General Trades

General Trades

Mali electrician from cameray

Charged me $800 for a 3 hour job in neutral bay this was the first job i used this electrician so was not aware how much he had overcharged me for what was a simple connection of kitchen appliances. Additionally he didn't know how to connect the rangehood which he sealed off and I was later told the method he used to install could of burned my kitchen down and he tried to take parts without asking me.

Professional and Curious

I called the office to thank them for a job well done. Management asked if I could extend that sentiment over to this review site and I was all too happy to oblige. I am a long time customer of General Trades and utilise the service for maintaining a number of my rentals in Sydney.

These guys are the most reliable tradesman I have come across since I first created a property portfolio and for that reason I use them exclusively. From what i gather the company ownership has just changed hands and the manager I spoke to directed me to this review site as he was concerned about the image this review site portrays. These guys complete over 100 jobs per week so this is a pretty unfair reflection of the outstanding work they do.
I guess not many legitimate people go out of there way to write blogs about good service only when you have a gripe. Guilty as charged!

Good Luck with the business guys you will hear from me again as always, Jen Nato.

poor customer service

Rang about a concern for work carried out back in 2013 as the sump pump has failed 1st call on Saturday 14TH left contact details as the person who answered would allocate it to next avaialble . Rang AGAIN ON MONDAY AND TUESDAY PRE RECORDED MESSAGE LEFT DETAILS NOTHING ALSO SENT EMAIL NO REPLY.
At lest could have had the courtesy to reply

Charlie

please do not use

Came out to fix my hot water tank, repaired what needing doing, that night no hot water so i checked the tank and a small flame was coming out and had melted the housing of the thermostat - when they came back a supervisor came too and he said it hadn't been sealed .they sealed that and said they would replace the housing but never heard back, now i have problems using the thermostat. At the same time another general trades plumber plumbed my bbq in from lpg to our house natural gas, he too wasn't sure and never left a compliance certificate as required by law....small problems i realise compared to some stories on here....but try contacting them!! The email from the website is only enquiries for new jobs (have tried using that for someone to contact me - nothing) have called and just get the run around. Seriously if you are looking for a plumber give a local guy a go as these are useless.

Excellent advice and work Dec 2014

To start with I wish to thank Mike for his excellent support, while I was in hospital his fellas got on with the job, finishing it within a few days. Now I’m not saying there was no room for improvement, that would be a miracle and that is God’s domain. Yes, the workman could have been a little tidier, communication a little tighter but again it would be extremely unfair to expect perfection.

At the time they were here I encountered some electrical problems and they got help for me there too. I can’t thank Mike enough. I found him to be down to earth and a truly genuine bloke, not bad for a Kiwi :) Seriously, would not dare complain about Mike or his team. I can’t say their prices were cheap, but I am paying for labour and every business has to make a profit. Besides if I wanted cheap I should have done it myself or hired Bodgy Brothers. Still both these cheaper options would most like have cost me much, much more in the end.

Thanks fellas great job!

Dishonest and abusive

We had a disastrous experience with General Trades plumbing and lost our deposit. They promise $99 to clear a drain. When they got here they told me it would cost me $1600 - a fixed price contract. After they started digging, they told me it would cost me $4,500!! I insisted they stick to the agreed price price but they refused. Their representative became abusive and I asked him to pack up and leave. I spoke to their head of customer service and then the GM. They refused to stick to the contract. I asked for my $800 deposit back since they did not fix anything - the GM, told me he would refund $400 - I gave up arguing. I chased it up a week later and was told it took up to 14 days (don't know why when my payment to them went through immediately). They have still not refunded it 3 weeks later and my drain is still blocked. Do not trust them.

Appalling company - don't use

I was told I would have a shower installed and it would take 2 consecutive days. Plumber came and did preliminary work (ripping apart my laundry) and 6 weeks and 7 tradesman later I still don't have the shower installed. These guys turn up hours late and never call to let you know. Or they don't turn up at all and still don't call to let you know they're not coming. Company never gets back to me to let me know what is happening, I have a laundry that looks like a construction site and no idea when the job will be finished. I have asked senior people to ring me, they never call. I don't know how to get this situation fixed. I wish I had never heard of this company.

joe

Don't know where to start had a couple of leaks which needs some parts changed washers,hoses etc said we needed new mixers for the shower which only needed the washes changed one in the toilet basin and a leak under the kitchen basin. Didn't check properly under the kitchen basin where the leak was made us change a........ Which cost us just over 150,dollars which took 10min to change. The next day the leak was still there said it was the hoses were too loose and needed to tighten then he did that supposedly tested it and was fine. Next morning surprise surprise the leak ended up being a lot worse had another plumber come back and say he shouldnt have tightened it which made it worse so changed the hose said it came from that. Again he left the leak was still there and said it was the tap which was less than a yr old and tried to sell us another one for almost 400,dollars insatlled. So all up cost us 800 dollars and we still have the leak under the kitchen sink. You guys are grubs.

