me i only get 14-15 = 400 per tank

kangooroo vadio
kangooroo vadio

Bought my new march 2009 done 165000 km,only problem so far,5th gear sometimes jumps out,.

2008 Turbodiesel PJ Hi-rider 4x2

Engine Size3.0L

KillaWhatSouth-Eastern Region, NSW

• Selected Review

PJ XLT 3.0L Turbo Diesel Ranger 2007: Built Tough - but you can break them!

Engine Size3.0L Turbo Diesel
GPX
GPX

I have only done about 70k in my PK but I agree with everything you said. Ford Service in Woden is terrible and that is basically why the PK is being replaced by a Triton.

BOB27
BOB27

thanks not long winded at all enjoyed reading your theread........as i am looking for a good ute.......

Mal5618
Mal5618

I agree with Bob. Not long winded at all. Excellent to read sych a concise review. Thanks.