Garmin nüvi Essential Series

50, 40, 65LMT, etc...

The Bax

The Bax

Works OK for me

Travelling around Australia I found the maps generally accurate. Display is easy to read under all light conditions and windscreen mount is effective. Free lifetime updates via Garmin Express works fine on my windows laptop. Doesn't offer a choice of routes - only most direct or fastest, which I find a drawback. Otherwise nothing to complain about.

Wanderer

WandererAlice Springs

how hot or cold

It,s ok for the money, for occasional use. Misses shortest way and sends you on a longer road. But what puzzles me is... In settings, Temperature ??? F or C ok, but what is this: Temperature Water ?????? No temperature is shown. Can someone enlighten me ? The Garmin COLORADO displays the temperature. Thanks.
Voice volume is good and map is ok too.
This TEMPERATURE WATER puzzles me...

Garmin Nuvi 40

I have tried to routes since Christmas, and both are longer and do not follow the main roads to reach the destination. Supposedly Auatralian choice of voice, but if you can put up with Kiwi "ixits" you will be OK. Watch the kids don't end up with 'over the ditch' accents for your local roads though!
God clear map
Kiwi instead of Australian accent. Does not seem to be able to calculate shortest routes using main roads.

hillbilly456
hillbilly456

Set the preferences for shortest instead of fastest or vice versa Usually fixes the problem.
Also voices can be changed. Standard is usually an English voice "Ken" or a female who is actually an Aussie

beebeegee
beebeegee
GPS Navigation Systems

Find out how Garmin nüvi Essential Series compares to other GPS Navigation Systems

Ronni

RonniNortham

Garmin Nuvi 30, 3.5 GPS

Great. Easy to use. Tells you when you are speeding. Gets totally lost occasionally. Doesn't have an overall map so that you see which direction you are going, which is a worry. You may have typed in the wrong address. Also doesn't show the total kilometer reading to your destination.

Doesn't give overall map of direction you are planning to travel. Doesn't give total kilometers to travel.

KlinkyAU

Hard to do better for the money.

My introduction to GPS's.

For someone who doesn't need or want all the bells and whistles this little unit does the job.

No need to worry about going the wrong way as it soon pulls me back on track.

Speed camera location alerts have probably saved me a coupla times as I didn't even realise they were located at some pedestrian crossings here in Adelaide.

For $88 on special with lifelong free map updates you couldn't go wrong.
Free lifelong map updates.
Verbal overspeed alerts have been left off the latest model.

Tasiturn
Tasiturn
Klinky

Mine is the Nuvi 50 and I don't have that problem. The Nuvi 50 LM is the USA model and depending where you download updates may determine what goes on.

See all Garmin nüvi Essential Series reviews