GMHBA Health Insurance

GMHBA Health Insurance

• Claim Resolution Time
    • <1 week (5)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (4) · No (0)
Old boy

Old boyNarrabundah 2604, ACT

Good fund if Victorian based

I have been with GMHBA a long time. Great service and reasonably priced. However after heart surgery I received Pathology Bills close to $2,000 from Capital Pathology ( I am a ACT resident) ...GMHBA do not have a no fee agreement with them. Most funds do. Always confused whether Ambulance is covered or not. No confusion with most other funds. Would get a better deal with dental/specs if I lived in Vic. Anyway, I think they are a great fund but maybe not for ACT residents.

Stuart

StuartGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Just another Insurer that takes and gives little in return.

Policy was not good value. A recent experience showed me that GMHBA offered me nothing more than my previous Insurer, I was extremely disappointed in the service provided. Not happy.

JannHunter Region, NSW

Policy compares well but dodgy accounting problems

Reasonably priced policy. We usually pay annually, but with Covid issues, decided to go monthly. That got annoying, so we enquired re paying the balance of the year i.e. 9 months. Following month we recieved a dishonour fee from the bank. GMHBA had tried to withdraw 12 months payment for 9 months cover. Finally rectified that issue and paid for 1 month. The next month, same thing...dishonour fee, attempted payment for 12 months, this time for 8 months cover. We demanded they compensate both dishonour fees...so far only recieved one. Accounts dept need to let the left hand know what the right hand is doing. They get one more chance.

JohnGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

insurance ok private hospital In town is rubbish and and no other choice

It’s ok good there is a branch in town for us oldies otherwise it doesnt matter all Same or similar prices no one likes talking to a robot so that’s my waver

Claim MadeNo

RoseL

RoseL

Health Insurance is expensive and refunds are at best average.

I pay for Silver + Hospital which is top cover for seniors. For my recent hospitalisation I paid an excess ($250 being half of annual excess as I've had a previous admission this year). The GAP after Medicare and Health Fund refunds for my surgeon was more than half of the fee, and the GAP after refunds for my anaethetist was more than one third of the fee.
Health Insurance Premiums have increased markedly in recent years but despite paying more the refunds are growing expotentially. It is time the Health Funds lobbied the Government for changes that see premiums increasing less and refunds increasing more.
It is becoming less attractive for me to continue being insured when Public Hospital care is free!

Eileen Kennedy

Eileen KennedyWestern District, VIC

Premiums keep rising and services reducing.

I have only used my plan for doctor visits and diagnostic testing, although I have used the extras package quite a bit. Claims are managed well at this level of us.

Pointless surveys

Private health insurance is not good value but a necessity.Slowly but surely the benefits diminishes as the premiums increase. All companies make it easy to sign up so pointless question.Claims are handled efficiently.I think about 6 or 7 years

Claim MadeYes
Claim Resolution Time<1 week

Trevor

TrevorSouthwest, VIC

Things that could be better

Have been with GMHBA for many years but do find that it is one of the more expensive funds and often out of pocket quite a bit - even when using GMHBA Dental etc. No major concerns really but high membership costs should reduce out of pocket expenses.

Satisfied with previous contacts

Policy was obtained from a take over from the Druids Lodge
Detail posted back within a few days, polite phone handling when information required.
Since takeover form Druids Hospital benefits-approx. 20 years

Find out how GMHBA Health Insurance compares to other Health Insurance

Good but could be better!

Overall my policy is really good but I encountered problems with some stuff that every other health insurance covers and GMHBA won't cover a single dime for (example: sleep apnea machine). Also, I struggle to know my limits because they had "a problem in their system" for over a year now.

Adrian G.

Adrian G.Southwest, VIC

Improved Dental Benefits for all.

Richard Morton

Richard MortonBudgewoi

Not long enough yet

1 year thank you very much haven’t been with you long enough so can’t say much so that’s all from me

Judy c

Judy c

So glad we did it.

Transferred from HCF 20 months ago, got the same cover for less, so glad we did. Great customer service, very easy to deal with, and also very helpful.