Awful

We had a terrible experience with General Trades - electrical services. We hired the electrician to move our electrical box from a wall we were removing. We left the trades person to do this while we were at work (our mistake.. ). When we arrived home, the electrical box had been moved, but had been moved to a wall we were also removing. It was clear we were removing this wall from the plans we had left.
Rather than rectifying the mistake at no cost, we were charged for another days labor. After contesting this, we settled on an amount and paid it to get General Trades out of our lives..
THEN we received a letter from debt collectors demanding payment on behalf of General Trades and threatening legal action.
We had never received a call from General Trades indicating there was a problem with our payment amount, instead, they sold the 'debt' straight to a debt collector.
After numerous emails / phone calls we finally proved NO money was owing.
What terrible customer service. The individual trades people may be nice who work for General Trades, but their head office team are a nightmare.

IT DOESN'T GET ANY WORSE THAN THIS

Gave them a $30,000, 2 bathroom repair job which was to take 3 weeks. It has now been 7 months and our main bathroom is a bare concrete shell and the other bathroom has to be redone due to crooked tiles, leaking shower and overall shoddy workmanship.
The tradesmen were totally useless, incompetent, uninterested and all correspondence with the company has gone unanswered. They are completely uninterested in righting this MAJOR wrong and as a result we are now forced to seek assistance from arbitration, Fair Trading and probably legal action will have to follow.
They are the most unprofessional, grossly incompetent, uninterested, rude and overpriced group of clowns we've ever come across.
We will tell anyone who listens not to use them.
Their paperwork and website says "your recommendation is our highest compliment". This is just laughable.

Plumbing

Shame shame they went to a friends house to unblock a sewer line then quoted $9,500 to replace all drainage and sewer lines due to collapsed pipes. I stepped in sent my plumber in who works on two commercial buildings I maintain, $600 dollars later all lines are cleared and video footage as proof something general trades could not provide. Absolute rip off from general trades trying to rip off a lady of age and putting thru the stress I would not recommend them.

Dear Tim Thank you for your review, what you describe is true we take a very dim view in terms of the agents performance, as such we would like to track down the Plumber who quoted this work, and investigate his practices. in terms of dealing with elderly customers it is strict company policy that no work is commenced, without requested approval from another family member, or friend ( this is documented on our website) As we over 50 plumbers working for us and attend over 300 jobs a week without consumer assistance its difficult to identify poor quality staff and take the necessary action, if you would be kind enough to contact our customer care team on 1300 557 725 and provide us with the address he attended as this is how we can identify the agent... for your troubles we will pay you $100 ask for Jayden. The Generals Response Unit is part of his customer care team. Although he trains his teams to be the best they can, he also knows that he is dealing with people and sometimes people have a bad day and don't always get it right, he knows that when dealing with literally hundreds of customers a week, his team will occasionally drop the ball, get it wrong or just plain fail ! Its a fact of business,that no business wants unhappy customers it defeats the purpose, no business deliberately goes out to let a customer down, however when the proverbial does hit the fan which it occasionally does, The General believes its how you respond that counts, hence his complaints response unit... Their role is to always follow up any complaints and try and solve them to the customers satisfaction, however they need to be given the chance its this teams role to work with the customer to fix a problem and get it right...All we ask is for the opportunity. if you would like to have a problem rectified or give The General feedback on the behavior and practices of his troops he welcomes this as part of his continuous improvement regime ... The General adheres to the Australian standard for dealing with complaints AS ISO 10002—2006

Excellent (General Trades in Melbourne)

We had all sorts of sewage problems. We had a quote from The Drain Man, but after dramas with them plus an over the top quote, we went with General Trades. Although the job cost a lot (that's just life my friends) they arrived on time, finished in one day, cleaned up, patted the dog and weren't yobbos! So I'm happy. We now need more work done and I'm not expecting any problems.

Disgusted to the highest level

Communication with clients appalling. Unprofessional tradesman burnt my house and wasn't even competent enough to correctly weld joints on my water pipes, resulting in my hose being severely damaged within the wall cavity, due to leaking pipes that weren't welded properly. 24hr service. What a joke. Leave a message and they will get back to you within business hours.

