61 LMT-S, 51 LMT-S
See the Best GPS Navigation Systems in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for Garmin? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

• Battery Life
  • Route Choice
  • GPS Location Accuracy
Corey
CoreyAspley

Navigation and customer service is very disappointing

Purchased in October 2018 for $420.00.

Cant find home

I have lived at my current address for 13 years.When I enter my address,it replies that it cant be found.After 13 years and many map updates,It still cant find me.

Purchased in July 2019 at Canadian Tire for $300.00.

John Sowle
John SowleMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Terrible user features

Cannot remove direction banner, speed camera alert shrinks before reaching the camera. Cannot turn off school alerts or any of the other alerts, despite there being a setting to do so. FPS rate on camera gives jittery playback. Wish i had reviewed it before i bought it. I live near a school,and so does my girlfriend, so the school alerts go off, non stop even in the driveways.

Purchased in March 2020 for $495.00.

DRCSydney
DRCSydneySydney, NSW

Garmin 51 LMT-S is not fit for purpose

I've had this Garmin for two years and tested it through much of Sydney, particularly in places I know well. It finds maddening routes from one place to another (eg back streets instead of direct routes); the pronunciation of street names is often ridiculous (eg River Road West is River Request); even on straightforward routes it does unnecessary diversions (eg heading south on Burns Bay Rd from Lane Cove to Drummoyne it takes me up the ramp to Church Street, Hunters Hill, then back down the ramp on the southern side to rejoin the main road). It has to be one of the worst products I've ever purchased.

Purchased in February 2018 at Johnny Appleseed GPS Physical store for $199.00.

GPS Navigation Systems

Find out how Garmin DriveSmart 51 / 61 LMT-S compares to other GPS Navigation Systems

Garmin Drive 61 at least works - unlike the Navman My690 which didn't

My previous Garmin Nuvi lasted for many years without issues so I'm hoping this model is as good. No problems at all with charging, as opposed to the Navman which kept losing charge and refusing to turn on for no explicable reason (even though it was always connected to the car's charger). It's too soon to give a detailed review of the Garmin Drive but so far so good.

Purchased in November 2019 at JB Hifi Home for $149.00.

LorenC

It's still going well - April 2021. No problems at all.

Duncan
DuncanMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Absolutely the worst

Purchased in December 2015 for $350.00.

David L.
David L.South East Queensland, QLD

Piece of Junk

Purchased in September 2019 for $279.00.

jb4105
jb4105Downer 2602, ACT

in Hindsight Not my best purchase

First problem I noticed the 12v lighter plug means I can have no other device in use at the same time. So cannot charge my phone if required. I could use the USB plug provided with my two plug port but the cord is too short.
The maps have taken me in the wrong direction and also wanted me to make a right turn onto a road with only a left turn. The pronunciation of street names and suburbs needs a big improvement. Yesterday it told me I was going the wrong way in a one way street I drive down every week. Also every time I drive I have to agree to drive safely.

Purchased in May 2019 at JB Hi-Fi for $200.00.

Unable to load pois, for campsites, giving it untill next , if it cant be sorted then its on ebay

Can not load pois, have tried every way to do it poi loaders club loaders file transfer you name it I have tried. Unfortunately garmin accept no responsibility. It mostly crashes on no usb connection, yet have tried all sub modes in catorgaries

Purchased in June 2019 at JB Hifi Home for $239.00.

GPS Navigation Systems

Complicated to setup and, apparently, no capacity for the "lifetime free maps updates"

Purchased in September 2018.

Ruthie
RuthieHolt 2615, ACT

saving my history

I have had previous Navman GPS and have been able to go into my past history of the last few months. This one doesnt seem to have the facility for this. I need this service and use it constantly

Purchased in January 2019 for $300.00.

John D
John DSoutheast, SA

Really like it.

Steve
SteveSydney, NSW

Ok, but I had to return it

It’s a good basic GPS, but I had to return as one basic feature missing surprisingly. You can’t turn off voice directions and still hear notifications of going over speed limit or upcoming, strange as I had this on a Tom Tom 10 years ago, even the free Waze has this, It’s all audio on or all off, just not useable for my needs.

ThePeoplesChamp
ThePeoplesChampCanberra Central 2601, ACT

Garmin DriveSmart 51 LMT is unreliable garbage.

Purchased in May 2016 for $300.00.

John13
John13Perth, WA

Overrated and overstated with many hidden shortfalls.