Expensive but necessary

Both my wife and myself have been long time members of GMHBA ,over 50 years. We have raised a family of 3 children in this time.

happy to date

only been a member for 3 months to date we have been very happy with our membership. it was a very big call for us to move to a new fund, after 30 years with BUPA

Somewhat satisfactory

I have been with GMHBA health insurance for many years and find the hospital cover to be excellent. I am not as positive about the ancillaries cover as it has very low reimbursement amounts in most areas.

Will I or Wont I join up

I am debating to join the fund but reading your feedback makes me nervous but gives me lots to ask next time the phone person calls to get me to sign up and I will ask if it is recorded. They do make it sound like it is soooo easy.
Anyone have something eslt to add that I should be aware of. It is a real pain to switch health funds so don't want to be sorry but I am paying quite a substantial lot more where I am

Insurance claim madeNo

Still getting to know dental policy

I went into my dentist to get tooth lengthening my claim was declined because my dentist was not known to be a specialist (a periodontist) and for this procedure in there system, they will only pay out if they are a specialist so therefore my c was declined. Even though my dentist has performed many of these procedures and their health care insurers accepted their claims. Plus even if you go to a periodontist the appointment alone would of cost more than the treatment.
So check first with your treatment plan to see if you'll be able to claim.

Plettz

PlettzKiama

A little dubious - were quick to send out direct debit rejections

I joined GMHBA via Members' Own aggregator and was told by Members' Own that I would be billed two weeks or so after joining up which was on a Saturday. Anyway, Monday came and I didn't have enough in my credit card but GMHBA already tried to deduct my membership payments. The date my first payment would be taken which I advised of by Members' Own probably isn't GMHBA's fault but sure enough, I got a direct debit rejection letter. That rejection letter arrived quicker than my welcome letter or card. You know where their priorities lie.

I'll wait to see what happens when I actually need to claim something.

Shiney68

Shiney68NSW

INITIAL experience is OK but yet to claim

I maybe a little disappointed at the moment as the transfer from old to new Insurer, the payments are still wrong as my old health Insurer are taking payments and GMBHA are not yet collecting the payments so the transfer process is failed, the terms look to be better than my previous but cost roughly the same so the claiming will be the deciding factor.

See all GMHBA Health Insurance reviews

Carol W.asked

Is GMHBA refunding extras to policy holders not used during COVID?

John

Perhaps a rethink on the way this question is asked may help - at least me - especially the reference to COVID
I am not aware of what may be suggested here
What exactly has prompted this question?
Is their murmuring within the ranks I know nothing about?

Carol W.

There was a mention on Channel 7 last week that some health funds were refunding portions of unused extras on policies during 2020.

John

Thanks. It is now dawning on me as to your intent ... don't follow those type of sensational Public Affairs TV shows
My response: Why expect a refund?
What about 'normal' years when 'we' don't use all of our 'entitlements'
So, why should we cry foul just because we have a political lockdown?

I did not receive a full Extras refund fr GMHBA on new spectacles, as I did not think to check if my wife had claimed earlier in the same year (mine was at a considerable cost - three sets of specs: general, reading and 'required' prescription sun glasses (early cataracts developing). If I had just held out till the new Extras year rolled over ... !

Would be nice to be able to claim 'certain extras' to support specific medical conditions, in my case, a quality BP monitor
My long history of cardiac claims (GMHBA) would surely have given some value where our GMHBA Extras have generally (I think) been on the moderate side. Not sure how this could be manageable without an even greater admin burden on the Health Fund

And where do you stop like, a no-claim bonus where we don't use our Hospital cover for any year?

On my care insurance I recently had an automatic refund of approx $250, all because I had just included one of my daughters (aged 45) as another authorized driver (not a full-time driver). I was not under any penalties on that policy, although her no-claim accident history counted towards that $250.

My only point here is flexibility if possible at all, and every case on its merit and loyalty. Thank you. John

Elke

Elkeasked

Is varicose vein treatment covered in the Bronze Plus Insurance package? It is not clear. It does not mention veins, only blood.

Jann

Try ringing them on their 13hundred number and asking.

Joyce H.

Joyce H.asked

How do I claim on a podiatry paid account ,I am in gold class over the internet

Jann

Contact GMHBA and they can send you a direct link to send a photo image of the account. Very easy and payment is usually in your account within 1 - 2 days. Then each time you make a claim you use that same link.

See all GMHBA Health Insurance questions