Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx

Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx

See the Best Handheld GPS Units in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Terrible service.

I bought Garmin and tried to download the maps following instructions in their sites. It was misleading and i got wrong maps that couldn't fit the tool. Tried to call them or email them and was appalled by the service. Still searching for a solution...
try yourself to call the service in australia and see for yourself how much time you are going to wait...

don't buy

I have had two of these units in two years. The first stopped working after about four days. It was replaced under warranty. The second lasted about the same amount of time. Both failed to accure satelites after very short period of time. Garmin will not fix them. Even though I had these units for two years they spend most of there time in the box. Must be bad luck they say.
Good while it worked
Very expensive when they don't last and can't be repaired.

I think they have had such a huge failure rate, they are just getting out of the problems anyway they can. Avoid all Garmin products until the company comes good.

A warning about Garmin GPS

In late 2008 the Garmin 60 CSx looked like it would be a good choice of hand held for offshore open boat navigation and trekking so I bought one and for a while it was OK. Then about eight months ago it started to play up, with occasional screen freezes while out in the boat which required battery removal to reset. They have increased in frequency to the point last Friday where touching the find button resulted in a freeze. Today I managed to off load my marks upgrade the firmware and reset it to factory defaults. The find button still freezes the screen. Its basically a piece of junk now. $430 for around 250 hours use makes it a very expensive and disappointingly unreliable unit. A good friend had a similar experience with and eTrex in the mountains of NZ. We wont be buying Garmin again. Life's too valuable to rely on Garmin. Be warned and beware.

unreliable and expensive given its limited service life

I concur Garmin product have become unreliable. I have a unit in for repair but there is a long pile of units infront of mine before Garmin Australia can look at and repair mine. Nearly 11 months and no resolution. Just sick clear of this brand as the service is non existant.Well it is December, 11 months after the purchase of this product and still no sign of resolution. Pat's Tackle World of Gladstone Queensland now say they have no record of the unit I returned. The owner blaimes it of staff since left, and claims he needs to look for it. He does not know if it is in his shop or not. He has not called back and now I do not seem to beable to get any sense out of the manager or staff who deny and knowledge about the matter. I do not know how or where to contact Garmin about this. In summary this is about the worst retail experience I can remember. Bad luck in buying a bad product from a terrable retailer. I would not go to that shop for anything after this experience. I have no confidence that I will ever see the $600 worth of goods ever again. Keep away from this shop and these products.I had a similar problem that was due to some software called "Spotlight" that appeared to have been auto loaded onto the sim after I had plugged it into my PC. I accessed the sim via My Computer and deleted the software files. It works fine again.

It is one tough and accurate little device. Mine took a tumble from my mountainbike at 60km/h on a rocky mountain road. When I found it amongst the stones, it had a few scratches but is still in perfect working order. The battery also lasts very long provided you buy the most expensive batteries you can find.
It is incredibly accurate. User interface is very intuitive. It is as tough as nails. The software works well. It downloads onto Google Earth, and then you can do playback!
It does not come with Australian maps: You have to buy those extra at an expensive cost.

I have been using this unit for 10 years for enginneering work, mountainbiking, skiing, motorbiking, 4wd adventures, overseas travel. It is accurate, shockproof and weather proof. I hope new models with more modern interfaces live up to the the 60CSX.
Accuracy, Simplicity, usefulness across so many activities.
Searching for Waypoints and POI's could be a little better. Basemaps are aweful. Shame on Garmin for still using these basemaps. Recommend using with Tracks4Australia Maps or buying a routable mapset.

do not trust the new stuff. They are failure prone with no backup or service. I have an old GPS PLUS II and it works great, but everone I know who has bought a new unit within the last year has had failures and are unable to get any service from Garmin. Especially bad through small stores that have little influence in getting customer support.

Great unit for bush and even city

I've had the previous 60CS for several years, then ca. 2 years ago I got myself 60CSx, mainly for extra memory and better chip. While an old cs required an external antenna under tree canopy, the new csx works fine without one - in hand or in a car. microsd card lets to load the whole Australia (Garmin) plus contours plus Shonky Map. The last two are FREE downloads and are excellent in the Outback. Not so good in city, so Garmin map is required.
It is faster to lock in, signal strength is very good. Alkaline batteries give at least 20 hrs, and I recommend switching electronic compass off. On rechargeable it is less, but one full day without a problem. In a car - connect to a lighter. Garmin City Navigator work very well and can you direct with beeps and arrows and info. No voice. You can search for features or addresses. If you load Garmin software and maps on your PC, you can plan and create a route with POIs, then transfer to the unit. Similarly, tracks can be transferred to PC and overlayed on topo maps (if you have one). Screens can be personalised. We used it in Kimberley and in Europe (Paris, Vienna.....) No need to carry sa street directory/city maps. And it's only ca. 420 sans Garmin maps.
Handy, sensitive, plenty of memory.... great piece of equipment
I do not like Garmin's licensing, updates etc.