Health Insurance Guide for 2020

The decision to take up private health insurance can be a very involved process, and the factors that go into your decision will be unique to you. Your first dip into the policy selection process can be pretty overwhelming, so this guide will help lay everything out for you as plainly as possible to get you on your way.

Read now

• Claim Resolution Time<1 week (2), 1-2 weeks (1), 1-2 months (1) and 3+ months (1)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (1) · No (3)
siddharth

siddharthGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Faulty system, hiding behind guise of non profit to deny services &/or compensation

Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Claim DateSeptember 2020
The Muppett

The MuppettSydney

Disgraceful behaviour during the covid pandemic

Ariadna R.Sydney, NSW

Attention migrants! Got charged for Lifetime Health Cover even got hospital cover immediately

I just realised that for the last 3 years I was charged for LHC even as a migrant who got immediately (within 365 days) a private health cover since got a Permanent Residency (and entering the country) I'm not suppose to pay it. And this is about 100$ per month!
Send a request for a refund. Membership Number 245260

Ariadna R.

Can confirm that the after contacting the insurance company, provided medicare document they have fully refunded

Find out how Frank Health Insurance compares to other Health Insurance

dropped optical provider without notification

Frank dropped my optical dispensor vision direct with no notice to customers who have been using them regularly. Now $300 out of pocket. I can return my prescription glasses but wont get refunded for the lenses. They state vision direct is not australian, however they promote "clearly" who are also international

Suzanne Melbourne

Suzanne MelbourneVictoria

Not supportive of COVID - 19 Health practises

My son suffers from migraines , so we were recommended to see a Dietician. We did this , but it was a CONFERENCE CALL due to COVID - 19 new practises .
This was certainly not our choice but that of the Clinic.
We were billed $150 , but FRANK HEALTH will not pay this claim .
The service is part of my Benefit , but they will not pay as it was not face to face .
How disgraceful is this .
I will be moving my Health Insurance to a FUND that is responding properly to the current world.
Not happy at all .

Coverage TypeSingle Parent Family
Heidi Kessell

Heidi KessellGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Very slow and unresponsive

Horrible experience with Frank, I have been waiting for a claim to be finalised for 4 months. Each time I call I have to explain the situation and sit on the phone for ages and I don’t get any assistance or any initiative to try and finalise the claim. Really poor service.

Claim Resolution Time3+ months
Claim DateNovember 2018

Dodgy and unclear.

Hospital rang frank to tell them i most likely had pancreatic cancer (i dont thank god) and needed emergency surgery, frank couldn't clarify if i was 100 percent covered, no matter who you spoke with. The liason at the hospital told me they were the worst health insurer she's ever had to deal with, and that they bwere scamming me. Also rang to see if i was covered for a 3 hour endoscopy, turns out i am which means i don't have to pay 485 for the procedure, but i have to pay frank 750 for hospital excess. So it would literally be cheaper to not use my health insurance which i pay 107 a month for.

Under 30Yes

top cover and you offer me no card, big delay, crap online portal, crap customer services and no compensation!!!

Signed up in 12/12/19 for a top cover. The card is never been sent out. 1st and 2nd time spoke to consultant they said WAIT. 3rd time they said they will resend. Another week they text “card just being sent pls wait another 5-7 business days”. Called them again, they said they are doing the right thing, claim can be made online, their annual limit on their website is not working and you must call them to know the limit, you must paid for expensive item and it is not their faults. Again, it is top cover and you offer me no card, crap online portal, crap customer services and no compensation!!!

Bcc

BccSouth East Queensland, QLD

Claiming Cancer Council products is a nightmare

Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks
Claim DateJanuary 2020

amkerker

amkerkerWimmera, VIC

Cancelled my hospital insurance with another insurer

When taking out ancillary cover only, they completed a cancellation form for both hospital and ancillary cover. It took me 2 hours to fix it up with them and my hospital insurer which was clearly an admin error of GMHBA. I am glad I ended up cancelling extras cover with Frank because, I find out anyway that they would hate to have to take on covering our family for extras as we would claim orthodontics. Not sure that is how health insurance works but anyhow, good to know Frank and indirectly GMHBA will not go broke now from not covering our orthodontic item numbers that we will claim.

Plan CoverageExtras Only
Anna

AnnaSydney, NSW

Awful customer service. Misleading claims. Member portal does not work

Plan CoverageExtras Only
Claim Resolution Time<1 week
Claim DateOctober 2019
Claim ApprovedNo

Frank Minimum Working Visa (Overseas Visitor Health Cover) Does NOT exempt from Medicare Levy Surcharge

Awais Mahmood

Awais MahmoodSydney, NSW

No more frank health insurance it's cheap but they don't return your hospital expenses.

I bought visitor family health insurance 2years ago. This month first time I lodge a claim which is $500 return but they start playing games and sad bring multiple docs from hospital. I ask hospital they sad we never ever giving these forms to patients even we don't have. I have all invoices which is i already provide to insurance company but they won't help me. Before I was with allianz they bit expensive but good when ever I lodge claim they made more easier for us and return. No more Good by Frank

Claim Resolution Time<1 week
Claim DateJune 2019
Claim ApprovedNo

The worst and lowest pay out for coverage

I was with frank insurance for a number of years. Paid huge amount each month and got bugger all when it was time to claim from my surgery. Was told by the medical staff / receptionist that FRANK is the lowest paying health insurance.
The staff do not properly tell you the complete cost and because they left out a few certain words like ' combined total" I was in for a rude shock when I had to pay more money than thought.
Be aware

Claim DateMarch 2019
Claim ApprovedYes
Laki

LakiSydney, NSW

The worst health insurance ever

The worst cover I ever had. Please be aware that what you actually covered. 485 visa holders they covered pregnancy as the details but actually cover only delivery charges. This is the worst health insurance I ever had and bad customer service as well.

Useless

18 yrs. only joined for tax purposes. Frank has an insidious operating model. They hide the facts hoping you will never find out. If you do find out they give you the policy which is too difficult to figure out while keep increasing the premium so you give up in frustration and they win. I believe others would be the same. I will quit private health insurance completely at the earliest opportunity.

Waste of money

It’s a total waste of money I just have this policy for tax purposes, I doubt that I will ever use it.

Insurance claim madeNo

kat

katSydney

You definitely won't love them

Poor digital offering and self service with non-existent communication about the fact that your digital request can't be automatically processed and will instead appear to have failed. Contacting them instead requires a great deal of drive - live chat wait times in excess of 15 mins and phone wait times close to 30 mins. Overall, a product that is comparable price-wise to the market pushed by a company who doesn't value their customers enough to offer a decent service.

Greg Teesdale

Greg TeesdaleSouthwest, VIC

Changes to cover that you don't know about until you go to claim

I joined Frank about 5 - 7 years ago. Didn't have an issue until November when I went to claim for an item and couldn't got told I was notified years before of the change. Not happy with service anymore. Won't recommend to anyone.

Domon

DomonMelbourne

Three weeks just to get a response

Insurance claim madeNo