GIO Home and Contents

GIO Home and Contents (page 2 of 7)

See the Best Home and Contents Insurance in 2022 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Listing monitored by GIO

• Claim Resolution Time
    • <1 week (3)
    • 1-2 weeks (1)
    • 2-4 weeks (2)
    • 1-2 months (2)
    • 3+ months (14)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (18) · No (5)

Lisam
Lisam

Cancelled without being informed after 26 years

Got a renewal notice this year so it was not even marked on record that I took my complaint about their shocking behaviour last year to a regulator. lost a thirty year customer dye to cancelling my cover because they didnt have my New address instead of using the correct phone number or email to contact me. Their excuse was i had a preference for mail contact. Right. also mixed up correspondence from A year prior, cancelling again due to unfixed damage that had been fixed and which They acknowledged had been fixed and was on record as being so. The worst i e ever dealt with.

Kim Thoa B.
Kim Thoa B.

A company that help others during a pandemic

I called up GIO to tell ask if they have any financial relief for people whom effected by covid-19 and they gave me 3 month off, very unexpected thank you!

LW
LWSouth-Eastern Region, NSW

No reward for loyalty

GIO thought it was fine to charge me for insurance they weren't willing to offer me. I had kept my home contents insurance with GIO for 6 consecutive years. I was transferred to the south coast for work and was organising my move at the end of 2019. When the bushfires struck GIO refused to cover my contents due to an embargo on my new postcode despite the fact that I was an existing customer. They were happy for me to keep paying, but couldn't actually tell me when they would lift to embargo and be able to offer me cover. I will never insure with GIO again.

Coverage TypeContents Only
pkon
pkonSydney

Victim of crime: claim experience

My 75 year old mother's fence was rammed by a stolen car at 3am in the morning. Terrified but not hurt. Police attended but the driver had run off. We have a Police reference number and the rego of the stolen car but naturally, we don't know if the driver has been identified and even if we did, we would not know who it is. So, a loyal customer, a pensioner and a victim of crime has to fork out $600 she can't spare for GIO to "investigate" and then decide if they should refund the excess. OMG! Really GIO, shame. On the plus side, the person who too my call was excellent, sympathetic and genuinely concerned for my mum's welfare. Five stars for him and minus 4 for the company. Peter K

Home and Contents Insurance

Find out how GIO Home and Contents compares to other Home and Contents Insurance

mickscott
mickscottHunter Region, NSW

Worst insurance ever

Larraine
LarraineSydney, NSW

Have had no trouble at all

I have been with gio with a very bad car accident we had and I thought they were great and have just had a claim with flooring and again they were great have had no problems at all

australia
australiaaustralia nsw

Totally Incompetent

I phoned GIO on behalf of a friend, requesting the Home & Contents Insurance Policy PDS to be forwarded.

D.O.B. of the recipient was requested prior to it being issued. When I questioned this, I was then advised it could not be forwarded unless a quote was also issued.

I was speechless!!!

A potential client needs to review the PDS BEFORE a quote, to ascertain whether GIO's policy suits their requirement, (their advts. also advocate this).

This has cost GIO 2 potential clients.

Their attitude is beyond belief.

Super Funds Awards 2022!

Wendy Z.12 Jan 2022
super-funds-awards-2020
Credit Card Awards 2020

Wendy Z.19 Nov 2019
credit-card-awards-2020
What Is Peer-To-Peer Lending?

Nathan S.14 Nov 2019
what-is-peer-to-peer-lending
Katharine
KatharineGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Does not even deserve 1 star!!

This company is absolutely useless, and that is putting it politely. Workers are clearly incompetent. Nobody gets back to you when they say they will, and we still waiting on damage to our roof and ceiling as a result of a severe jail storm in January to be fixed!! Meanwhile, we have water coming through the ceiling in all rooms whenever it rains! Stay away from this company.

B F.Sydney, NSW

Two full months and cannot reach them - with rooms out of commission

PopHi
PopHi

They do not pay claims

POOR QUALITY REVIEW
POOR QUALITY REVIEWmelbourne

How Do Insurance Get Away With Profiteering!

Beware when adding your details. They already use your address in their database.
When you have a policy with them your insurance quotes will be three times higher then a new policy if the new quote does not have that address in there system. How can you charge a person $1000 for their house insurance one year and the next year quote $4000 without having claimed. Don't be fooled by the system. How they get away with this fraudulant behaviour is barbaric. Also make sure you know which insurance company owns or the other. Good when you have to shop around for quotes.

