51 LMT-S, 50 LMT
See the Best GPS Navigation Systems in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for Garmin? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

• Video Quality
  • GPS Location Accuracy
Bergs
BergsMid North Coast, NSW

Very Good GPS/Dash Cam, with a few annoying short comings

Purchased in August 2019 at JB Hi-Fi for $369.00.

mcalexy2k
mcalexy2kSydney, NSW

Good GPS with some oppertunities to improve

Walt D.
Walt D.asked
DriveAssist 51 LMT-S

Can the GTM-25 traffic Cable be used with the Drive 51?

Jason S.
Jason S.asked
DriveAssist 51 LMT-S

Is there a way to mount this with a dash mount so that the dash cam can see the road? I heard that some of the garmin's allow you to flip the indentation to the other side? Or if you turn it upside down will the screen flip like a phone?

Ericasked
DriveAssist

DriveAssist 51 LMT-HD I've been having an ongoing problem with my screen shutting off all by itself. Sometimes it tries to reboot...gets just passed the restart info and shuts down again, and this can go on all day. Other times the screen just goes blank but I can hear the unit still functioning (moved out of lane etc.). I can unplug the unit from the vehicle power source and it tells me exterior power source disconnected and the countdown to shutdown starts. If I plug it back in the screen comes back to life until it all starts over again. Garmin support just says they've never heard of the unit just shutting down randomly.
I've ordered another battery wondering if maybe there's something wrong with the battery and the GPS isn't actually running on vehicle power but the battery and the vehicle power is just charging the battery.
Its exhausting because other than this I like this DriveAssit 51 features. Though I wish it had the estimated arrival time my older Garmin GPS has.

Eric

Oh, and I have set the screen shutoff time when on battery power to Never.

Grant Armstrong
Grant Armstrong

Hi Eric,

I had the same problem as you are experiencing but on my unit; it started within a few weeks after I purchased it brand new. My problem was that I live well over 100 kms from the shop I bought it at, and could not get back there. The problem kept recurring over and over; every few weeks. I contacted Johnny Appleseed in Melbourne where I purchased this piece of garbage, and all they could tell me was to bring the unit in. My problem was that I had a Heart Attack whilst this piece of trash was still under warranty and underwent a Triple By Pass. I was out of action for 8 months. I contacted the seller to say that I was incapacitated and they told me to bring it in when I was mobile again. Mine had run out of warranty by a poofteenth. I had computer techs near where I lived look at the 51 LMT and they all advised me that the software in the Garmin was corrupted. I took it back to Johnny Appleseed in Melbourne, where they too found it impossible to down load and update the software. The Brisbane Head Office of Johnny Appleseed advised me that if the Unit could not be fixed, Garmin would refund the cost of the unit or replace it without charge. Garmin however had other ideas. Garmin advised that they would NOT refund or replace the Unit, but said that they would sell me another unit. Bollocks to that. I had purchased and used 2 previous Garmin units, and this 51 LMT was by far; the worst I have ever encountered.
I since purchased Google Maps software for my iPhone 11 for $4.95, and it works a treat. I will never again buy any garmin product. Garmin is garbage! PS. My problem had nothing to do with the battery on my unit.

Compare both Garmin DriveAssist
Garmin DriveAssist 50 LMT
  • Discontinued

Garmin DriveAssist 50 LMT

2.2
CategoryDash Cams and GPS Navigation SystemsDash Cams and GPS Navigation Systems
Screen Size 5"
Channels 1
FeaturesAutomatic Incident Detection (G-sensor), Bluetooth, Forward Collision Warning, GPS, Lane Departure Warning, Motion Detection, Smartphone App, Voice Control and Wi-Fi
Battery life30 minutes
Weight191.4 g
Dimensions 35 x 55 x 8 mm
Display TypeVGA
ConnectivityBluetooth
Battery Life0.5 hours
Weight191.4 kg
Manufacturer Warranty1 year(s)1 year(s)
Compare both Garmin DriveAssist