Everything. You ruined my house and cost me thousands of dollars in delays

Amendment to "disgusted to the highest level" In fairness to the professional, extremely capable team that came to my house and corrected the problems caused by a disgruntled employee. Thank you to The General team and heads up to future customers....request [name removed] as your plumber. He's great!!! and their primary carpenter (sorry, I forgot yr name) is extremely professional, polite and an absolute pleasure, after my previous experience.Tracy once again we are extremely sorry and embarrassed by the experience, you were exposed to.Thank you for your patience and understanding it is much appreciated, we have since let the original plumber go...

Sharks

Starts at $99 and then they just have to do the next step and the next and low and behold it looks like your bill will be in the thousands. High pressure sales rather than high pressure hose. Be very careful and get a full quote before they do anything.
Nothing
Everything

We are sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with one of our team members we please rest assured that we don't take your dissatisfaction lightly. The Generals Response Unit is part of his customer care team. Although he trains his teams to be the best they can, he also knows that he is dealing with people and sometimes people have a bad day and don't always get it right, he knows that when dealing with literally hundreds of customers a week, his team will occasionally drop the ball, get it wrong or just plain fail ! Its a fact of business,that no business wants unhappy customers it defeats the purpose, no business deliberately goes out to let a customer down, however when the proverbial does hit the fan which it occasionally does. The General believes its how you respond that counts, hence his complaints response unit... Their role is to always follow up any complaints and try and solve them to the customers satisfaction, however they need to be given the chance its this teams role to work with the customer to fix a problem and get it right...All we ask is for the opportunity. if you would like to have a problem rectified or give The General feedback on the behavior and practices of his troops he welcomes this as part of his continuous improvement regime ... The General adheres to the Australian standard for dealing with complaints AS ISO 10002—2006 If you would like to contact us with the name of the tech that attended your job and the address, we will investigate your claims, our techs should always quote before commencing any work if they haven't in your case we want to know about it, if you would like to contact us we will refund you your $99 which you shouldn't have been charged if your blockage was not cleared.. You can send your details C/O Jayden at: HQ@generaltrades.com.auit would be greatly appreciated.

Electrifying bill

Invoice no 14345
This invoiced price is extortionate and large as well. I have written to the ombudsman requesting confirmation of the prices charged by your company and an ordinary electrician. Previous work I've had done by a private electricianI as follows, an dual a/c installed, a fan fixed, a new security light, a double power point, a t.v aerial and they had to be wired from scratch they charged $1020.00.
Your company charged $585.00 for supply and fit to already wired double power point, three switch light switch and supply and fit security light which was also wired.

The price

Hi Jennifer we are sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction, thank you for providing your details, firstly it assist us in tracking down who the tech was and secondly it also shows you are a genuine customer. We have followed up on your job and spoken to the Licensed Tech, that attended your property,he tells us that he quoted you the price up front before doing the work and that you were happy to accept. He also tells us that that he provide a same day service, I should point out that we will happily beat any competitive written quote and that depending on how busy the tech is on the day he is always happy to negotiate on price.Importantly our company policy is that our licensees must always quote up front before starting any work and not price after the event this is so you know where you stand and what the job will cost before approving any work. If this is not the case then the Tech has not followed procedure, then we would be very concerned and he has placed his license to operate under our brand at risk. Having said that after looking at the job and what was charged it doesn't seem excessively high when you consider, the above and that his work is backed with a lifetime warranty. Never the less, we hate having disappointed customers , so on that note One of our Customer care managers ( Ben) will be contacting you today to discuss the above, the process in terms of how you were charged and what work was actually done, he will also discuss compensation in terms of a discount for your assistance and to go some ways to providing a satisfactory outcome. Regards The Generals Customer care Unit

Do not use this company

This company tried to turn a leaky shower head which needed two washers changed into an $800 job. Be extremely cautious when dealing with them. They complained bitterly the entire time they at my house about how hard the job was. At the end of the day their total quote for the work needed was $1200 the proper plumber who did the work charged $300 not a difficult job for him

Unprofessional, late poor attitude of both office staff and tradesmen extremely questionable quoting practices

