MPN: 36459797

See the Best Dash Cams in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Don't trust Garmin

The Garmin 50 started out as a reasonable GPS; but then try and update the maps and it became a $50 piece of junk. The voice command feature just would not work no matter what I tried. Just said the feature was unavailable in Canada in American English. A check of the Garmin Website was a joke. There was a problem with the update a year ago, which Garmin said they would fix, but after a year it is still not working correctly. I have had several GPS over the years since it first came out, and found Garmin to be the worst, with very sad customer relations. My personal advice to anyone looking to buy a GPS, do not buy a GARMIN. The one I have is just a basic $50 piece of junk with no redeeming features. Again do not buy a GARMIN.

Serious navigation issues

I like everything about this unit (voice controlling included) except it’s ability to navigate effectively. On the first day I bought it, it sent me to a dead end less than 400m away from my home. The other two problem areas I have found is that it gives very inaccurate directions when it comes to sealed roads. If I choose to avoid unsealed roads it will still direct me to unsealed roads. This inaccuracy becomes a safety issue in my opinion and Garmin should rectify this. Also when it comes to tunnels it’s presentation of routes gets very confusing and I have found without exception that if I use the gps to direct me I will always go the wrong way. Everything else about the unit works well. I’m happy with the voice command functionality.

Good GPS with some oppertunities to improve

Overall
Using this for more than 18 months now. Happy with the product and functions. Didn't have GPS signal issues in City area compared to the other GPS I used before.

Pors
Map navigation is smooth, Map zooming function is good.
Live incident and traffic information very accurate. Estimated time is reasonably correct.
Receive most of the map updates within a few months.
Dashcam is good enough to cater for basic needs.
Keypad and touch screen is responsive
Search POI by category is good. Very useful

Cons
Good to show few options and allow the driver to select (Example: Shortest, Fastest, Economy Route)
Dashcam is not good enough in the night.
Sometimes it recommends small alternative routes when the free highway is closer by and no incidents reported.
Map update is not smooth (Some occasions have to do it more than ones to get it correct)
Good to have a simple way to pin the current location and save it.

Inaccurate maps

The biggest problem is that despite maintaining updates, the maps are horribly inaccurate. It is very frustrating getting instructions that youhave no confidence in. Errors mainly in the route choice. It is a problem in old established road networks, not just recent changes. I will go back to a Tomtom prod t.

Terrible unit!

I had this unit for 2 weeks and returned it. As a dash cam it was good, but not great; as a GPS, it was OK, but not good. The accuracy was horrible: it would say to turn 50 metres too late; it would say I still had 30 metres to go to my destination when I was already there; it would say a school zone was approaching in 200 metres when I was already 3/4 of the way through! The lane departure warning mostly didn't work, I would get forward collision warnings when there were no other vehicles around, The mapping would show non-existent roads, fuel stations in paddocks and wrong speed limits. I also paid an additional $40 subscription for safety cameras and yet it didn't pick up a single camera! I have a Garmin Nuvi 3590 that is now 5 years old and that's easily still the best unit I've ever owned. As a professional driver I update my GPS units yearly but I will definitely be hesitant of buying another Garmin. Very disappointing.