61 LMT-S, 51 LMT-S

• GPS Location Accuracy
DRCSydney

DRCSydneySydney, NSW

Garmin 51 LMT-S is not fit for purpose

I've had this Garmin for two years and tested it through much of Sydney, particularly in places I know well. It finds maddening routes from one place to another (eg back streets instead of direct routes); the pronunciation of street names is often ridiculous (eg River Road West is River Request); even on straightforward routes it does unnecessary diversions (eg heading south on Burns Bay Rd from Lane Cove to Drummoyne it takes me up the ramp to Church Street, Hunters Hill, then back down the ramp on the southern side to rejoin the main road). It has to be one of the worst products I've ever purchased.

Purchased in February 2018 at Johnny Appleseed GPS Physical store for $199.00.

jb4105Downer 2602, ACT

in Hindsight Not my best purchase

First problem I noticed the 12v lighter plug means I can have no other device in use at the same time. So cannot charge my phone if required. I could use the USB plug provided with my two plug port but the cord is too short.
The maps have taken me in the wrong direction and also wanted me to make a right turn onto a road with only a left turn. The pronunciation of street names and suburbs needs a big improvement. Yesterday it told me I was going the wrong way in a one way street I drive down every week. Also every time I drive I have to agree to drive safely.

Purchased in May 2019 at JB Hi-Fi for $200.00.

Peter b7

Peter b7Perth, WA

Very good except it keeps rebooting continuously at startup & sometimes when driving.

I discovered if you disconnect the vehicle power after use & then when needed start Garmin on it's internal battery by pressing the back power button & then connect vehicle power to the Garmin it works fine & does not continually reboot itself.

Purchased in February 2019 at eBay.

GPS Navigation Systems

Find out how Garmin DriveSmart 51 / 61 LMT-S compares to other GPS Navigation Systems

Complicated to setup and, apparently, no capacity for the "lifetime free maps updates"

Purchased in September 2018.

Col W.Torrens 2607, ACT

Miner problems

Overall the product is very good but I do have some issues or corrections (which I will also raise with Garmin), after a 3000km trip in country and outback areas.
*A caravan park I was looking for was not listed.
*Petrol pump icon is used for Truck Stops and Rest areas where there is NO petrol. If you search for the nearest petrol it will also list these places as the nearest location.
*Entrance to a caravan park 500m in the wrong place which you could miss subsequently forcing a u turn on a busy road.
*Plotted a 229km route in the outback when the shortest distance was 129km.
Otherwise it worked well everywhere on my trip.

Purchased in April 2017 at Johnny Appleseed GPS Online store for $600.00.

Col W.

I should add that Garmin support is pretty mediocre, and it seems impossible to contact them by email to offer any suggestions that could I prove the product. It seems the only way to contact them is by phone.

Ruthie

RuthieHolt 2615, ACT

saving my history

I have had previous Navman GPS and have been able to go into my past history of the last few months. This one doesnt seem to have the facility for this. I need this service and use it constantly

Purchased in January 2019 for $300.00.

Chris May

Chris MayGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Great reliable unit. But just tell yourself - it is only a GPS

Gaela and Russell

Gaela and RussellCentral Highlands and Goldfields, VIC

So good we bought 2

Mapping has proven accurate thus far (albeit with limited use). We have both the 6" and 7" models as the windscreen is further away in one car and they replace a Navman S80 that is going to the 3rd vehicle and a Tom Tom GO 720 that got drowned.

The navigation menus are somewhat easier to use than either of those, the turn by turn function is handy and the large displays make reading at a glance easy.

The mounts look solid (especially compared to the Tom Tom) and seem to hold better even in hot weather.

Peter

PeterWA, 6169

Reliable Garmin model but read carefully extra features

Hans Ignals

Hans Ignals

Overall, pretty good, but POI data inaccurate

Maps are fine, although they cannot be completely up to date every time there’s an update.
Easy to install, bought a reversing camera to go with it, which is pretty useful. However the warning message at the bottom of the screen obscures the view of my tow ball which is handy when connecting a trailer. The warning should be at the top of the screen out of the way.
Much of the POI data is wrong. Schools showing up that were closed down many years ago. Petrol stations listed at private home addresses, in newsagents, rest areas, and places where there are no petrol stations. Railroad crossings show up even though the railway was dismantled and no longer operational.
Quality of sound when using Bluetooth phone connection is mediocre.

Kev H

Kev HSouth East Queensland, QLD

Good Value

Garmin excellence again

Also fitted to Range Rover. Excellent for long trip planning due to large number of waypoints that can be stored. LR unit only stores 5 waypoints. Maps great but off road coverage is poor to hopeless.
Voice command is average. Overall though is great GPS and is my fourth Garmin unit. I think off-road maps can be purchased from Garmin.

Notoca

NotocaPerth, WA

So Far So Good

wedgetail

wedgetailClunes

Ideal for what I need

Updated to the Garmin Drive smart 61 LMT-6 Got it at a competitive price from Harvey Normans. Good quick response when activated, nice large easily readable screen, clear voice command, easy to install very pleased with the devise. Following needs improvement, the supposed gas stations are invariably non existent, the speed zones are often incorrect. Apparently this is common in most name gps`s as they install the same map apps, despite these " issues " I am happy with the overall performance of the device. Word of warning device is NOT compatible with (hard wiring) direct to battery, causes malfunction !!!
Regards Wedge Tail

Baz

BazForrestfield

A big disappointment.

The find gas station feature is a joke. Crossing the nullarbor where fuel is only avail every 300 kms or so the garmin keeps telling me fuel is avail at truck stops. These are usually a small gravel parking are with a rubbish bin. When I tried to put in Nundroo where fuel is available it could not find it. Tried Nullarbor roadhouse which was about 60 k ahead and was told it was 500 plus k behind me. No where near as good as my old tomtom. Could lead inexperienced travelers into big trouble.

GPS Navigation Systems

Great product - could be better

See all Garmin DriveSmart 51 / 61 LMT-S reviews