Hi Angela, We have looked through our system and we cannot find any job that matched with yours, what I can tell you is that there is know way we would quote $800 to change a couple of washers, this kind of job may cost around $200 max including call out fee, if you would be kind enough to contact our call center and provide your details we will investigate and if you have been over charged we will provide you a full refund, we would also like to know which of our agents, quoted you so we can also have chat to him. Angela we spend a lot of money building our brand and although not perfect,because we are dealing with humans , having said that in term of our agents we have a zero tolerance for any of our agents that over charge and once brought to our attention we will always refund accordingly, we also have a policy of matching any genuine written quote, so in effect they should be very competitive when quoting for jobs we look forward to hearing back from you... The Generals customer response Unit is part of his customer care team. Although he trains his teams to be the best they can, he also knows that he is dealing with people and sometimes people have a bad day and don't always get it right, he knows that when dealing with literally hundreds of customers a week, his team will occasionally drop the ball, get it wrong or just plain fail ! Its a fact of business,that no business wants unhappy customers it defeats the purpose, no business deliberately goes out to let a customer down, however when the proverbial does hit the fan which it occasionally does, The General believes its how you respond that counts, hence his complaints response unit... Their role is to always follow up any complaints and try and solve them to the customers satisfaction, however they need to be given the chance its this teams role to work with the customer to fix a problem and get it right...All we ask is for the opportunity. if you would like to have a problem rectified or give The General feedback on the behavior and practices of his troops he welcomes this as part of his continues improvement regime ... The General adheres to the Australian standard for dealing with complaints AS ISO 10002—2006 You can send your details C/0 Jayden at HQ@generaltrades.com.auHi again Angela Just following up to our previous email, as stated we would like to investigate your claims further, as well as provide you a full refund as well as an extra $100 for your troubles, in order to keep improving our services it is important for us to follow up all dissatisfied customers, please contact us at your earliest convenience. Regards Customer Care Team Maybe I wasn't clear enough u quoted on the work - I got someone else to do it and saved myself $900 in the process

The Hard Shell

i've used this guys twice. I'm a moron!

Both times I feel I had the 'hard sell' put on me. the first time I agreed to having my whole pipes replaced and paid $6000. I was told to be quick, they had an excavator availble for the next day, if I waited I would miss out, I was getting a great deal etc etc.

This time when I had another drain blocked I applied for the $99 clearing fee but prepared in advance that if it was going to be require more work I would get quotes etc.

What happened is this:
- firstly I get a call saying that to access the pipe the whole toilet needs to be removed and then replaced. They quote me $670 for a new toilet, replacement etc etc to and ok I agree. Seems reasonable.

- then after taking off the toilet they say actually there is a crack in the pipe and to fix will be $1900 but we can do it for you for $1500 ex GST.

- I come take a look (it's small and near the surface, it isn't that serious a job). I get a lot of "we could do it today but if you hesitate it may not be until Friday etc". Also, we'll halve the price of having the toilet replaced.

At this stage I think that I want to get other quotes. I can't just accept this without thinking it over. I get told "well, if you don't want to book us right this very second, you now need to pay me a $370 'call out fee'! What?! when did the $99 drain clearing become a $370 call out fee and no drain unblocked?!

I ended up finding another tradie to do it, that same day, with a slightly different method and it cost $400.

These guys 'deploy' marketing tactics on their customers to get a hard sell and suspect that very few people ever get just a bill of $99
fast call out
hard sell, up sell, expensive, manipulative, not flexible

Hi Heather, we re sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction, it would be ludicrous to the extreme, to let customers down on purpose, our tradesmen are trained to never put pressure on customers, in fact they only get bonus-ed when they get a compliment from a customer and are faced with dismissal if they get three strikes against them that is three complaints and they are out.We have over 60 tradesmen on the road on any given day so sometimes its hard to keep track and ensure they are all following our protocols, If you would would like to contact our Customer responce unit we would like to know who the tradie was that attended your job so we can make sure he or she is following the generals good old fashioned service hand book ( Yes we do actually have one) The Generals Response Unit is part of his customer care team. Although he trains his teams to be the best they can, he also knows that he is dealing with people and sometimes people have a bad day and don't always get it right, he knows that when dealing with literally hundreds of customers a week, his team will occasionally drop the ball, get it wrong or just plain fail ! Its a fact of business,that no business wants unhappy customers it defeats the purpose, no business deliberately goes out to let a customer down, however when the proverbial does hit the fan which it occasionally does, The General believes its how you respond that counts, hence his complaints response unit... Their role is to always follow up any complaints and try and solve them to the customers satisfaction, however they need to be given the chance its this teams role to work with the customer to fix a problem and get it right...All we ask is for the opportunity. if you would like to have a problem rectified or give The General feedback on the behavior and practices of his troops he welcomes this as part of his continues improvement regime ... The General adheres to the Australian standard for dealing with complaints AS ISO 10002—2006 You can send your details C/0 Jayden at HQ@generaltrades.com.au

Would Never use them, Unreliable and don't live up to their own mottos.

