Garmin nüvi Essential Series

Garmin nüvi Essential Series

50, 40, 65LMT, etc...

BillGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Great unit but it rejects cables

I've had the Nuvi 55 for ages and it's really good. The problem is that last time I wanted to update the maps two things happened - first, the Garmin Express app told me I had an update - no problem, I updated Garmin Express without a problem. But when I connected the GPS to the computer to update it, it said I was using the wrong cable and to use the one that came with the unit. Like most houses, I have many USB cables, all exactly the same. I ran around and tried a half dozen, all with no result. Eventually one worked - one marked Logitech!

What happens if I can't find a cable it thinks is right?

Purchased in January 2015.

Stuart

StuartSydney, NSW

Very impressed

Bought this model as it had lifetime maps included, which my previous unit did not have. Too expensive to update the older model ($100). It starts immediately and I like the traffic conditions update. Warns you of likely mobile speed camera locations as well. No bluetooth in this model, but never used this option in my previous unit. Much, much lighter in weight, no battery backup. Easy and quick to update and I have been notified when this is available. Only had Garmin units and have been pleased with this GPS. Accurate, with photo display at larger junctions.

bazkennelly

bazkennelly

Good unit, easy to update maps

Unit is maybe too large for a car windscreen, perfect size for van or light truck, I adapted my bracket for the dash above the radio in my car. It does the job really well and is quick to recalibrate. The voice instructions are excellent... " Turn left after 7/11 " for example. Map updates using Garmin Express is super easy. Red light and speed camera warnings are now updated easily through Garmin Express. If I had a complaint it would be that speed and red light camera audible warning should have its own volume adjustment ( not loud enough). This is my fourth GPS including TomTom but This 67LMT is by far the best.

GPS Navigation Systems

Find out how Garmin nüvi Essential Series compares to other GPS Navigation Systems

rusty007

rusty007Sydney, NSW

Great unit - reliable

In comparison to some of the poor reviews here, mine has been fine. I've had it for 3-4 years and its been nothing but reliable. The maps are accurate and the voice and prompts are fine. It sometimes calls turnoffs too late but I'm sure the others do as well. With any satnav, still watch the road and read the signs. Nothing is perfect.

I now use the Garmin in conjunction with Google maps on my smartphone, as Google maps shows live traffic and alternate routes. And Google maps HAS tried to send me the wrong way up a one-way major thoroughfare.

WMbundaberg

Great unit outdated maps

I recently purchased a Garmin 65 LMT after already owing a few different brand GPS's.While the unit operates correctly and is easy to use,it is badly let down by the maps.The latest maps have streets missing that are 15 years old and the POIs list businesses that have been closed for over 20 years.
The map problem seems to be with all brands as they seem to use the same map supplier.Getting an answer from the maker is near impossible but I have sent an email just in case.

WM

I sent Garmin an email and they quickly responded and gave me a link to the mapping company to resolve the issue.Have since found out that the GPS is faulty and very happy with the new one.

Nemo

NemoCentral Highlands and Goldfields, VIC

Excellent value for the money.

Gill

GillBrisbane

great buy

i bought my Garmin 3 yrs ago at Harvey Norman's for $88 i had a hiccup where it froze on me, took it back to Harvey and they sent it back to the Garmin manufacturing. They decided to replace the whole unit, and I haven't looked back. would like to know where i can get a manual book on how to upload maps. thanks

Jimbo

JimboMotueka

Top Product - pity about the maps shortcomings.

FoxBearSydney

FoxBearSydneySydney, NSW

Basic GPS, make sure you update map pack regularly.

GPS Navigation Systems

Rover177

Rover177

Functional and Easy to use

dbsmum

dbsmumNSW, 2749

Good basic GPS

This unit is quite basic but works well. It is quite cheap and gets you from A to B with no issues. It seems to have a decent battery life and is easy to use and navigate through the options. NIce big screen with clear images. Sometimes takes a while to find the satellite signal though.
Inexpensive, reliable, good battery life, big screen, simple to use
Occasionally slow to find satellite signal

See all Garmin nüvi Essential Series reviews