51 LMT-S, 50 LMT
See the Best GPS Navigation Systems in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for Garmin? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

• Readable Number PlatesYes (2) · No (1)
  • Video Quality
  • GPS Location Accuracy
Neil H.
Neil H.South East Queensland, QLD

Horrible

I hate it! I've had it now for approx 5 years now and every update is a nervous time waiting for it to work or not. Today was or not

Grant ArmstrongGippsland, VIC

Final Follow Up

Purchased at Johnny Appleseed GPS Physical store for $420.00.

Wasteknot
WasteknotSydney, NSW

Failed after 4 months.

What is more annoying than a brand new and expensive device failing after only 4 months?
I purchased a Garmin DriveAssist51 in August, it was working well but it stopped functioning correctly today at 8.30am. Now it is stuck in a weird initializing loop and half a day of troubleshooting and searching online for answers have achieved ZILCH !!!! PLUS: If there is a fix out there somewhere it should not be this hard to find it!
At this point in time I would not & will not ever recommend a Garmin device to anyone.

Purchased in August 2019.

MisterRareSteak
MisterRareSteakMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

No map updates, poor routing, dangerous

GPS Navigation Systems

Find out how Garmin DriveAssist compares to other GPS Navigation Systems

Paul
PaulSouth East Queensland, QLD

Cheap piece of Rubbish

Purchased in May 2018 at Ryda.com.

Don't trust Garmin

The Garmin 50 started out as a reasonable GPS; but then try and update the maps and it became a $50 piece of junk. The voice command feature just would not work no matter what I tried. Just said the feature was unavailable in Canada in American English. A check of the Garmin Website was a joke. There was a problem with the update a year ago, which Garmin said they would fix, but after a year it is still not working correctly. I have had several GPS over the years since it first came out, and found Garmin to be the worst, with very sad customer relations. My personal advice to anyone looking to buy a GPS, do not buy a GARMIN. The one I have is just a basic $50 piece of junk with no redeeming features. Again do not buy a GARMIN.

Do Not buy this

I bought this pricey model because of the extra features like blue tooth working with the phone. However, this feature did not work very well. When I called Garmin they sent me a refurbished model even though I just bought the new one. Then the refurbished one worked worse than the original one.

Nuts
NutsMelbourne

Terrible unit!

Walt D.
Walt D.asked
DriveAssist 51 LMT-S

Can the GTM-25 traffic Cable be used with the Drive 51?

Jason S.
Jason S.asked
DriveAssist 51 LMT-S

Is there a way to mount this with a dash mount so that the dash cam can see the road? I heard that some of the garmin's allow you to flip the indentation to the other side? Or if you turn it upside down will the screen flip like a phone?

Ericasked
DriveAssist

DriveAssist 51 LMT-HD I've been having an ongoing problem with my screen shutting off all by itself. Sometimes it tries to reboot...gets just passed the restart info and shuts down again, and this can go on all day. Other times the screen just goes blank but I can hear the unit still functioning (moved out of lane etc.). I can unplug the unit from the vehicle power source and it tells me exterior power source disconnected and the countdown to shutdown starts. If I plug it back in the screen comes back to life until it all starts over again. Garmin support just says they've never heard of the unit just shutting down randomly.
I've ordered another battery wondering if maybe there's something wrong with the battery and the GPS isn't actually running on vehicle power but the battery and the vehicle power is just charging the battery.
Its exhausting because other than this I like this DriveAssit 51 features. Though I wish it had the estimated arrival time my older Garmin GPS has.

Eric

Oh, and I have set the screen shutoff time when on battery power to Never.

Hi Eric,

I had the same problem as you are experiencing but on my unit; it started within a few weeks after I purchased it brand new. My problem was that I live well over 100 kms from the shop I bought it at, and could not get back there. The problem kept recurring over and over; every few weeks. I contacted Johnny Appleseed in Melbourne where I purchased this piece of garbage, and all they could tell me was to bring the unit in. My problem was that I had a Heart Attack whilst this piece of trash was still under warranty and underwent a Triple By Pass. I was out of action for 8 months. I contacted the seller to say that I was incapacitated and they told me to bring it in when I was mobile again. Mine had run out of warranty by a poofteenth. I had computer techs near where I lived look at the 51 LMT and they all advised me that the software in the Garmin was corrupted. I took it back to Johnny Appleseed in Melbourne, where they too found it impossible to down load and update the software. The Brisbane Head Office of Johnny Appleseed advised me that if the Unit could not be fixed, Garmin would refund the cost of the unit or replace it without charge. Garmin however had other ideas. Garmin advised that they would NOT refund or replace the Unit, but said that they would sell me another unit. Bollocks to that. I had purchased and used 2 previous Garmin units, and this 51 LMT was by far; the worst I have ever encountered.
I since purchased Google Maps software for my iPhone 11 for $4.95, and it works a treat. I will never again buy any garmin product. Garmin is garbage! PS. My problem had nothing to do with the battery on my unit.

Compare both Garmin DriveAssist
Garmin DriveAssist 50 LMT
  • Discontinued

Garmin DriveAssist 50 LMT

2.2
CategoryDash Cams and GPS Navigation SystemsDash Cams and GPS Navigation Systems
Screen Size 5"
Channels 1
FeaturesAutomatic Incident Detection (G-sensor), Bluetooth, Forward Collision Warning, GPS, Lane Departure Warning, Motion Detection, Smartphone App, Voice Control and Wi-Fi
Battery life30 minutes
Weight191.4 g
Dimensions 35 x 55 x 8 mm
Display TypeVGA
ConnectivityBluetooth
Battery Life0.5 hours
Weight191.4 kg
Manufacturer Warranty1 year(s)1 year(s)
Compare both Garmin DriveAssist