Garmin nüvi Essential Series

Garmin nüvi Essential Series (page 2 of 3)

50, 40, 65LMT, etc...

rayc101

rayc101

Hopeless charging

Nemo

NemoCentral Highlands and Goldfields, VIC

Excellent value for the money.

Mike

MikeMelbourne

Will Garmin's Nuvi 50 GPS Kill You?

GPS Navigation Systems

Find out how Garmin nüvi Essential Series compares to other GPS Navigation Systems

Gill

GillBrisbane

great buy

i bought my Garmin 3 yrs ago at Harvey Norman's for $88 i had a hiccup where it froze on me, took it back to Harvey and they sent it back to the Garmin manufacturing. They decided to replace the whole unit, and I haven't looked back. would like to know where i can get a manual book on how to upload maps. thanks

Jimbo

JimboMotueka

Top Product - pity about the maps shortcomings.

NeroWhite

NeroWhite

You will never be seen again!

sirfixit

sirfixitSydney, NSW

Dependable GPS

GARMIN!!! are you people reading this?

This unit has only lasted 6 months, The right side of the touch pad is not working at all, I misplaced the purchase receipt so the store wont honor the warranty, This gps used to tell me I was 100 meters left of where I really was, It also showed me as being 80 meters under sea level. NOT HAPPY AT ALL.
Thsis was my first gps so I have nothing to copare it to.
everything

FoxBearSydney

FoxBearSydneySydney, NSW

Basic GPS, make sure you update map pack regularly.

Rover177

Rover177

Functional and Easy to use

dave24

dave24Fremantle

Bang for buck

Customer service

I purchased my Garmin device while on holidays in London and was told I could load Australian maps when I returned home. I have tried to contact the company several times by e mail with no response. The only reference to a map I can find is Aust and NZ combined for 150 US dollars More than the device cost. Not happy with after sales service. My device is now useless after using it for 8 days.

Device was Ok but after sales service does not exist especially with my problem

Have2Review

Have2Review

Disappointing map error and bad routes calculations/given

Cheap with free liftime map, but bad experienced with streets in wrong suburbs in Qld and Vic. Reported to NAVTEC a few months already and get available map updated later - still streets in wrong suburbs. tend to give bad routes - long and slow. For example give only long route to Port Campbell along Great Ocean road and would not give the alternative inland route like the ToTom GPS that we had before.
Lifetime map update
Put streets in wrong suburbs and give bad routes.

James Cleary
James Cleary

Same issue here. Says Warrnambool to Hamilton via Mortlake. Definitely the wrong route -10% longer in both time and distance.

Wanderer

WandererAlice Springs

how hot or cold

It,s ok for the money, for occasional use. Misses shortest way and sends you on a longer road. But what puzzles me is... In settings, Temperature ??? F or C ok, but what is this: Temperature Water ?????? No temperature is shown. Can someone enlighten me ? The Garmin COLORADO displays the temperature. Thanks.
Voice volume is good and map is ok too.
This TEMPERATURE WATER puzzles me...

Garmin Nuvi 40

I have tried to routes since Christmas, and both are longer and do not follow the main roads to reach the destination. Supposedly Auatralian choice of voice, but if you can put up with Kiwi "ixits" you will be OK. Watch the kids don't end up with 'over the ditch' accents for your local roads though!
God clear map
Kiwi instead of Australian accent. Does not seem to be able to calculate shortest routes using main roads.

hillbilly456
hillbilly456

Set the preferences for shortest instead of fastest or vice versa Usually fixes the problem.
Also voices can be changed. Standard is usually an English voice "Ken" or a female who is actually an Aussie

beebeegee
beebeegee

Ronni

RonniNortham

Garmin Nuvi 30, 3.5 GPS

Great. Easy to use. Tells you when you are speeding. Gets totally lost occasionally. Doesn't have an overall map so that you see which direction you are going, which is a worry. You may have typed in the wrong address. Also doesn't show the total kilometer reading to your destination.

Doesn't give overall map of direction you are planning to travel. Doesn't give total kilometers to travel.

dbsmum

dbsmumNSW, 2749

Good basic GPS

This unit is quite basic but works well. It is quite cheap and gets you from A to B with no issues. It seems to have a decent battery life and is easy to use and navigate through the options. NIce big screen with clear images. Sometimes takes a while to find the satellite signal though.
Inexpensive, reliable, good battery life, big screen, simple to use
Occasionally slow to find satellite signal

SambOz

SambOz

Garmin Nuvi50

The first car GPS we have had. $88 delivered by mail from JB Hifi. Amazed at the product and technology for that price. Been in regular use for last 2 months, has not faltered. User friendly and wish we had one earlier when travelling in Melbourne or interstate. Adapts to a new route if you go off the 'go to' route initially given to you. Looked yesterday to buy another one but don't see them at $88 anymore.

slinkyboy

slinkyboyAU

Garmin Nuvi 50 GPS

Dont bother. Have had 2 of these and both have frozen within first few days of use. Garmin have replaed the first one but i get the impression there is a problem with this model after surfing the net and reviewing others who have had problems with this unit. sending the second one back for a refund. Would not recommend this as it has let me down when i most needed it in heavy traffic and unfamiliar territory. Thumbs down
good size screen
no use having a big screen when its freezes when you need it

ozjaneblack
ozjaneblack

Yes. Mine freezes often too. Now it would not even show any map when you turn it on. Am so disappointed! Our old model Navman is more useful!

KlinkyAU

Hard to do better for the money.

My introduction to GPS's.

For someone who doesn't need or want all the bells and whistles this little unit does the job.

No need to worry about going the wrong way as it soon pulls me back on track.

Speed camera location alerts have probably saved me a coupla times as I didn't even realise they were located at some pedestrian crossings here in Adelaide.

For $88 on special with lifelong free map updates you couldn't go wrong.
Free lifelong map updates.
Verbal overspeed alerts have been left off the latest model.

Klinky

Mine is the Nuvi 50 and I don't have that problem. The Nuvi 50 LM is the USA model and depending where you download updates may determine what goes on.

See all Garmin nüvi Essential Series reviews