61 LMT-S, 51 LMT-S

• GPS Location Accuracy
DRCSydney

DRCSydneySydney, NSW

Garmin 51 LMT-S is not fit for purpose

I've had this Garmin for two years and tested it through much of Sydney, particularly in places I know well. It finds maddening routes from one place to another (eg back streets instead of direct routes); the pronunciation of street names is often ridiculous (eg River Road West is River Request); even on straightforward routes it does unnecessary diversions (eg heading south on Burns Bay Rd from Lane Cove to Drummoyne it takes me up the ramp to Church Street, Hunters Hill, then back down the ramp on the southern side to rejoin the main road). It has to be one of the worst products I've ever purchased.

Purchased in February 2018 at Johnny Appleseed GPS Physical store for $199.00.

Garmin Drive 61 at least works - unlike the Navman My690 which didn't

My previous Garmin Nuvi lasted for many years without issues so I'm hoping this model is as good. No problems at all with charging, as opposed to the Navman which kept losing charge and refusing to turn on for no explicable reason (even though it was always connected to the car's charger). It's too soon to give a detailed review of the Garmin Drive but so far so good.

Purchased in November 2019 at JB Hifi Home for $149.00.

LorenC

It's still going well - April 2021. No problems at all.

jb4105Downer 2602, ACT

in Hindsight Not my best purchase

First problem I noticed the 12v lighter plug means I can have no other device in use at the same time. So cannot charge my phone if required. I could use the USB plug provided with my two plug port but the cord is too short.
The maps have taken me in the wrong direction and also wanted me to make a right turn onto a road with only a left turn. The pronunciation of street names and suburbs needs a big improvement. Yesterday it told me I was going the wrong way in a one way street I drive down every week. Also every time I drive I have to agree to drive safely.

Purchased in May 2019 at JB Hi-Fi for $200.00.

GPS Navigation Systems

Find out how Garmin DriveSmart 51 / 61 LMT-S compares to other GPS Navigation Systems

Complicated to setup and, apparently, no capacity for the "lifetime free maps updates"

Purchased in September 2018.

Ruthie

RuthieHolt 2615, ACT

saving my history

I have had previous Navman GPS and have been able to go into my past history of the last few months. This one doesnt seem to have the facility for this. I need this service and use it constantly

Purchased in January 2019 for $300.00.

John D

John DSoutheast, SA

Really like it.

Steve

SteveSydney, NSW

Ok, but I had to return it

It’s a good basic GPS, but I had to return as one basic feature missing surprisingly. You can’t turn off voice directions and still hear notifications of going over speed limit or upcoming, strange as I had this on a Tom Tom 10 years ago, even the free Waze has this, It’s all audio on or all off, just not useable for my needs.

Baz

BazForrestfield

A big disappointment.

The find gas station feature is a joke. Crossing the nullarbor where fuel is only avail every 300 kms or so the garmin keeps telling me fuel is avail at truck stops. These are usually a small gravel parking are with a rubbish bin. When I tried to put in Nundroo where fuel is available it could not find it. Tried Nullarbor roadhouse which was about 60 k ahead and was told it was 500 plus k behind me. No where near as good as my old tomtom. Could lead inexperienced travelers into big trouble.

See all Garmin DriveSmart 51 / 61 LMT-S reviews