145 questions from our users

Sayad U.
Sayad U.asked
Chainsaw user

Screw on the button, will be labeled

lucas l.
lucas l.asked
Petrol Chainsaw

i purchased a ferrex/aldi chainsaw model cs 5300b-4. i need to know what type of 2 stroke oil to use.... fully synthetic, semi synthetic, mineral???? There is absolutely no recommendation anywhere in the info supplied.

Vkoio4

As I understand it, best to start off with straight mineral oil Lucas. Synthetic oil is almost too good at first, and interferes with the piston rings abrading the honed cylinder bore, a critical process called 'bedding in'. If you use synthetic oil during the run-in period, you risk glazing the bore and might never have properly bedded-in rings and piston. The same kind of process is at work in bearings too. So run several tanks worth of a straight mineral mix at least, then later in the life of the saw you can move to synthetic if you want to. Whether it's money well spent is an open question with an Aldi chainsaw. Chances are something else is going to break before the engine wears out, but still... you never know.

John l
John lasked
54.6cc Chainsaw (Apr 2017)

Where can I buy a new bar for a Aldi 54.6 chainsaw?

Vkoio4

I don't know, but Jono and Johno do carry spares for some Chinese-made saws, so you could try them and let us know here how you go: https://www.chainsawspares.com.au/

Chainsaw user

Bunnings will have one that fits

Tony
Tonyasked
Gardenline / Ferrex 45cc Chainsaw (Apr 2016, Oct 2016, Aug 2017, Sep 2018, Oct 2019)

I have a gardenline essentials 45cc chainsaw and i cannot get the starter cord to retract,could it be the spring in the starter system. And if so can you buy a new one?If there is no replacement spring can you get whole assembly,i have number inside the assembly which is PA6>GF30< and at what cost.
regards Tony...M

Ebay

rory w.
rory w.asked
Petrol Chainsaw

My chainsaw is hard to start and keeps cutting out , what would cause this to happen?

Chainsaw user

Google how to tune a chainsaw

Jeffery M.
Jeffery M.asked
Reviewer R.
Reviewer R.

Aldi

Peter S.
Peter S.asked
Gardenline / Ferrex 4-Stroke 47.1cc Chainsaw (Aug 2018, Aug 2019)

What is the valve clearance ,for future reference services

E.M.T
E.M.Tasked
Gardenline / Ferrex 4-Stroke 47.1cc Chainsaw (Aug 2018, Aug 2019)

how do we get the warranty? my machine didnt start when i took it out of the box. thanks

Michael N.
Michael N.asked
Gardenline 50cc Chainsaw (Aug 2011-2015)

How do I remove the chain drive sprocket wheel to access and seal the panel screwed onto side of oil tank to stop the chain oil leaking out?

Derek J.
Derek J.asked
Petrol Chainsaw

what is fuel/oil mix ratio?

40:1

Lynne S.
Lynne S.asked
Petrol Chainsaw

The chain bar on the chain sure is locked on and we can’t tighten the chain either

Petendel
Petendelasked
Ferrex / Gardenline 53cc Chainsaw (Mar 2018, Mar 2019, Mar 2020)

Hi Guys

Have a 4 stroke model purchased May last year. It won't run and seems to starved of fuel. Primer button only draws air. It leaks petrol when vertical with handle down. Broken Capillary? Has done about 10 hours work. Next step? Location is near Melbourne metro area.

Chainsaw user

In the manual it should have a number to call for after sales support, they’ll be able to service and repair it

William Anderson
William Andersonasked
jason h.
jason h.asked
Petrol Chainsaw

Does anyone know where to get a chainbar tensioner for the ferrex 50cc chainsaw??

Pat R.asked
Petrol Chainsaw

My Gardenline 41cc chainsaw is leaking petrol when turned on its side . Any answers?
Pat

Vkoio4

Pat, it's probably the fuel line having rotted as mine did. It can be replaced, although I had trouble finding an exact diameter match for it here in Oz. I had to use smaller stuff and make do, but it got mine up and running like a champ again. Good luck.

