GIO Home and Contents

GIO Home and Contents

See the Best Home and Contents Insurance in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Listing monitored by GIO

• Claim Resolution Time
    • 1-2 months (1)
    • 3+ months (12)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (9) · No (4)
Alex M.
Alex M.

2021 WORSE INSURANCE COMPANY - due to incompetent staff member

Nader
NaderSydney, NSW

Storm damage

David
DavidGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Lifetime Repair Guarantee does not mean Lifetime repair Guarantee!

Our heating and air conditioning unit has an issue with it called up GIO because we have a lifetime repair Guarantee on the unit itself and after a full day of back and forth with GIO employees with different options on if we are covered or not the denied the request. Had to continually call them because they were not informing me when they said they would. Now we are stuck with no heating in winter time due to the lack of professionalism by the employees who I dealt with. One employee and there supervisor told me it was all covered and then transferred me to another department where after 5 hours of no contact when I rang just said no we will not be covering your claim. I believe they did not manage this claim in a professional manner.

Aggro
AggroNewcastle

GIO - DO NOT USE

Home and Contents Insurance

Find out how GIO Home and Contents compares to other Home and Contents Insurance

Wayne
WayneSydney Surrounds, NSW

House Insurance Claim Process

From my once only experience with a house insurance claim, I found the process employed by GIO outdated, lacked communication, feedback non existent, the case manager lacked interest and the onus was on the customer to pursue/follow up the GIO contracted tradesman.

Utterly frustrated with the whole process, I gave up and paid for the repairs out of my own pocket. GIO, never again.

Chad
ChadSydney, NSW

don't use GIO. they will try hard to get out of insuring you.

Brian
BrianPerth, WA

Premium creep a total rip off

We have been insured with GIO for house and contents over 10 years with just one claim which was a terrible experience. But they paid in the end so we stuck with them. Our premium just went up 26% to nearly $4,000pa with a $600 excess so I got a quote for identical cover from RACWA for $1600 and a $200 excess. Either they are pricing WA out of the market or we are paying for all of the recent QLD claims (since they are owned by Suncorp)

Super Funds Awards 2020!

Wendy Z.7 Nov 2019
super-funds-awards-2020
Credit Card Awards 2020

Wendy Z.19 Nov 2019
credit-card-awards-2020
What Is Peer-To-Peer Lending?

Nathan S.14 Nov 2019

JarradGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Poor claims experience

LaNZ
LaNZSydney

Claim made worse by GIO contractors and claims department not acting with diligence

Peter
PeterSydney, NSW

Royal Commission - please review GIO

As a strata manager subjected to GIO’s rock bottom service levels where attempted to notify about a potential forthcoming claim, spending 30+ min first waiting and then patiently explaining the reasons another 30+ min to incompetent support legal staff that have no idea about their own instructions in PDS to policy holders, this is a company that is in serious need of a RC s review. It does not get worse than this. Appalling systemic service issues where I was hung up upon whilst asking questions being accused of being rude (when the opposite was nearer the truth - check the phone recording). Nobody here seems to care about their customers. Take your insurance needs elsewhere - this company is a lemon in all aspects. You have been warned.

Bill
BillSydney Surrounds, NSW

No loyalty, UNAUSTRAILIAN

My wife has been insured with GIO all her life we have been together for 12 years and in the past 4 we have cancelled most of our policies with GIO, due to the fact they keep going up exponentially. We have never made a claimed at all, I can understand price increases with inflation but when you are talking about 19% in 1 year I am sorry but GIO is now in the trash can!
I just cancelled our 2nd last policy today and the operator didn't even question why.
GIO you are up there with Telstra one of the most UNAUSTRALIAN companies very disappointed you have lost us forever!!!!

Coverage TypeContents Only

Cate
CateGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

THE BIGGEST RIP OFF INSURANCE

After we received our most recent renewal earlier this month and saw that it had gone up 33.6% to an exorbitant amount of $9,259.92 annually for a strata complex, we contacted another insurance company for a price comparison. We were shocked to discover that, for the same cover for building and contents and the same excess and flood insurance, the premium from another well known insurer was only $2,020.08 annually. This is a saving of $7,239.84  for the year.

We had been using GIO for our home and content insurance for 12 years and thought they were a reputable decent insurance company. Disgraceful GIO. You should be ashamed of yourself. Do your homework and stay away from the outrageously, exorbitant insurance company.

Ego Est
Ego EstSydney, NSW

Fair to poor claim experience

Coverage TypeHome & Contents

took our money under false pretenses

definitively not good value. We had new for old car insurance and discovered it was a con. After 3 years it didnt't actually exist under new for old. we have now discovered that we have been insuring our home and contents thru them and our homes are not actually insured as our homes are on farms but they don't insure houses on farms even though when we got quotes they knew the houses were on farms
we will never insure through them again now going to cancel our boat insurance as well.
They won't get a star rating at all from me

mickscott
mickscottasked

I would be very interested to hear from somebody at GIO about their reviews here and what I consider a very poor rating of 2 stars from 122 reviews . Does this even concern anybody at GIO ? It concerns me to think my family has been paying thousands of dollars every year for the last 45 years for what seems to be second rate insurance . Very disturbing for a staunch loyal 45 year customer .

Larraine
Larraine

I have just had contents ins claim and had no trouble they were very easy to deal with and have settled claim with no trouble at all

Daphne E.
Daphne E.asked

I submitted a very important question this morning and submitted my question. Have not seen any
reply. Daphne

PopHi
PopHi

What was the important question?

Michelle D.
Michelle D.asked

Does contents insurance cover damage by someone's horse to anothers persons car.

Fired Up
Fired Up

Check with GIO

See all GIO Home and Contents questions

Get an answer from our members and GIO representatives

CategoryHome and Contents Insurance
Other Insurance Types Offered Business, Car, Funeral, Home and Contents, Landlord, Life, Motorcycle and Travel