Coco-Bear
Coco-BearMelbourne

Poor customer service

I purchased a policy after receiving a quote and correcting errors made by GIO. I hope they are listening to the conversations that are recording for quality assurance purposes.
Called back to confirm they had my correct email address, which they didn't, now corrected. Asked for the documents to be re sent. Receive an email a few minutes later with policy documents but no cost, price, receipt or proof of payment. Rang again and told it will take 5 working days to send a receipt. What a load of crap. Does anyone make a purchase of $1,200 or more and not receive a receipt immediately? Will be cancelling the contract tomorrow.

Sharon E.
Sharon E.

Paying a fortune for insurance without really having any insurance

We thought we were covered for everything with GIO, we pay a ridiculous amount more in premiums a year than other companies charge thinking we were covered for everything and would be looked after if the need arises, HOW WRONG WE WERE!!!!!!. Put in a claim in which there was mimable damage at the time but after nearly 4mths the damage has gotten worse and repair cost increased significantly with no resolution in site from GIO home repair team, unfortunately the only way l found to get any progression what so ever was go use the GIO complaints line. Still waiting for a call back from week ago. Dont waist your time money or energy with GIO

totally dysfunctional claims department and GIO home repair Team Terrible time wasting experience

6 weeks delay to replace skylight dome , water damaged attic flooring and electrician , small claim around $4,500 two days work at the outside . home repair team hopeless they will not answer emails

Claim Made Yes
GailP
GailP

28 years of cover

We have had our house and contents insured with GIO for about 25 years and have had several claims all have been resolved in a reasonable time frame and to our satisfaction with minimum fuss. Workmanship has been very good on most occasions. Policy price has certainly increased over the years but isn't excessive.

Claim Made Yes
Cair
CairSydney, NSW

Superior service in every way

Stephen
StephenSydney, NSW

Integrity of gio home insurance

My parents made a claim for hail damage in December as of 9/4/19 gio contractors have completed no progress the 500 dollars access has been paid the start and completion date has long past many phone calls to the builder and gio show a lack of sincerity and integrity if this is not address in 7 days legal action will be pending

K.....
K.....

Take excess quick. Repair slow!

Made a claim in early January. Excess taken immediately. Claim Accepted. Nothing done almost April. No aircon for most of summer. Thanks very much! Not even excuses just no action.

Mouse
MouseSydney, NSW

GIO claim service was friendly, proactive and helpful.

Our home was significantly damaged after the Berowra Heights 20/12/2018 hail storm.
GIO was friendly, proactive and helpful - During the claim process.
The face to face presentation organised by Suncorp, for hail damage affected customers, was excellent.
I have spoken to a number of Berowra residents affected by the hail storm. The Suncorp customers I have spoken with seem happy. There are a number of non Suncorp customers, quite unhappy.

Karen E Norman
Karen E NormanSydney, NSW

Disgusted and frustrated with process

We have been insured with GIO for over 20 years with numerous motor vehicle and house policies. We recently had a water leak in our balcony. I had to pay the $1000 excess for them to tell me that they would only repair part of the job which was worth under $1000. Partially accepted the claim?? The balcony became dangerous as they took so long to assess it. I had to have it staked and remove tiles to assess that it was not due to poor tile maintenance as they suggested. After 2 months they still have not decided what to do. Will be taking this to fair trading.

Coverage TypeHome & Contents
pug002
pug002

Totally Outraged!

Property TypeOther
spike0108Sydney

No dial back functionality - shocking customer appreciation

I have been on the phone for just on 1 hr. No call back functionality - unbelievable. Sack your manager of customer service and engage someone who understands what those 2 words mean!! With all the weather related disasters you guys need to-step up and bring in much more staff on weekends.... not 2.
My house has 6 destroyed skylights, 2 tarps covering the whole roof which has 200 damaged roof tiles and these tarps have dislodged after last nights storm. Do you think i can find someone in the customer service area who can get someone around to secure before the possible thunderstorm tonight.
The good thing..... waiting and listening to the hold music for 1 hr made me so angry i decided to write this review

Outraged
OutragedSydney

Waiting over an hour for a phone to be answered and no call back function

Trying to make a claim for my mother with dementia who has to be the person speaking to them and have been waiting for an hour with her almost hysterical besides me. If I hang up I’ll have to wait an hour again or who knows how long!!!!!! Haven’t made a claim because I can’t get through!!!!

Insurance claim madeNo

Australians Deserve Better Services, Come one Management you need to lift your Game

Insurance claim madeYes

Rude customer service

Tried to cancel within the cooling off period, the operator was not clear with the cancellation and tried to not refund me the full amount. Rude customer service, being condescending and patronizing. Unbelievable attitude, I won't be insuring with GIO anymore, no matter the price. Have never been treated like that, the operator called me a liar and tried to make it sound like I wasn't being truthful when in fact I didn't misunderstood what he was saying. Just do your job and don't give customers attitude.

Insurance claim madeNo