Garmin eTrex

15 questions from our users

Peter S

Peter Sasked

eTrex 30

Jab mine for about 6 years now , love it . But all the rudder housing is falling apart can this be fixed?

Mick
Mick

sorry peter s I have no idea if the rubber housing could be fixed?!?!

johnnyk
johnnyk

I called Garmin Australia regarding this problem, they offered me a refurbished same unit for about half price, with 12month warranty but what's the point if the same thing will happen again in 4 or 5 years time, so I just stuck some grey gaffa tape over the buttons works good as gold, for now, anyway. just don't drop it in water. great unit apart from the rubber deterioration

bill68
bill68

Yes, the rubber will perish, generally over the side buttons most used, it is possible to purchase a silicone cover on Ebay for a few dollars (ex China) that protects the original rubber if used early, or if the buttons are already damaged, will protect the repair job quite well. My first unit (now a spare) has had this treatment.
Note that with the silicone cover on, the unit cannot be fitted into the RAM holder (if used).

Simon R

Simon Rasked

eTrex 30x

When I try to plan a route, it first asks for country. Without letting me select uk, it goes straight to Germany or Netherlands. Why no uk?

Julie Inglis

Julie Inglisasked

eTrex 10

Does it do both GPS and grid reference?

Mamta S

Mamta Sasked

eTrex 10

Why My etrex show "there is no area track"?

laxmanasked

Hi ,
Iam Laxman From Jaipur(Pink City) Jaipur .
1). would like to know can Garmin Etrex 10 be a good choice for geological survey what is the variation range for coordinates compared to other devices. which would be the best option for geological survey besides this at reasonable rate.
2)How to Callibrate Etrex 10 .

skids

Hiya, Unfortunately I can not be of help to you with your question. I only use the unit for GeoCaching and under normal use it gets me within a few meters of the co ordinates. The usual interference applies though with cloud cover, buildings, power cable and trees.

laxman

Thanks a lot Hiya for the response .

Tman

Tmanasked

Require help
Which model would suit marking points in a swamp?
I need to mark the line in the swamp paddling in with my kayack and follow the same route out.
The google earth picture maps would be the go to pin point exactly where i would like to go first the head into the swamp.
I would have a route in and be able to follow the same line out with percisio .
Sounds basic but with so many models to choose from a straight answer would be great.
Australia, victoria
Thankyou

skids

The E Trex and E Trex10 are great little units for getting you to a particular point and you can also waymark your starting point but as far as I have used them they point you in a straight line to the set co ordinates. There is no map option that would be suitable. Probably the Etrex 20 and above would be better suited.

Sam

Hey mate this model works well for tracks and way points I just don't trust it 100% after it deleted my home marker when I was out bush. I haven't had any experience using other units but have seen Magellan in action and they seem to work fine also

Thommo

Any Garmin such as eTrex10 or any late model that will interface with base camp and you can view everything on google earth at home and enter all required point priors to your adventure.

GlennCasked

eTrex 10

Etrex10 is displaying a message that it has no memory space to save a waypoint when there is no data stored on the device, any solutions?

Sam

Have you got an external sd card in it?

Thommo

If you have tracking switched on it will soon fill the memory. Only use the tracking when nessesary. That's my 2 cents worth.

GlennC

Thank you for your response. I have deleted all data and re booted device to find it is now saving waypoints again. Cheers

Geoff N Beth

Geoff N Bethasked

eTrex 30

Can I use a hard copy map to mark out our path with way points, then enter the way point coordinates into the gps device so that the device can still give us a distance between way points, and/or a compass bearing from one point to another? Can the device still give us our current gps coordinates so we can mark our current position on a hard copy map (with out an electronic topo map of the area we are in at the time loaded on the device). In short can we use the device in conjunction with a hard/paper map to navigate our way if we do not have electronic topo maps of certain areas loaded on the device? Sorry it’s a bit wordy, just trying to be clear.

Kind regards.

Geoff

Hi Geoff,
You sure can use a hard copy map and physical compass in conjunction with your Etrex 30, or almost any other hand held GPS. You might be able to find some great maps for free that you can install onto your etrex. I had a topo map that covered all of Australia that I got for free that someone had created from the Australian government geospatal data. it was a 2gb file so i needed to add removable storage (micro sd card) to my etrex.

the etrex range will always be able to tell you exactly what your position is. the co-ordinate system may be different to the system used for your map, so be sure to do a few test runs using street corners and places you know first so you know you understand the difference between what your map uses and what your GPS will tell you. You may be able to set the GPS to display the same system that the map uses, but most maps only provide one type of coordinate system.

