Garmin nüvi Essential Series

Garmin nüvi Essential Series

50, 40, 65LMT, etc...

Trouble updating maps

I tried to update the maps. I've owned this Garmin less than two years. I can no longer update the maps. I tried. Now I see this model is discontinued. Before I tried updating, at least I had maps. I am so incredibly disappointed. I won't buy another Garmin. Update: A friend researched the problem on the Internet, discovered another person with the same problem who found a way to manipulate the unit settings, and got the maps updated. I'm now using the Garmin again. The maps seem fine. Before trying to update maps again I'll likely buy a different brand of product.

Lou

LouThornlands

Nice gps but beware f free maps.

I bought it on 29 th July 2012 from JB Hifi to use in NZ . Worked well again in August 2013 when I got my son to register it for free maps and update them prior to going. Worked well. In December 2014 he update it again for free and used it in NZ again. When he tried to update the maps last week Garmin would not update the maps only the software. I called them and was told I wasn't entitled to free maps . They said I had paid previously to update which isn't true and have to pay for an update. So much for free maps for life.

Ugmuck

UgmuckVaries

Absolutely terrible re updating maps through their "Garmin Express"

Extremely difficult to get their garmin express app for mac to work. Their suggestion on changing data cable is worthless. AND, if I leave it running "in the background," (as they suggest),it prevents the mac from sleeping when on power adapter mode!

A totally junky app. Will not buy garmin again. If you cannot update the maps, what use is it? AND, it can mess up your computer.

GPS Navigation Systems

Find out how Garmin nüvi Essential Series compares to other GPS Navigation Systems

Sedi

Sedi

The Worst and Slowest GPS

This GPS is the worst i used in my life.
I had the Garmin 2597 which was Freezing so took it to the JB HI FI where i bought it they replaced it for the Garmin Nuvi 67lmt which was 37$ Extra. I regret i have spend the money on this products.
Very Slow
Touch Screen Very Hard to

Garmin

We purchased a Garmin GPS the usb inside socket had a manufacturing fault sent it away to be fixed cannot repair refused to refund,repair,or replace , had lifetime maps cannot upload at all. They wanted us to pay for a refurbished unit will never buy a Garmin product again terrible company to deal with never again. However The Good Guys were terrific and offered a credit towards a new GPS Garmin would not credit any money at all.
guess what won't be buying a new Garmin.!!!

Not happy Jan

Garmin is not listening to their customers at all after reading these reviews !!!

Horrendous.

Every time it comes to a junction on the motorway it takes you off, round the roundabout and back on. It is incredibly dangerous and I ended up turning the thing off and resorting to maps. I suppose the voice is excellent, if inaccurate, the only way to use this on a motorway is to check the route by maps first and know which junctions you wish to exit.
very little
don't use on motorways,

Mike

MikeMelbourne

Will Garmin's Nuvi 50 GPS Kill You?

NeroWhite

NeroWhite

You will never be seen again!

GARMIN!!! are you people reading this?

This unit has only lasted 6 months, The right side of the touch pad is not working at all, I misplaced the purchase receipt so the store wont honor the warranty, This gps used to tell me I was 100 meters left of where I really was, It also showed me as being 80 meters under sea level. NOT HAPPY AT ALL.
Thsis was my first gps so I have nothing to copare it to.
everything

Customer service

I purchased my Garmin device while on holidays in London and was told I could load Australian maps when I returned home. I have tried to contact the company several times by e mail with no response. The only reference to a map I can find is Aust and NZ combined for 150 US dollars More than the device cost. Not happy with after sales service. My device is now useless after using it for 8 days.

Device was Ok but after sales service does not exist especially with my problem

Have2Review

Have2Review

Disappointing map error and bad routes calculations/given

Cheap with free liftime map, but bad experienced with streets in wrong suburbs in Qld and Vic. Reported to NAVTEC a few months already and get available map updated later - still streets in wrong suburbs. tend to give bad routes - long and slow. For example give only long route to Port Campbell along Great Ocean road and would not give the alternative inland route like the ToTom GPS that we had before.
Lifetime map update
Put streets in wrong suburbs and give bad routes.

James Cleary
James Cleary

Same issue here. Says Warrnambool to Hamilton via Mortlake. Definitely the wrong route -10% longer in both time and distance.

slinkyboy

slinkyboyAU

Garmin Nuvi 50 GPS

Dont bother. Have had 2 of these and both have frozen within first few days of use. Garmin have replaed the first one but i get the impression there is a problem with this model after surfing the net and reviewing others who have had problems with this unit. sending the second one back for a refund. Would not recommend this as it has let me down when i most needed it in heavy traffic and unfamiliar territory. Thumbs down
good size screen
no use having a big screen when its freezes when you need it

ozjaneblack
ozjaneblack

Yes. Mine freezes often too. Now it would not even show any map when you turn it on. Am so disappointed! Our old model Navman is more useful!

very poor

purchased this unit 3 weeks ago.i live in a major town and maps were in accurate where i live and could not get customer support on the net mant of times as there server was busy and could not contact them by phone so i mailed the unit back to them with much pleasure.

not accurate and no customer support

Ginny123

SammyOwner

SammyOwnerQld

Not very useful for Australia

GPS Navigation Systems

Don't buy it unless you like getting the run around!

Ronni