Garmin eTrex 20

3 questions from our users

Peter

Peterasked

eTrex 20

How accurate is this unit, the reason for my question is that I have recently used a Garmin 760 which I believe must be faulty as compared to my old Navman n40i which is accurate to about 5metres the 760s' accuracy co-ordinate when transferred to a map was out by as much as 500metres?!?!

Hi Peter
I can only speak for the eTrex 20 unit, but I had the same issue when manually inputting GPS lat/long coordinates to my unit and downloading to the Basecamp program on my PC. While the data from my eTrex was spot on, the downloaded coordinates on Basecamp were out by as much as 600m (when compared against known landmarks). After an email to Garmin (which I received no reply) and tinkering with the settings on Basecamp and the unit this seems to have resolved the issue. Check the position format settings (under set up->Position Format on your unit) to ensure the GPS unit and Basecamp are the same (ie hddd°mm'ss.s") and that the map datum is the same (I use GDA 94). This seems to have resolved the issue. Hope this helps... :)

Using Basecamp, click on edit->options and under Position select Lat/Long hddd°mm'ss.s". Under Datum click GDA. Hope this helps.

Ben Bloom

Ben Bloomasked

eTrex 20

I want to use a GPS to mark out paddocks on my farm.
Can the Garmin eTrex Handheld GPS be used to measure areas paced out in farm paddocks.
Also if topo maps are installed can heights be identified?

Hi Ben.
With regards to marking out paddocks, it has an area calculation feature which allows you to pace out boundaries to work out areas. It is extremely accurate.
The topo maps also have heights and contour lines similar to a normal paper map, however I never travel without paper maps as back up as the screen size is very small. If you're going bush I highly recommend taking maps for the area and spare batteries (Alkaline) as you'd be lucky to get 24 hours from a set of AA batteries. As I said I use it for camping and it is yet to let me down. Best $200 I have spent. Happy trails :)

Robert Wilson

Robert Wilsonasked

eTrex 20

Where is the nearest store to Darwin Northern Territory?

Not sure as I'm in Perth and bought mine online on Ebay. I think they also sell them at BCF and Anaconda.