The etrex 30 has a built in compass. I found that it wasn't as reliable as a standard compass, but it worked good enough mostly.

you can input a bunch of waypoints into your GPS and sort of make a route, but the easiest way to do what I think you are talking about, is to open the garmin basecamp program on your computer, plot out a route and upload it to your gps. There are 3rd party ways of doing this through google earth and then converting it to a file type that garmin will recognise (i think this is .gps), then putting it into basecamp and uploading it to your computer. This is how I usually do it because basecamp can be a bit cluncky. There may be better ways to do it that someone else can explain to us how to do. I'm not hugely tech savvy, but I can usually find my way around a problem.

good luck! Happy trail hunting!

Glenn

Glennasked

eTrex

My screen has faded to the degree I can barely read it, any comments?

Slazmo

Change batteries and adjust screen resolution in the menue settings. Thats what I would try first. See how you go?

Max

Maxasked

eTrex 30

Is base camp worthwhile downloading I will be using my etrx 30 for hunting.just brought it not happy with the maps what map would you recommend don't want to pay to much?

The Talent

I use basecamp for geocaching, and while its not the main program that I use, it does have its uses. I'm sure you may find the same with hunting.
In terms of maps, I have used the free Shonky Topo maps which are free and pretty good. You can also get free road maps from http://www.osmaustralia.org/garmin.php
There are other maps out there that are sometimes better, but these ones are free and easy to use.

neil ware

neil wareasked

eTrex 30

I am going to the middle east and want to use the etrex 30 as a road navigational device, how do I do this?

The Talent

Although I have never used my etrex30 for this, as I understand it, the first thing that you need a map installed that is routable. You can tell your gps to use roads only, but unlike a driving gps, the etrex 30 doesn't givw you notifications like "turn left in 700 meters". I think it will beep at you, but that beep is pretty quiet unless you are holding it close to your ear. I suggest a separate gps that is designed for road use, installed with routable road maps for the area you will be needing it.

Peter

Peterasked

eTrex 20

How accurate is this unit, the reason for my question is that I have recently used a Garmin 760 which I believe must be faulty as compared to my old Navman n40i which is accurate to about 5metres the 760s' accuracy co-ordinate when transferred to a map was out by as much as 500metres?!?!

Hi Peter
I can only speak for the eTrex 20 unit, but I had the same issue when manually inputting GPS lat/long coordinates to my unit and downloading to the Basecamp program on my PC. While the data from my eTrex was spot on, the downloaded coordinates on Basecamp were out by as much as 600m (when compared against known landmarks). After an email to Garmin (which I received no reply) and tinkering with the settings on Basecamp and the unit this seems to have resolved the issue. Check the position format settings (under set up->Position Format on your unit) to ensure the GPS unit and Basecamp are the same (ie hddd°mm'ss.s") and that the map datum is the same (I use GDA 94). This seems to have resolved the issue. Hope this helps... :)

Using Basecamp, click on edit->options and under Position select Lat/Long hddd°mm'ss.s". Under Datum click GDA. Hope this helps.

Ben Bloom

Ben Bloomasked

eTrex 20

I want to use a GPS to mark out paddocks on my farm.
Can the Garmin eTrex Handheld GPS be used to measure areas paced out in farm paddocks.
Also if topo maps are installed can heights be identified?

Hi Ben.
With regards to marking out paddocks, it has an area calculation feature which allows you to pace out boundaries to work out areas. It is extremely accurate.
The topo maps also have heights and contour lines similar to a normal paper map, however I never travel without paper maps as back up as the screen size is very small. If you're going bush I highly recommend taking maps for the area and spare batteries (Alkaline) as you'd be lucky to get 24 hours from a set of AA batteries. As I said I use it for camping and it is yet to let me down. Best $200 I have spent. Happy trails :)

Robert Wilson

Robert Wilsonasked

eTrex 20

Where is the nearest store to Darwin Northern Territory?

Not sure as I'm in Perth and bought mine online on Ebay. I think they also sell them at BCF and Anaconda.

bianca

biancaasked

eTrex

on the garmin etrex,how do i get to the almanac

Slazmo

What almanac? Are you confusing the new eTrex with the old model thats listed here?