Pat R.

Thank you Vkoio4. Yes I opened the thing up and found the Fuel tank bung was out of place entirely ,so I cleaned it up and stuck it back with super glue. Also the oil tank bung was loose so it got repaired also. All working fine so far .. Fingers X 'd . it holds....Pat

Vkoio4

Well done Pat! If the superglue doesn't hold, I've had some patchy luck with using silicone in the past, but it doesn't particularly like petrol and oil.

phil
philasked
Vkoio4

Use the adjustment wheel on the side where the bar and chain are. It's the big round blob hanging off the side with gradations around its edge. You first loosen it by sliding the central arm thingy out with your thumb. This makes an extended lever that acts as a built-in spanner, and you can rotate the arm counter-clockwise to loosen the chain bar enough to allow it to move - but not too much or the bar will come off. Then click the outer rim of the wheel around clockwise (it's on a ratchet, so it only turns clockwise unless you pull the little ratchet device out of the way). Turning the wheel clockwise will tighten the chain. Don't overdo it. You want a bit of slack in the chain. Once you have it adjusted right, tighten the built-in spanner arm again by rotating it clockwise, nice and tight, then slide the arm back into place.

Mark K.
Mark K.asked
Petrol Chainsaw

what type of oil should I use to mix with petrol in chainsaw

Mike O.
Mike O.

You can just use engine oil
Some use used.
Allededegly bespoke chainsaw oil is better, stickier?
I've used both. Only difference is on my wallet

Mark K.
Mark K.asked
Petrol Chainsaw

what type of oil to use to mix with petrol

Paulnasked
Gardenline / Ferrex 4-Stroke 47.1cc Chainsaw (Aug 2018, Aug 2019)

I like using my garden line chainsaw. I have not needed to use it regularly, just a few times. However, When I recently used it it would not pump fuel using the bulb. It was always easy to start but now it's almost impossible. When it does start it does not run properly or go for very long - a few seconds. How do I get it repaired or what do I do? It's still under warranty.

Vkoio4

The fuel line has probably rotted, like mine. It's poor quality tubing. If you open the fuel tank cap and fish around in there with a hooked bit of wire, you might even discover that the filter/weight has come loose with a length of fuel line. If not, the line could be split elsewhere. You can take it back under warranty and consign it to landfill. Otherwise, if you're handy, you can replace the fuel line pretty easily. Take a bit in to a mower shop so they can match it up and buy a piece. Thread it through the hole in the tank that the old line went through, to the carby at one end and with the bulb/weight on the other end inside the tank. You just need enough slack inside the tank so that the filter/weight can roll around freely and reach all corners of the tank. You can even buy fuel line on eBay. I think these saws use ~4.5mm outside diameter, maybe 2mm inside (but it's rubber so you can get away with slightly different sizing). Good luck!

Pauln

Hi Vkoio. Thanks for the advice. Yep, the fuel line was broken. But not the one with the weight. It was the hose that returns from the primer pump back to the tank. I replaced it with really good hose but it is still sucking only air through the primer bulb. I then tested the hoses by disconnecting the primer hose from the carb and connected straight to the inlet hose (weighted) and it it pumps correctly, so the fuel line works properly now. However, the problem remains: the carburettor seems to be leaking air into the system, so I'm concerned that the carb has a problem, and it won't run properly because of the lack of fuel. I don't want to take the carby apart as I suspect that there are no spares anyway. I think I'll take it to the service centre. Can anybody tell me what do they do there, repair or replace?

I.P. Daily
I.P. Daily

Why not simply contact Aldi if it is under warranty?

warren.harris.94
warren.harris.94asked
Petrol Chainsaw

How does i get the chain tightened?

Get an answer from our members and ALDI representatives

ALDI Petrol Chainsaw