Ford Ranger PX.I (2011-2015)

Ford Ranger PX.I (2011-2015)

FORD PX RANGER R.I.P. @ 74,511klms.

My Ford Capped Price Servicing Ford PX Ranger was bought new, to be my forever luxury vehicle, but, at a 39,600klm under warranty service at a Townsville Ford Dealership, it had issues with the manual clutch, that were ignored. Since early 2018 my Ford PX Ranger and many calls, emails to Ford Australia, has been at a standstill and undrivable at only 74,511klms on the clock. The Owners Manual 228page booklet supplied on purchase of a new Ford, has nothing but print and illustrations of the electronic plastic gadgets in the truck. There is not 'ONE' (1) page illustrating the motor or how to fix it. Not one! There isn't even any mechanical plan to show how to get to the mechanical parts within the motor for repair. Not one page helps the Truck owner to do a home repair to save money. Ford's Logo is "Ford goes further". I think this Ford automobile company needs a 'reality check.'

Purchased for $55,893.91.

Boot Size
Features
Comfort

COG light

Daily commute as well as tow vehicle during holidays. During towing the amber COG light on dash came on on several occasions. Car is serviced regularly. (anywhere between 10k and 15k).
After taking car to several mechanics someone suggested I run another lead from the negative terminal to the engine block. Hey presto COG light no longer comes on. Has 105,000 klms on the clock.

Date PurchasedJan 2014

Love my Ranger

With plenty of power to tow, comfortable seats and good fuel economy we are very happy with our 2014 Wildtrack..
we purchased it second hand with 112 thousand kms in the clock, and we have since travelled 36,000 kms including a 13, 500 trip to Darwin and North Qld.
It has not missed a beat

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Limp mode

Only just over 100,000 kms and fully serviced and just turned 5 years old , I'm not to happy with my ranger . WHY you ask - From changing my water pump after losing coolant and going into limp mode twice ???? ( didn't over heat ,straight to service and new water pump ) Then losing more coolant ( straight to service ,pressure tested , hose clamp replace?????) still losing coolant ????? Went through 29-31 litres over 1800-2100 kms ?...then limp mode every 2-3 kms last week so straight to service centre 3 rd time back to ford service . They don't know what is wrong with it ???? It might drive great but not too happy with the ranger and the ford service company that I brought the car from

BadgeXLT Hi-Rider
Date PurchasedJun 2013

Great dual -cab

We sold our Hilux (petrol) and bought a 2012 Ranger 3.2TDi - the best move we ever made in terms of vehicles.
The Ranger out-performs the Hilux in every department. We tow a large boat on a bogey axle trailer from Sydney to the Central Coast on a regular basis. The Ranger tows the boat full of gear etc. with ease- rarely needing to drop down gears on some of the long climbs on the M1, whilst the Hilux was constantly changing gears on the same hills, at the same speed - usually around100kph.Fuel consumption is great - 20-25% better than the Hilux.
Very happy with the ride, equipment level and drivability- both on and off road.

Date PurchasedOct 2012

Blown engine 3.2lt 130000km

Worst car I ever bought, had 130000km on it then all of a sudden black smoke and a blown motor.
I'm on the ranger club Facebook and see this as a regular occurrence.
If you're still thinking about getting one read all reviews on different sites before spending the $$$.
I'm up for over $8000 and that is a cheap fix.

BadgeXL
Date PurchasedNov 2011
Same, same amount of km as well only dearer to fix up north w.a. And that's only a short motor plus injectors which is the cause because they're meant to be replaced at 100000km. Lucky I didn't sell my trusty troopy that's got triple the km

Steering wheel disintegrating

No action from Ford after asking them to review the steering wheel that is peeling. I have never had a car with a steering wheel that disintergrates. It is definately not fit for purpose and is clearly a manufacturing fault. This should have been a product recall to rectify the problem