Do Not Use General Trades, they are a waste of time. I called and booked my job in and was told my toilet would be installed at 7am today, called them at 8:15am to be told someone would be here within 2 hours. Called them again around 10, then 1:06pm. Received a call from them at 2:30 to be told someone would be here by 4:30. At 5:15pm they turned up, then decided they could not do the job today because of the time. Told them I'd get someone else to do it. I will never call General Trades again for any work that needs doing, and will tell everyone I know to never use their services either. The general does not live up to its promises, fails to turn up when advised, fails to notify customers of delays, then refuses to do the work because of the time. General, you will not gain any customers from the people that i come into contact with if I have any say in the matter.

Failed to arrive at 7am, promised someone would be out each of the 4 times contact was made. Finally arrived and would not do the job because it was 5:30pm

Dear G As we have done when you made your initial complaint we again apologize profusely for letting you down, we admit we did drop the ball on this occasion as we also pointed out it would be dumb to do this on purpose and a waste of the may dollars we spend on building our brand, if this was common practice. In our defense as discussed in our initial written response we do over 300 jobs a week,which equates to literally thousands of jobs a year our team is human and although we do have protocols and procedures in place we do on occasion drop the ball, sometimes a job gors longer than anticipated, or a team member calls in sick which then flows on to a situation like yours this is no excuse just one of the challenges we face when running a business with over 60 tradesmen on the road on any given day once gain all we can do is apologize again.. The General...

No stars! Avoid!

2 months after they initially came out they have done nothing despite countless phone calls. Still haven't ordered the part which the 1st guy was meant to do. Their excuse.
.. He's left the company. 2nd appointment guy didn't turn up, excuse computer system had gone down, 3rd visit the guy didn't do with the bio treatment because he wasn't told what was required. And now they are ordering a part. Worst of all they seem to think because they tell me all these excuses that makes things right! Avoid!!! This is clearly a company that's about to go bust cos with such a terrie service.
Not much although the latest plumber sounds more promising.
Totally disorganized.

Play on your insecurities

While they came out straight away, there was a definite push to sell you something else. To play on your insecurities and your lack of knowledge of the area in question, for me it was an electrical fault. They fixed the problem (it turns out just a fuse to be replaced) and then said they wouldn't charge if I signed up to have a much more major job done - over $2K. I initially said yes - as I felt my house would burn down if I didn't do this. Luckily sanity kicked in the next when I realised and did some researching that I did not need the extra work and rang them immediately and cancelled. I still had to pay for the deposit as they said this is what the initial job would have cost - I doubt that very much having rang a couple of other companies. Not a very honest company - it is very much you need steak knives - not do you want steak knives.
Responded within 2 hours
Play on your insecurities and sell you the need that more work needs to be done

Hi Caroline, We re sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction, it would be ludicrous to the extreme, to let customers down on purpose, or qoute for work that isnt needed in fact its illegal and we would lose or licence if we encouraged such reprehensible practices,our tradesmen are trained to never put pressure on customers, in fact they only get bonus-ed when they get a compliment from a customer and are faced with dismissal if they get three strikes against them that is three complaints and they are out. We have over 60 tradesmen on the road on any given day so sometimes its hard to keep track and ensure they are all following our protocols, If you would would like to contact our Customer responce unit, we would like to know who the tradie was that attended your job so we can make sure he or she is following the generals good old fashioned service hand book ( Yes we do actually have one) The Generals Response Unit is part of his customer care team. Although he trains his teams to be the best they can, he also knows that he is dealing with people and sometimes people have a bad day and don't always get it right, he knows that when dealing with literally hundreds of customers a week, his team will occasionally drop the ball, get it wrong or just plain fail ! Its a fact of business,that no business wants unhappy customers it defeats the purpose, no business deliberately goes out to let a customer down, however when the proverbial does hit the fan which it occasionally does, The General believes its how you respond that counts, hence his complaints response unit... Their role is to always follow up any complaints and try and solve them to the customers satisfaction, however they need to be given the chance its this teams role to work with the customer to fix a problem and get it right...All we ask is for the opportunity. if you would like to have a problem rectified or give The General feedback on the behavior and practices of his troops he welcomes this as part of his continues improvement regime ... The General adheres to the Australian standard for dealing with complaints AS ISO 10002—2006 You can send your details C/0 Jayden at HQ@generaltrades.com.au