61 LMT-S, 51 LMT-S
See the Best GPS Navigation Systems in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for Garmin? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

• Battery Life
  • Route Choice
  • GPS Location Accuracy
Corey
CoreyAspley

Navigation and customer service is very disappointing

Purchased in October 2018 for $420.00.

Cant find home

I have lived at my current address for 13 years.When I enter my address,it replies that it cant be found.After 13 years and many map updates,It still cant find me.

Purchased in July 2019 at Canadian Tire for $300.00.

John Sowle
John SowleMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Terrible user features

Cannot remove direction banner, speed camera alert shrinks before reaching the camera. Cannot turn off school alerts or any of the other alerts, despite there being a setting to do so. FPS rate on camera gives jittery playback. Wish i had reviewed it before i bought it. I live near a school,and so does my girlfriend, so the school alerts go off, non stop even in the driveways.

Purchased in March 2020 for $495.00.

DRCSydney
DRCSydneySydney, NSW

Garmin 51 LMT-S is not fit for purpose

I've had this Garmin for two years and tested it through much of Sydney, particularly in places I know well. It finds maddening routes from one place to another (eg back streets instead of direct routes); the pronunciation of street names is often ridiculous (eg River Road West is River Request); even on straightforward routes it does unnecessary diversions (eg heading south on Burns Bay Rd from Lane Cove to Drummoyne it takes me up the ramp to Church Street, Hunters Hill, then back down the ramp on the southern side to rejoin the main road). It has to be one of the worst products I've ever purchased.

Purchased in February 2018 at Johnny Appleseed GPS Physical store for $199.00.

GPS Navigation Systems

Find out how Garmin DriveSmart 51 / 61 LMT-S compares to other GPS Navigation Systems

Duncan
DuncanMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Absolutely the worst

Purchased in December 2015 for $350.00.

David L.
David L.South East Queensland, QLD

Piece of Junk

Purchased in September 2019 for $279.00.

jb4105
jb4105Downer 2602, ACT

in Hindsight Not my best purchase

First problem I noticed the 12v lighter plug means I can have no other device in use at the same time. So cannot charge my phone if required. I could use the USB plug provided with my two plug port but the cord is too short.
The maps have taken me in the wrong direction and also wanted me to make a right turn onto a road with only a left turn. The pronunciation of street names and suburbs needs a big improvement. Yesterday it told me I was going the wrong way in a one way street I drive down every week. Also every time I drive I have to agree to drive safely.

Purchased in May 2019 at JB Hi-Fi for $200.00.

Unable to load pois, for campsites, giving it untill next , if it cant be sorted then its on ebay

Can not load pois, have tried every way to do it poi loaders club loaders file transfer you name it I have tried. Unfortunately garmin accept no responsibility. It mostly crashes on no usb connection, yet have tried all sub modes in catorgaries

Purchased in June 2019 at JB Hifi Home for $239.00.

Peter b7
Peter b7Perth, WA

Very good except it keeps rebooting continuously at startup & sometimes when driving.

I discovered if you disconnect the vehicle power after use & then when needed start Garmin on it's internal battery by pressing the back power button & then connect vehicle power to the Garmin it works fine & does not continually reboot itself.

Purchased in February 2019 at eBay.

GPS Navigation Systems

Complicated to setup and, apparently, no capacity for the "lifetime free maps updates"

Purchased in September 2018.

Col W.Torrens 2607, ACT

Miner problems

Overall the product is very good but I do have some issues or corrections (which I will also raise with Garmin), after a 3000km trip in country and outback areas.
*A caravan park I was looking for was not listed.
*Petrol pump icon is used for Truck Stops and Rest areas where there is NO petrol. If you search for the nearest petrol it will also list these places as the nearest location.
*Entrance to a caravan park 500m in the wrong place which you could miss subsequently forcing a u turn on a busy road.
*Plotted a 229km route in the outback when the shortest distance was 129km.
Otherwise it worked well everywhere on my trip.

Purchased in April 2017 at Johnny Appleseed GPS Online store for $600.00.

Col W.

I should add that Garmin support is pretty mediocre, and it seems impossible to contact them by email to offer any suggestions that could I prove the product. It seems the only way to contact them is by phone.

Ruthie
RuthieHolt 2615, ACT

saving my history

I have had previous Navman GPS and have been able to go into my past history of the last few months. This one doesnt seem to have the facility for this. I need this service and use it constantly

Purchased in January 2019 for $300.00.

Chris May
Chris MayGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Great reliable unit. But just tell yourself - it is only a GPS

Gaela and Russell
Gaela and RussellCentral Highlands and Goldfields, VIC

So good we bought 2

Mapping has proven accurate thus far (albeit with limited use). We have both the 6" and 7" models as the windscreen is further away in one car and they replace a Navman S80 that is going to the 3rd vehicle and a Tom Tom GO 720 that got drowned.

The navigation menus are somewhat easier to use than either of those, the turn by turn function is handy and the large displays make reading at a glance easy.

The mounts look solid (especially compared to the Tom Tom) and seem to hold better even in hot weather.

Peter
PeterWA, 6169

Reliable Garmin model but read carefully extra features