BadgeXL
Date PurchasedApr 2013

Best 4×4 have driven

i have had my ranger for three years now. i had a 2005 dual cab hilux 2lt turbo. it was so under powered with a full tank of diesel i could only get 350ks. my ranger is comfortable. it has great touque. handles the road great. it handles best with good quality all weather all torain tyres. its great on fuel economy. its quick of the mark. i found that if you put a snorkle on it. you get even more power and better power. by doing this i found that i went from nine litres per hundred kilometers to between 7.5 litrs and 9 ltrs per hundred ks. and the engine runs cooler especially when towing a caravan. plenty of room. love the dual control climate as my partner likes it a bit warmer and i like it colded. saves on arguments. i feel like when i driven 500 kilometers. that seems like ive driven 100 kilometers. and still feel refreshed. even the dog luvs it lol. the prob i have i dont get to drive it enough. as im a truck driver. but when i do drive my ranger it still feels like i am driving a new car every time. i wont be getting rid of it anytime soon. i loved the fact that the ranger no matter what model it comes with the tow pack and side steps as standed. not like the toyota models where you have to pay extra. especiall when you are pay for a very exspensive model. how do i know was looking at getting the Sahara land cruiser at a 130 thousand dollars. you had to pay extra for a tow pack and side steps. the ford ranger was the only 4 wheel drive that came with these features standard.

BadgeXLT Hi-Rider
Date PurchasedDec 2014

Great reliable car

Very good car with all the power and tech that a 4wd utility vehicle should have. The fuel is also very efficient and gets you great millage per tank. The car handles well and is great for 4wdriving out in the forests and on tough terrain. The car is also reasonably priced.

Date PurchasedFeb 2012

PreLoved Ranger

Purchased my 3 year old Ranger XLS from my wealthy son (who purchased a new PX2 XLT auto) with 100,000kms "on the clock:". Just prior to purchase the following items were corrected under warranty:
Small engine oil leak from rear crankshaft.
Both rear leaf springs "packs" had leaves out of alignment.
Very "squeaky" left side of dash.
I subsequently fitted the car with electric trailer brakes, canopy, additional LED reversing and driving lights (with nudge bar). The additional lights compensat/enhance poor original lights.
I purchased this car to facilitate my passion for horse riding - so I tow a "float" and carry all the necessary equipment for horse & rider to spend the weekend at an event.
The Ranger is an excellent towing vehicle. Care should be taken not to "lug" the transmission in 6th gear. When towing, engine RMP should be maintained above 2,000 at all times, even if this means remaining in 5th for prolonged periods.
Gear changing is not as intuitive as in other diesel vehicles I have driven. This is probably due to the wide torque band and smooth quiet engine performance. The green change up light is only useful when the vehicle is not under load and should be ignored when towing.
I find it comfortable on long trips. The car handles very well but as with all utes is "light/& skippy" on the rear end when empty. Brakes are very powerful inspiring confidence when heavy towing. Steering feel is a little dull like many modern vehicles (the PX2 is better). Driver visibility is poor with to many "blind" spots.
It is an economical "run about" delivering an easy 9L/100ks. So far for both my son and I the car has been reliable.
The interior finish is a bit "plasticy" and is easy to make permanent scuff/scratch marks on the skin textured finish.

CabCrew
BadgeXLS
Date PurchasedJul 2017

Wildtrack

Hi this moring i started my car it started to shack and blow alot of white smoke also it had alot of water coming out of my exhust and also have lost alto of coolant has anyone had this issue and know what it could be. Could it be headgasket or egr cooler etc

Date PurchasedJan 2013

Worst thing I've ever brought.

2 years ago I brought a 2012 xl hi-rider 2.2 4x2, I have had problems ever since, the first 6 months was just warming lights, then 4 months later my car (auto) stalled in the middle of an intersection with a semi truck coming my way and nearly killed me. Then the same happened the next day, Nrma picked it up and took it to ford for them to tell me the injectiors were stuffed and it was going to be $8000 to replace. 6 months after that it then started with the ABS warming lights again then engine lights followed, the 2nd gear kept slipping and had to replace the transmission, leaving me with no car and more money spent. It's been 6 months since the gearbox has been replaced and it's playing up again. And my turbo is starting to play up sucking in to much air and blowing so much smoke. Ford will not do anything to help. I'm a 20 year old female and I've been rorted big time. I've spent so much money fixing this car I will NEVER buy a ford again.

