Classic, Music

How to find the best smart watch or fitness tracker

Choosing a new smartwatch can be both exciting and overwhelming - Read on for information to help point you in the right direction.

Read now
Buying Guide Banner

• Battery Life

Just bought Vivoactive 3 - white with rose gold

I've only had my Vivoactive 3 for 3 weeks, though I'm wishing I bought it earlier.
Being my first smart watch, it's hard to compare, though I'm enjoying the look of it, functionality (particularly the sleep tracking) and all for a great price on sale.

The only issue I've had is that it disconnects from my Garmin App about once every day or two, which I need to shut down and restart both phone and watch to get them re-connected. I charge every 4-5 days, once it gets below 20% - as I'd hate for it to go flat during the day.

Altogether a great watch and it can be worn from the beach to work without a worry.

Purchased in October 2020 at JB Hi-Fi for $250.00.

Cracked Screen in 2 Days, Customer Service Not Responsive

Watch face cracked within first 2 days of receipt. Contacted Garmin, quick to tell me not covered by warranty and provided no other assistance. Still waiting on a response from Garmin. Received response and they are replacing watch.

Purchased in August 2020 for $200.00.

very good watch!

never had a bad experience, all features work well and reliable. had for over 2 years, found garmin also very helpful, easy to connect to phone and costume watch faces and Bluetooth is good

Purchased in December 2017 at rebel sport for $350.00.

Smart Watches / Fitness Trackers

Find out how Garmin Vivoactive 3 compares to other Smart Watches / Fitness Trackers

LisaM

LisaMSydney, NSW

Good device, easy to use

Set up was very fast and easy. More accurate the. The Fitbits I used to use. Heart rate more accurate, more exercises and can customise more. Battery life is about the same.

Purchased in December 2019 at Rebel Sport for $249.00.

Alli_Oliver

Alli_OliverMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Very happy for the most part

Purchased in November 2019 at Rebel Sport for $250.00.

SMK

SMKGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Solid watch you can wear 24/7

I have owned this watch for 3 months.

Comfort: Very comfortable. The strap is flexible. Aesthetically it does not look like a smart watch.

Battery:I wear this 24/7 and workout around 5 times a week. I need to chanrge my watch once a week.

Tracking: I track my Crossfit workouts. I have really gotten the most out of accurately monitoring my HR during WOD’s. This watch tracks running, rowing and walking really well.

Other pros: Apple pay, step count and phone notifications have all been featured i have found helpful

Purchased in June 2019 at Catch for $338.95.

yankeesgirl

yankeesgirl

Great for me

Purchased in November 2017 at Garmin for $429.00.

Janelle

JanelleQueensland

Easy to use!

Good, easy to use fitness tracker/watch. Love the gps tracking. The battery life is great only need to charge once a week (this is after using the gps for 30-60min/4 times a week). I find that the charger connection isn’t as snug as it should be, it often falls out if moved the bit slightest when charging.

Date PurchasedSept 2018
Tom

TomMelbourne

Good all rounder

I do love my Garmin although sometimes i do wish I'd bought the Apple watch just because it would be handy to have music and be able to make calls from the watch sometimes. Nevertheless i have the Vivoactive 3 and it really is a good watch for people who a do a bit of a fitness but also just want a good smart watch. Interface isnt as nice as the Apple i dont think, although the fitness tacking is better. Sometimes disconnects from phone so you dont receive notifications but not a deal breaker. Dont really use the Garmin Pay as Apple pay on the phone is easier. I would probably buy the Vivoactive 3 with the music storage over a non-cellular Apple Watch but the Cellular Apple watch trumps all the Garmins i think.

Date PurchasedNov 2017

Megan Easton

Megan EastonAU

Live in it now!

I love my garmin vivo active 3 fitness watch, it monitors everything I need and appears to be pretty accurate. Since I have had it I have been able to monitor my stress levels, heart beat, sleep and steps. It has even updated recently to show REM sleep.
Its water proof and I don't take mine off unless im going to work (I cant wear to work) so it showers and swims with me. The battery lasts around 5-7 days and I normally just charge it when I'm in the car driving somewhere - it doesn't take long.

Date PurchasedJuly 2017
jkhvkl876565

jkhvkl876565GREVILLIA

Garmin Vivoactive 3

Meet individual needs, long standby time, itself is very light, running without a mobile phone. Personally, the app design is not as iwatch, the settings are not friendly, the instructions are not friendly, many of the content is not clear, complete the watch with replacement, interface settings, various parameters adjustment, these are very good.

Date PurchasedMar 2018
Britt

BrittLaunceston

Good for casual use

I use this watch daily to track runs, long walks, rides and occassionally hiking. The battery life is fairly good, lasting me usually 4 days of daily GPS and no smart watch use. The watch is very slimline, so suitable for someone interested in fitness wearables that can also blend into fancier attire. If wearing long sleeves the touchscreen can get swiped a bit here and there which can be annoying as it can interrupt exercise. The watch is generally quite good for those with a casual to moderate interest in tracking exercise; I'd recommend the Fenix 5/5S/5X for anyone with more dedication.

Mango

MangoSydney, NSW

Excellent battery life, sleep tracking and works for me.

Daniel

DanielBrisbane

Perfect device for working out but missing some ''smartwatch features''

Date PurchasedMar 2018
Henry H

Henry HSydney

Garmin is a huge upgrade from Fitbit

Smartwatch/activity is an exceptional hybrid which works well for cycling, running and even wearing in the office. The battery is good as it lasts a few days with moderate use and most importantly the styling is discrete enough to wear in the office without looking overly sporty. I would recommend for anyone considering an activity tracker/watch. Garmin pay function is also really handy as it stores your credit card and enables paypass/paywave without the card.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

NicG

NicGAU

Great for running, but mediocre addtl features

As expected for Garmin watches, this is a great running watch, shows all data that I need. Notifications are good, but difficult to clear at times. Love customisable watch faces, but sometimes doesn’t sync (a Garmin Connect issue most likely). Garmin Pay only available for some banks, so haven’t tested yet. Also like ease of swapping 3rd party bands to vary the look.
Overall would recommend if you’re a runner, but not if you’re after a ‘smarter’ watch.

JPK

JPKBurwood

Great Product with awesome features

Date PurchasedOct 2017
DC

DCMelbourne

More sport than smart - but good at what it does

Date PurchasedJuly 2017
Beau

Beau

Great tracker

I have had this watch for around 4months now. I wear it pretty much everyday. It is great for running and cycling, but doesn't seem to track things like gym sessions very easily. It is a great companion if you are a golfer like I. It is great to get a live distance read out for each shot telling you how far to the front, center, and back of the greens. It also keeps track of the distance you hit each shot and will save you from carrying around a score card.

The companion app is simple and efficient to use also.