Garmin Inreach Explorer +

Garmin Inreach Explorer + Questions & Answers

4 questions from our users

Which Garmin In Reach model would be best to use on a yacht cruising remote Wa and Indonesia?
Hi Shaz the Explorer plus is the best model however I would also take an Optus Thuraya XT Lite Sat phone, costs 700 and is quite cheap to run. If you can only take one I would take the Sat phone. Regards PeterThanks for the feedback Peter, we have an Inmarsat Sat phone which we take when sailing out of range. The Explorer plus will be a great addition to our communications.

Can you send messages between two units? Also is there anyway of preloading more than 500 waypoints.
We run 25 Garmin Inreach Explorer + devices and on a corporate De Lorme plan where we can message to anyone - address books are synced. If you're not on a corporate plan i.e. individual then I would think you still can as each device SIM has a mobile number. To find the number associated with the device we sent a message from the device e.g. to an email or phone. Once you have the number for both devices you should be able to text each other mindful this incurs data usage. There is twitter and other facebook links / functions but I'm not familiar with these.No Geoff you can send messages between two units to my knowledge and I think that the 500 waypoints are fixed.

Does the unit have maps for the Te Araroa Trail in New Zealand? thanks Lynne
Hi Lyn, I’m in Australia and we’ve found the maps to very accurate and comprehensive, we’ve just come back from Birdsville and all roads, camp sites and rest stops and even caravan parks were listed. The trail your after seems to be the major walk. It would be on your version of maps. I would suggest using the Earthmate app with the Garmin you can use your iPhone or tablet to view the map and send messages. When using the app it’s a lot easier to see what detail it shows. I’m going to do a review in the next few days showing what it offers in more detail. We love the device.

Get an answer from our members and Garmin representatives