Garmin Inreach Explorer +

Garmin Inreach Explorer + Questions & Answers

4 questions from our users

shazasked

Which Garmin In Reach model would be best to use on a yacht cruising remote Wa and Indonesia?

Peter S

Hi Shaz the Explorer plus is the best model however I would also take an Optus Thuraya XT Lite Sat phone, costs 700 and is quite cheap to run.
If you can only take one I would take the Sat phone.
Regards Peter

shaz

Thanks for the feedback Peter, we have an Inmarsat Sat phone which we take when sailing out of range. The Explorer plus will be a great addition to our communications.

Geoff C.

Geoff C.asked

Can you send messages between two units? Also is there anyway of preloading more than 500 waypoints.

Dustyboot
Dustyboot

We run 25 Garmin Inreach Explorer + devices and on a corporate De Lorme plan where we can message to anyone - address books are synced. If you're not on a corporate plan i.e. individual then I would think you still can as each device SIM has a mobile number. To find the number associated with the device we sent a message from the device e.g. to an email or phone. Once you have the number for both devices you should be able to text each other mindful this incurs data usage. There is twitter and other facebook links / functions but I'm not familiar with these.

Peter S

No Geoff you can send messages between two units to my knowledge and I think that the 500 waypoints are fixed.

Linnie

Linnieasked

Does the unit have maps for the Te Araroa Trail in New Zealand? thanks Lynne

Hi Lyn, I’m in Australia and we’ve found the maps to very accurate and comprehensive, we’ve just come back from Birdsville and all roads, camp sites and rest stops and even caravan parks were listed. The trail your after seems to be the major walk. It would be on your version of maps. I would suggest using the Earthmate app with the Garmin you can use your iPhone or tablet to view the map and send messages. When using the app it’s a lot easier to see what detail it shows. I’m going to do a review in the next few days showing what it offers in more detail. We love the device.

Tonyasked

What maps does the Garmin Explorer Plus come preloaded with? Does it come with the John Muir Trail in the USA?

GoneCamping1975
GoneCamping1975

Hi Tony,
We are from Australia, so our maps use the Digital Atlas of Earth from what I read it says in the USA it uses topo North America. Our Garmin shows a topo style map. It shows lines where the hills and canyons are. When we access the web portal it shows the maps as satellite maps, it will show where you sent messages, where you have been. If you were standing next to that tree when you sent the message.
Being from the USA your Garmin would have the correct maps already on the Garmin inreach. We have been inpressed with our Garmin inreach we have gone to a site similar to John Muir trail, and it shown names of areas within the park. They were shown as little icons. So I can only assume that in the USA you would get the same detailed maps.
One thing I would like to point out. The garmin inreach plus does not automatically follow a route. If you set the tracking points and then walk when you look at your screen after say 1 hour you’ll see the path you have walked.
I hope this answers your question.

Chris
Chris

Hi Tony.
The unit comes with the Delorme Topo map. Which is a world map. As for the trail you ask for I am unable to help with this as I am using an Australia.model which may differ slightly to a model for the US market?
Doing a quick search the map does show that area but not in the detail you may need. The track itself was not actually shown by name on the map.
The USA model of the explorer may be better for this?
Looking at the specs for the unit online it does show you can add [download] maps so you should be able to load a map of the area you wish to use and select that.
I have not needed to try this feature as yet.
Hope this helps.

Tony

Chris - Many thanks ! I want to walk the John Muir Trail in California so I really need the correct map for this walk.

Get an answer from our members and Garmin representatives