BadgeXL Hi-Rider
Engine Size2.2L
Date PurchasedJul 2015

Engine blown at 38,000km

We were very happy with our Ranger until the engine blew up at 38,000km. Suddenly blows white smoke, engine bay covered in oil and running on 4 cylinders. We expected warranty as it was 3 days prior to the anniversary of the purchase, so as we were away from home had it towed to the nearest Ford dealer. But no, apparently the dealer had registered the vehicle prior to us picking it up and Ford take warranty from that date. The car sat at the dealership for a week whilst Ford made every excuse to deny warranty, even ordering the dealership to check for and report on any modifications made to the vehicle in order to avoid a claim. Ford customer service are useless. So I decide to get the vehicle towed home - but no, the dealer wants $396 to release the vehicle, for work I never authorised as they said Ford had initially agreed to a good will claim. So 1 week later, I have no idea what went wrong, Ford don't care and the dealer extorted $396 from me. Stay away from Rangers, it seems Ford know they have a problem with the engines and will use any excuse to avoid warranty.

Date PurchasedSep 2013

Overpriced Piece of S**t

2014 ranger brought from the yard after much tossing up between Toyota and Patrol, have had nothing but problems in and out of the shop for warranty claims, wiring loom melted to the exhaust, new turbo, new air conditioning motors, driveshaft, wheel bearings, diff, this is out of warranty now and just waiting for the thing to blow up. Would never buy another ranger.

Date PurchasedNov 2016

Awesome car. Reliable!

Handles like a car, has the power of a 4x4 and very luxurious interior. Running costs are a bit high but that's to be expected for a 3.2ltr turbo. Very nice drive in traffic and manoeuvres very smoothly. A little stiff in the steering but it's a 4x4 and you need the weight behind it.

Date PurchasedAug 2017

Do not buy this car!

Our 4 year old ford ranger just died one day with no warning. It now requires $15k to get a new engine. We missed 1 service and that time apparently the oil level got too low (no warning of an oil light or anything) so the whole engine died. A car we purchased for $40k+ 4 years ago is died! We will never buy this car let alone a ford again.

BadgeXL Hi-Rider
Date PurchasedMay 2013

Blown Engine at 100000km

Well my 2012 XLT 4x4 Ranger just clocked over 100000km and with no warning the engine blew up. The vehicle has its regular services, all fluids etc all good. No warning lights come on to indicate any issues, just driving home from the shops and that's it. Engine making the most horrible knocking sound and vibrating badly. Now after blowing it shows all the warning lights etc. We use the vehicle for towing a caravan and general running around. I was very happy with the vehicle up till now, but now very unhappy and disappointed that this has happened.
Did so much research into buying the right vehicle for our needs and with the "Excellent" reports on this vehicle and its towing capacity what more could you ask. Well not much any more... it's dead!!!!
Very Very Disappointed Ford Australia and Ford in general...

Date PurchasedJun 2012
Just got back from the mechanic and it has dropped the big end. Rang ford and surprise they have the motors an the shelf ready to go. Raises the question why are they so easy to get? What do they know........

Disappointing, sluggish and depressing

2014 Ranger lacks power, no torque, stuggles to tow my 1200kg camper, motor replaced by Ford Australia at 51,000ks, new motor still sluggish, new motor has travelled 9000ks (total ks travelled 59,000ks) motor sounds like a time bomb, Ford keep telling me there's no faults. Car depressing to drive, sadly I have spent $25,000 on aftermarket upgrades for touring.
Decision time, trade (wont sell that may cause problems with new owner) or take legal action.

September 5th 2017 Update: Bunny bought a Ranger

Already 5 new injectors, new motor at 51000ks.
Recent 60000k service, desler advised that I need new set of glow plugs, so sad.
Ford really need to fix engine problem, I now have a low end ticking noise.
Planning on doing a trip to central Queensland from Victoria, doubt if car will make it.

Date PurchasedFeb 2014

Beautiful on the outside and that's about all for ours.

Exactly a year out of warranty with less than 90,000kms on the clock and our manual gearbox is dead, there's a hole in the exhaust, the dash reads errors alot, sometimes the reverse camera doesn't work and dings at us instead, the button for the heated drivers seat stopped working, the rollback tray was not mounted properly and is missing bolts as well as the fact that it lifts from the tray and our dealer fitted an Ironman bullbar with only 2 bolts instead of 4. And of all the cheap things, the interior plastic on the door handles is peeling, the gear shift is fading, the list goes on.
Ford have been unbelievably unhelpful and ignorant.

Date PurchasedMar 2013

Great Twin Cab

I am still in awe at how great this vehicle drives handles and preforms. Off road this vehicle handles like a true 4x4. On the highway it drives like a luxury sedan. Continues to prove itself to be a great preformance vehicle in all conditions. Aswell as being able to suit my family for long or short trips.

Date PurchasedJul 2017