GIO Home and Contents

GIO Home and Contents

See the Best Home and Contents Insurance in 2022 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Listing monitored by GIO

• Claim Resolution Time
    • <1 week (3)
    • 1-2 weeks (1)
    • 2-4 weeks (2)
    • 1-2 months (2)
    • 3+ months (14)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (18) · No (5)

Dennis
Dennis

Look elsewhere GIO can not even manage a simple claim.

Rebecca S
Rebecca SGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Worst insurance company!

I have tried to call my case manager left messages and emails for over 2 weeks to arrange repairs and no return calls or emails. Paid my excess and now nothing. A joke for an insurance company

Coverage TypeHome Only
len attard
len attardLeura

Praise for GIO

Tan
TanLondon

DO NOT USE GIO - read my experience BUDGET DIRECT 1/2 the price with better coverage

GIO staff are incompetent, they are not trained in their policies so the advice that they give you is inaccurate, this results in your insurance policy being useless. When you raise the issue of advice provided by numerous consultants, they ignore this. So my insurance cost me over $4800 for the year, I was not covered and Budget Direct was half the price with better coverage. SHOP around and avoid GIO at all cost.

Home and Contents Insurance

Find out how GIO Home and Contents compares to other Home and Contents Insurance

Thinh Ly
Thinh LySydney, NSW

Loyal Customer - Very Disappointed

Geoff
GeoffIllawarra, NSW

Honesty required from policyholders, but it's not display by GIO in their dealings

BuyGeorge
BuyGeorgeGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Where you can go

I've been browsing insurance companies today. As always, I check reviews submitted on product review, too. Consumers, if you are having issues with your claim contact the Australian Financial Complaints Authority. It is a free and independent service to assist with the resolution of consumer claims.

Coverage TypeContents Only

Super Funds Awards 2022!

Wendy Z.12 Jan 2022
super-funds-awards-2020
Credit Card Awards 2020

Wendy Z.19 Nov 2019
credit-card-awards-2020
What Is Peer-To-Peer Lending?

Nathan S.14 Nov 2019

NaderSydney, NSW

Storm damage

David
DavidGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Lifetime Repair Guarantee does not mean Lifetime repair Guarantee!

Our heating and air conditioning unit has an issue with it called up GIO because we have a lifetime repair Guarantee on the unit itself and after a full day of back and forth with GIO employees with different options on if we are covered or not the denied the request. Had to continually call them because they were not informing me when they said they would. Now we are stuck with no heating in winter time due to the lack of professionalism by the employees who I dealt with. One employee and there supervisor told me it was all covered and then transferred me to another department where after 5 hours of no contact when I rang just said no we will not be covering your claim. I believe they did not manage this claim in a professional manner.

Aggro
AggroNewcastle

GIO - DO NOT USE

Wayne
WayneSydney Surrounds, NSW

House Insurance Claim Process

From my once only experience with a house insurance claim, I found the process employed by GIO outdated, lacked communication, feedback non existent, the case manager lacked interest and the onus was on the customer to pursue/follow up the GIO contracted tradesman.

Utterly frustrated with the whole process, I gave up and paid for the repairs out of my own pocket. GIO, never again.

Chad
ChadSydney, NSW

don't use GIO. they will try hard to get out of insuring you.

Brian
BrianPerth, WA

Premium creep a total rip off

We have been insured with GIO for house and contents over 10 years with just one claim which was a terrible experience. But they paid in the end so we stuck with them. Our premium just went up 26% to nearly $4,000pa with a $600 excess so I got a quote for identical cover from RACWA for $1600 and a $200 excess. Either they are pricing WA out of the market or we are paying for all of the recent QLD claims (since they are owned by Suncorp)

Hermes
HermesGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

*** 2021 Worse Insurance Company - due to incompetent staff member ***

mickscott
mickscottasked

I would be very interested to hear from somebody at GIO about their reviews here and what I consider a very poor rating of 2 stars from 122 reviews . Does this even concern anybody at GIO ? It concerns me to think my family has been paying thousands of dollars every year for the last 45 years for what seems to be second rate insurance . Very disturbing for a staunch loyal 45 year customer .

Larraine
Larraine

I have just had contents ins claim and had no trouble they were very easy to deal with and have settled claim with no trouble at all

Daphne E.
Daphne E.asked

I submitted a very important question this morning and submitted my question. Have not seen any
reply. Daphne

PopHi
PopHi

What was the important question?

Michelle D.
Michelle D.asked

Does contents insurance cover damage by someone's horse to anothers persons car.

Fired Up
Fired Up

Check with GIO

David B.
David B.

only if the horse is comprehensively insured

See all GIO Home and Contents questions

Get an answer from our members and GIO representatives

CategoryHome and Contents Insurance
Other Insurance Types Offered Business, Car, Funeral, Home and Contents, Landlord, Life, Motorcycle and Travel