Giant Anthem X 1 29er 2011

Giant Anthem X 1 29er 2011

5.0 from 1 review

See the Best Mountain Bikes in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

2011 Anthem X1 29er

Light at 12.2kg, solid wheels set at 2100gms and an easy swap-out for say ZTR Crest wheel-set and save 0.5kg = 11.7kg 29er dually. Nice.

This rolls over everything easier than my 26", noticeable on the transition to a climb where the 26" slows into the climb far more than the 29er. The 29er holds more speed into the climb, particularly if the climb begins with a rough entry, as many do. Following 26" bikes on rolling trails when not pedaling the 29er closes ground very quickly as it is not interrupted in its rolling flow as much as a 26". Stutter bumps on a 26" are a easy flow on the 29er.

Climbs well, in fact because of the longer chain stay length the pedal energy pushes the bike forward as the rider weight is further forward of the rear hub. I found I held a higher gear than the 26" around me on a climb and made round on riders I usually don't hold on to.
Fast technical cornering is better because the larger contact patch on the front wheel gives more feel and allows higher mid corner speed so exits are faster. I found I could trowel the front and get a tight turn rather than trail braking through the corner, allowing the bike to exit with more speed.

On the contact patch, the 29er front wheel will hold onto longitudinal edges, like the sides of motorbike wheel ruts far better than a 26" which will slide down into the hole, this means the 29er rider doesn't have to be so accurate and choosy on the line taken as the 29er grips and holds line better. This means less focus on the riding and more time to focus on the fun of riding.

Not all 29er are made equal and I recommend a ride on a few and back to back them over the same trail. I found some of the more expensive bikes were not as good as this Giant to ride. Some 29ers at twice the price were also heavier so don't get sucked in by the brand name, ride them and see what works for you.
Weight 12.2kg, pedals really well, flows over everything
Color scheme may not be to every ones taste.