GMHBA Health Insurance

Listing monitored by GMHBA Health Insurance

• Claim Resolution Time
    • <1 week (5)
    • 3+ months (2)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (4) · No (2)
VVV
VVV

Terrible!

Paul
Paul

Good company slow each year with Tax Statements

Each year this fund is late collating statements for ATO last year was 21st of July 2021. Operator unhelpful when I enquired so I can do a tax return. Told me they were aiming for 8th of July but not really sure. Fund us ok just they put premiums up for existing members but gave new members 6 weeks free. They also didn’t rebate like some other funds due to Covid. Sadly I will have to change funds for a better deal.

Old boyNarrabundah 2604, ACT

Good fund if Victorian based

I have been with GMHBA a long time. Great service and reasonably priced. However after heart surgery I received Pathology Bills close to $2,000 from Capital Pathology ( I am a ACT resident) ...GMHBA do not have a no fee agreement with them. Most funds do. Always confused whether Ambulance is covered or not. No confusion with most other funds. Would get a better deal with dental/specs if I lived in Vic. Anyway, I think they are a great fund but maybe not for ACT residents.

Kerry King
Kerry King Greater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

If I could give a negative score I would

Stuart
StuartGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Just another Insurer that takes and gives little in return.

Policy was not good value. A recent experience showed me that GMHBA offered me nothing more than my previous Insurer, I was extremely disappointed in the service provided. Not happy.

Review collected in partnership with GMHBA Health Insurance

Best Super Funds in 2020!

Wendy Z.7 Nov 2019
best-super-funds-in-2020

Best Credit Cards in 2020!

Wendy Z.19 Nov 2019
best-credit-cards-in-2020

Australian Government Rebates & Incentives for Private Health Insurance

Nathan S.7 Feb 2020
australian-government-rebates-incentives-for-private-health-insurance
JannHunter Region, NSW

Policy compares well but dodgy accounting problems

Reasonably priced policy. We usually pay annually, but with Covid issues, decided to go monthly. That got annoying, so we enquired re paying the balance of the year i.e. 9 months. Following month we recieved a dishonour fee from the bank. GMHBA had tried to withdraw 12 months payment for 9 months cover. Finally rectified that issue and paid for 1 month. The next month, same thing...dishonour fee, attempted payment for 12 months, this time for 8 months cover. We demanded they compensate both dishonour fees...so far only recieved one. Accounts dept need to let the left hand know what the right hand is doing. They get one more chance.

JohnGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

insurance ok private hospital In town is rubbish and and no other choice

It’s ok good there is a branch in town for us oldies otherwise it doesnt matter all Same or similar prices no one likes talking to a robot so that’s my waver

Claim Made No

Lagb
LagbVictoria

No environmental commitment

While other health insurance companies are divesting away from the fossil fuel industry, GMHBA has made no such commitment. I will be changing to a different fund by April 1 if no environmental commitment is made by GMHBA

Claim Made No
RoseL
RoseL

Health Insurance is expensive and refunds are at best average.

I pay for Silver + Hospital which is top cover for seniors. For my recent hospitalisation I paid an excess ($250 being half of annual excess as I've had a previous admission this year). The GAP after Medicare and Health Fund refunds for my surgeon was more than half of the fee, and the GAP after refunds for my anaethetist was more than one third of the fee.
Health Insurance Premiums have increased markedly in recent years but despite paying more the refunds are growing expotentially. It is time the Health Funds lobbied the Government for changes that see premiums increasing less and refunds increasing more.
It is becoming less attractive for me to continue being insured when Public Hospital care is free!

Eileen Kennedy
Eileen KennedyWestern District, VIC

Premiums keep rising and services reducing.

I have only used my plan for doctor visits and diagnostic testing, although I have used the extras package quite a bit. Claims are managed well at this level of us.

Pointless surveys

Private health insurance is not good value but a necessity.Slowly but surely the benefits diminishes as the premiums increase. All companies make it easy to sign up so pointless question.Claims are handled efficiently.I think about 6 or 7 years

Claim Made Yes
Claim Resolution Time<1 week

Trevor
TrevorSouthwest, VIC

Things that could be better

Have been with GMHBA for many years but do find that it is one of the more expensive funds and often out of pocket quite a bit - even when using GMHBA Dental etc. No major concerns really but high membership costs should reduce out of pocket expenses.

Satisfied with previous contacts

Policy was obtained from a take over from the Druids Lodge
Detail posted back within a few days, polite phone handling when information required.
Since takeover form Druids Hospital benefits-approx. 20 years

Review collected in partnership with GMHBA Health Insurance

Good but could be better!

Overall my policy is really good but I encountered problems with some stuff that every other health insurance covers and GMHBA won't cover a single dime for (example: sleep apnea machine). Also, I struggle to know my limits because they had "a problem in their system" for over a year now.

Adrian G.
Adrian G.Southwest, VIC

Improved Dental Benefits for all.

Wilma S.asked

Which A C T pathology groups do GMHBA have agreements with . I would like to join but have read reviews which Suggest ACT residents may be disadvantaged .thank you Wilma

Old boy

Capital Pathology has the bulk of the business in the ACT. Only a problem if you are hospitalised and lot of blood tests were done, as in my case. I am not sure if GMHBA has no fee agreements with others in the ACT.

Wilma S.

Thanks for your response . Perhaps GMHBA could clarify this .

Carol W.asked

Is GMHBA refunding extras to policy holders not used during COVID?

John

Perhaps a rethink on the way this question is asked may help - at least me - especially the reference to COVID
I am not aware of what may be suggested here
What exactly has prompted this question?
Is their murmuring within the ranks I know nothing about?

Carol W.

There was a mention on Channel 7 last week that some health funds were refunding portions of unused extras on policies during 2020.

John

Thanks. It is now dawning on me as to your intent ... don't follow those type of sensational Public Affairs TV shows
My response: Why expect a refund?
What about 'normal' years when 'we' don't use all of our 'entitlements'
So, why should we cry foul just because we have a political lockdown?

I did not receive a full Extras refund fr GMHBA on new spectacles, as I did not think to check if my wife had claimed earlier in the same year (mine was at a considerable cost - three sets of specs: general, reading and 'required' prescription sun glasses (early cataracts developing). If I had just held out till the new Extras year rolled over ... !

Would be nice to be able to claim 'certain extras' to support specific medical conditions, in my case, a quality BP monitor
My long history of cardiac claims (GMHBA) would surely have given some value where our GMHBA Extras have generally (I think) been on the moderate side. Not sure how this could be manageable without an even greater admin burden on the Health Fund

And where do you stop like, a no-claim bonus where we don't use our Hospital cover for any year?

On my care insurance I recently had an automatic refund of approx $250, all because I had just included one of my daughters (aged 45) as another authorized driver (not a full-time driver). I was not under any penalties on that policy, although her no-claim accident history counted towards that $250.

My only point here is flexibility if possible at all, and every case on its merit and loyalty. Thank you. John

Elke
Elkeasked

Is varicose vein treatment covered in the Bronze Plus Insurance package? It is not clear. It does not mention veins, only blood.

Jann

Try ringing them on their 13hundred number and asking.

See all GMHBA Health Insurance questions