MPN: 010-01750-11
See the Best Dash Cams in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for Garmin? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

• Readable Number PlatesYes (2) · No (2)
  • Video Quality
  • Battery Life
  • Audio Quality
  • Night-Time Video Quality
Davidhu
DavidhuGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

What a disaster

Worked OK for about 12 months, then the problems started, had to reset each time I started the car even after updating the program ?
Eventually Garmin admitted that it was faulty and offered to replace it with a reconditioned model, I sent it back as requested with Aust Post tracking, it was delivered to their facility on the 28th May. I have requested an update re replacement (3 e'mails) but no answers, just silence, very POOR PR.
I just wish that I had read the reviews before I bought this piece of junk

Purchased in June 2019 for $244.99.

Anthony T.
Anthony T.Canberra 2600, ACT

Software updates always cause problems, and some feature are useless.

Purchased in July 2018 at Gadget City for $239.00.

A Tired Customer
A Tired CustomerPerth, WA

Nice Brick

Had it one day, did Firmware upgrade via the App. It is now a brick.
No ability to recover from brick mode, wish I had read all the negative reviews first!

Purchased in August 2020 for $250.00.

William C
William CSouth East Queensland, QLD

Do not buy Garmin dash cam

Dash camera video quality is good. All Garmin dash cameras are advertised as having Bluetooth / wireless access via an app. This app is unusable. It will not locate an Android phone by Bluetooth. When it is located on an Apple device it refuses to download footage. These problems have been long term problems for Garmin an so far they have refused to rectify these problems. Subsequently if you choose to purchase a Garmin dash camera the claim of wireless access is false.

Purchased in March 2020 for $249.00.

Shadow
ShadowSydney, NSW

Refunded same day

I bought from jb hi fi
Went home to set up saved settings and soon as you power off and on loses the settings and will ask to set again and wont record .i did this few times and didnt work and got refund.
I thought garmin was good brand but at least cheaper brand i had lasted 6months
I will not buy garmin dash cam again.

Purchased in May 2019 at JB Hi-Fi Retail Stores for $200.00.

Ripped Off
Ripped OffSouth East Queensland, QLD

Absolute rubbish. Ive had this camera for 12months.. Ready to trash it and get something decent.

If you want to power this camera up using a standard USB cable..forget it. Garmin have used the fourth pin in their 12volt power supply to check the cable out. The Camera will not charge if you want to run multiple devices from your cig lighter/ 12 volt power supply. You are forced to use the proprietary Garmin car charging cable which allows for only one device to be plugged into the cig socket... One word..Lemon

Norman
NormanSydney Surrounds, NSW

I got a lemon

Out of the box voice control didn't even feature on the menu. Also it failed to pick up the satellite signal. Garmin took an average of about 2 full days to respond to the support requests, but every time they responded they wanted more information. It took two weeks and still no solution, still no offer of replacement, so I just sent it back and got a full refund. I don't know where the 5 star ratings came from - it certainly wasn't my experience with the product, or with Garmin support.

Daniel
DanielSouth East Queensland, QLD

Rubbish, at best.

So disappointed

I did lots of research before buying a Garmin 55 dash cam. Initially everything worked fine, then within 2 weeks the voice command stopped working. And things got worse from there. Now whenever I turn it on I have to go through all the steps to set it up. I've tried to restore it many times but it refuses to restore. I even tried running the battery flat in the hope of causing it to re-set. All to no avail.

And now the latest version of Garmin Express v6.9.1.0 will not open on my Mac nor on my PC laptop. I'm in the process of looking for a different dash cam. This one is for the garbage bin.

One of the worst products I have ever owned.

DavidSouth East Queensland, QLD

Disappointment with a star

Found this product difficult to operate and it only works with the supplied cable? So do not loose it. Operation is not that easy and Garmin support failing. Windscreen mount was good but expensive for a magnet if you want to install in two vehicles. Would suggest looking elsewhere. Selling my unit as a major disappointment

Regg
ReggSydney

This is the right dash cam...

So after days of research, going through all the other reviews, checking the price and actually testing the item, I think that the Garmin 55 is just the right dash cam for me! First of all, it works just as advertised, second, it actually exceeded my expectations as how easy it was to set up and running. Lastly, for the price, it has the features that actually should have been some premium added to it but they didn't so I got more value for my money.

Garry JArmidale

Don't Buy it!

This worked well for about 2 months then died. New replacement camera did exactly the same. Costly to send them back repeatedly for warranty, so out of pocket. I have many other garmin products, and won't be buying them again after this experience. Footage was ok, Parking mode function accessory cable required (costly) to access this feature, proprietary cables are a pain.

Neil39
Neil39Sydney, NSW

This has already saved my Insurance excess.

I am well and truly in front. I purchased the camera on points. The camera and features are great. Particularly the speed/red light warnings. I had a truck wipe out my wing mirror and the truck company later disputed the Insurance claim. I had it all on camera and they had no leg to stand on. The features on the 55 are better than the other camera(Garmin also) on my other car. It's a winner.

wollie591
wollie591

Outstanding Dash Cam

I recently purchased my Garmin dash cam 55, don't let the size fool you it is not much bigger than a box of matches but it packs a huge amount of useful features. Including forward collision alert, lane departure warning, red light and speed camera warning & voice control that allows you to take still images time lapse, video save, all you need to say is "hello Garmin" and a sub menu appears you just speak the one you want. It is that easy it also come with an 8gb card so you just plug and play, it has setting for centre left or right mounting whichever one you choose. It has a magnetic mount for easy removal and because of its size is not obstructive.

Phil R.
Phil R.asked
Dash Cam 55

No problems with the picture quality, the red light and speed camera work as they should but the lane departure is completely useless. Have had the camera exchanged for a new and both have been the same. Own a Mazda BT50 and it matters not a jot if I program the Garmin for high or low. Very disappointing.

Davidasked
Dash Cam 55

Why, why will it only work with the supplied cable? Had it for two months now and still can not get it to do anything? It keeps turning itself off? What a waste of money, for a supposedly good unit. Do you need to go to night school for six months to use it? Is there an online course?

Garry J

Sounds like mine....propriety cables I believe. Both mine used to work until they stopped completely and wouldn’t turn back on - poor batteries/charging management in my opinion.

David

Why do this? In the pursuit of extra profit they make a unit very ordinary to own and operate.

Compare all 7 Garmin Dash Cam
CategoryDash Cams
Screen Size 2"
Viewing Angle 122°
Camera Resolution1440p (Wide QHD)
Megapixels 3.7 MP
Channels 1
FeaturesForward Collision Warning, GPS, Lane Departure Warning, Microphone/Audio Recording, Motion Detection, Smartphone App, Voice Control and Wi-Fi
Memory TypeMicroSD card